Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "Durkula"... I don't like it

Durkula. It sounds like a belch and a derp combined into a single utterance of complete non-impressiveness.
    Dracula sounds awe-inspiring. Durkon sounds lawful. Combined, they thus sound awful (Q.E.D. ).

I propose we rename the being that is now using Durkon's body to "Helpriest", combining High Priest and Hel into one word. All opposed?
    Last edited by Ceaon; 2015-07-29 at 03:29 AM.
    Stefan avatar by Ceika.

“...” – Crono (Chrono Trigger), Ryu (Breath of Fire), Link (The Legend of Zelda), Red (Pokémon), Mario (Super Mario RPG), Gordon Freeman (Half-Life), Randi (Secret of Mana) and The Avatar (Ultima)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: "Durkula"... I don't like it

I don't have a problem with "Durkula"--as portmanteau names go, it's not terrible. "Helpriest" just sounds silly, IMHO.

If you object to Durkula why don't you just use the acronym HPOH (High Priest of Hel) like many already do?

3. - Top - End - #3

sigh Re: "Durkula"... I don't like it

Not opposing. Many others won't argue with you either. Others who were not comfortable with Durkula reported that it sounds like a comic character called Duckula, which I don't know myself but agree it sounds (even more) ridicolous. In case you know the advertisement for the swiss sweets brand "RICOLA" - just imagine someone with a cheery voice yodel-shouting "Durkula!!!" and you'll dislike that nickname even more.
    In short, Durkula doesn't fit this ultimately evil abomination at all. The name stuck, though, maybe even BECAUSE it is a complete mockery.

We'll have to live with it until Hpoh reveals his true vampire name. I'm sure Rich has one prepared, probably for Hpohs nameplate at the moot.

I also don't like it and obviously I'm going with the abbreviation of HPoH. Or, for short, Hpoh which sounds in my mind like the soothing sound Hpoh makes when he breaths.
    Apprentice Teleporker of the MitD fan club

participate in fan translations of OotS to your native language:
    English transcript, Deutsche Übersetzung, Traduzione italiano
    (dormant projects:
    Traducción español
    , Tradução em português, Traductions françaises [- trois fois!], מסדר המקלתרגום עברית )

4. - Top - End - #4

HPOH is not really a name for me, in the sense that I can't pronounce it properly. Although it is favored above Durkula.
    Stefan avatar by Ceika.

“...” – Crono (Chrono Trigger), Ryu (Breath of Fire), Link (The Legend of Zelda), Red (Pokémon), Mario (Super Mario RPG), Gordon Freeman (Half-Life), Randi (Secret of Mana) and The Avatar (Ultima)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the name Durkula because it is funny and memorable. The rando hijacking Durkon's body may as well have a silly nickname.

Durkula. Durkula. Durkula. Three cheers to whomever coined it.

Edit: If my forum search is accurate, it was hamishspence.
    Last edited by Bird; 2015-07-29 at 04:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can call him Derpula for all I care, as long as I understand who you're talking about. Just call him anything you like, if others pick it up, congratulations, Durkon's vampire version now has another name. That's how nicknames work, it's a group process...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like Durkula. It's fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Others who were not comfortable with Durkula reported that it sounds like a comic character called Duckula, which I don't know myself but agree it sounds (even more) ridicolous.
    Count Duckula was a great comic cartoon for children, about a vegetarian vampire, due to a mistake during the ritual of reincarnation.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

"Durkula" sounds like a moniker crafted specifically to bring grief to all those who cared about Durkon in life, and to mock the long and hallowed tradition of the English language consisting of generally tolerable words. It is an embarrassment to Creation. It sounds like a bad joke that was tossed into a bonfire full of dying puppies, survived, and swore vengeance against all living things for allowing such an event to transpire.

Maybe that's a little hyperbolic. But I really don't like it and I earnestly wish it would go away. It sounds ridiculous. Just call the High Priest of Hel by his title, or go with HPoH for short.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-07-29 at 07:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    When Durkon gets hungry, he'll come through the OotS-verse's notoriously fragile fourth wall and dine on the people who have called him something goofy.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Just call him anything you like, if others pick it up, congratulations, Durkon's vampire version now has another name. That's how nicknames work, it's a group process...
    Well of course, I am not forbidding anyone from calling him anything. I can't. I am, however, trying to speed up the very group process you are referring to by calling attention to my intention...
    I am trying to be a motivator - for a change of nomenclature!

(And yes, I am hoping my rhymes will help people associate Helpriest with something easy to remember.)
    Stefan avatar by Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaon View Post
    Durkula. It sounds like a belch and a derp combined into a single utterance of complete non-impressiveness.
    Dracula sounds awe-inspiring. Durkon sounds lawful. Combined, they thus sound awful (Q.E.D. ).

