New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition VI: Clever Girl...

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

Also, does anyone else keep changing their ideas? I've gone through about three or four, and none of them work well with the type restriction! The Monstrous Humanoid one is pretty harsh, I must say. No Feral templates...
    Well since final type is What matters just change it again to a legal type

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    If you feel it wouldn't break immersion for your build to have a particular piece of equipment, or you think the equipment advances your abilities enough to warrant mentioning, go ahead and bring it up. Just keep in mind that, in the past, some judges have frowned on the inclusion of equipment.
    Frustrating. Fair enough. Old iron chef rules it is thanks for the heads up I'll build accordingly
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. Tentatively in to compete.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Frustrating. Fair enough. Old iron chef rules it is thanks for the heads up I'll build accordingly
    I mean, given this round's theme, I feel as though equipment shouldn't be that much of a factor anyways.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, given this round's theme, I feel as though equipment shouldn't be that much of a factor anyways.
    I don't see how that follows. Am I missing something?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

I don't see how that follows. Am I missing something?
    It's the unthinking part. You could quite easily enter something with Int 1-2 this round. They aren't know for being tool users.

Also, what is this "Old Iron Chef" vs. "New Iron Chef" thing you are talking about? I haven't noticed any difference.

Signature of Holding

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Until recently in Iron Chef gear discussion was frowned upon. It was not explicitly illegal, but judges were not discouraged from penalizing. As per the recent addition you are allowed to discuss gear so long as the item is not necessary for your build to function (like using an item to raise your stat high enough to take a feat the SI requires).
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    It's the unthinking part. You could quite easily enter something with Int 1-2 this round. They aren't know for being tool users.

Also, what is this "Old Iron Chef" vs. "New Iron Chef" thing you are talking about? I haven't noticed any difference.
    Ok. That makes sense. By new I was only talking about the equipment policy which recently changed to allow us to talk about equipment.

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Two questions:

1. My creature has racial Hit Dice and starts at CR 6. How should I provide for that in the varying CRs?
    2. How RAW specific are you going to be on Warshaper Entry? If a creature has an ability that is essentially alternate form but is not called Alternate Form, will it qualify?

Thanks
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Ok. That makes sense. By new I was only talking about the equipment policy which recently changed to allow us to talk about equipment.
    But you've always been allowed to talk about equipment, and for the most part, the only penalties I've seen were when the equipment was required for your build to function. Did I miss a round or two in recently where several judges came down hard on even talking about equipment? (I've been mostly out of touch for the last 8 months or so).

Signature of Holding

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    But you've always been allowed to talk about equipment, and for the most part, the only penalties I've seen were when the equipment was required for your build to function. Did I miss a round or two in recently where several judges came down hard on even talking about equipment? (I've been mostly out of touch for the last 8 months or so).
    short answer: yes. we're now allowed to talk about equipment without being slammed, as the viscount explained. the FAQ's been updated.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    How RAW specific are you going to be on Warshaper Entry? If a creature has an ability that is essentially alternate form but is not called Alternate Form, will it qualify?
    I'm not the DM, but for what it's worth, the entry requirements for Warshaper actually state that Alternate Form isn't enough to qualify. You need something closer to the Change Shape supernatural ability, the Polymorph spell, or an ability like Wild Shape.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

short answer: yes. we're now allowed to talk about equipment without being slammed, as the viscount explained. the FAQ's been updated.
    Would you mind PMing me some of the judge results that led to this being a defined thing? As an occasional Iron Chef judge, I want to be sure I don't screw something up.

Signature of Holding

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Say, I'm wondering how many of our judges can time travel? It seems as though that'll be the only way they can meet the deadline for build judgments...

Also, does anyone else keep changing their ideas? I've gone through about three or four, and none of them work well with the type restriction! The Monstrous Humanoid one is pretty harsh, I must say. No Feral templates...
    We all frequent the 3.5 subforum and participate in optimization contests; I'm pretty sure we know a way to get a free Teleport Through Time spell. Still, for the sake of the time-space continuum, I'll change the judgement deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    Two questions:

1. My creature has racial Hit Dice and starts at CR 6. How should I provide for that in the varying CRs?
    2. How RAW specific are you going to be on Warshaper Entry? If a creature has an ability that is essentially alternate form but is not called Alternate Form, will it qualify?

