New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Would you introduce the Matrix Sequels to a world that doesnt have them?

There are talks about alternate realities, and longtime internet Comedian SFDebris mentionned in a joke that itd be nice, if we ever contact alternate universes, if we could get the complete Firefly tv series (in a universe it wasn't cancelled) and Sarah Connor, while we could send them our great long-time shows that were cancelled in their universe (like MASH or DS9).

Now.. What if we received a message "in our universe, the Wachowski Brothers died before they could start filming their Matrix Sequels. We hoped you had them on your end, that movie was so popular people cant wait for its sequel!!"

Would you send it?

Do you think what Reloaded/Revolution added to the franchise is more than what it subtracted?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Would you introduce the Matrix Sequels to a world that doesnt have them?

I'd probable hand them over. I actually liked how
    Spoiler: Spoilit?
    Show
    Neo was just a plant by the computer overlords, and that they periodically allowed humanity to rise and fall to maintain order.

I thought it was creative. Plus the series sends a serious message in that if you let your revolutionary army party all night and then fight the next day sleep deprived and hungover, you're probably going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Would you introduce the Matrix Sequels to a world that doesnt have them?

Its just...

The first Matrix was not about the Human/Machine war. It was a backdrop to the movie's core story: Neo's journey of self discovery.

It was about Neo removing the lies that clouded his mind (first by the Machines, then by himself) until he finally reached Enlightnement. Once he reached the endpoint, once he was the One.. Well, that was it.

If you wanted the resolution of the Machine/Human conflict, well.. The Matrix wasnt about that. And continuing what was effectively a self contained story kind of detracted from that pure, undiluted journey we went with Neo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Sure, I didn't hate the sequels. They're flawed certainly, but it's an interesting sort of flawed rather than the "I don't give a **** because I haz all the moneyz!!!1" of a Michael Bay where I feel dumber from the experience of watching a soulless cash-in on some marketable title.

That, and it is the Wachowski's movie and that of the countless people who worked on it. I think it would be kind of petty to hide it away in some dusty drawer simply because of my supposed critical disdain for it and the fact that it's in my possession.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd probably drop Revolution. Reloaded didn't have a lot of great stuff in it, but the Smith fight and the highway sequence make the movie worthwhile. Plus, I actually really liked the Architect.

Revolution was just terrible though. Hugo Weaving did his best, but even he couldn't save that one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After reading this guy's essays analyzing both Reloaded and Revolutions, I had a much more favorable attitude toward what the Wachowskis did. It is not so much about the technical film making aspect, which can be criticized on its own, but that these movies do appear to have a consistent message although it may be quite dense and deeply embedded in symbolism.

http://www.wylfing.net/essays/matrix_reloaded.html

http://www.wylfing.net/essays/matrix_revolutions.html

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably respond: "Sequels? What sequels? Never heard of 'em."
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    I'd probably respond: "Sequels? What sequels? Never heard of 'em."
    All hail big brother. There never was a matrix.

9. - Top - End - #9

Yes, without question. I hated the second one when it came out. Years later I sat down and watched all three. I actually like the series as a whole more than I liked the first as a stand-alone film.

10. - Top - End - #10

Yes.

I think more joy would be derived from the sequels than there would be anti-joy from purists who hate them.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

No, because I'd be too busy looking through said alternate realities to find the "best versions", the paragons, as it were, of various franchises, shows and movies (there is no reason to assume that this reality is the one that did stuff best, of course. Nor is there a reason to presume that in another reality, the Matrix sequels couldn't have been good.)

With priority first given to cancelled shows like Invader Zim, Young justice, B5 Crusade...

Or for Star Fleet (Star Fleet X-Bomber in the US), which was going to have a second season, but there was a fire in the production facility so it never happened.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I would give them Jupiter Ascending, then ask again if they truly wanted the Matrix sequels.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-07-29 at 07:12 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd give them the movies, but let them know that they aren't even close to as good as the original. While I didn't find either one very entertaining, they aren't the worst things ever by a long shot.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Nope. Always leave 'em wanting more, I say. Better to die as the hero then live as the villain.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-07-30 at 09:46 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15

What about the Animatrix?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Like Aotrs, I'd be far to busy trying to find universes where some of my favorite shows not only didn't get cancelled, but went on to actually be entirely finished: Forever, Kyle XY, Fringe, The River, Siberia, The 11th Hour, My own Worst Enemy, Lie To Me and quite a few more.

If I had to though, yeah quite happily, I rather enjoyed both, though I liked the third more then the second.

Edit: Remembered one more, one that I really don't understand why it was cancelled considering it's ratings: Terra Nova. It has a 2.5 rating and averaged 7.2mil viewers, and a flat 2 is generally the cut-off for new shows. It was ranked as the #2 New drama show amongst viewers 18-49, and yet it got cancelled. >< Stupid Hollywood.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2015-07-30 at 12:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Matrix?
    As far as I know, the only two fictional Matrices are the Time Lords' super computer/database and the Autobot Matrix of Leadership. I'm pretty sure those are the only two.

More seriously, the first movie was rather pretty and worked well enough until Neo woke up in the real world, at which point it got really bad. Other than that the movies were a mess and far too impressed with their own 'cleverness' and the only half-way decent character there was Agent Smith, exaggerated and silly as he was. I wanted everyone else to die horribly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    More seriously, the first movie was rather pretty and worked well enough until Neo woke up in the real world, at which point it got really bad. Other than that the movies were a mess and far too impressed with their own 'cleverness' and the only half-way decent character there was Agent Smith, exaggerated and silly as he was. I wanted everyone else to die horribly.
    I agree. I disliked the first movie, loathed the second and just sneered at the third.

