New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like Byak was left out because he's supposed to have such good combat instincts it would have been troublesome for Pip. (Storywise not inuniversewise). Sounds like his being forced out is actually instantaneous which is why it looks like teleportation.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Deku did. It's just that lacking experience, his counter was countered and he was unable to perform a fast enough anti-counter counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds like his being forced out is actually instantaneous which is why it looks like teleportation.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm not talking about countering but just watching what happens. As a reader, WE can't tell because it's never shown. But supposedly the characters can watch in real time what happens around them and there's a huge difference between being pushed out of the ground and teleportation. Heck, you should even to some extent be able to see where he is headed, since he needs to "submerge" first if we're relly sticking as close to real physics as the elaborate explanation seems to imply. (Though, since his powers apparently work quite conveniently, maybe he can stir underground somehow? I mean, proper stirring, not just adjusting a bit)
    It might sound like I'm complaining a lot but... I just thought it was a bit cheap to have us believe he can teleport, when class A is just full of poor observers.

I forgot: Nice fourth wall break by...Tsu was it, I think?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as I can tell it sounds like his entire body instantly appears out of the ground it's not a gradual thing. where he appears seems to rely on his momentum and body position which he can sort of shift underground in the same way a diver can change their velocity in the air. (Not really sure how exactly it works for momentum though.)

4. - Top - End - #844
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, a good chapter, nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    To explain a bit about his power, the idea that we're meant to get from this is "there is no act of him moving out of the ground". He basically teleports, but in effect he gets moved REALLY FAST up to the surface. I can't find a video of it, but basically it'd look exactly like this sort of thing happening in a video game.

Anyway, this was really fun, and in the end we get to see the villain alliance is getting to work, recruiting that crazy murderer guy we saw a couple of chapters ago.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose the illusion of teleportation is because he vanishes downwards, and then seemingly appears anywhere he wants. Nobody knows where he's going to pop out next, you have to know that beforehand and be watching that spot to even have a chance to see it clearly. The fact that he has to fully submerge before reappearing is a pretty huge clue, but Class A didn't have the time for in depth analysis, and they didn't even know about the "pop up" function of his Quirk before he explained it to them (Ashido even thought he had two Quirks). I'm guessing he can orient himself while submerged and so not give away his intended location while on the surface (the diagram appears to suggest as much).

Wow, if he had been given One for All he'd be super unstoppable.

And of course All Might has a former sidekick we're only hearing about now.

Glad to see some follow up from Double's spotlight chapter.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess I'm on my own in my complaint. More amazing: Way more interest in Hero Academia than in the new One Piece

Also, any information what "sir"s Japanese name is?
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the double post but

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show

Basically a bit of backstory about how AfO was the king/bane of the underworld since he took everything apart and made himself king. And now with him lost there is a power vacuum there, too. So we get to watch the villains beat each other up. Which is kind of fun but not much is accomplished, except magnet guy and some nameless dude dying.

Next time: More flashbacks, I guess? So does(n't) not-kitty-pride know who Deku is? Because if he already does... Toshinori lied to Katsuki recently. Or maybe he wasn't told but he's smart enough to figure it out.
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Very interesting. So All For One is a mirror for All Might in that way as well. While the cops got moved to other duties, seems like the old-school criminals basically got slapped around by the supervillains, or All For One specifically. Poor Magnet dude got splattered after seeing a hint of his backstory, while the magician got his arm blown off. Still don't know what the plague doctor's Quirk is, but he seems to have an organization of his own.

Hard to tell if he'll be a recurring threat to hand man (I am so bad with names), but we've seen in the past that he's actually not that efficient of a villain leader (as the plague doctor pointed out). He's suitably creepy and is a direct threat with just his Quirk, but leadership takes more than that. He might even still be coasting on his short association with Stain. I always did wonder if he would ever rise to meet his sensei's expectations, and now we have evidence of a direct challenger.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

9. - Top - End - #849

Spoiler
    Show
    So in this chapter, Shigeraki tries to become best buds with a Yakuza gang lord. Unfortunately, the yakuza doesn't take kindly to being "friends" and so Magnes is killed and Compressto loses his arm! Dear lord this can be violent sometimes, I kinda love it. One of his buddies gets killed as well by Shigeraki, so he considers them "even". Jeez...

