New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PEACH]Fifth Edition Binder Class II (Still WIP)

Question: Should the new Paimon offer a second(not third) attack like the previous one did? Or is that too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Question: Should the new Paimon offer a second(not third) attack like the previous one did? Or is that too much?
    Given that you can bind Paimon as early as 3rd level, it's too early for Extra Attack. There's plenty of other options, though.

My 2 cents (just spit balling here) :

Dance of Death
    As a bonus action on your turn, you can dance furiously and chaotically, Until the beginning of your next turn, other creatures have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you.

Whirling Dervish
    When you take the Attack action with a slashing weapon on your turn, you can attack up to three creatures that are adjacent to you, making a separate attack roll for each target. After using this ability, you must compete a short or long rest before using it again.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Given that you can bind Paimon as early as 3rd level, it's too early for Extra Attack. There's plenty of other options, though.
    You get him 5th level, as he is a 3rd level vestige, equivalent in power to when other spellcasters get 3rd level spells.

I'll look into my options, but I'd like more input on the matter before I proceed.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know I'm breaking my own advice, but I felt like the opportunity for this Vestige was too obvious to let slide.

Spoiler: Don Thousand
    Show

DON THOUSAND
    Barian God
    Don Thousand was once a virtual god on his home planet. Eventually he traveled to the prime material and terrorized humans. There a group of humans, aided by a lone celestial, were able to defeat him. He simply smiled, transferred a great quantity of his powers to one of the humans, and faded out of existence.
    9th Level vestige
    DC: 25
    Sign: One of your eyes turns blue and the other turns red.
    Manifestation: Like this:
    Spoiler: Large Image
    Show

Granted Abilities:

PROFICIENCIES
    You gain no proficiencies from binding Don Thousand.

Numeron Network: You can speak telepathically with creatures within 30 feet of you. They will understand you as if you spoke their native languages, and their response will be automatically translated into common. You can suspend this an action and resume it as an action.

Numeron Calling: You can call forth the power of the mighty Numeron once per long rest. Doing so is an action that gives you and creatures within 30 feet of you advantage on all attacks. This effect lasts until the next time you roll initiative.

Chaos Gate: You can change the power of the mighty Numeron into a new, upgraded form. You can, as an action, while the effect of your Numeron Calling is active, suspend its effects until the end of your next turn. At that time, make a ranged spell attack against all creatures within 30 feet, dealing 6d6 psychic damage if you hit and half if you don't.

Chaos Ritual: When the effect of your Chaos Gate ability triggers, you may choose for the effect of Numeron Calling to be lost. If you do, in the same radius is a zone of antimagic. No spell can be cast within its radius.

Numerronius Numerronia: While your Chaos Ritual effect is active, you may choose to shut it down. If you do, you can, once per round, choose one attack that has been declared, and impose disadvantage on the attack roll or advantage on the saving throw. This effect lasts until the next time you roll initiative.

Last edited by The_Doctor; 2015-08-30 at 04:15 PM.
    Sometimes it's easy to forget this isn't for 3.5 anymore #Shocking revelation.
    Binders are fun!
    My 5e Vestiges: Amon, Dahlver-Nar, Focalor, Primus, Marchosias, Halphax, and some other non-canon ones.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's try this, this one really is a dance-powered fighting vestige.
    [PEACH.]
    Spoiler: Paimon_nomagic
    Show
    PAIMON
    The Dancer
    3rd Level vestige:
    DC: 13
    Sign: Your face naturally smiles wider on one side than the other.
    Manifestation:

PROFICIENCIES
    Weapons: Rapiers, Shortswords

GRACE
    While you are wielding a Finesse weapon, You may spring into a masterful dance in a moment's notice that makes you hard to strike. dancing this way requires a DC 15 Charisma (Performance) check as an bonus action, if you succeed, any attack rolls made against you have Disadvantage until the beginning of your next turn. You may roll an additional Charisma (Performance) check each round as a bonus action to sustain the effect. The DC of this Charisma (Performance) check increases by 1 for each time you succeed on it beyond the first. the DC to use Grace returns to normal once you complete a short or long rest.

PAIMON'S SWORDSMANSHIP
    Paimon understands the value of magic spells as an art not too distinct from swordplay. at any time when you make a successful Charisma (Performance) check to dance, you can use any finesse weapon you are proficient with in place of a spellcasting focus for any spell or cantrip you can cast for the duration of the dance.

