New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Good, the Bad and the Monk, a 5e Monk guide

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
    Why is Ranger 1 better than Fighter 1? Second Wind and Con Saves (while not earth shattering) are better than Natural Explorer and Favored Enemy.

Ranger 2 is better than Fighter 2 (although the Fighter 2 is no slouch with Action Surge), because you get Ranger spells, but for a one level dip, I'd say Fighter eeks out a win.
    Ranger 1 is better because it's required to get to Ranger 3 haha.

But just to check, are you talking about taking the Fighter dip as your 1st level? Because if not then you don't get Con save proficiency.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    For ranged, you aren't getting that anyway. This is compared to the short bow, which is the only comparable option monks have (can they use light crossbows?).

And I forgot Ranger was a half-casting class, and so don't get Hunter's Mark until 2...
    I guess my point is... if you are going for a ranged monk... why are you doing monk at all?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I guess my point is... if you are going for a ranged monk... why are you doing monk at all?
    So you can have an option for damaging while you close? To leverage Deflect Missiles in a ranged duel? To use the ability climb up walls and jump really high to exploit sniper nests?
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

4. - Top - End - #64

So you can have an option for damaging while you close? To leverage Deflect Missiles in a ranged duel? To use the ability climb up walls and jump really high to exploit sniper nests?
    Not bad ideas, just not great ideas for the monk.

As far as closing the gap, you'd be able to do this just fine with ranged monk weapons like the short bow or dart. Dipping Fighter 1 to get a d8 bow as opposed to the d6 bow doesn't seem worth it.

In terms of sniper spots or Deflect Missiles as a dueling ability, this isn't terrible, but monk's high movement already let them hit and then get away from most enemies. And in terms of absorbing ranged damage, this is limited by how much Ki the monk can afford to spend. For my tastes, it would make more sense to burn a Ki to close he distance on the ranged attacker and force them to deal with you hand to hand, giving them disadvantage on their ranged attacks or switch to melee, rather than burn lots of points over multiple turns to absorb just a handful of damage. Especially when the Rogue can use a sniper ranged attack to reduce damage easily with Uncanny Dodge AND gain an actual tactical advantage from sniping with Sneak Attack.

Again, not bad uses of Fighter levels with monk... but I wouldn't try and use it as a stand-alone case for a Fighter 1/Monk X build.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Not bad ideas, just not great ideas for the monk.

As far as closing the gap, you'd be able to do this just fine with ranged monk weapons like the short bow or dart. Dipping Fighter 1 to get a d8 bow as opposed to the d6 bow doesn't seem worth it.

In terms of sniper spots or Deflect Missiles as a dueling ability, this isn't terrible, but monk's high movement already let them hit and then get away from most enemies. And in terms of absorbing ranged damage, this is limited by how much Ki the monk can afford to spend. For my tastes, it would make more sense to burn a Ki to close he distance on the ranged attacker and force them to deal with you hand to hand, giving them disadvantage on their ranged attacks or switch to melee, rather than burn lots of points over multiple turns to absorb just a handful of damage. Especially when the Rogue can use a sniper ranged attack to reduce damage easily with Uncanny Dodge AND gain an actual tactical advantage from sniping with Sneak Attack.

Again, not bad uses of Fighter levels with monk... but I wouldn't try and use it as a stand-alone case for a Fighter 1/Monk X build.
    Most monk builds with fighter levels are really gunning for fighter 2 or 3. This was more to argue that the first fighter level does have some nice stuff for a monk, even if it's not worth the dip in its own. Mainly, the argument is that Fighter 1 is not a dead level for a monk, they do get some nice perks.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

6. - Top - End - #66

Most monk builds with fighter levels are really gunning for fighter 2 or 3. This was more to argue that the first fighter level does have some nice stuff for a monk, even if it's not worth the dip in its own. Mainly, the argument is that Fighter 1 is not a dead level for a monk, they do get some nice perks.
    Fair enough!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Hello there!

