New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

New chapter, and a rather nice one.
    Though all the same i do think its kinda dumb, how there is seemingly such strict rules for junior heroes, that even when under attack they are not suposed to use their powers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think this time Eraser is thinking ahead, he knows that most of the kids won't hold back when they are fighting just because they aren't supposed to use their powers. This is so at the end of it all they can give the kids the praise they deserve and not have to cover it up the same way they did last time. This also means they will be able to give anyone who dies a proper eulogy while also sending the message that the Villain league can be stopped by people short of All Might and Endeavour.

Clone guys power is visually pretty damn cool as well.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Getting closer and closer for Bakugou becoming a Villain.
    I certainly see that the story is getting closer and closer to them trying to tempt Bakugou to villainy. But, this story has been pulling our legs since day one. Deku gets the power he needs to become a hero and in the triumph of being powerful breaks his limbs and nearly falls to his death, Todoroki and his change during the tournament to quickly have him falter in the next match. Not to mention a lot of the humor has them turning it right around from the expected twist. You expect that the ones that fail the test will go on the retreat as well, only to learn it's a super intense training retreat that'll be even worse for them.

This series loves to lead you to a certain conclusion only to smack you across the face and go the other way.

I fully expect them to tempt him to the side of villains, but I also fully expect the guy aiming for #1 HERO to turn around and blast them instead.

Course, there's also a good chance of them turning him into a Noumu too. o.o

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

I don't want to go their but it'd be like having a gun as a kid. You're not allowed to use it, even if you've received training, but you could actually literally kill someone for real. Laws exist for a reason.
    But you are allowed to use whatever you can get your hands on when someone is literally trying to kill you.

On the other hand, a rather good point by Spacewolf, it could be Eraser is just thinking ahead, or trying to make 100 % certain noone is holding back in any way.

Else, im behind the general consensus on Bakugou giving an explosive finger to any recuitment attemt that dont start with a massive knock to the head.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

But you are allowed to use whatever you can get your hands on when someone is literally trying to kill you.

On the other hand, a rather good point by Spacewolf, it could be Eraser is just thinking ahead, or trying to make 100 % certain noone is holding back in any way.

Else, im behind the general consensus on Bakugou giving an explosive finger to any recuitment attemt that dont start with a massive knock to the head.
    Actually yeah that's a far better explanation **** yeah go Spacewolf.

Also I agree. I fully expect them to give their whole speech about how oh it's clear Bakugou wants to be let loose, to be a villain, to be free. And then Bakugou just slams the guy into the ****ing dirt and says "I'M A ****ING HEEROOOOoOOOOOO!"

5. - Top - End - #185

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Deku relays the information that Bakugou is the one that's wanted! Not that Bakugou really cares much. We also, though we don't see the name of his quirk, learn the name of this freaky people eater in a gimp suit. MOONFISH, with the power to MAKE BLADED TENTACLES OUT OF HIS TEETH APPARENTLY WHAT THE ****. So that's creepy.

Tetsutetsu and Kendou meanwhile are going to fight that poison dude. And...we actually get a really scary scene, at least to me. We learn his power seems to work like whirlpool or typhoon of gas, making it thicker nearer to him and thus more dangerous. But most dangerous of all is the great equalizer, "A Gun". He shoots Tetsutetsu, and thankfully the guy's made of iron so I think he'll be fine but this is actually a really horrifying scene to me, because it's like..."it doesn't matter how strong they are, I HAVE A GUN. They're human, a bullet will probably kill or incap them" and that's kind of scary to me a concept. Also, they're STILL KIDS. Dude's gonna shoot a child.

