New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Discern Distance (Cantrip - PEACH)

Discern Distance
    Divination
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0, Drd 0
    Components: S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Effect: Learn distance to nearest barrier
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

You point in any direction and learn the distance to the nearest barrier in that direction that blocks line of effect. You do not learn what the barrier is however.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Discern Distance (Cantrip - PEACH)

So... this finds walls. What use does this have? Even for a cantrip, this is remarkably useless.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Potential uses of the spell:

Finding depth of water or depth of a chasm
    Taking precise measurements of buildings
    Detecting distance to the wall or ceiling in a dark area or when blind
    Detecting invisible walls
    Discovering illusions of walls

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Potential uses of the spell:

Finding depth of water or depth of a chasm
    Taking precise measurements of buildings
    Detecting distance to the wall or ceiling in a dark area or when blind
    Detecting invisible walls
    Discovering illusions of walls
    Wow, with all those uses it's almost 1st level material!

Seems like a solid cantrip to me.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's cantrip material at best, given that those uses can be duplicated in some cases with a rock with a rope tied to it, or with a piece of chalk and rope, or a spyglass.

I guess, if you need to know in inches how far away that wall is, then it's fairly useful. And it'd be good for fighting a terrain-altering illusionist.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This is a really useful cantrip as useful than other. It could be useful in general especially for every scholastic pedant. And its really useful when you are blinded.
    What block line of sight? that would be clarify (darkness, failed if out of spell range, fog, trees, paper, living creatures....) however i like it as other cantrip more,more,more....
    I am willing and able to evaluate and critique homebrew material. PM me a link if you want an evaluation or a critique. If this applies to you too, put this in your sig.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by herbe View Post
    What block line of sight? that would be clarify (darkness, failed if out of spell range, fog, trees, paper, living creatures....) however i like it as other cantrip more,more,more....
    Here's the description of what line of effect is:

Line of Effect

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.
    So no, darkness and fog doesn't block it. It could only find a creature if they were big enough to block line of effect...pretty damn big that is, and it would depend on what angle you're aiming at. It could detect a tree trunk wide enough to block line of effect but not a narrower trunk. A paper wall could block it. If there was no barrier within range you'd simply detect nothing, which would still be useful information.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2010-04-06 at 03:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'd let it last a duration of one minute per level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    I'd let it last a duration of one minute per level.
    Cantrips don't normally increase per level; it might almost make them useful Edit: Granted, the spell range does increase, and I don't think it really would matter much either way.

Nice little spell! I'd certainly add it to my spellbook
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2010-04-06 at 03:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Me too
    and thanks for clarification to Lysander
    I am willing and able to evaluate and critique homebrew material. PM me a link if you want an evaluation or a critique. If this applies to you too, put this in your sig.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Cantrips don't normally increase per level; it might almost make them useful Edit: Granted, the spell range does increase, and I don't think it really would matter much either way.

ok then, make it a flat one minute. The point is to avoid the meta cheese in which the player points at the ledge in the chasm and misses the pit of despair either side 9or vice versa).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ok then, make it a flat one minute. The point is to avoid the meta cheese in which the player points at the ledge in the chasm and misses the pit of despair either side 9or vice versa).
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Nothing wrong with a one minute duration.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The best way to do that probably is to change it from instantaneous to concentration with a maximum duration of 1 round/level. Each round you could point in a new direction.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

would it really do that much harm just to let it last for concentration? (and is casting another spell while casting a concentration spell legal?)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    would it really do that much harm just to let it last for concentration? (and is casting another spell while casting a concentration spell legal?)
    No, it isn't.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

IF the GM is doing his job right and NOT giving accurate ranges to distant enemies casually, then this could be good for making sure you really ARE in range to start blasting before springing a surprise attack.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.