We end the chapter on a high note though. Toshinori is going to tell us a bit about why Pipboy failed to be a successor to Deku. Cool. I bet this'll lead somewhere important.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Firbolg in the Playground

Latest chapter:

Spoiler
    Show

Yup, this is an important chapter. It's showing that Hand-man is actually not that good at being supervillain kingpin like his mentor like he wanted, and other supervillain knows that. It mirrors how Deku is also not that good at being pillar of superhero community yet
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #851
    Bugbear in the Playground

Latest chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Mange and Mr Compress are fine. Given Twice's powers, using body doubles for a meeting like this doesn't seem out of the question. Plus, this series tends to keep the body count low when it comes to named characters.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

So... I have to say... at some point Mineta just crosses a line I wasn't aware was even there...

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, I'm not prude, I think, but this... 90% out of context line is just... "why"? Or am I overestimating the level of intelligence of the author if he thinks that was a good joke?

Anyway, after first being a bit confusing because not picking up where we left of, instead giving us some more Class 1A, we get the scene with Toshinori, Deku and Togata. Which... does not really give us what we wanted. That is, an explanation on why Deku got the power. It seems neither of the other two was that much aware of the other, Togata apparently knowing nothing and Toshinori just having a report on him. Which says he lacks the grades but has the spirit. (And no mention of being able to destroy a class full of heroes in seconds)

The thought of Toshinori and... Sir Nighteye(?) having some argument is interesting but we're just left hanging about what that means, except it being about "what AM became".
    Oh well, his introduction was interesting enough. It's nice they included the fan-hero but... did it have to be in such a scene? I mean, it's not like the Mineta moment but it's... a bit strange.
    Anyway, Deku's AM face was pretty hilarious
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... I have to say... at some point Mineta just crosses a line I wasn't aware was even there...

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, I'm not prude, I think, but this... 90% out of context line is just... "why"? Or am I overestimating the level of intelligence of the author if he thinks that was a good joke?

Anyway, after first being a bit confusing because not picking up where we left of, instead giving us some more Class 1A, we get the scene with Toshinori, Deku and Togata. Which... does not really give us what we wanted. That is, an explanation on why Deku got the power. It seems neither of the other two was that much aware of the other, Togata apparently knowing nothing and Toshinori just having a report on him. Which says he lacks the grades but has the spirit. (And no mention of being able to destroy a class full of heroes in seconds)

The thought of Toshinori and... Sir Nighteye(?) having some argument is interesting but we're just left hanging about what that means, except it being about "what AM became".
    Oh well, his introduction was interesting enough. It's nice they included the fan-hero but... did it have to be in such a scene? I mean, it's not like the Mineta moment but it's... a bit strange.
    Anyway, Deku's AM face was pretty hilarious
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's entirely possible that Mineta's line was a mistranslation, or something along those lines, it depends on who's doing the translating really. There was one other incident where this occured, during the the Bakugou vs Uraraka match. I've seen two significantly different versions of his pre-match talk to her. On the same subject apparently Bakugou doesn't swear as much as the translation leads you to believe, but his choice of words and style of speaking is apparently considered rude in the original Japanese. Not that I have any knowledge of Japanese to back this up, just stuff I've heard online.

As for the latest chapter. Nighteye is another eccentric, looks like. Maybe it's a side effect of a professional hero career. It's also a bit odd that Togata revealed the humor requirement so late into the trip. As Deku showed, it's not something that comes naturally to everyone.

The falling out between hero and sidekick is also interesting. "Became exactly what he warned me I would". Maybe, and this really is sticking my own views into it, All Might becoming such a huge symbol of justice instead became a crutch that risked destabilizing the entire country (maybe the world) by getting taken out of action in any way. Which is indeed what happened. All Might's injury was made public, and everything changed. As a sidekick Nighteye would have had the opportunity to see beyond All Might's public facade, see that the weight of not being able to save everyone was bearing down on him, that his goal while noble was not something meant for a single individual to bear.

