New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    awesome! Thanks for the link. I appreciate that though his style is distinctive, he can break out of it if he wants (for example, the Joker and Anakin pics). I always like that in an artist

Also, Erasurehead holding the cat while apparently sick (at least I think that's a thermometer in his mouth...) is creepy in a really great way

EDIT: LaZodiac: wow, you literally just changed your Avatar, didn't you?
    What's great is that the Anakin and Joker pictures still clearly are IN his style. You can tell with the lips and eyes most of all.

Also yes Eraserhead holding the cat is great. He really is our friendly neighbor spiderman.

Also yes I changed my avatar for each game thread I'm doing

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

ON second look, I suppose you are right. Still an impressive variant from his usual, even if the signature is still there :D

and RE: your avatar. I just found it amusing because I had to do a double-take since it changed from the time I started to the time I finished the post

3. - Top - End - #93

ON second look, I suppose you are right. Still an impressive variant from his usual, even if the signature is still there :D

and RE: your avatar. I just found it amusing because I had to do a double-take since it changed from the time I started to the time I finished the post
    I changed it yesterday man. I take it yo got side tracked

But yeah, that's something I really like about his art. His style is still there, even when he's drawing something drastically different. And MY god is the art good. We've seen hints of this with All Might and Stain, but I can't wait till we see some more characters who change the style of the series through their badass determination.

4. - Top - End - #94

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I changed it yesterday man. I take it yo got side tracked

But yeah, that's something I really like about his art. His style is still there, even when he's drawing something drastically different. And MY god is the art good. We've seen hints of this with All Might and Stain, but I can't wait till we see some more characters who change the style of the series through their badass determination.
    I think I already had the thread page up but hadn't read it(I 'tab for later' all the time), so yeah, it probably updated earlier and I just hadn't refreshed the page.

And yeah, I love the bits where it just gets...raw and sketchy to showcase emotion. I short, this guy is awesome, and I look forward to the series. Is this his first, or are there others I could look into? (yeah, I know, I'm just being too lazy to check)

5. - Top - End - #95

I think I already had the thread page up but hadn't read it(I 'tab for later' all the time), so yeah, it probably updated earlier and I just hadn't refreshed the page.

And yeah, I love the bits where it just gets...raw and sketchy to showcase emotion. I short, this guy is awesome, and I look forward to the series. Is this his first, or are there others I could look into? (yeah, I know, I'm just being too lazy to check)
    He's done/tried two other series before this, with varying degrees of success.

First was Oumagadoki Doubutsuen, aka Omagadoki Zoo. The story of a cute put upon girl who's working at a zoo where the animals, at night, become weird human forms. The director and her boss is...basically anime Bugs Bunny. This one was cancelled at 38 chapters.

Second was Sensei no Bulge, aka Barrage of the Battle Star. This story is about Astro, a young mechanic who works in the capital city of a vast interplanatery empire. One day, the prince of the castle comes to him and asks to switch places with him, since they look nearly identical. Hilarity and BADASS fighting ensues, as the now Prince Astro must head out to quell various uprisings and stuff. Despite lasting 16 chapters before it was cancelled it was one of the single greatest manga I've ever read. It's only problem is that it came out during the peak of Naruto's ending, and there were just too many battle series for people to care about, despite how beautiful and expressive the art is.

Now we have Boku no Hero Academia, which seems to have used it's, hehe, "Quirk"iness to capture the hearts and minds of people. It's also no coincidence that this only started to come out after Naruto finally kicked it. At 64 chapters it's safe to say that Boku no Hero's gonna last for quite awhile. While I believe Boku no Hero has surpassed Barrage in terms of quality by this point, I feel like Barrage was more of an immediate "oh my god this is amazing" type series. At least for me.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-10-30 at 09:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

So, if you haven't read this week's chapter, they're getting an anime. I hope they give it a reasonable budget to go off of and don't compress it down into 13 episodes or something.