I propose we rename the being that is now using Durkon's body to "Helpriest", combining High Priest and Hel into one word. All opposed?
    No, because "Durkula" refers to the vampire looking dwarf we see running around, and "High Priest of Hel" refers to the little man living in his head. If you called Durkula "Helpriest" then it would be too easy to confuse him with the High Priest of Hel.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Well of course, I am not forbidding anyone from calling him anything. I can't. I am, however, trying to speed up the very group process you are referring to by calling attention to my intention...
    I am trying to be a motivator - for a change of nomenclature!
    This never works, though. If you campaign for a nickname, it feels forced. They need to pop up organically and in context.
    Last edited by hroþila; 2015-07-29 at 07:51 AM.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    No, because "Durkula" refers to the vampire looking dwarf we see running around, and "High Priest of Hel" refers to the little man living in his head. If you called Durkula "Helpriest" then it would be too easy to confuse him with the High Priest of Hel.
    ... What? We have two different names for them? Did I miss a meeting or something?

It would almost work, but then why do we see the dwarf vampire body being called the High Priest of Hel, by Hel herself even, here?

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    This never works, though. If you campaign for a nickname, it feels forced. They need to pop up organically and in context.
    Well, I guess, but at this point I would be happy with anything that is not Durkula. So even if Helpriest doesn't catch on, I am just hoping some other name will come up organically by discussing it.
    Last edited by Ceaon; 2015-07-29 at 08:07 AM.
    Stefan avatar by Ceika.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Some people call him Darkon. I prefer HPoH, myself.
    Now, Back to Lurking!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always preferred my coinage of Durk Malackssen, myself. But then, I have a weird sense of humor, and don't really care if anyone else adopts my nickname for him or not.

I think most people know who I'm talking about when I use it, so...
    Spoiler: My current mood
    Show

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth

[...]
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you like mythological references, you could call him Garmr, which is "the blood-stained watchdog that guards Hel's gate".
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit the headlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we are many
    So, when the world, the universe needs saving, they appear
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones who will come
    We are underdogs, I know, but we rise up to the challenge of being heroes.

(by Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I never liked the way Durkula rolls off the tongue. I prefer Dwarfula.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    If you like mythological references, you could call him Garmr, which is "the blood-stained watchdog that guards Hel's gate".
    Garmr already appeared in #946.
    Spoiler: NSFW
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)
    =

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, because "Durkula" refers to the vampire looking dwarf we see running around, and "High Priest of Hel" refers to the little man living in his head.
    Until and unless the vampire dwarf body running around is *not* controlled by the spirit you're talking about, what's the point of having separate names for them? Furthermore, if Durkon regains control but is still a vampire, I have no problem with calling him "Durkon" from that point onward, because that's who he is regardless of what form his body takes.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

... What? We have two different names for them? Did I miss a meeting or something?

It would almost work, but then why do we see the dwarf vampire body being called the High Priest of Hel, by Hel herself even, here?
    Hel isn't talking to the animated body though, but to the soul running the "robot" (Durkon's body), ie the HPoH. What we the audience see however, could be contrued as Durkula. Basically at this point Durkula is the fake-personality we see presented to the outside world, the I-am-totally-Durkon-just-with-small-letter-evil-on-my-character-sheet. HPOH is the actual separate soul piloting the robot called Durkula around with a imprisoned Durkon trapped in what used to be his body.

So we have 3 "characters". HPOH, the vampire soul/entity in control. Durkula, the fake character the HPOH presents to the outside world, and Durkon, the Dwarf cleric we all(?) miss. Whether it's strictly necessary to separate them I guess is a personal choice. But that's how I tend to view it.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2015-07-29 at 11:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    [...] Durkula is the fake-personality we see presented to the outside world, the I-am-totally-Durkon-just-with-small-letter-evil-on-my-character-sheet. [...]

So we have 3 "characters". HPOH, [...] Durkula, the fake character the HPOH presents to the outside world, and Durkon[...]. Whether it's strictly necessary to separate them I guess is a personal choice. But that's how I tend to view it.
    That actually makes some sense. And also, HOORAY! Durkulas days are counted and over. Hpoh is just in the last comic starting to drop his disguise. I bet in the next few comics, he won't bother to maintain the illusion of being Durkon, since it wouldn't work with Roy in the observer's gallery.
    Apprentice Teleporker of the MitD fan club

participate in fan translations of OotS to your native language:
    English transcript, Deutsche Übersetzung, Traduzione italiano
    (dormant projects:
    Traducción español
    , Tradução em português, Traductions françaises [- trois fois!], מסדר המקלתרגום עברית )

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I guess, but at this point I would be happy with anything that is not Durkula. So even if Helpriest doesn't catch on, I am just hoping some other name will come up organically by discussing it.
    Actually, it was Durkula that came up "organically", in one of the first reactions to the strip #878, and it remained since. You don't like it, that's fine. You are not alone; not even the first one to urge to abandon such ''goofy'' nickname. But please have in mind that others just like it. It's both the most straightfoward way to describe the original bearer of the body and a shout-out to the very first named idea behind it at the same time. Sounds ridiculous? Don't pronounce it aloud
    All thanks to half-halfling for the avatar.

There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

You could always take the Peelee route and simply call him, "the vampire" until officially named.