14. - Top - End - #854

Spoiler
    Show
    Concerning Mineta's line, and translation in general...the fan translators that work on this series do have a tendancy to over swear when it comes to "a rude boy" type character. It's not without warrant, and they do a lot of good translation work, but some of their stuff can be a little off because...again, they're not professionals. I'd love to get a subscription to WSJ so I could correct any mistakes they've done but the site doesn't work for me. So I doubt it's a mistranslation, but it's likely something that "fits the general tone of what Mineta said". He probably just said something like "I'm gonna go look at some magazines" or something close to that, with the fact that Japanese is really good at providing context in the words itself, the implied meaning that yes it is to do that.

I'm...actually alright with the reveal that the only reason Togata didn't get picked is because Deku was just better. It's not some big "oh he's got a secret flaw or he's maybe evil" or anything, it's just...Toshinori met Deku and went "...this kid IS IT."

And then we get to Sir Nighteye...who is RIDICULOUS. He honestly, much like All Might himself, is drawn in such a way that he doesn't look like he's "part" of this universe, which I actually like. He's just SO INTENSE AND ANGULAR. And then he put his sidekick into a tickle torture machine for not jazzing up her report. And unfortunately, though Deku did do something funny, it's not something Sir Night finds funny...uh oh.

EDIT: OH ALSO SHIPPING. Maybe it's just me, in fact it's almost entirely just me, but the "we broke up" line made me think they did more than just be super hero and side kick. But again, literally just a spur of the moment thought.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-02-09 at 10:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I am really curious about the breakup line. It probably juar refers to their hero/sidekick relationship, which is a pretty intimate thing even without being romantic or sexual, but it definitely sounds suggestive.

16. - Top - End - #856

The fan translation everyone is reading is spiced up. The translators may swear up and down that Bakugou is very rude in Japanese so "it makes sense" for him to drop f-bombs left and right, same for Mineta's perviness, but in the end it still ends up looking like this prozd video (warning, swear words).

By the way, my first impression of Nighteye?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't like him. Having a sense of humor is fine, but finding fault that a report on serious criminal activity isn't colored up enough for his tastes? You know, the report that probably pertains to previous chapter's encounter, where several people died? If you want humor in that, but on the other hand can't find anything funny in an All Might impression, your priorities are ass-backwards.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2017-02-09 at 12:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

I really dont get why so many people, are so hysterical about the word that starts with an F and rymes with Luck. I mean, calling it a bomb certainly is silly. Its not leaving people broken or bleeding in the streets.

Else, first chapter in i dont know how long where i think the author fumbled the ball. I mean, everything in the chapter were either meh, or something i would have expected to hear people bitching about in FT...

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, Nighteyes employ should either give her boss the finger and leave, or leave and sue him for harrashment for good measure..
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #858

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I really dont get why so many people, are so hysterical about the word that starts with an F and rymes with Luck. I mean, calling it a bomb certainly is silly. Its not leaving people broken or bleeding in the streets.

Else, first chapter in i dont know how long where i think the author fumbled the ball. I mean, everything in the chapter were either meh, or something i would have expected to hear people bitching about in FT...

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, Nighteyes employ should either give her boss the finger and leave, or leave and sue him for harrashment for good measure..
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean the implication is that she signed up for this and is aware of it. She'd of left if she wasn't at least a little okay with it.

That said I do find it really odd for the series! But it's also funny and not lingered on and it's not constant, every week, without end, so no we're not reacting to it like we do with Fairy Tail. We also don't know **** about Bubble Girl other than that she's a fan character so it's not that big a deal?

Anyway, concerning swears. Excessive swearing isn't a deal breaker for some people, but for others it sure looks messy. They could get the same point across with Bakugou without him saying **** every half second. Sometimes you've gotta hold that stuff back to make it more impactfull, too.

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Excessive swears are against the forum rules, that's all. I mean I could write **** right now but it'll just get auto-censored anyway so what's the point. If you say f-bomb, at least people know what you're talking about.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I am really curious about the breakup line. It probably juar refers to their hero/sidekick relationship, which is a pretty intimate thing even without being romantic or sexual, but it definitely sounds suggestive.
    Hm... I mean, I noticed it and I guess the implication was at least intentional from the translator but I can't say whether the original script had anything like that. It could just be a joke from the translator, more so than Mineta's line.