Thanks
    1) Unless your RHD change over time, they have no effect on CR beyond the listed CR in the creature entry; if you advanced the creature's RHD, you advance its CR according to the monster advancement rules. If your RHD is your entire CR, then you represent lower CRs as more limited amounts of RHD; if this isn't possible, then you only showcase the CRs that your RHD allow for, which may result in an Elegance penalty, depending on the judge's opinions.

2) If a creature does not possess one of the five listed methods of qualifying (or anything close enough for government work), their build will be illegal; depending on the judge in question, this may result in a minor Elegance penalty, a major Elegance penalty, a minor Power penalty, or a complete recalculation of your Power based on your not actually having that PrC. Again, this depends on the judge in question's opinion, so YMMV.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Ahhh, and there's Vizzini.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Crap. Just noticed something which really screws with my idea. Need to do some fiddling and probably scale back some of the more ambitious aspects of it, which is a shame.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Crap. Just noticed something which really screws with my idea. Need to do some fiddling and probably scale back some of the more ambitious aspects of it, which is a shame.
    banlist mustve got you. it's slippery.

Iron Chef Medals!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

banlist mustve got you. it's slippery.
    Actually, no. Not in this case. I failed to read some fine print in an ingredient, and that's turned out to be a problem.

Actually, the first idea I had, that I had thought fell into the ban list's gravitational pull might actually be able to slingshot around it.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Actually, no. Not in this case. I failed to read some fine print in an ingredient, and that's turned out to be a problem.

Actually, the first idea I had, that I had thought fell into the ban list's gravitational pull might actually be able to slingshot around it.
    Gotta love that type pyramid

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Gotta love that type pyramid
    ...whether you want to or not.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Ahhh, and there's Vizzini.
    The first idea I had for this contest, given the criteria and restrictions, was so blindingly obvious to me that I don't have the heart to stat it up.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Vizzini or not, my build is finished and sent!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

I have an idea, and I think it's a pretty good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Regardless of what happened, I welcome WeaselGuy's Weasel into our little community.
    My Extended Sig!

Weaselguy's Index of Handbooks and Guides (3.x Ed)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi everybody. I'm new here, but I think I want to enter a build. I have some questions, mostly about stats but also some clarification on template stacking, that I would rather not ask publicly because I don't want to give anything away. Is there anyone I should pm to get some answers?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by professortoast View Post
    Hi everybody. I'm new here, but I think I want to enter a build. I have some questions, mostly about stats but also some clarification on template stacking, that I would rather not ask publicly because I don't want to give anything away. Is there anyone I should pm to get some answers?
    Welcome. PM AvatarVecna, as this round is his creation. You'll probably be well served to quote any specific rulings he makes somewhere in your writeup, if you think the ruling may be contentious.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Whew. Got my entry in. Might try to do a second one over the weekend.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Just entered the strangest build I've ever done. Thanks to the chairperson, I forgot to write as such in the PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Really, really looking forward to the reveal on this one.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Just entered the strangest build I've ever done. Thanks to the chairperson, I forgot to write as such in the PM.
    aaaaaand submitted. that was a blast. thanks for posting in ic about this, avatarvecna, I hadn't heard of this contest before, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Really, really looking forward to the reveal on this one.
    me too. it's shaping up to be a very diverse round.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Time's up everybody! I would've done this at midnight GMT on the dot, but work got real busy for a while there. Anyway, no posting until I've given the all-clear!

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

No...t'was clinical depression that killed the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Surcease of Sorrow
    Surcease of Sorrow
    Invisible Stalker 8/ Stalwart Sorcerer 3/ Divine Crusader 9/ Divine Agent 1.

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
    “Sir,” said I, “or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
    But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
    And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
    That I scarce was sure I heard you”—here I opened wide the door;—
    Darkness there and nothing more.