COMBAT SUPERIORITY
    When bound to a pact with Paimon, you know maneuvers that are fueled by special dice called superiority Dice.
    Maneuvers: you learn the Sweeping Attack and Lunging Attack maneuvers.
    Superiority Dice. you gain 3 superiority dice, which are d6s. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice once you finish a short or long rest.
    You gain another superiority die at 13th level.
    In addition, if you gain the Combat superiority class feature by other means (such as by multiclassing or another vestige) you receive d8s instead (or d10s, if you have the improved combat superiority class feature)

UNEARTHLY BALANCE
    You can reroll any natural 1 you roll on a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check or Charisma (Performance) check you make to dance, tumble or whirl. you must use the new die roll result regardless of it's outcome (even if it is another 1).

DANCE OF DEATH
    Your prelude of graceful dancing turns to a climactic and brutal display. When you make a Charisma (Performance) check required to sustain your grace feature for an additional round, you may forgo the benefits of Grace for the round. on a success, you can instead reroll any 1s and 2s on your damage dice with finesse weapons until the beginning of your next turn. You must use the new results of the damage dice regardless of their outcome.
    you must declare that you use Dance of Death before you roll for your Grace Feature.

VARIANT FEATURE:
    WHIRLING DERVISH (Replaces Dance of Death)
    When you take the Attack action with a Finesse weapon on your turn, you can attack up to three creatures that are adjacent to you, making a separate attack roll for each target. After using this ability, you must compete a short or long rest before using it again.
    (courtesy of Scarce, might need some more thought to adapt it to this version. If this version is worth investing in, PM me and we'll work on it)
    PACT INFORMATION
    Spoiler: Legend
    Show
    Various legends speak of Paimon as a handsome rake who had affairs with every lady in the court, and defeating their suiters in swordplay. Sooner or later the gentlemen ganged-up on him and cut off his sword arm. Though beat-up and ridiculed he returned with a bejeweled solid gold arm in place of the old one and brought retribution upon them. Retribution, however, led to more vengeance, as the men gathered against him again, cutting off all his limbs and thrusting rapier blades in there place. They threatened him never to return again and left him to die.
    During the Queen's birthday ball that year, the gentlemen all gathered with their ladies, quite pleased with their secret act as others wondered if the charming Paimon's absence, when they noticed a fully black-garbed figure dancing among the crowd, and noticing cuts on the carpet where it did so. One of the men forcefully uncovered the man's mask to find a hideous, distorted face of the rotting Paimon, with blood-stained blades where his limbs should be. He spun around rapidly, there was a scream, and Paimon faded to black smoke. Convinced that they saw his spectre, the men followed the sunken board marks to where they left Paimon to give him a proper burial, but he was never found. As he was gone forever-- banished by the scream of a woman.

When Paimon Manifests, he often demonstrates himself as a romantic and a ladies' man despite his ungodly appearance, occasionally offering love advice to men, but tends to be a flatterer towards women. He likes it his binders to exude confidence, and sympathizes with those who's trust has been betrayed.
    Paimon might impose disadvantage on your check to bind him if you are hesitant when speaking to him, or if he suspects you would use his powers to harm a creature of the opposite sex, or assault a performer. That being said, Paimon might offer advantage on the check instead if he is convinced you will use his powers to take vengeance or reclaim a loved one. In addition, Paimon's manifestation will vanish instantly if a woman present screams in shock or fright, ending the pact making ritual.

If you make a poor pact with Paimon, he influences your personality in one of the following ways:
    Influence Description
    Personality Trait The first thing I do upon reaching a new place is court a handsome man/fair maiden, race rarely even matters to me.
    Flaw I can never resist the allure of music - song and dance are my life now.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-08-30 at 02:05 PM.

My Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can't see any problems with Paimon at first glance. Any comments on Don? (Also, you get a cookie if you get the reference without Googling.)
    Binders are fun!
    My 5e Vestiges: Amon, Dahlver-Nar, Focalor, Primus, Marchosias, Halphax, and some other non-canon ones.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Can't see any problems with Paimon at first glance. Any comments on Don? (Also, you get a cookie if you get the reference without Googling.)
    The art reminds a friend & me of Sailor Moon And/or Precure. not that I know/remember anything from either of them. We didn't use do an online search, though.

First off - from all of those physical signs, choose 1, please. The goal of a physical sign is to hint at the vestige's presence, not transform the binder entirely. Full-on transformation is what Lycanthropy, or the Warped Fate Binder subclass is for.