As to the chapter itself,

Spoiler
    Show
    I liked the way they concluded the test. The only reasonable way Bakugou and Midoriya were getting to that gate was by the skin of their teeth after a lot of pain, acting out of complete desperation.

I would have been disappointed if All Might was conveniently weakened (beyond the weight handicap, of course) like by having his sickness flare up or something, or if he was forced to carry an idiot ball to make them look better. I actually assumed they were going to fail insofar as the stated objectives but pass on the deeper aspect of the test.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    So, if you haven't read this week's chapter, they're getting an anime. I hope they give it a reasonable budget to go off of and don't compress it down into 13 episodes or something.

As to the chapter itself,

Spoiler
    Show
    I liked the way they concluded the test. The only reasonable way Bakugou and Midoriya were getting to that gate was by the skin of their teeth after a lot of pain, acting out of complete desperation.

I would have been disappointed if All Might was conveniently weakened (beyond the weight handicap, of course) like by having his sickness flare up or something, or if he was forced to carry an idiot ball to make them look better. I actually assumed they were going to fail insofar as the stated objectives but pass on the deeper aspect of the test.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad they didn't win because he was weakened, because I agree that'd be kind of lame. As it stands, they where pushed to the very limit and got past by the skin of their teeth. I like it!

8. - Top - End - #98

Devil

Oh, I checked out Oomagadoki Zoo. I found it somewhat charming, but a little...off. The Quirk factor combined with the psyco factor of basically Bugs was just a bit too offputting. That and it was hard to generate meaningful conflict. That Battle one sounds fun, but I can definitely sympathize with being burned out on battle manga, especially during the Naruto/Bleach Heyday, and all the battle manga that started cropping up. (well, it still seems like there are a ton of "shounen special power battle manga" around, but I'm not sure if its getting better, worse, or just the same)
    Spoiler: Current Issue
    Show

Also, I concur. the test was quite satisfactory.
    Last edited by Susano-wo; 2015-11-01 at 05:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

What, the guy is the author of barrage of the battlestar?

I agree, that's a really good manga. And I didn't really see it as battle manga really, more..

Well I guess it's battle manga, but a more sci-fi one than fantasy ala one piece or naruto or bleach, and that by itself is kinda rare.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    What, the guy is the author of barrage of the battlestar?

I agree, that's a really good manga. And I didn't really see it as battle manga really, more..

Well I guess it's battle manga, but a more sci-fi one than fantasy ala one piece or naruto or bleach, and that by itself is kinda rare.
    Yeah he's the mangaka of Barrage. I guess "battle series" is a bit of a definition fail from me. Basically, it is a shonen action series, and fighting is involved. It's got a more sci-fi element to it (and it was really good in that too).

I guess the Japanese audience just didn't care for it. It didn't draw them in the way Boku no Hero did.

11. - Top - End - #101

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad we're getting small snippets of the other fights. We needed this and it's super great and I love it all. Tsuya is one of my favorite characters and seeing more details of her powers is cool, as well as seeing the powers of the pros. They actually are defeating them in a good way, too!

And then we have Mineta. I wonder how THAT'LL go

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad we're getting small snippets of the other fights. We needed this and it's super great and I love it all. Tsuya is one of my favorite characters and seeing more details of her powers is cool, as well as seeing the powers of the pros. They actually are defeating them in a good way, too!

And then we have Mineta. I wonder how THAT'LL go
    Tsuya seems generally popular, internet-wise. Whenever I've seen fanart or discussion about this series it's most likely to be about her.

As to the chapter

Spoiler: 67 (I'm going to start labelling them because our posts can be pretty sporadic)
    Show

I really like they made the mouse-principal's power super-intelligence, it was a neat subversion of giving him some kind of rodent-like super-abilities like Tsuya is frog-girl though also applicable to his theme because of the whole lab-rat idea.

I hope he redeems Mineta to a degree, because - yeah - he's kind of stuck in the comic relief role to the point of "why is he here, anyways?" isn't an unwarranted question. He has mediocre to good grades, but his abilities on his own are still untested more or less. I'd be great if makes shooting out sticky balls into something awesome.