Spoiler: Character Description
    Show
    Surcease of Sorrow is a euphemism. It’s kinder to say than to describe its victims. No one in the city knows its cause or how to stop it, and it happens every month now. Something about our culture, they’ll say in the taverns, just makes a man let go.

The signs are well known, by now. Someone, usually overworked, will complain to their friends that they feel like they’re being followed by a raven. When they try to sleep, they hear and see the long-dead, whispering terrible things. Some spellcasters report that there are invisible symbols telling them to kill themselves.

Eventually the victim is found dead. Sometimes because their wrists have been slit, other times from nightmares. Sometimes, they seem like they’ve been scared to death. It predates on civilized society. It is nourished by that loneliness in the crowd, by the “probably nothing” of urban life. It can’t be stopped because neither magic nor medicine can find its cause.

Surcease of Sorrow is an invisible stalker. It has learned some sublime horror, connected to some terrible power— perhaps of Ilsensine, deity to mind flayers, perhaps to something more sinister. It uses illusions to torture its target and leaves then erases invisible arcane marks encouraging them to take their own life. Its magic is as difficult to detect as it is to see. Surcease of Sorrow hides under the bed, not breathing, not sleeping, but waiting. As its connection to its dark patron grows stronger, it conjures Nightmares and Phantasmal Killers to end its victims suffering. But its greatest asset is the city. It is the manifestation of “none of my business” and “it’s probably fine.” It expands into the spaces where “are you alright?” should be. Every other beast is kept out by the light and noise and law of the city. Surcease of Sorrow is of the city.

Spoiler: Attributes
    Show

strength 16
    dexterity 18
    constitution 17
    intelligence 18
    wisdom 16
    charisma 15
    +5 to charisma over time through levelling up.

Spoiler: Full Build
    Show

CR Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    7 8 HD Elemental +6 +6 +10 +4 Knowledge (religion) +2, Listen +10, Move Silently +12, Search +6, Spot +10. Speak Language (Common) Nonverbal Spell, Shadow Weave Magic, Spell Focus (Illusion) Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, natural invisibility, improved tracking
    8 Stalwart Sorcerer 1 +6 +6 +10 +6 Concentration +1, Diplomacy +2, Knowledge (Arcana) +1 Spell Thematics (ghostly faces), Bonus: Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike) See Bonus Feat, Familiar (Raven)
    9 Stalwart Sorcerer 2 +7 +6 +10 +7 Concentration +3, Diplomacy +4 - -
    10 Stalwart Sorcerer 3 +7 +7 +11 +7 Concentration +5, Diplomacy +6 - -
    11 Divine Crusader 1 +7 +9 +11 +9 Concentration +7, Diplomacy +8 Insidious Magic Dream Domain, Aura (Lawful, Evil)
    12 Divine Crusader 2 +8 +10 +11 +10 Concentration +9, Diplomacy +10 - -
    13 Divine Crusader 3 +9 +10 +12 +10 Concentration +11, Diplomacy +12 - Electricity Resistance 5
    14 Divine Crusader 4 +10 +11 +12 +11 Concentration +13, Diplomacy +14 Practiced Spellcaster -
    15 Divine Crusader 5 +10 +11 +12 +11 Knowledge (Religion) +3, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +15 Bonus (Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike)) See Bonus Feat
    16 Divine Crusader 6 +11 +12 +13 +12 Knowledge (Religion) +4, Concentration +16, Diplomacy +17 - Acid Resistance
    17 Divine Crusader 7 +12 +12 +13 +12 Knowledge (Religion) +5, Concentration +17, Diplomacy +19 Domain Focus (Dream) Darkvision 90 ft.
    18 Divine Crusader 8 +13 +13 +13 +13 Knowledge (Religion) +6, Concentration +18, Diplomacy +21 - -
    19 Divine Crusader 9 +13 +13 +14 +13 Knowledge (Religion) +7, Concentration +19, Diplomacy +23 - Acid/Electricity Resistance 10
    20 Divine Agent +13 +13 +14 +15 Concentration +24, Diplomacy +24 Greater Spell Focus (Illusion) Granted Domain (Mind)

Sorcerer spells known:
    0th- arcane mark, ghost sound, prestidigitation, mage hand, detect magic
    1st- silent image, erase
    Can cast six cantrips and five 1st-level spells.