I'll get to the point: I think you did a very intelligent thing by modelling multiple abilities off of a single mechanic (I.e. while you have this active, you can this and that as well). That shows innovation and elegance by having abilities that interact with each other, I hope you perfect this vestige with that in mind. All in all, the vestige feels to me like It can be more powerful for it's awesomeness (As a rule of thumb, If the doctor brings a vestige to the table, you can expect it to be awesome whether you understand it or not). 8-9th level vestiges are hardest for me, although some might disagree, because for them to be attractive, they need to be at an exalted power level, on par with the strongest abilities available to player characters while not overshadowing what is canon. What I'm saying is: A vestige At that power level needs to be comparable with a 9th level spell. And I think that by basing multiple functions on a single ability/function/mechanic you may have stumbled upon a key ingredient to making vestiges of ultimate power. Build upon that - own it. but Don Thousand needs to be more powerful if you really want to place him realistically for a 18th+ level Binder.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-08-30 at 03:49 PM.

My Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why thank you! *blush* I only made two changes, but they're big.

#1: I reduced the signs down to one.
    #2: I added the monstrously powerful Numerronius Numerronia ability.

And finally, I admit it, Don Thousand is from the Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal anime. *dies of shame*

EDIT: This is just for fun.

Spoiler: The Doctor's Guide to Interlocking Vestiges
    Show

So you want to create a Vestige with synchronous mechanics, eh? What is it this time? Spells that chain off each other? A complex fighting style? Seems pretty overwhelming, doesn't it? Trust me. I'm the Doctor.

Step 1. Think of a theme for your vestige. I.E. why do these mechanics interlock with each other? Let's take an example, so far the only one: Don Thousand. He is based off of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards that all revolve around each other, with one pretty much being required to activate the next, and so forth. Let's get specific.
    Numeron Calling: This ability, in game, summons four Numerons that can make each other bigger.
    Chaos Gate: A monster in-game, that requires one of the four Numerons from earlier. It temporarily removes the field of monsters, then brings them back again in a titanic explosion.
    Chaos Ritual: When the above is destroyed, the fun begins. It summons a creature of colossal power that can shape the battlefield.
    Numerronius Numerronia: Finally, they destroy the above creature. Rejoice!... or not. Its destruction has brought forth a far more powerful creature, one that can negate attacks and potentially win you the game.

Step 2. Think of how to express your theme in mechanics and flavor.
    Numeron Calling: What better way to make things better attackers than giving advantage? For balance, however, it gives it to almost everyone.
    Chaos Gate: Suspending the above ability grants you the ability to deal mass damage.
    Chaos Ritual: Keeping it suspended creates a zone of powerful antimagic, a.k.a. controlling the battle.
    Numerronius Numerronia: And finally our most titanic ability. Was advantage on all attacks not good enough for you? Was dealing 6d6 damage not enough? Was RUINING THE LIVES OF SPELLCASTERS NOT ENOUGH?! THEN WE CAN RUIN THE LIVES OF EVERYONE BY MAKING ATTACKS NEAR MEANINGLESS!

Step 3. There should be 1 or 2 other abilities that don't relate to any of the above, so that once all of them are exhausted you have something to fall back on. Create those now.

Step 4. Create a thematic name an title.

Step 5. You can create the small bits now, such as Sign, Manifestation, Level, and Influence. You're done!
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 2015-08-30 at 08:24 PM.
    Binders are fun!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

@Paimon: I can't believe I thought that was a 2nd level vestige! Anyway, onto the features.

Grace: I don't love the idea of making a check every round to sustain this ability for a few reasons. Firstly, its bound to slow down gameplay. With a feature that has a changing DC each round, having to roll again each turn will just be a lot to keep up with. Secondly, a passive disadvantage is pretty powerful, since you can use this for two or three rounds in a row against all attacks before the save DCs start getting out of hand. I might change it to making a Performance check as a reaction when you're attacked, with a save DC equal to the attack roll, to halve damage on a success.

Paimon's Swordsmanship: Just make this effect constant. It's simpler and doesn't require a check.

Dance of Death: This feature is okay, but it doesn't do a great deal. Since it's really quite vestigial (pardon the pun) I might actually just cut this feature entirely.

Combat Superiority. Love it. It's simple and powerful. I'm thinking there should be a 5th level vestige and a 7th level vestige that has a Combat Superiority feature as well, so that if you pick all of them, you get a solid number of Superiority dice and maneuvers. This means we probably shouldn't give another die for free at 13th level.

Also consider granting proficiency in the rapier, shortsword, and scimitar.

That being said, I'll be changing up Andras to work with newer Paimon. It'll definitiely be a 5th level vestige when I'm done.

Spoiler: Andras
    Show
    Andras
    The Grey Knight
    4th Level Vestige
    Sign: You sprout two useless, gray-feathered wings from your back. The wings are small enough to be hidden beneath a shirt or cloak, but doing so makes you appear hunchbacked.