13. - Top - End - #103

Devil

Spoiler: issue 67
    Show
    Yeah, I hope Mineta gets some "why am I here" type redemption. Though, on the other hand, I do want some of the core-ish cast to fail--otherwise you risk devaluing both the teachers and the successes of the students.

14. - Top - End - #104

Spoiler: issue 67
    Show
    Yeah, I hope Mineta gets some "why am I here" type redemption. Though, on the other hand, I do want some of the core-ish cast to fail--otherwise you risk devaluing both the teachers and the successes of the students.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For what it's worth, except for All-Might and the Principle they all seem to be taking it a little easy on them. I don't believe Phantasm couldn't of noticed those hand cuffs, for instance. And the situation with Present Mic totally smelt of "they put them here specifically because it'd make him easier to beat".

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

I guess the core cast is Midoriya, Bakugou, Todoroki, Uraraka, and Iida? I suppose All Might as well, though he has to be on the periphery or the story doesn't work he's still our primary perspective into the adult heroes' world.

16. - Top - End - #106

I guess the core cast is Midoriya, Bakugou, Todoroki, Uraraka, and Iida? I suppose All Might as well, though he has to be on the periphery or the story doesn't work he's still our primary perspective into the adult heroes' world.
    Yeah, I'd definitely say those five are the Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonderwoman, and Flash of the group, if we're going Justice League Parallel. The other classmates DO matter, and they're gonna get screen time as befitting secondary characters, but those five are definitely the ones who are "the face" of the series...if that makes sense.

Of course plans change all the time. Mt Lady was going to be who Uraraka was at one point in creation, and with Tsuya's growing personality she might rise up to main character.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Depends on how long this serial lasts, he probably has ideas on all of them he could use if the stars are properly aligned.

I think Yaoyorozu has the best odds at the moment. As she's one of his more potentially interesting creations and could easily fit into the - for lack of a better immediate example - Shikimaru-style fight scenes with her intellect and highly flexible Quirk. By addressing that she was near the back of the class in terms of practical heroics because she lacked confidence in her decision making, it opens the way for her to have a more pivotal role in the upcoming arc against the rising tide of wannabe villains.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2015-11-07 at 04:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

I hope he redeems Mineta to a degree, because - yeah - he's kind of stuck in the comic relief role to the point of "why is he here, anyways?" isn't an unwarranted question. He has mediocre to good grades, but his abilities on his own are still untested more or less. I'd be great if makes shooting out sticky balls into something awesome.

Well.. honestly i newer even though him funny in any way, just kinda pathetic.
    And personnaly i would just prefer if he quietly faced away.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #109

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, not bad. I was worried you were being sarcastic, because the only thing that would put me off this series is if the same people who did World Trigger animated it for like, ¥5000. It's Bones doing it and they're alright.

Though I think getting adjusted to animated All Might could take a while, he's a weirdly manga sort of thing. Like having a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character show up in Full Metal Alchemist.

21. - Top - End - #111

Oh, not bad. I was worried you were being sarcastic, because the only thing that would put me off this series is if the same people who did World Trigger animated it for like, ¥5000. It's Bones doing it and they're alright.

Though I think getting adjusted to animated All Might could take a while, he's a weirdly manga sort of thing. Like having a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character show up in Full Metal Alchemist.
    Honestly that's what I'm looking the most forward too. Seeing how they deal with the dramatic shifts in art style that happen. Imagine the Stain stuff animated.

22. - Top - End - #112

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    We get to see small snippets of all the fights, and it's pretty cool I think. It seems that two of the teams didn't succeed, poor guys. Especially since Asido is super hot and I'd like to see her in the hot spring scene that will happen they worked so hard to make it this far! Still though, was cool! I like how Mineta actually ended up coming up with a cool plan of just drawing her away and sticking her to the ground. It's a reasonable plan, and he executed it well. He basically annoyed her until she acted poorly, which is a legitimate tactic.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "F&ck me!! F&ck me sideways!!" -- c67
    Show

I wish we could have seen Ochako's take-down move, you could kind of make it out based on the before-and-after panels but I kind of wanted to see the thing. I loved Mineta's flailing about. If he's like this from now on I'll enjoy his presence in the manga.