I really hope that I'm not bothering you and that you don't get asked this too many times but basically my Fiancée is an avid D&D fan and I'd like to join him in a game he's DM'ing. I wanted to play as a monk, as they strike me as a very interesting class too play. So I looked around for a guide as this was my first time making a character and until my copy of the handbook comes tomorrow, the PDF's are slightly confusing so I wanted it to go a little smoother. Anyway, I used your guide as a help but after finally making my char! I realised your thread on Monks was from July 2015. Do you think it'd still be current as it's all 5e or have you refined it in a way that I'd be gimping my char if i rolled with what i have? I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any correspondence in reply, thank you!

Kieron. :)

I wanted too send this to OP but his inbox is full aha, can anyone else help me. :)

8. - Top - End - #68

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thalfir View Post
    Hello there!

I really hope that I'm not bothering you and that you don't get asked this too many times but basically my Fiancée is an avid D&D fan and I'd like to join him in a game he's DM'ing. I wanted to play as a monk, as they strike me as a very interesting class too play. So I looked around for a guide as this was my first time making a character and until my copy of the handbook comes tomorrow, the PDF's are slightly confusing so I wanted it to go a little smoother. Anyway, I used your guide as a help but after finally making my char! I realised your thread on Monks was from July 2015. Do you think it'd still be current as it's all 5e or have you refined it in a way that I'd be gimping my char if i rolled with what i have? I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any correspondence in reply, thank you!

I wanted too send this to OP but his inbox is full aha, can anyone else help me. :)
    Thalfir: sounds great!

The monk has not changed, nor have any of the mechanics. They have added some things through pdf downloads, but I always recommend staying in the player's handbook while learning the game either way.

1. Totally still current, not at all gimping your character.

2. Don't be afraid to ask to change your character if it does not play the way you like. My first character was a monk, and I loved it though I was entirely ineffective (bad dice rolls on all attacks, damage always very, very low; all my best rolls were for skills). My second character was a wizard. I liked that. My third character was a paladin. I hated that, and asked to change it after two sessions, and then got a fighter-rogue which I loved.

3. Take a moment to define your fun: do you like being the best and succeeding? Do you like playing a character, faults and all? Me - I'm more of a play-the-character type. I like taking a less-than-optimal action/approach if it fits the character. I really have to be careful with that when I am at a table where everyone wants to make the absolutely most optimal move possible.
    My Philosophies:
    Encounter Design Philosophy
    Enemy Design Philosophy
    My Incomplete Complete 5e Character Creation Rework

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Hello there!

His information is still great! If you would like to post your build, I would be happy to help critique it when I have time.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello there!

not much has changed since 2015. that said, the guide has been updated since then anyways. scroll down to the bottom of the individual posts and you'll notice the last edit was march 11, 2016 on the first one, for example.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thank you for your replies!

In response to the first, I'm not at all concerned about being the best as the 3 other guys he'll be dm'ing are all D&D veterans in some form or another and will be playing their favoured characters from games such as Pathfinder, albeit with whatever alterations they need too, this is just me making an effort and trying too help the group in the new adventure he's setting up! So being the best isn't what I'm after, just passable usefulness, if you will aha.

How would you like me too post it. I don't have a character sheet PDF as of yet although i can procure one, so far I've been reading each section of the PDF and noting down char build dice rolls, stats etc in Notepad, with a small, notes-like character background that I'll expand on. As a student of English Literature, I'll be expanding heavily on my characters story haha. So! would you like the copy pasta of the notepad or is there a more preferable way of giving you my initial build? :)

Kieron

12. - Top - End - #72

GreenSorcererElf

Normally its something like....

Name:
    Race / Background choice:
    Class/subclass:

Stats: *you can also say that you are rolling stats and have not done so yet, or you are taking point buy, or going for the standard array.
    Str:
    Dex:
    Con:
    Int:
    Wis:
    Cha:

Starting level, desired progression (like, I'm going to pick up such and such feat at level 4....).