Bonus Proficiencies
    While you are bound to Andras, you are proficient with greatswords, lances, and longswords.

Phantom Steed
    You can cast the spell phantom steed at will.

Improved Critical
    Your melee weapon attacks with the greatsword, lance, and longsword score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Sow Discord
    Andras grants you the ability to sow discord among your enemies. As a bonus action when a creature you can see within 30 feet makes an attack, you can force that creature to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature instead attacks a creature you choose within its attack range. After using this ability, you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

Combat Superiority
    When bound to a pact with Andras, you know maneuvers that are fueled by special dice called Superiority Dice.
    Superiority Dice. You gain 3 superiority dice, which are d6s. Your superiority dice are d8s if you already possess the Combat Superiority feature, or d10s if you have the Improved Combat Superiority feature. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain all of your expended superiority dice once you finish a short or long rest.
    Maneuvers: You gain the following maneuvers:
    • Feinting Attack. You can expend one superiority die and use a bonus action on your turn to feint, choosing one creature within 5 feet of you as your target. You have advantage on your next attack roll against that creature. If that attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.
    • Menacing Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to frighten the target. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Spoiler: Legend:
    Show

Andras was once an elf paladin famed for his prowess in battle and his implacable dedication to doing what was right and good for all. A series of misjudgments and misfortunes broke Andras’s faith in both himself and his deity, however, and he became a blackguard.
    During his subsequent service to the dark gods, his infamy rapidly outgrew his fame, and his name was whispered in fear. After nearly three hundred years of almost constant battle on behalf of both good and evil, Andras grew tired of both causes. In the midst of a duel in the key battle of a great war, he simply dropped his weapon and left, never to be seen alive again. Sages speculate that after his betrayal of both causes, he was no longer welcome in any god’s realm, and thus his soul was condemned to become a vestige.

If you make a poor pact with Andras, he influences your personality in one of the following ways:
    Personality Trait: I am listless and emotionally remote.
    Flaw:I tire of combat quickly. Without warning, I may simply drop my weapon and retire from battle.
    Last edited by Scarce; 2015-11-19 at 12:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Andras looks good. Suppose we made a level 9 combat superiority vestige as well?

Also, Scarce, any comments on Don Thousand?

EDIT: Zahn? Anyone? You home? HOW DARE YOU NOT HAVE TIME FOR CREATING THE BINDER--er, I mean, it's too bad I seem to be the only one checking this every day.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 2015-09-01 at 12:25 PM.
    Binders are fun!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Also, Scarce, any comments on Don Thousand?
    Honestly, it's a little confusing. Now, it's entirely possible that I'm a little dense, but the amount of interlocking going on is a lot to process at any point of time. Some of the stuff that makes this difficult is the fact that some of the abilities like Chaos Gate lasts for a single action, then transitions to a new event immediately (a fact that you need to read the next feature to know), where Chaos Ritual lasts for a duration and transitions to the next ability without any action (which, again, you'll have to read the next feature to know.) This stuff changes often enough, and the transitions change often enough, that it takes a few reads to understand fully (and even then, I'll be rereading it mid-game to make sure I haven't messed it up.)

To be perfectly clear: I like the round-robin ability vestige design, but a few pieces of the implementation need to be polished. Lasting until you roll initiative is a little confusing. Does that mean you can use these abilities at will when you're not in combat?

Anyway, I would be trying to simplify these abilities to static abilities, rather than attacks which end if you don't transition, for simplicity's sake. This way, you can use the same template for transitions and duration to simplify things.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

I've got Savnok as a Defense Vestige. Not sure which level to put it at at the moment, but I'm thinking 3rd or higher, since armor proficiency is worth a lot. For now, let's call it 6th, for no reason other than the fact that there's nothing else at this level.

Savnok
    The Instigator
    4th Level Vestige

Armor Proficiency
    While bound to Savnok, you have proficiency in medium armor. If you already have medium armor proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in heavy armor.

Call Armor
    As an action, you can summon any armor you are proficient in wearing, which appears about your body. You can dismiss this armor as a bonus action.

Move Ally
    You can use your action to teleport up to 30 feet to a space occupied by a willing Small or Medium creature, swapping places with it.

Death Ward
    When you bind Savnok, you become under the effect of the spell death ward, with a duration of 24 hours. If this spell ends for any reason, it remains ended until you rebind Savnok following a long rest.

Savnok’s Armor
    As a bonus action, you can cause your armor to fortify, fusing its joints and increasing its thickness. Until the end of your next turn, you can reduce all damage taken from attacks by 3, but your movement speed is reduced to 10 feet. If you are wearing heavy armor, you can reduce damage by 5. This reduction does not stack with any other form of reduction, including resistance.