Mostly I appreciate the speed with which this exam concluded. Well, none of Heroaca's story arcs have been tremendously long - so I'm not surprised - but it's not exactly unheard of for pacing to change in this genre. I also love this series for it's continued focus on developing its characters rather than just pushing pure action and leaving the development for training story-lines or specified emotional moments.

Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2015-11-16 at 07:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Spoiler: "F&ck me!! F&ck me sideways!!" -- c67
    Show

I wish we could have seen Ochako's take-down move, you could kind of make it out based on the before-and-after panels but I kind of wanted to see the thing. I loved Mineta's flailing about. If he's like this from now on I'll enjoy his presence in the manga.

Mostly I appreciate the speed with which this exam concluded. Well, none of Heroaca's story arcs have been tremendously long - so I'm not surprised - but it's not exactly unheard of for pacing to change in this genre. I also love this series for it's continued focus on developing its characters rather than just pushing pure action and leaving the development for training story-lines or specified emotional moments.

Spoiler
    Show

I know it's almost like this series is great or something.

So something that is definitely going to happen in the anime is we'll get to see Uraraka do her Gravity Toss take down. She managed to handcuff herself to him which is actually quite clever. I like it.

One thing I like is the translation specifically pointed out "yo by the way he's actually screaming AH **** ME over and over again in the original" because that seems like such a realistic thing someone would actually do. I like it.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

So, new chapter.

Spoiler: What a Twist!! c68
    Show

I loved this chapter. Bits of humour that genuinely made me laugh, but accompanied by plot development with some real introduction to the villains, followed by a great cliffhanger to end off with.

I like how all the time we were speculating on some twist on the exam, only to learn it didn't really matter because they were all going to a boot camp anyways. The whole lampshading the expected twist and then coming straight out with it was great.

l find the idea that the villains are following Stain's charismatic appeal and message compelling, it makes them sort of dark mirrors to Midoriya and the Yuuei kids in their admiration for All Might. It's like the groupies that follow serial killers around or the Manson family people - the sort of cult-like attraction these people can actually garner - and put into this context I find it kind of neat. Maybe because this is a world of super-powered people rather than something like Hydra, HIVE, or whatever - this is more the people who kind of disturb you on the darker parts of the Internet message boards, but having the powers of something like King's Carrie White. In that you can see something like it happening inevitably...I don't know.

Dabi has a cool macabre look to him, and Himiko's fangirl vampiric craziness is endearing. Shigaraki looks cooler without the hand on his face.

Also, on another world-building note that I like, how clothing stores have to accommodate various body-forms with all the Quirk-possessing people in the world. It would have been neat if he went further with that, I'd be curious as to what sort of cultural beauty norms proliferated in this world. None of the characters seem to have body-image issues despite their Quirk, there's no X-Men-esque dilemma "but I'm a monster now, who would love me?" kind of angst to their superpowers... which makes sense, after all they're the majority of the population now.

Lastly, I want a T-Shirt with T-Shirt written on it. Though that might be too hipster, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2015-11-25 at 08:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

So, new chapter.

Spoiler: What a Twist!! c68
    Show

I loved this chapter. Bits of humour that genuinely made me laugh, but accompanied by plot development with some real introduction to the villains, followed by a great cliffhanger to end off with.

I like how all the time we were speculating on some twist on the exam, only to learn it didn't really matter because they were all going to a boot camp anyways. The whole lampshading the expected twist and then coming straight out with it was great.

l find the idea that the villains are following Stain's charismatic appeal and message compelling, it makes them sort of dark mirrors to Midoriya and the Yuuei kids in their admiration for All Might. It's like the groupies that follow serial killers around or the Manson family people - the sort of cult-like attraction these people can actually garner - and put into this context I find it kind of neat. Maybe because this is a world of super-powered people rather than something like Hydra, HIVE, or whatever - this is more the people who kind of disturb you on the darker parts of the Internet message boards, but having the powers of something like King's Carrie White. In that you can see something like it happening inevitably...I don't know.

