New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,481 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Slight aside, am I the only one who reads Tenya as autistic?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Slight aside, am I the only one who reads Tenya as autistic?
    He speaks in exclusively square dialogue boxes, is said to have a serious and sometimes robotic tones, and makes robot motions with his arms a lot. He is definitely autistic.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    He speaks in exclusively square dialogue boxes, is said to have a serious and sometimes robotic tones, and makes robot motions with his arms a lot. He is definitely autistic.
    He's also pretty decent at dealing with large crowds, can read peoples faces well and actually seems to go out of his way to interact with people. I would find it extremely strange for him to have autism, he just has a weird way of speaking. (Like most of the characters do.)

4. - Top - End - #1474

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    He's also pretty decent at dealing with large crowds, can read peoples faces well and actually seems to go out of his way to interact with people. I would find it extremely strange for him to have autism, he just has a weird way of speaking. (Like most of the characters do.)
    I mean so can I, doesn't mean I'm not.

I should clarify I do definitely think he's high functioning autistic, and he importantly KNOWS he is, and is doing his best to get over the difficulties it causes in his life. Also, of note, he is VERY BAD AT READING PEOPLE? He saw Deku save Uraraka back in the entrance exam arc and his thought was "oh clearly this guy has realized an aspect of the exam I didn't" when all Deku was doing was trying to save a person. I could find other examples I just don't have the time for, I think.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ettin in the Playground

• Really concerned with how he and others carry themselves
    • Takes role-playing two orders of magniture more seriously than anyone else
    • Formal speech pattern, almost like he’s anxious about making sure he gets his point across
    • Especially that mental self-coaching during his "Emergency Exit" moment.
    • Makes hand motions when he gets excited/agitated that everyone calls out as weird
    • Has trouble understanding when people are messing with him

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean so can I, doesn't mean I'm not.

I should clarify I do definitely think he's high functioning autistic, and he importantly KNOWS he is, and is doing his best to get over the difficulties it causes in his life. Also, of note, he is VERY BAD AT READING PEOPLE? He saw Deku save Uraraka back in the entrance exam arc and his thought was "oh clearly this guy has realized an aspect of the exam I didn't" when all Deku was doing was trying to save a person. I could find other examples I just don't have the time for, I think.
    When the only evidence he is is a bizarre way of speaking an moving while he evidence he isn't goes against pretty much the definition of autism I'd say it's more likely he isn't, especially in manga where having a distinct vocal and movement pattern isn't at all unusual.

The Deku example was to show where his mind was at the moment rather than a lack of understanding (He was thinking logically about it being an exam rather than just rushing in like Deku did.) remember his other thought was that he was damn close to doing it himself. Meanwhile I seem to remember him and Todoroki basically having an understanding alot earlier than Deku realised what was going on and whenever we get a look inside his head he always shows a good insight.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

pretty much the definition of autism
    Autism is a spectrum disorder. It doesn't have a set definition so much as a list of symptoms. Not everyone has All the "symptoms" and many are capable of functioning at some level. Also, my bulleted list above.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2018-02-04 at 12:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Autism is a spectrum disorder. It doesn't have a set definition so much as a list of symptoms. Not everyone has All the "symptoms" and many are capable of functioning at some level. Also, my bulleted list above.
    Except he has barely any of them.
    Ok then
    1. He's class president, that's literally his job. Also a stock character trait for characters who are/ will become class president.
    2.I don't remember what this is in reference to, when they went undercover? I imagine he was being serious because he doesn't use humour to relax and his classmate had been kidnapped was likely about to be murdered, seems pretty reasonable to me.
    3.Or he's just grown up to have a formal speech pattern, he also uses the speech pattern to family when he was younger if they where trying to make him come across as Autistic I would have expected a different speech pattern to be shown when he was younger before he got better at managing it.
    4. Or perhaps he's a teen who's about to go into an emergency situation with the possibility of killing/saving people from being trampled. I imagine anyone would have a case of the nerves at that point.
    5. Or it's just a character trait being active with his hands while talking, if we're saying that's a trait of autism (apparently the main one according to this thread) entire nations would fall under it.
    6. I don't remember an exact example of this, but again likely because he doesn't use humour to defuse the tension like alot of his classmates do and is generally pretty uptight and straight when dealing with people therefore expecting the same back otherwise. (Could be a trait yes but also not exactly uncommon even if not.)

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow.. this actually reached 50 pages? we need a new title snap!
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #1480

Except he has barely any of them.
    Ok then
    1. He's class president, that's literally his job. Also a stock character trait for characters who are/ will become class president.
    2.I don't remember what this is in reference to, when they went undercover? I imagine he was being serious because he doesn't use humour to relax and his classmate had been kidnapped was likely about to be murdered, seems pretty reasonable to me.
    3.Or he's just grown up to have a formal speech pattern, he also uses the speech pattern to family when he was younger if they where trying to make him come across as Autistic I would have expected a different speech pattern to be shown when he was younger before he got better at managing it.
    4. Or perhaps he's a teen who's about to go into an emergency situation with the possibility of killing/saving people from being trampled. I imagine anyone would have a case of the nerves at that point.
    5. Or it's just a character trait being active with his hands while talking, if we're saying that's a trait of autism (apparently the main one according to this thread) entire nations would fall under it.
    6. I don't remember an exact example of this, but again likely because he doesn't use humour to defuse the tension like alot of his classmates do and is generally pretty uptight and straight when dealing with people therefore expecting the same back otherwise. (Could be a trait yes but also not exactly uncommon even if not.)
    1: By itself yes, but taken in with everything else it can be more than just the standard "he is a prim and proper professional child"
    2: The hero fighting training where he had to pretend to be evil.
    3: This is a fair arguement, but again like with point one "everything taken together" makes it far more likely. And no, if he is a high functioning autistic person/aspergers then he would in fact be MORE likely to be that level of robot sophistication as a child. The idea is to become LESS like that, which he is clearly trying to do to some degree, so you appear more like a child and not a small adult.
    4: The specific way he encourages himself to do it matters. Admitidly I feel this is the weakest point but only because I don't remember the scene well
    5: We are not saying it's the main one, just saying it's the main visible factor. Also, Japan IS NOT A COUNTRY that has that trait and as such you've just made our own argument. It's also a SPECIFIC arm movement, the same exact arm movement, repeatedly, shown to be something he did as a child so much his brother teased him about being a robot. It's not just a hand talking thing, it's a clear physical tic.
    6: I also don't remember an exact example of this, but I can think of some examples of Iida misreading the situation because of his serious nature. Example, Deku muttering to himself as he takes note and Iida seeing this as being INCREDIBLY disruptive to the entrance exam meeting.

Again, you can believe he isn't, and we can believe he is, and ultimately we won't know if it's not confirmed in universe or not. But what we believe has far more evidence towards it than not, and speaking from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, Iida is 100% that.

EDIT: MINE NEW THREAD
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-02-04 at 01:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Indeed while I still do think it's stretching and think I could continue to dispute those points it's obvious we're probably not going to be able to sway each other baring any new conclusive evidence so best to leave the topic as we move over to the next thread and agree to disagree.

Also I'd vote for the Endeavour one as the best out of the options for the new thread title.