Bio and concept (about 1-2 paragraphs?), including how you want the story concept to play mechanically. "I would like to charge up and shoot fireballs", for example.
    Last edited by gfishfunk; 2016-06-08 at 11:08 AM.
    My Philosophies:
    Enemy Design Philosophy

Please leave feedback or PM with thoughts. I'm always trying to refine my approach.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

EDIT: All stats were rolled in accordance with the book. :)

Kivalur

Illuskanian Human Variant Sailor
    Monk
    Human
    9 str +1
    16 dex +1 (+1 from Variant)
    12 con +1
    7 int +1
    14 wis +1 (+1 from Variant)
    9 cha +1

Starting level 1.

I'll look through what progression I'd like too do, as since i cant choose a monastic tradition at level 1 i didn't look yet! :)

As i said, note-like, incredibly basic background that may include illogical situations as I know nothing about the universe and it's hidden rules and such:

monk till 30 y/o, dropped off with a travelling monk by parents who had fallen into ill favour with their Lord and didn't expect to live too see another summer.
    They had but one request, if ever an opportunity came for me to take too the see, allow him too as they were sailors, its in my blood.
    joined merchant crew/possibly visited to trade with monastery, asked if any monks were available to start a new path, join them as protection/see the world/spread information, Abbot suggested me.
    Joined merchant ship, sailed for five years with crew, grew too bond with the crew.
    Stopped at port one day and went too fetch supplies, ship had left as i returned too port, never found out why and learned that the next destination we had in mind was never visited by boat from information gathered.
    Decided to return too monastery although far away, meet up somehow, story start. (Review and fix with Anthony)
    Last edited by Thalfir; 2016-06-08 at 11:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

GreenSorcererElf

Looks solid, but there might be a bit of confusion over human v. variant human.

You will need to choose only one of the two following options:

1. Human gives +1 to all stats, which I see that you added.

2. Human variant gives +1 to only two stats, which I see you also added, and adds an additional feat and skill proficiency. If you are only looking at pdfs right now, you probably won't see the human variant stuff yet. Its in the player's handbook, though.
    My Philosophies:
    Enemy Design Philosophy

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gfishfunk View Post
    Looks solid, but there might be a bit of confusion over human v. variant human.

You will need to choose only one of the two following options:

1. Human gives +1 to all stats, which I see that you added.

2. Human variant gives +1 to only two stats, which I see you also added, and adds an additional feat and skill proficiency. If you are only looking at pdfs right now, you probably won't see the human variant stuff yet. Its in the player's handbook, though.
    Fantastic! I DID think it was slightly OP too get both which is why i added them at the end of each line rather than incorporating them into the value straight away, thank you very much for clearing that up! I'll probably stick with variant then and adjust stats accordingly. I'm glad it looks okay though, I'll tweak it a bit when my manual comes tomorrow, thanks for your help!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Fantastic! I DID think it was slightly OP too get both which is why i added them at the end of each line rather than incorporating them into the value straight away, thank you very much for clearing that up! I'll probably stick with variant then and adjust stats accordingly. I'm glad it looks okay though, I'll tweak it a bit when my manual comes tomorrow, thanks for your help!
    I'll put out a few thoughts on your options for the path in spoilers, so you don't accidentally look when you didn't mean to yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that the two SCAG paths are off the table. That is a shame, Long Death would have been friendly for a newbie with its temporary HP and survival ki ability.

For the three PHB paths, they create some interesting options.

Open Hand is probably the simplest, and meshes well with a sailor mentality. Your low Wisdom could be a problem. However. Much of the power of the Open Hand comes from the great options it adds on to Flurry of Blows. Two of those rely on saves, and your save DC is set by your Wisdom.

Shadow is the least reliant on saves, so this could be a nice path for you, if rather odd for your background. With this, you can focus on Dexterity and never worry about Wisdom outside of AC (which you are progressing in with Dex) and your Stunning Strike. I think this might be the best mechanical option for your character, but personality matters more.