@FT what here is similar to Hiro's fetish feast? Could the scene at the end be taken wrong by people with certain interests? Sure. Is it a repeated thing, pandering not only to certain fetishes but mainly such as rape and abuse? No. I wouldn't want this to become an ongoing theme but this is nothing compared to FT.

@swearing Katsuki doesn't drop f-bombs, because it's just his normal way to talk. Maybe it's not a literal translation of his words, but the point is, he doesn't care if he's rude or insulting, except rarely. And the best way to convey this nuance of Japanese into English is to effing have him effing include eff in effery second scene. Or more often.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #861
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the breaking up line implies that a) the relationship between an hero and their sidekick(s) is a stronger bond than simply being coworkers, since they trust each other with their lives regularly and b) the reason why AM and his sidekick aren't working together anymore is deeply personal, and they haven't parted on good terms despite still caring about each other.

About Bakugou and his way of speaking... I sort of feel like in Japanese his rude way of speaking is supposed to sound as out-of-place and tryhard-ish as his constant F-bombing sounds to us. He's a teenager, after all.

22. - Top - End - #862

New Vigilantes!

Spoiler
    Show
    And what a new chapter too! We get a cute scene with Pop and Gentle-man, hanging out with some of her fans and trying to get info from then eel boy from last chapter. They're unfortunately interrupted by meeting Iron Fist at the cafe, and then villains attacking! Only...they're not _intentional_ villains. They've all been drugged by the first true villain of the Vigilantes series...THE BEE KEEPER. Who's got BEES INSIDE HER BRAAAAAAAIN AAAAAAAH. **** the villain quirks always tend to be FREAKY AS HELL. I do NOT want to see what her face looks like under that hair sweep. And no one but Iron Fist is aware of the danger of beeeeees. I've got a feeling something bad's gonna happen.

Also, we now have a timeline for when this takes place. Ingenium is still up and around, so this takes place before Stain. We don't know HOW LONG before Stain, but "before Stain". Probably before All Might met Deku, maybe?

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New Vigilantes!

Spoiler
    Show
    And what a new chapter too! We get a cute scene with Pop and Gentle-man, hanging out with some of her fans and trying to get info from then eel boy from last chapter. They're unfortunately interrupted by meeting Iron Fist at the cafe, and then villains attacking! Only...they're not _intentional_ villains. They've all been drugged by the first true villain of the Vigilantes series...THE BEE KEEPER. Who's got BEES INSIDE HER BRAAAAAAAIN AAAAAAAH. **** the villain quirks always tend to be FREAKY AS HELL. I do NOT want to see what her face looks like under that hair sweep. And no one but Iron Fist is aware of the danger of beeeeees. I've got a feeling something bad's gonna happen.

Also, we now have a timeline for when this takes place. Ingenium is still up and around, so this takes place before Stain. We don't know HOW LONG before Stain, but "before Stain". Probably before All Might met Deku, maybe?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I wonder about the timeline now, too... We don't really have any indication but this might as well happen way before the main story. (That is, a few years) I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer...

Hm... I guess bee queen doesn't look too weird but she likely has a missing eye for her... bee hive. Well, I guess someone likes The Pain from the Cobras? Or someone else was the inspiration, it's not a unique trait I think...

It was a fun chapter overall, yeah. I'm a bit surprised Pop would react like that to the accusation of... uhm... Crawler being her boyfriend. I guess her hero and civilian persona are really quite different.

Two minot things bother me... a) That boy is 19 according to his file. I mean, yeah, 19 year olds can be pretty naive but... hell, he acts like a 9 year old.
    Also, slightly bothered by the coincidence of Bee Queen running into the heroes like that. I guess Tokyo(?) is tiny. And why does she act like she does this regularly when from all we know that's her first time injecting people with her bees?
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #864

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I wonder about the timeline now, too... We don't really have any indication but this might as well happen way before the main story. (That is, a few years) I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer...

Hm... I guess bee queen doesn't look too weird but she likely has a missing eye for her... bee hive. Well, I guess someone likes The Pain from the Cobras? Or someone else was the inspiration, it's not a unique trait I think...