PACT INFORMATION:
    Show
    Savnok lived before recorded history, and his story likely contains as much myth as it does fact. According to legend, Savnok served Hextor and Heironeous before the two half-brothers came to blows. The gods were charged with guarding their mother’s diefic armory while she met with her lovers. Both Hextor and Heironeous were awed and tempted to don their mother’s implements of war, but neither son dared disobey his mother.

Out of devotion for his masters, Savnok plotted to steal the godly weapons and armor for them. However, once his gaze fell on the goddess’s armor, Savnok could not resist donning it. Just touching the metal made him drunk with power. After putting it on, he knew he could never take it off, so he fled the godly realms with the divine armor.

Hextor and Heironeous soon noticed that their servant and the armor were missing. When they looked for Savnok, they found him at war on the Material Plane. Shocked at his betrayal, Hextor and Heironeous appeared before Savnok and ordered him to relinquish their mother’s armor. Their former servant responded by attacking, and although he could not harm them, neither could they harm him. Heironeous flew into the sky and tore thunderbolts from the clouds to hurl at Savnok, to little effect. But Hextor, realizing that they needed diefic weapons to defeat the armor, fled back to his mother’s armory and found a great bow. Hextor barely had the strength to draw his mother’s bow, but with each arrow he fired, a dozen missiles streaked down to strike Savnok. Though the arrows had little power behind them, they pierced the armor, and as Savnok raged at the injustice the two gods had done him, he slowly bled to death from hundreds of shallow wounds.

When at last Savnok lay dead, Hextor and Heironeous removed the armor and debated what to do next. Not only had they failed to guard their mother’s armory, but Hextor had also stolen her bow and arrows, making him yet another guilty party. Hextor suggested that they hide Savnok and replace the items, leaving their mother none the wiser. Heironeous didn’t like the plan, but he wanted to protect his half-brother. Together, the two gods hid Savnok’s essence in a place even they could not reach. Heironeous has regretted this decision ever since.

If you make a poor pact with Savnok:

Personality Trait: I am headstrong and defiant of authority.

Flaw: Once I make up my mind on a matter, nothing can change it.

Physical Sign: Blood oozes from your armor.
    Last edited by Scarce; 2015-11-05 at 12:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure how I could do it without failing at getting all the flavor, but I'll think of something.
    Binders are fun!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

On Savnok: I think it looks great, just one tiny suggestion (which is just my $0.02 and you don't have to take) is for the Heavy Armor damage reduction to stay at 2, but have an additional one for magical weapons.
    Binders are fun!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys sorry for disappearing on you guys this week! I just got back to work for another year (we closed for the a couple of weeks before september so I had a fair bit of free time) and I also signed up for some tests I need to study for. They'll hopefully improve my odds of getting into a good university down the line.
    I shouldn't bore you with all the details, should I? - this is a binder thread, not a "my life" thread

I usually like to return from absence with some progress made, but time is of the essence today. Instead I'll review breiefly some stuff:

On Combat Superiority. it is, undeniably, a fighter deal, which is not an issue to replicate as long as the Binder remains inferior to the equivalent level Battlemaster fighter in terms of using CS. With Paimon's case, it comes in the form of preset maneuvers, smaller dice pools and lower dice rolled. But the only thing I insist on is that this remains true throughout all levels. Especially when we total up all the vestiges that offer CS at once. Any suggestions on how we could do that?

Paimon. Thank you both for your feedback. I will be sure to implement it and see if I can do something more elegant at the table for my next iteration. Any further commentary that you feel should he mentioned?

Don. I think it'll help you a bit not to look at it exclusively as a Yu-Gi-Oh! Card. Try to stay true to the feel with a smoother, mechanic. Also, if it helps, I'd also like to point you to Tenebrous's deeper darkness for inspiration. It's not entirely the same direction but it might give you an idea. You can find him in the Vestige Codex in ny sig. [/constantreference]

Savnok.If you want to tailor Savnok to a 12th Binder, I think Move Ally could be more powerful for a vestige of his level. I'd think making it rest powered doesn't cut it. Perhaps something like "You can use this feature again after the next time you roll initative". Either that, or get rid of conditions - don't ask for willing, and don't ask for size.

Also, How does Savnok's Armor interact with the Heavy Armor Master feat? I'd suggest approaching this ability from a different direction.

I just ran out of time so I'll see you guys later! Have a nice weekend!

My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have two announcements to make:

1. My playtest is today!

2. The link to the Vestige Codex leads right back to this thread.
    Binders are fun!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay!