Meanwhile, Deku meets up with Tokoyami and the tentacle dude! Turns out, as I suspected, it WAS the tentacle that got torn off. But uh...Tokoyami's not doing so hot. As we heard, his darkness power gets harder to control the darker it is, and it is a dark night indeed. Holy ****

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, props to the author for creating the most disturbing thing i can remember having seen in a mange so far..
    Seriously.. that thing with the teeth.. *shudders*

Also, i am actually really glad to see a gun, it brings a level of realism to the serie that i think a lot of other superhero shows and series have missed.
    Where its completely glossed over that a lot of low level supers will be defeated by something as simple as a trained gunman.
    That he will be trying to shoot them is something i am then slightly confused about how people can get worked out from. Seriously, whats the difference between a gun and the previous muscle dude wanting to pound Deku into something that looked like it had been run over by a truck?
    (also on a side note, i considder them young adults, especially those that decide to stay and fight like an adult.)

Also, wow, Tokyami really do pack a rather serious power out in the complete dark, just a shame it seems to have turned against him?

7. - Top - End - #187

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, props to the author for creating the most disturbing thing i can remember having seen in a mange so far..
    Seriously.. that thing with the teeth.. *shudders*

Also, i am actually really glad to see a gun, it brings a level of realism to the serie that i think a lot of other superhero shows and series have missed.
    Where its completely glossed over that a lot of low level supers will be defeated by something as simple as a trained gunman.
    That he will be trying to shoot them is something i am then slightly confused about how people can get worked out from. Seriously, whats the difference between a gun and the previous muscle dude wanting to pound Deku into something that looked like it had been run over by a truck?
    (also on a side note, i considder them young adults, especially those that decide to stay and fight like an adult.)

Also, wow, Tokyami really do pack a rather serious power out in the complete dark, just a shame it seems to have turned against him?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well I mean it's part of the realism thing. For a crazy psychopathic muslce man murderer, it's SCARY, and he's really intimidating, but it feels...I don't know, less dangerous some how? But this dude's got a GUN. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but a gun just seems far more scary a thing to me then a guy bulging with muscles. Maybe I'm exageratting due to how great the writing is, because like you said this isn't really ground that many series look at. Maybe it just has something to do with how Japan's got really strict gunownership laws so seeing a villain with a gun makes him seem more impressive. I don't know!

Also yeah, if Tokoyami can master and control this power he'd be bloody powerful though.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well I mean it's part of the realism thing. For a crazy psychopathic muslce man murderer, it's SCARY, and he's really intimidating, but it feels...I don't know, less dangerous some how? But this dude's got a GUN. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but a gun just seems far more scary a thing to me then a guy bulging with muscles. Maybe I'm exageratting due to how great the writing is, because like you said this isn't really ground that many series look at. Maybe it just has something to do with how Japan's got really strict gunownership laws so seeing a villain with a gun makes him seem more impressive. I don't know!

Also yeah, if Tokoyami can master and control this power he'd be bloody powerful though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the gun culture thing influences what's expected from the heroes. In Western Superhero comics/television/cartoons/movies it's common to have guns play a significant role in the action, so many heroes are either immune to them due to some level of innate/artificial invulnerability or otherwise they dodge and disarm with skill/tech of some kind. It's just expected that Green Arrow will knock guns out of hands with his archery, Batman will batarang them from the darkness, Spider-Man will Spider-Sense the danger and reflexively dodge, all the way back to faster-than-a-speeding-bullet Superman - the threat has to be elevated to something more than what the average person could produce because that's the standard for what's impressive in a Western mindset.

Here, this is the first gun we've seen, we haven't even had that scene where All Might stands heroically with his hands on his hips and chest puffed out as he shrugs off gunfire. Most of these kids - and teachers - are not in any way bulletproof. None have any training with regards to armed assailants, they aren't doing drills with simulated gunfire, they likely haven't seen a gun in person in their lives. In short, guns haven't been trivialized as a nuisance wielded by petty thugs, they're still an unknown and dangerous element.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2016-02-12 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. Europe got about as strict laws about who gets to own a gun (nobody except policemen), so it can hardly be that. I do think your letting emotions affect your judgment of whats the bigger threat though.
    I mean, the muscle-monster can move so fast he becomes a blur, and shatter rock with a punch. If he wants you dead nothing will be able to stop him besides someone else of equal power, you cant run or fight.
    Meanwhile, a gun is a lot harder to actually hit with than most people seems to think, and thats while standing still and shooting at a stationary target. You do at least have a chance of escaping in this situation.