Spoiler: Divine Crusader Spells Per Day
    Show

Divine Crusader Spells per Day
    Spells known are the dream domain. At 20th level, add the mind domain to spells known. Therefore, each spell level has only one spell known until Divine Agent, at which point it will have two spells known.
    Level 0lvl 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st - 2 - - - - - - - -
    2nd - 3 1 - - - - - - -
    3rd - 4 2 1 - - - - - -
    4th - 4 3 2 1 - - - - -
    5th - 5 3 3 2 1 - - - -
    6th - 5 4 3 3 2 0 - - -
    7th - 5 4 4 3 2 1 0 - -
    8th - 5 4 4 4 2 2 1 0 -
    9th - 5 4 4 4 3 2 2 1 0

Spell Thematics makes a certain spell of each spell level a thematic spell, increasing its caster level by one. In order, the spells chosen are ghost sound, silent image, augury, deep slumber, phantasmal killer, nightmare, dream sight, greater scrying, power word stun, and weird.

Spoiler: Level Write-Ups
    Show

CR 7
    At this point, Surcease of Sorrow already shows its connection to its dark patron. Its intuitive knowledge of religion and ability to speak common allows it to hunt carefully, but with its spells it is fighting at a disadvantage. If it encounters the PCs, it will select one to focus on and whisper to them every night, attempting to turn them against the party through mundane speech.

CR 10
    At this point, its victim catches frequent glimpses of a raven. Their nights are tortured by ghastly apparitions, and from the safety of a hiding place Surcease of Sorrow will attempt to get them to cast see invisibility or similar. At that point, they will see its arcane mark, a symbol of suicide. When they finally bring themselves to sleep, Surcease of Sorrow will smother them and slit their wrists. It will take their prized possessions and hide them at their friends’ homes before morning arrives.

CR 16: Sweet Spot
    Now Surcease of Sorrow has no need to kill with mundane methods. Its ability to cast Nightmare and Phantasmal Killer allows it to cause greater fear. At this point, Surcease of Sorrow focuses on spellcasters if it can, relying on the stereotype of the overworked, eccentric wizard to ensure that no one takes any warning signs seriously. Its nonverbal spells cover their verbal components, its spell thematics make them difficult to identify, and its insidious magic makes them difficult to detect.

CR 20
    The level in Divine Agent allows Surcease of Sorrow to cast from the mind domain, effectively doubling its spells known from Divine Crusader. This increases its utility in scrying and divination generally. The public fear it has cultivated may be such that if the PCs kill Surcease of Sorrow most will simply not believe it ever existed. Tragically still, it may claims some victims even in death.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show

Invisible Stalker- DMG
    Stalwart Sorcerer- CM
    Divine Crusader- CD
    Dream Domain- CD
    Mind Domain- CD
    Practiced Spellcaster- CD
    Shadow Weave Magic- PG
    Insidious Magic- PG
    Spell Thematics- PG
    Divine Agent- MotP
    Nonverbal Spell- PlH

Spoiler: Running Surcease of Sorrow
    Show

Firstly, the subject matter of this villain is such that a DM should make sure that all players know what kind of campaign is being run and what kinds of themes they would have fun investigating. Second, Surcease of Sorrow is a subtle killer. The players should not encounter it for most of their search, perhaps only seeing its raven familiar in the distance. The investigation naturally comes to an end when it selects a PC and attempts to break them, so that should be delayed until dramatically appropriate. Its use of save-or-die spells also means that players should have plenty of time to investigate and prepare before a direct confrontation.
    A lenient DM may rule that the deity weapon of Ilsensine could be (slam) for an invisible stalker, and change the feat selection accordingly. Such a DM may also want to increase Surcease of Sorrow’s charisma to allow it to cast more spells or give it another level in Divine Crusader, which would make it an Outsider.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-08-11 at 07:28 PM.

My Homebrew