New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: game/not a game

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: game/not a game

Quote Originally Posted by ralphmerridew View Post
    I'm not so sure that http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html says Stanley started the war.

I'm reading "Since you began questing for the other Arkentools, we have not won a battle." as "We had won battles early on, but since you prioritized the Arkentools over ________, we haven't won any since."
    Let's call it even shall we?
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-08-02 at 05:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: game/not a game

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Hmm... maybe you're right. Maybe we should all just think in terms of trite, Hollywood-esque clichés of children's tales, rather then looking for deeper meaning. And by "Hollywood-esque" I mean Boop like sticking an "It was all a dream" ending on Baum's "Wizard of Oz." Clue: in the book, Dorothy is not dreaming, does not set out (or even want) to "save the world" and does not want to stick around to see things made right. All she (or the sham Wizard for that matter) want is to save their own skin until they can Get the Boop out of there (and not because she was "unhappy" with her life at home either.) But in the best Victorian tradition, think about such things is "unsuitable" for children, so let's clean it up and throw in a "there's no place like home" lesson at the end. Boop that.

So we should all just base our thinking on stereotypes and appearances then? Judge someone as "Good" or "Evil" because they look the way we've been conditioned to think. Uh-huh. Oh look, there's a guy with slanty eyes! Put him in a concentration camp. There's someone wearing a turban! He must be a terrorist! No, I would not expect Parson to think for a second about it, mainly because as we've seen he does think exactly that way. But Rob is the writer, and is that the point Rob is trying to reinforce here?
    I don't know how a criticism of Oz translates into a rebuttal of my thinking that violent atrocities for the sake of purposeless ambition for power wasn't completely irrelevant, but you said it so sarcastically it must be true. Or maybe you were attacking me to draw attention away from the weakness of your actual argument.

God forbid we ever let the sum of our past experience affect our judgment of any event or person. This would surely doom us all. Your apparent misunderstanding of the distinction among logic/reason with paranoia/prejudice is... exactly what I would expect from someone who feared logic and reason, actually.

And I really appreciate using my ignorance of a completely different webcomic to insult my maturity, because it's entirely relevant and helps position you as my mental superior.

I do certainly take this as an attack rather than a rebuttal, and I very much resent it.

-----------------------------

Your thinking on the Domesday (Pronounced 'Doomsday' in the older dialect) Project I appreciate. And yes, it is very silly, isn't it? In hindsight. Ah, isn't that always the catch. "Well that was certainly stupid!" "Yeah, in hindsight."
    Last edited by Arameus; 2007-08-02 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!