I think the gun culture thing influences what's expected from the heroes. In Western Superhero comics/television/cartoons/movies it's common to have guns play a significant role in the action, so many heroes are either immune to them due to some level of innate/artificial invulnerability or otherwise they dodge and disarm with skill/tech of some kind. It's just expected that Green Arrow will knock guns out of hands with his archery, Batman will batarang them from the darkness, Spider-Man will Spider-Sense the danger and reflexively dodge, all the way back to faster-than-a-speeding-bullet Superman - the threat has to be elevated to something more than what the average person could produce because that's the standard for what's impressive in a Western mindset.
    Yeah, and in a lot of ways its something i think is a logical nececity. Most of the times you need whatever threat the hero deals with to be something that cant be solved with regular gunfire, else what would you need the hero for?
    The police could deal with the matter on its own.
    And if the hero is fighting crime then you do need some sort of explanation for why a random gunman dont manage to end him/her.

Here, this is the first gun we've seen, we haven't even had that scene where All Might stands heroically with his hands on his hips and chest puffed out as he shrugs off gunfire. Most of these kids - and teachers - are not in any way bulletproof. None have any training with regards to armed assailants, they aren't doing drills with simulated gunfire, they likely haven't seen a gun in person in their lives. In short, guns haven't been trivialized as a nuisance wielded by petty thugs, they're still an unknown and dangerous element.
    And i am really, really looking forward to hear what the explanation is for us not seeing any more guns so far. Because as such they are stupidly easy to get a hold of for anyone with criminal connections.
    I do wonder if its mainly a question of pride in your quirk, and that some heroes are bullet proof.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

And i am really, really looking forward to hear what the explanation is for us not seeing any more guns so far. Because as such they are stupidly easy to get a hold of for anyone with criminal connections.
    In Japan? Not so much.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

In Japan? Not so much.
    What makes Japan that much harder to either build a gun in, or smuggle one across the border?

Does the police search each and every boat that docks in all their harbors?
    Do they keep a close watch on every metal working shop?
    And are there newer stolen any of their guns?

12. - Top - End - #192

What makes Japan that much harder to either build a gun in, or smuggle one across the border?

Does the police search each and every boat that docks in all their harbors?
    Do they keep a close watch on every metal working shop?
    And are there newer stolen any of their guns?
    This might be going into a topic that's not safe for the board, but suffice to say...yes, actually, as far as I'm aware, and lets leave it at that.

Anyway, our lovely mangaka gave us a cute valentine's day picture! You can see it here.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ha ha really? That edgy bird kid has such edgy power it's crosses the line from jumping the shark and come back to amusing and playing with the trope.

Also on topic of gun, my country also don't have gun used other than by policeman and military. Sure, some criminals have guns, but it's really rare and if you got hold by a gun in a robbery it's the equivalent of someone holding an anti-materiel rifle to your head in US I guess.

There's recently a messed up drug bust recently, where the police was checking a house for one reason or another and it turned out to be a drug factory, and two policemen died. But the most interesting part is that none of the criminals had a gun. It's just... the guy inside sent a signal, and a dozen guys with machetes come crashing in and attacks the policemen. (Before you ask, yes the policemen had guns)

I'm not saying that this or that is wrong, I just want to say that I understand that it's a really different worldview compared to US where everyone and their dog can get a gun, and it goes both ways. I often see mangaka making bonus chapter where they're going to US for vacation or data collecting, and most of the time they expect (most likely tongue-in-cheekly) to see a gunfight in broad daylight or bandit-with-gun robbing them all the time.
    Last edited by Fri; 2016-02-15 at 03:13 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #194

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Shouji reveals how he and Tokoyami were sneak attacked by Moonfish, how it tore off one of his replicated limbs and wounded Tokoyami enough to cause enough stress for Dark Shadow to go overboard. Deku's got to choose betwee helping Shouji or going on to Bakugou, which is pretty intense.