That leaves 4elements. This is a mixed bag to say the least, and I would get some input from your DM. If the campaign will have a lot of water in it (naval campaigns are awesome!), Shape the Flowing River would be great enough to justify this otherwise rather touchy path. Water Whip may rely on a save, but both it and StFR could be very thematic for your background.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Okay thank you for that, what I'll do is find those that you've mentioned when my manual comes today and see which I'd prefer to work towards, and set myself up for it in my background. Writing the background is my favourite part so it should be fun to allude to what he wants his tradition to be and how it'll empower him! :)

18. - Top - End - #78

I'd like to see this updated with the two monastic traditions from SCAG. Particularly the Sun Soul.
    Who doesn't want to be a saiyan?

(I've been thinking my most preferred combinations would be:
    Sun Soul Air Genesai - for a saiyan that can blast enemies from above via Levitate
    Sun Soul Aarakocra - for best stats and a saiyan that can actually fly... though I don't really want to be a short-lived birdman lol; I'd rather just use Winged Boots
    Shadow Wood Elf - for best stats and even better stealth
    Shadow V. Human - for Mobile feat to really make the Shadow Step feature sing... or for Skulker

I don't think any race features really enhance Open Hand or Long Death features in particular. Am I missing any combos?
    Edit: I guess the mobile feat could provide insurance for those times when you're counting on your Open Hand Techniques to get you back out of trouble, but the enemies succeeded their saves. I just don't think that's quite as good of a combo as the others, though.
    Edit Edit: I just found out about the Feral Winged Tiefling variant, giving 2 Dex and a base 30ft fly speed. More attractive than the Aarakocra, even though it gives 1 Int instead of Wis.

So Sun Soul Feral Winged Tiefling - for 2 Dex and a saiyan that can actually fly, plus has darkvision and resistance to fire.
    Or maybe similarly altered Aasimar for 2 Dex and 1 Wis? If that's an option, then I think we've found our perfect Sun Soul.)
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2016-06-22 at 04:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    I don't think any race features really enhance Open Hand or Long Death features in particular. Am I missing any combos?
    Edit: I guess the mobile feat could provide insurance for those times when you're counting on your Open Hand Techniques to get you back out of trouble, but the enemies succeeded their saves. I just don't think that's quite as good of a combo as the others, though.
    Half-Orc ... kinda...
    you get an extra damage dice on crits,
    and you are harder to kill, since you can go to 1hp instead of 0hp or less once per day.

but their ability score bonuses don't stack all that great with monks in general.
    Last edited by N810; 2017-07-31 at 08:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    I'd like to see this updated with the two monastic traditions from SCAG. Particularly the Sun Soul.
    Who doesn't want to be a saiyan?

(I've been thinking my most preferred combinations would be:
    Sun Soul Air Genesai - for a saiyan that can blast enemies from above via Levitate
    Sun Soul Aarakocra - for best stats and a saiyan that can actually fly... though I don't really want to be a short-lived birdman lol; I'd rather just use Winged Boots
    Shadow Wood Elf - for best stats and even better stealth
    Shadow V. Human - for Mobile feat to really make the Shadow Step feature sing... or for Skulker

Edit: I guess the mobile feat could provide insurance for those times when you're counting on your Open Hand Techniques to get you back out of trouble, but the enemies succeeded their saves. I just don't think that's quite as good of a combo as the others, though.)
    Although the ability scores don't match up as well, Long Death gnomes are great for that advantage for Int, Wis, and Cha saving throws. Between the temporary hp buffer and the ability to convert ki points to survive hp assaults, remaining free of the deleterious effects of the mental saves keeps them even harder to kill. Svirnefblin can also get that feat for additional utility.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry to bump an old post.
    New to the forum and the game and wanted to get an opinion if a catfolk build would be viable as a monk. Didnt see it listed in the original post.
    The natural claws as an unarmed attack and the dex bonus seems to be a natural fit for the monk build though.
    But as I said, I'm new to the game.
    Thoughts?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Davidbusta88 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old post.
    New to the forum and the game and wanted to get an opinion if a catfolk build would be viable as a monk. Didnt see it listed in the original post.
    The natural claws as an unarmed attack and the dex bonus seems to be a natural fit for the monk build though.
    But as I said, I'm new to the game.
    Thoughts?
    There isn't an official cat folk race (though there are rumors that the jaguar-people will be in Volo's). You will have to show which homebrew you are using.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