Dabi has a cool macabre look to him, and Himiko's fangirl vampiric craziness is endearing. Shigaraki looks cooler without the hand on his face.

Also, on another world-building note that I like, who clothing stores have to accommodate various body-forms with all the Quirk-possessing people in the world. It would have been neat if he went further with that, I'd be curious as to what sort of cultural beauty norms proliferated in this world. None of the characters seem to have body-image issues despite their Quirk, there's no X-Men-esque dilemma "but I'm a monster now, who would love me?" kind of angst to their superpowers... which makes sense, after all they're the majority of the population now.

Lastly, I want a T-Shirt with T-Shirt written on it. Though that might be too hipster, I'm not sure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dabi's quirk is almost certainly ash or fire based, considering his name. Toga Princess's quirk is clearly just blood draining, but I wonder what it does that makes it unique. That aside, it's pretty cool! I loved the interactions with these villains at the start, it was great.

The bit with Deku and their class at the school was also great. I love how Serro is the only person to fail despite winning, because he was taken out so easily. I also do like how they came clean and said that they had specific ways in mind to be beaten so that they would have a chance, but also said they weren't going to hold back at all to drive them to find the solution. It's really good teaching, actually.

Actually there was the one guy who had mind control powers who was like "...this power just MAKES ME EVIL, what can I do with legitimate pure mind control other then be evil?" but he's clearly a rarity and they helped him get over it. That aside yeah, the entire world's pretty open and I like it.

Seeing the class get together for an out of school activity was super cute. It's a thing that does happen in real life, because of how classes WORK in Japan, so it's fun to get a slice of life that way. I too would legitimately love a t-shirt with "T-Shirt" written on it. Feels like something out of One Punch Man. Poor Uraraka, getting all flustered about Deku though. It's definitely love.

And then we have the twist. Shigaraki's saying hi to Deku, in the worst way possible. We finally see his face, and it looks like bits of it are crumbling off, mostly around the eyes and lips. Must be uh...scars from when we was getting used to his power. Creepy.

Also, something I'd like to say. Some manga like say, Bleach, have the title and chapter number drop at random points within the story proper, unlike others that always have the first page be the chapter page. There is often no reason to do this. Kubo Tite, other budding artists...I want you to look at this chapter. Look at how the chapter title didn't show up until the LAST PAGE...and I want you to notice how god damn effective it is. This is how you have a late title drop WORK. Now lets go have some tea.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey remind me, I'm too lazy to skim on the manga again, but somehow I forgot. What's Shigaraki's quirk again and what's up with all those hands?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Hey remind me, I'm too lazy to skim on the manga again, but somehow I forgot. What's Shigaraki's quirk again and what's up with all those hands?
    We've yet to get an official word on what his Quirk is. What we've seen is that things he touch disintegrate relatively quickly over time. The hands are all "trophies" he kept from people trying to stop him from killing them, with the one he keeps on his face apparently specifically being his birth father's. I believe he wears it on his face because grabbing someone's face while they grab you is a reasonable maneuver, so he wears it there as a sort of symbol of "this is what you'll be fighting me" I guess?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I really loved this chapter, i though Shigaraki's previous design were kinda silly with the hands, something that made it hard for me to take him serious.

But now he actually looks really scary, and i cant wait to find out what he actually want to speak with Deku about.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I really loved this chapter, i though Shigaraki's previous design were kinda silly with the hands, something that made it hard for me to take him serious.

But now he actually looks really scary, and i cant wait to find out what he actually want to speak with Deku about.
    Same here. I do like his hand design, but without them he looks a lot more intimidating. You can see how he's got his face all torn up and dusty looking from getting used to controlling his power and that's actually kind of horrifying.

Late response because bleeeh work. New chapter should be out soon by the way, any ideas on what Shigaraki wants to talk about?