We cut off to Testutetsu and YES the gas mask guy is like "...right yeah a guy here is a bulletproof." But then...he proves that he's actually quite smart and manages to wound Tetsutetsu AND tell that Kendo is fighting him too. Thankfully, Kendo uses her body growth quirk to beat the gas away, and she taunts the gasman by pointing out that hey, being a very obvious small child holding a gun means he's probably a coward...and it works, distracting him long enough for Tetsutesu to smash his face in! Heck yeah!

We then cut to Bakugou and Todoroki, the latter of whom is starting to frost over and the former of which is just getting full on maaaad. We then see that Deku came up with...a third option to the Tokoyami problem. Bring him to Bakugou and Todoroki. Nice...but dangerous. I'm curious how this'll go, I've heard a person saying that he could see Bakugou turning to evil if Deku showed up, purely because Deku makes him that stupidly angry...but we'll see.

All around, a good chapter!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

new chapter

Spoiler
    Show

Well, that were a rather strategic use of the shadow monster, letting it stomp the teeth monster into the ground like an old mushroom.
    Loved the interaction between the girls, both the love interests display of martial art, and the way the vampire wanna-bee got into her head.

Also think that Baku took things surprisingly calm when he were suddenly being escorted back to base, instead of allowed to roam free and blow **** up.
    Though curious to see if he actually will get saved, or if the vilains will be allowed to run off with him.

16. - Top - End - #196

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    This one was preeetty great. Tokoyami's Dark Shadow shows itself to be...incredibly destructive. One day, when he does get a good control of his power, he's going to be VERY strong. But for now he's just a raging beast. Good thing we needed one to defeat Moonfish.

Over with Uraraka and Tsuyu, we get...maybe not a REVEAL of Toga's quirk, but we get an idea of what it might do. Like, it's subtle, but I think at least part of her Quirk is that she absorbs the memories and feelings of people through blood. We also get...some REALLY great "deranged love stalker" facial expressions from Toga, which are just hilarious. Sadly, Toga escapes before a real fight can break out (reasonable, she knows what she can and cannot fight).

Also sadly, that wizard guy appears! He's captured Bakugou...oh dear.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    This one was preeetty great. Tokoyami's Dark Shadow shows itself to be...incredibly destructive. One day, when he does get a good control of his power, he's going to be VERY strong. But for now he's just a raging beast. Good thing we needed one to defeat Moonfish.

Over with Uraraka and Tsuyu, we get...maybe not a REVEAL of Toga's quirk, but we get an idea of what it might do. Like, it's subtle, but I think at least part of her Quirk is that she absorbs the memories and feelings of people through blood. We also get...some REALLY great "deranged love stalker" facial expressions from Toga, which are just hilarious. Sadly, Toga escapes before a real fight can break out (reasonable, she knows what she can and cannot fight).

Also sadly, that wizard guy appears! He's captured Bakugou...oh dear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if that was her recognising Mid from Gravity girls memories seemed more like she would recognise him as being Stains "Chosen", plus wannabe vampire hadn't even stabbed the girl when she went on her usual weird rant. The only thing that might be to do with her quirk is she seems to be able to unsettle people bizarrely easily so I'd guess some sort of weak emotional control. (Sort of fits with her obsession with Stain as well, the emotion controller is drawn to someone who causes strong emotions.)

Although I am tempted to put a bet on her coming over to the good guys side

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Although I am tempted to put a bet on her coming over to the good guys side
    im not, no offence, but i think you have been reading to much FT lately

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

im not, no offence, but i think you have been reading to much FT lately
    Nah I just think it would be funny her Crushing on Deku then screwing with Byak and Gravity Girls heads.

20. - Top - End - #200

Devil

::shudder:: teeth tentacle blade guy (moonfish?) Holy ****ing ****, ultimate nightmare fuel!

Also, FT?