The link is fixed, thanks for noticing! There was also a proper link to the Vestige Codex in my sig if you're ever in a jam.

My Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

The link was actually broken for a while, but I didn't think to say anything.

But also, hooray for playtesting! I think I'll test out Amon first. Or maybe Dahlver-Nar.
    Binders are fun!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

So....How was your first playtest session, Doctor?

Anyway, I need your help on something guys since I'm not sure where to proceed with this:
    The 13th level (or the 17th level) feature for the Warped Fate Binder. I was thinking that whatever I do for the last WFB ability will include changing your type to either Monstrosity or Aberration (don't know if that should be temporary or permanent). I want to have an ability that changes the Binder's anatomy, which means a choice of 2 or 3 features that allow him to turn into something that is undeniably no longer human. Though this effect should be temporary. Any suggestions?

My Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually don't know about the Warped Fate ability.

Playtest: Amon got playtesting done, slightly. He only got to do one thing, though: his fire breath. Both targets saved, so he dealt a measly 1 damage to both. Though they did catch fire, which was cool.
    Binders are fun!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually don't know about the Warped Fate ability.
    Okay, if you meant you don't have any ideas, just let me know if something comes up. If you meant you didn't read it I highly suggest you do, as it is a priority for me to get the subclasses done and polished up have them all feel like tempting option. Anaximander's idea, as I understood it, was to give the binder more physical signs he could weaponize. My interpretation is that there is a monster that grows inside of your soul that you learn to let out - good for players who want their character to become a "monster".The idea is kinda inspired by Pathfinder's summoner and his Eidolon.

Playtest: Amon got playtesting done, slightly. He only got to do one thing, though: his fire breath. Both targets saved, so he dealt a measly 1 damage to both. Though they did catch fire, which was cool.
    that's alright, bad rolls happen, enemies succeed saves sometimes. Thankfully it's an at-will ability, so if you want to focus on testing the fire breath first, I suggest you use it generously and experiment the varying length of breath-holding. If, say, you see it right that the math is problematic, or if you see a pattern where the combat ends before you could use the strongest breath, or some other complication, keep me informed. Ideally, the breath holding should have a slightly better payoff than using cantrips each round you wait.

Rome wasn't built in a day, I can wait for further test notes.

Questions for Doctor and Spiriah: did you succeed on the pact or fail? (and if you failed, how was having the influence?) What do you think of the streamlined DCs?
    Did any problems arise with it or things that could be improved upon it?

My Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Haven't posted in a while, but I knew of this homebrew since the first thread about it was made. Sadly I don't have any playtest results yet(Personal issues), but I do want to say I really like how this class is advancing. Everything looks balanced, fun to play and most importantly it fits the 5th edition design. Keep up the work Prince Zahn, The_Doctor and Scarce! I am sorry I don't have the time for detailed feedback, but I look at this thread each day to see how it is advancing because this is the best homebrew class for 5th edition if you ask me. Just wanted to share that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigoAlves
    Once a player almost fell into a trap full of spikes. He asked me "how much damage would a spike do?"
    I said "Instant death"
    Then, he grabbed a spike and used it as a weapon for the rest of the adventure.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImSAMazing View Post
    Haven't posted in a while, but I knew of this homebrew since the first thread about it was made. Sadly I don't have any playtest results yet(Personal issues), but I do want to say I really like how this class is advancing. Everything looks balanced, fun to play and most importantly it fits the 5th edition design. Keep up the work Prince Zahn, The_Doctor and Scarce! I am sorry I don't have the time for detailed feedback, but I look at this thread each day to see how it is advancing because this is the best homebrew class for 5th edition if you ask me. Just wanted to share that.
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I couldn't ask for more than people living and loving the class. You're always welcome to share any ideas and experiences you might gain, and make stuff with us!

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

The 13th level (or the 17th level) feature for the Warped Fate Binder. I was thinking that whatever I do for the last WFB ability will include changing your type to either Monstrosity or Aberration (don't know if that should be temporary or permanent). I want to have an ability that changes the Binder's anatomy, which means a choice of 2 or 3 features that allow him to turn into something that is undeniably no longer human. Though this effect should be temporary. Any suggestions?
    I like the idea of making the warped fate change the binder's type to Abberation. Here's an additional idea:

Indiscernible Anatomy
    At ___ level, the placement and composition of your internal organs is bizarre. You take no additional damage from critical hits.

While on my blog, I try to reuse mechanics which are broad enough to apply to multiple character archetypes. This is one of those mechanics.