It was a fun chapter overall, yeah. I'm a bit surprised Pop would react like that to the accusation of... uhm... Crawler being her boyfriend. I guess her hero and civilian persona are really quite different.

Two minot things bother me... a) That boy is 19 according to his file. I mean, yeah, 19 year olds can be pretty naive but... hell, he acts like a 9 year old.
    Also, slightly bothered by the coincidence of Bee Queen running into the heroes like that. I guess Tokyo(?) is tiny. And why does she act like she does this regularly when from all we know that's her first time injecting people with her bees?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've known some stupid ass people. The guy's just guillable, and wants friends.

I believe we're being led to believe she HAS done this before, the infesting people with Trigger Bees. As for the coincidence of her running into our heroes...well, every scheme requires a bit of luck. All meeting them REALLY did was make her able to convince the eel guy to come with her, which doesn't seem that big a deal all things considered?

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've known some stupid ass people. The guy's just guillable, and wants friends.
    Eh, it's just a bit too bad for my book but... fine.

Spoiler: SIR
    Show

So... we get a nice intro with Deku realizing Sir is as much an AM fanboy as he is. It's pretty adorable and I actually wish there was more of it. But Deku won't get the job unless he can do the impossible, that is defeat someone who can read his every move. Goodluck with that.
    The next bit seemed a bit jumbled from an outsider perspective because basically all Midoriya was told we knew already. Or not sure if knew, but suspected from what we were told. So it's a weird reveal... well, while I'd say Deku's plan is the best I can come up with I feel like he should use his great hero knowledge to find something better... Also, how the eff does AM's greatest fan apparently know nothing about his former sidekick?

also: There was a Silver Age of heroes? So could Toshinori's predecessor also make up powers on the spot?
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Show

So... we get a nice intro with Deku realizing Sir is as much an AM fanboy as he is. It's pretty adorable and I actually wish there was more of it. But Deku won't get the job unless he can do the impossible, that is defeat someone who can read his every move. Goodluck with that.
    The next bit seemed a bit jumbled from an outsider perspective because basically all Midoriya was told we knew already. Or not sure if knew, but suspected from what we were told. So it's a weird reveal... well, while I'd say Deku's plan is the best I can come up with I feel like he should use his great hero knowledge to find something better... Also, how the eff does AM's greatest fan apparently know nothing about his former sidekick?

also: There was a Silver Age of heroes? So could Toshinori's predecessor also make up powers on the spot?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems Deku knows that his power is foresight but not that it's linked to Touch and eye contact, which is fair enough really I doubt Sir would want how weak his power actually is being exposed. Seems that might actually be the theme for this part of the story, getting the most out of weak powers, I suspect the Plague doctor villain will have a weak power as well but uses it in some sort of weird way.

27. - Top - End - #867

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    They never really outright said Togata was the original choice for successor, so this is a reveal that makes that clear. I'm actually kind of glad that this scenario is happening, because it's got this wonderful feeling of "this is clearly all a test" and I kinda like that. This is like Nightwing taking up the guise of the Red Hood again, to test Terry McGuiness.

Well I mean...it's implied All for One COULD make Quirks, so maybe!

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They never really outright said Togata was the original choice for successor, so this is a reveal that makes that clear. I'm actually kind of glad that this scenario is happening, because it's got this wonderful feeling of "this is clearly all a test" and I kinda like that. This is like Nightwing taking up the guise of the Red Hood again, to test Terry McGuiness.

Well I mean...it's implied All for One COULD make Quirks, so maybe!
    Yeah, I guess. But then it's pretty clear this is a test, but the trick is what's being tested.

So... Could silver age AM see people's souls?
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #869

Yeah, I guess. But then it's pretty clear this is a test, but the trick is what's being tested.

So... Could silver age AM see people's souls?
    No, but he could see their burning spirit and love of justice.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

No, but he could see their burning spirit and love of justice.
    Hm, good point. And can give hope to the hopeless and his will, his passion for justice, incites fear in those who gave in to evil. He can even calm your anger and greed and turn them towards good.
    "What's done is done."