just about any race and class combination can be viable. if it has a dex bonus, that certainly helps. that said, i don't think there's an official catfolk race yet. so i have no idea if any of the other things you mentioned have any synergy. for example, if the catfolk modifies your unarmed strike, the claws are useful for a monk (grants access to a damage type with your unarmed strike that you wouldn't otherwise have). if they give you a natural weapon, it doesn't combine very well with monk at all.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The version I had in mind is from dandwiki
    They have a catfolk race for 5e that sounded fun to work with.
    Bummer it's not official. On a second look around I saw a number of other versions.
    Guess as a newbie I should stick to the player handbook and stay away from new custom races to start with.
    Thanks anyways

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

The version I had in mind is from dandwiki
    They have a catfolk race for 5e that sounded fun to work with.
    Bummer it's not official. On a second look around I saw a number of other versions.
    Guess as a newbie I should stick to the player handbook and stay away from new custom races to start with.
    Thanks anyways
    As a good general rule, you can refluff PHB races and it should be fine. Elf is popular for catfolk.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the tip! I had myself set on a monk class due to the unarmed style of fighting being appealing to me.
    I'll look over the elf builds and see if I can adapt one. How will I know if I built it too OP though?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Thanks for the tip! I had myself set on a monk class due to the unarmed style of fighting being appealing to me.
    I'll look over the elf builds and see if I can adapt one. How will I know if I built it too OP though?
    If it's in the PHB, probably fine. You could also grab Aarakocra with a full 30' speed and a climb speed. Or Razorclaw from UA.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Wood elf would make a lot of sense. Extra speed and stealth sounds like a cat oriented ability.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think the half-Orc is an underrated monk class. Extra crit for a class with a lot of hits, extra tankiness for a class that needs it, +1 con, and I play as a monk grappler, so the +2 str. really helps out. I love to hold two opponents still and deal heaps of damage to them with my forehead.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for all the advice.
    This is what I have come up with to start with based on other races abilities Ive found while searching through elves and other builds online for what kinds of skills are common throughout the different races.

Obviously have to fill out the character info, but I will do that if Im even on the right track with this.
    Without further ado...

Pantherinae

Ability Score Increase - +2 Dex

Age – Reach maturity 15 , live up to 100 - 125

Alignment – Lawful – Good, neutral and evil based on clan.

Size - Varies – small, medium and large based on subraces

Speed – 30 movement.

Abilities for the Pantherinae

 Dark Vision – Can see up to 60 feed in dim light
     Feline Grace – Proficient in Acrobatics and stealth. You resist all fall damage
     Claws – Retractable claws are proficient weapons – 1d4 and can attack twice if unarmed. At level 6 1 d6, level 12 1d8

Subraces

Amurr Cats (Tundra)

Ability Score Increase - +1 Str

Size – Large only

Abilities

 Thick Fur –have increased AC (+1) and resist cold damage
     Menacing – Gain proficiency in Intimidate Skill
     Relentless Endurance – Once per rest, can only be killed outright, otherwise reduced to 1 hitpoint.

Tigris

Ability Score Increase - +1 Charisma

Size – Small or medium

¬Abilities for the Tigris
     Feline Nimbleness – Pantherinae ( Small or medium only) can move through the space occupied by another creature.
     Camouflage – You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, snow, mist and other natural phenomenon.
     Pouncing Stance – May drop to all fours as a free action. Movement speed is now 40. All weapon attacks are at disadvantage.