EDIT: Also, I've been playing with Savnok, and I'm starting to wonder if a better mechanical fix would be to move it to 4th or 5th level. I think it's important to value medium or heavy armor proficiency as something very powerful, akin to Extra Attack, which is why I placed it so high in the first place. Any ideas as to what level it should go to?
    Last edited by Scarce; 2015-09-06 at 10:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

So I've been implicitly thinking about the levels of the attack and defense vestiges to have one of each at level 1 (and maybe also at level 2) then primary attack vestiges being at odd levels (Paimon at 3rd, Andras at 5th, and Eligor at 7th) and primary defense vestiges at even levels. With that being said, I think Haagenti will be best at level 2 and Savnok at level 4.

Spoiler: Haagenti
    Show

Haagenti
    Mother of Minotaurs
    2nd Level Vestige

Bonus Proficiencies
    While bound to Haagenti, you have proficiency with shields, battleaxes, and greataxes.

Fighting Style
    You adopt the following style of fighting as your specialty. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Great Weapon Fighting. When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Ruse of Giants
    You can speak, read, and write the language Giant. Additionally, you have advantage on Deception checks against creatures of the Giant type.

Immunity to Transformation
    As a bonus action, you can end the effects of any transmutation spell affecting you that you choose. You are also immune to being petrified.

Ire of Frost
    As an action, you can radiate a hateful blue frost to those around you. Each creature you choose within 5 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature's base movement speed is reduced by 5 feet for 1 minute and takes 3d8 cold damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage. Beginning at 9th level, the range of this ability increases to 10 feet. After using this ability, you must complete a long rest before using it again.

Touch of Confusion
    As a bonus action, select 1 creature you can touch to make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must roll a d20 each time it attacks until the end of its turn. On a 10 or lower, it's attack misses. After using this ability, you must complete a long rest before using it again.

Show

The tale of how minotaurs originated changes according to the culture and race of the teller, but binder lore blames Haagenti. Thrym, the primary deity of frost giants, sought consorts among his mortal worshippers, among whom was Haagenti, a hill giant sorceress who used a spell to transform herself into a beautiful frost giant. When the children born of his dalliances had grown old enough, Thrym set out to visit and test them all. He fought each child to see who was the strongest and bravest, intending to invite the most fit to join him in Jotunheim. When he sought out Haagenti, he found her herding cattle in the warm lowlands and became enraged when he saw her true form, that of a hill giant.

In a rage, Thrym cursed Haagneti and her children to resemble the cattle with which they wallowed, turning them into minotaurs. Then he left, vowing to teach his frost giant worshipers to distrust all beauty.

How Haagenti became a vestige is unclear, but binder lore holds that her ugliness was so complete she could find no eternal home anywhere, for the sight of her spirit disturbed the gods. Haagenti refuses to speak on the subject and becomes angry when questioned about her past.

When you make a poor pact with Haagenti, she influences your personality in the following ways:

Personality Trait: You feel ashamed of my appearance while around beautiful creatures.

Bond: Your alliances belong to the most attractive and charismatic creature that you can see.
    Last edited by Scarce; 2015-10-04 at 12:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea of making the warped fate change the binder's type to Abberation. Here's an additional idea:

Indiscernible Anatomy
    At ___ level, the placement and composition of your internal organs is bizarre. You take no additional damage from critical hits.

While on my blog, I try to reuse mechanics which are broad enough to apply to multiple character archetypes. This is one of those mechanics.
    I updated the Warped Fate Binder - now the link in the Table of Contents (or 2nd post) accurately links to to it.

Sure, let's try that. it might be useful if it's not exclusive to a particular class or race. but I don't want copypasting mechanics to become a regular thing, lest we have the kind of binder who gets the best stuff out of every class and would be an excuse for players who want to be anything and everything(#YeahLet'sTryToAvoidThat) if we have to use a lot of stuff, they are to be adjusted. this is because I'm trying to keep things unique and attractive.

So I've been implicitly thinking about the levels of the attack and defense vestiges to have one of each at level 1 (and maybe also at level 2) then primary attack vestiges being at odd levels (Paimon at 3rd, Andras at 5th, and Eligor at 7th) and primary defense vestiges at even levels. With that being said, I think Haagenti will be best at level 2 and Savnok at level 4.
    Given the current arrangement of CS, I would appreciate if we could agree that no more vestiges beyond Paimon and Andras to have Combat Superiority, unless someone has an idea how we could get past the superiority dice inflation. this means Eligor and any other combat vestiges(both offensive and defensive) might require a different solution to their ability set. I hope you will agree it is very sensible that the Binder should not be a better Battle Master than the Fighter who chose that archetype.