Agent Smith was by far the most interesting character, but d i d n ' t space y o u space w i s h space h e space w o u l d space j u s t space s p e a k spacea space l i t t l e space f a s t e r? He must've been valedictorian for his class from the James T Kirk School of Acting.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If nothing else, bad movies should exist so we can point out what they did wrong and what they managed to do right.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Edit: Remembered one more, one that I really don't understand why it was cancelled considering it's ratings: Terra Nova. It has a 2.5 rating and averaged 7.2mil viewers, and a flat 2 is generally the cut-off for new shows. It was ranked as the #2 New drama show amongst viewers 18-49, and yet it got cancelled. >< Stupid Hollywood.
    This one had a very interesting finale too. The problem here is that it wasn't a standard new show, but one that was apparently VERY expensive to make. I think they needed higher than standard ratings to accommodate for that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest, I thought they were pretty much Ok, but horribly goofy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't see why not. Opinion is subjective after all and maybe they'd like it over in that universe. Personally, I like Reloaded. But that's just my opinion and I don't want this thread to go off on a big which films were good argument. I'm just saying maybe they would like those films so why not.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would so they can be just as miserable as the primary timeline

Then maybe their best minds (including alternate me) would be driven to help me refine this reality-hopping technology, so we can find one where the sequels and video games were actually good, and spread those across the multiverse.

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24

An interesting question.
    I'd say yes. They weren't TERRIBLE, and they do have a cool overarching story, even if the second two aren't as good, and the overall science bugs the crap out of me.
    I would definitely give them the Animatrix, though.

A counter-question:
    Same situation, but alt-earth asks for the Star Wars Prequels.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    A counter-question:
    Sure, just edit Jar Jar out. No universe deserves Jar-Jar. Unless he is frozen in carbonite and sent into the Sun.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    A counter-question:

I would say... yes, but would anyone ask for Star Wars prequels absent knowledge of their existence? The Matrix I could understand because the central conflict of Man versus Machine really isn't concluded, a sequel may be considered unnecessary but it's not unreasonable in much the same way Terminator or Alien kept going when they really didn't have to logically. However, did we really get anything out of the prequel trilogy that we were just chomping at the bit to know prior to it?

More generally, Star Wars absent Lucas as the creative force works just fine, better in many cases. Lucas dying and leaving the film rights to someone else could easily have led to what Disney is doing years earlier and without the prequel-era tainting it, in much the same way Roddenberry leaving TNG led to its golden age.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I would say... yes, but would anyone ask for Star Wars prequels absent knowledge of their existence?
    Yes. Everyone and their cousin has at least heard of the presumably badass Clone Wars; some portion of those people would want a story about those wars.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Its just...

The first Matrix was not about the Human/Machine war. It was a backdrop to the movie's core story: Neo's journey of self discovery.

It was about Neo removing the lies that clouded his mind (first by the Machines, then by himself) until he finally reached Enlightnement. Once he reached the endpoint, once he was the One.. Well, that was it.

If you wanted the resolution of the Machine/Human conflict, well.. The Matrix wasnt about that. And continuing what was effectively a self contained story kind of detracted from that pure, undiluted journey we went with Neo.
    Eh, I mean the same could be said of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. We see him grow as a man and finally completely trust in the Force to save the day.

I still want to see him actually take down the Empire though.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Eh, I mean the same could be said of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. We see him grow as a man and finally completely trust in the Force to save the day.

I still want to see him actually take down the Empire though.
    Not really. Destroying the Death Star is one of the main focus of the first movie. The intro is about it, the McGuffin is about it, and the climax is about it.

In the same way, the third movie is a lot about killing the Emperor. We are told he will be there in the very first scene. He appears throughout the movie, and its made clear he is the objective of the whole mission that the climax is leading to. Also, he is the main obstacle to Darth Vader's redemption, which can only be achieved through his death.

Only the second movie is about Luke's journey of self-discovery, of his past and his abilities. When he abandon that journey for selfish reasons (that he believes are selffless), he almost lose everything by further revelations he was not ready to learn.

Please note that "destruction of something Imperial" is hardly the focus of the second movie. Its mostly a character piece on Luke and Han/Leia. More driven by characters than actions.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The only good things to come out of the Star Wars prequels were the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon and the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Darth Maul fight. I'd probably save those and bring only that to the parallel universe, only to watch them Pandora's Box themselves into horror as they disbelieve that the best lightsaber fights in the series come from the FIRST movie in the trilogy and a series of 3-minute cartoons and watch the prequels anyway.

For my part, I'd be searching for the parallel movies which start with the Clone Wars in progress (opening crawl for exposition explanation) and has Anakin Skywalker crippled within the first 30 minutes, then spends the rest of the movies examining his descent into the Dark Side as the Emperor exerts more and more influence and corrupts him. And yes, I mean the Emperor, not Senator Palpatine. No "Force lightning'ed into looking evil" bull, he looks evil because he's freaking EVIL and the Dark Side does that to you.

In other words, the backstory of Darth Vader that we all wanted, not the backstory of whiny kid Anakin Skywalker. A movie showing how he got the suit, and then two movies of Darth Vader being awesome.