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    ::shudder:: teeth tentacle blade guy (moonfish?) Holy ****ing ****, ultimate nightmare fuel!

Also, FT?
    Fairy Tail.

And yup! Moonfish is a creepy mother****er, even in defeat.

22. - Top - End - #202

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    So alot going on here, Laser Stomach nearly gets found out, two people that I'm assuming are from Class B nearly get chainsawed but seem to plant some sort of tracker on the new Nomu and finally the Main group take down the Wizard (who is also the baddies way out) but don't know how to free Byak and Bird guy. Unfortunately their surrounded by bad guys and Nomu is on his way back and the cats are about to get spanked by the the darkness guy.

I honestly have no idea what's about to happen.

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So alot going on here, Laser Stomach nearly gets found out, two people that I'm assuming are from Class B nearly get chainsawed but seem to plant some sort of tracker on the new Nomu and finally the Main group take down the Wizard (who is also the baddies way out) but don't know how to free Byak and Bird guy. Unfortunately their surrounded by bad guys and Nomu is on his way back and the cats are about to get spanked by the the darkness guy.

I honestly have no idea what's about to happen.
    New Chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

The wizard man escapes, but thanks to some quick thinking our heroes are able to chase after him...right into Dabi, Toga, and the copy guy. Uh oh.

Meanwhile, Spinner and the magnet man have been defeated by the cats...but Darkmist is here to save em. Oooh dear.

Poor sparkling stomach laser...maybe he's nearby enough to see what's going on with Deku and the others so he'll jump int.

Also, to answer your question Spacewolf, the girl that almost got killed by the Noumu was Yaoyaorozu, the item creation girl. Also, that tracking device will be SUPER important later on.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah couldn't tell it was her, sure she normally looks quite different. Probably just the wardrobe change.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah couldn't tell it was her, sure she normally looks quite different. Probably just the wardrobe change.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cloths, and her hair is down. We've never seen her with her hair down before.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show

Great new episode, i really love how competent the villians are, without it degrading into aizen-godmode territory.
    We got taunted by so many times where it looked like the heroes would win.
    That it were really impossible to determine if they would be able to resque their teammates or not.

28. - Top - End - #208

Show

Great new episode, i really love how competent the villians are, without it degrading into aizen-godmode territory.
    That it were really impossible to determine if they would be able to resque their teammates or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaah this was such a good chapter. You're right, so many moments where I heroes almost did it...and the villains managed to eek out a win, without looking overpowered. We had Shouji noticing Entertainer's trick...but it being a slight of hand. We had Aoyama do a VERY GOOD pinpoint laser blast that free'd the coins they were stuck in...only for Dabi to make the "save". Our heroes lost, but did a good show of it, without the villains looking bad.

Also of note, they do a lot to avoid showing us Deku's right arm. You can see it get torched by Dabi. Deku's...just having a BAD DAY.

29. - Top - End - #209

Show

I've been following the series for a while, but haven't really posted here. This sums up the arc so well that I had to reply, though.

Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    Yes, I love the fact that the villains are a serious threat, but also not insurmountable. our heroes are going to have to level up to face them properly, but it's not a superhuman gap that is seen in other shonen. It's a matter of experience and confidence, not unlocking the next super form.

I admit that I thought they were going to save their teammates just because I didn't think that the author would really let them get away with it. I suppose I was half right... Still, I really wanted to see a conversation between Bakugou and Hands, so I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I've been following the series for a while, but haven't really posted here. This sums up the arc so well that I had to reply, though.
    Thanks a lot. I do try

thinking a little closer on it. What this series has, and this chapter especially got a lot of.
    Is actual tension. The main deciding points in the battles are wits and creative use of powers. So anyone might win.
    And unlike in far to many other shonen series, then the villians here are actually allowed to win regularly enough, that the outcome is not predictable.
    This is something that this serie does better than my general favorite OP.

Dam, this talk about the villians being allowed to win, reminds me that i need to start a new manga thread.