Was gonna say, "ride the P-Train," but others have reacted poorly to that in the past.
    DZ-4049 in the 501st Legion! Silver Dragon avatar by the awesome Cuthalion!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I knew about it to some extent already, but I'm a bit surprised at the antipathy for "Durkula" here. I've personally called him the High Priest of Hel or HPoH for short ever since 946, but that's because that's the closest thing we have to an in-comic term for him. It doesn't represent any particular hostility towards "Durkula".
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Hel isn't talking to the animated body though, but to the soul running the "robot" (Durkon's body), ie the HPoH. What we the audience see however, could be contrued as Durkula. Basically at this point Durkula is the fake-personality we see presented to the outside world, the I-am-totally-Durkon-just-with-small-letter-evil-on-my-character-sheet. HPOH is the actual separate soul piloting the robot called Durkula around with a imprisoned Durkon trapped in what used to be his body.

So we have 3 "characters". HPOH, the vampire soul/entity in control. Durkula, the fake character the HPOH presents to the outside world, and Durkon, the Dwarf cleric we all(?) miss. Whether it's strictly necessary to separate them I guess is a personal choice. But that's how I tend to view it.
    This is exactly what I meant, said better than I ever could, and how I see it usually represented on the forums.

Also, as previously mentioned, it's entirely possible that "durkula" will have no need for existence any more and we can just go with "durkon" and "HPoH"
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-07-29 at 08:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Savannah; Yesterday at 08:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

HPOH is not really a name for me, in the sense that I can't pronounce it properly.
    Also, it's jargon - its meaning isn't self-evident and thus it's divisive. "Helpriest" is much better - even if "Hel" isn't self-evident to all, "priest" is (unlike "HP").

So yeah, I like it.

No, because "Durkula" refers to the vampire looking dwarf we see running around, and "High Priest of Hel" refers to the little man living in his head.
    What's an example of where this distinction needs to be made? I could ask you every time you say "Roy" if you're referring to the fighter you see running around, or the little "Roy" living in his head, but it never seems to make a difference.

The only thing I can see different about the High Priest (as opposed to Roy) is that he has an additional stowaway inside his head, but we already have a name for him: "Durkon".

Also, regarding the "fake persona" thing: I'm a somewhat different person to my boss, my girlfriend, my parents, my God, and so forth - just as the High Priest is. I've never felt the need to give these people different names; I just note, when it's relevant, that I'm a somewhat different person to different people, and it works just fine.
    Last edited by blunk; Yesterday at 03:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Also, it's jargon - its meaning isn't self-evident and thus it's divisive. "Helpriest" is much better - even if "Hel" isn't self-evident to all, "priest" is (unlike "HP").

So yeah, I like it.

What's an example of where this distinction needs to be made? I could ask you every time you say "Roy" if you're referring to the fighter you see running around, or the little "Roy" living in his head, but it never seems to make a difference.

The only thing I can see different about the High Priest (as opposed to Roy) is that he has an additional stowaway inside his head, but we already have a name for him: "Durkon".

Also, regarding the "fake persona" thing: I'm a somewhat different person to my boss, my girlfriend, my parents, my God, and so forth - just as the High Priest is. I've never felt the need to give these people different names; I just note, when it's relevant, that I'm a somewhat different person to different people, and it works just fine.
    I very much agree with this, except for the bit about "HPoH" being jargon. It's no different than OOTS, really - it's simply the acronym for the High Priest of Hel's name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    When Durkon gets hungry, he'll come through the OotS-verse's notoriously fragile fourth wall and dine on the people who have called him something goofy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I use the High Priest of Hel simply because that's the best thing to a name the comic has given him. I prefer not to use any forum created nicknames. I also steadfastly refuse to abbreviate the High Priest of Hel.
    How vampires work in OOTS.

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    I've been calling him both Durkula ans HPOP
    H-Pop? Is that Hittite pop music (analogous to J-Pop, K-Pop and C-Pop)?

OK, I'll slink back to my corner...
    Spoiler: My Stuff
    Show
    D&D Creations / Homebrewing
    The Haliburn Galaxy: D&D Reinvented as Science-Fiction
    Book-Learnin' - Extended rules for the Knowledge skill

D&D-Inspired Fiction, on Wattpad
    No Legend for Us (Fantasy)
    The Heplion Contingency (Sci-Fi - set in the Haliburn Galaxy)

General Fiction
    Wattpad Profile (current works)
    Worldline Collapse (older works)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    "Durkula" sounds like a moniker crafted specifically to bring grief to all those who cared about Durkon in life...
    What a coincidence. Durkula the character seems crafted specifically to bring grief to all those who cared about Durkon in life, too. What a fitting coincidence
    "Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf
    Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Good 8 chaos, -7 evil and 8 balance

My jRPG style cRPG - playable demo finished: Dammerung: Requiem for Tomorrow

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    In short, Durkula doesn't fit this ultimately evil abomination at all. The name stuck, though, maybe even BECAUSE it is a complete mockery.
    Everyone left out the obligatory reply...

"Mockery is one of the things I hold dear. And he's making a mockery of it!"