Spoiler: Haagenti
    Show

Haagenti
    Mother of Minotaurs
    2nd Level Vestige

Bonus Proficiencies
    While bound to Haagenti, you have proficiency with shields, battleaxes, and greataxes.

Immunity to Transformation
    As a bonus action, you can end the effects of any transmutation spell affecting you that you choose. You are also immune to being petrified.

Touch of Confusion
    Select 1 creature you can touch to make a Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must roll a d20 each time it attacks until the end of its turn. On a 10 or lower, it's attack misses. After using this ability, you must complete a long rest before using it again.

When you make a poor pact with Haagenti, she influences your personality in the following ways:

Personality Trait: You feel ashamed and bashful around beautiful creatures.

Bond: Your alliances belong to the most attractive and charismatic creature that you can see.
    Immunity to transformation is seems very powerful and out of place for it's level, but at the same time it's situational. All in all, I'm not sure what to think of it. at the same time, I think Haagenti might need another defense ability under her belt, maybe if you could come up with a ribbon for her it would be nice too, but I'm not going to push you into adding too much.
    Here's another thought, if you feel you're up to it - see if you could make her legend a little briefer. When I write up a vestige, I'm trying to avoid making it as long as the original to ease on new readers. also - by changing the length and perhaps content of the original tale into something that fits the new edition more snuggly, more people are likely to read it, because it won't be exactly same as the one in the Tome of Magic.

I'm not going to point a gun to anybody's head to write the whole stories from scratch, but I'd like you guys to consider how we could make the experience new for anyone like us who is well-versed in Pact Magic to rediscover some new details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As mentioned above, I updated the Warped Binder post, you can find it on page 1.(Post #2)
    I'm still missing one more feature option at 17th level, and would like some friends to PEACH the existing (and new!) ones. once the Warped Binder is ready we can move on to the other subclasses and other parts of the Binder set that needs tweaking!

That's all for tonight. peace out!
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2015-09-09 at 01:54 PM.

My Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Given the current arrangement of CS, I would appreciate if we could agree that no more vestiges beyond Paimon and Andras to have Combat Superiority, unless someone has an idea how we could get past the superiority dice inflation. this means Eligor and any other combat vestiges(both offensive and defensive) might require a different solution to their ability set. I hope you will agree it is very sensible that the Binder should not be a better Battle Master than the Fighter who chose that archetype.
    Agreed. I have some other ideas for the other Eligor, and maybe some other combat vestiges. I'm also thinking that no vestige should offer a second Extra Attack. Eligor will probably get Extra Attack, but nothing should offer two extra attacks.

Here's another thought, if you feel you're up to it - see if you could make her legend a little briefer. When I write up a vestige, I'm trying to avoid making it as long as the original to ease on new readers. also - by changing the length and perhaps content of the original tale into something that fits the new edition more snuggly, more people are likely to read it, because it won't be exactly same as the one in the Tome of Magic.
    Totally. I'll work on it.

Also, I've got a 50% Eligor and a 75% Malphas done.
    Last edited by Scarce; 2015-09-09 at 10:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've stayed out of this Binder communal homebrew so far, but I think it's about time I threw my hat in the ring. Binder was my hands down favorite class in all of 3.5, and I really like the way this is shaping up. I'll happily take on a few 8th level vestiges (since we seem to be missing those), as well as anything else you guys think is needed.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Submortimer View Post
    I've stayed out of this Binder communal homebrew so far, but I think it's about time I threw my hat in the ring. Binder was my hands down favorite class in all of 3.5, and I really like the way this is shaping up. I'll happily take on a few 8th level vestiges (since we seem to be missing those), as well as anything else you guys think is needed.
    Yay! A new customer! Welcome!

You are by all means welcome to pick up the proverbial pen and draft up some things. I hope you were keeping track of our discussion, since we're always talking about how we can improve our vestiges and avoid inflation.
    Any particular vestiges you had in mind to make?

My Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Submortimer View Post
    That's the most exciting news I've heard all week! You've put out some of my favorite content on this entire site (not even exaggerating.) I so look forward to working with you.

@Savnok: Edited for Zahn's and The Doctor's comments, and legend reduced slightly. Changes spoilered.
    Spoiler: Savnok Changes:
    Show

Summoned Armor can be dismissed as a bonus action.
    Move Ally is now no longer rest limited.
    Savnok's Armor rewritten as a once per short or long defensive ability, which applies to all damage, and scales if you are wearing heavy armor.

General Binder thought: I actually wonder if we'll be able to have enough vestiges from 3.5 to complete all 9 levels (with some degree of choice at each level) without adding some of the non-canon vestiges. What's your take?