New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: VIGIL 3: Uh... can we get a mulligan?

Quote Originally Posted by Solidarity View Post
    [Fel's Home - Temp VIGIL HQ]

Marcus ought to soon hear his phone go off as he trains. The caller ID will read: Runeheart.
    Fel's Home - Temp VIGIL HQ

Marcus sheathes his blade and wipes the sweat from his eyes before checking his phone.
    Ahh, Runeheart. I wonder what he needs?
    He hits the "talk" button and raises the device to his ear.

Hello, friend! What can I do for you?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Fel's Home - Temp VIGIL HQ - Door

"Oh, nonono. He sure finds time for you. He prepared things to meet you today. I just need to call so he knows when you will come."
    the man replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Felandria's House Temp Vigil HQ]

"They're not secretive, that's for sure," Wenomir says. "I think I'll withdraw some of the money from my shares and buy us some silver weapons. We'll need them. I'm using replacements now, since my personal weaponry was lost in the attack. I have no idea where I'll find a new personal weapon."

"Well, I just need to exchange a few words with Wenomir and then I'll get back to you. I won't be long." Cessie replies before slowly closing the door to give the man a chance to say something if he needs to before she heads in to find the other leader. Which might take place off-screen depending on what Morty says.

"That's probably a good idea. I believe researching these things should be a priority however since from what I'm told they're immortal. They just keep returning after death and how can you defeat a foe like that?" She asks rhetorically.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"They return, which means they do go somewhere after they die. So we'll need to find the source and strike directly at it. It's a long-term goal, but it is a goal. We won't stand a chance unless we're at least as strong as we were before the attack, of course. So we'll need to both research it and rebuild our strength. One battle at a time," Wenomir says.

'Base'-Wide

Wenomir will try to make sure a message reaches all Vigil members and allies. They're to inform him of any possible sources of funding and resource acquisition. Seek them out if they feel they can do it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post

Marcus sheathes his blade and wipes the sweat from his eyes before checking his phone.
    Ahh, Runeheart. I wonder what he needs?
    He hits the "talk" button and raises the device to his ear.

Hello, friend! What can I do for you?

A familiar voice greets him on the other end, somewhat static-y. Perhaps not the best coverage.

"Hey man, what's up? I was hoping I'd catch you before your crowd went on that crusade you were talkin' about." He pauses briefly. "It was mostly by habit, but I've been doing a bit of research on your demons ever since I got back from you telling me about 'em. I realized I don't have a whole lot of info on demons like what you'd talked about...well, more like not a lot of specific info."

The call seemed to go in and out in between the Wizard's next few words.

"There's a couple of types I read about that fit. The one thing I'm curious about is if they're the ones that're prone to silver. If you guys are hunting down those kinds, then I know exactly how you can pay me back. I'll be pretty short: I need an eye, a spine and some blood. Like a vial or two ought to do it-oh and I mean the real deal about the spine; neck to ass. Need 'em for some powerful sealing magic. Think you could do it once you all gank these guys?"

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

"They return, which means they do go somewhere after they die. So we'll need to find the source and strike directly at it. It's a long-term goal, but it is a goal. We won't stand a chance unless we're at least as strong as we were before the attack, of course. So we'll need to both research it and rebuild our strength. One battle at a time," Wenomir says.

Cessie nods grimly. Sounded like a rather unrealistic goal considering what she suspected. "That reminds me. While attempting to researching the blood I came in contact with a strange individual who told me that a great deal of research of these beings already existed. It's simply restricted for anyone outside their kin. So I figured they might have some sort of relationship to these creatures and considering what they are, they're likely enemies."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir quirks an eyebrow.

"Really? Who and what were they?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #67

"I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there is a particular shop in mallside called the unsullied bazaar that I bought the dimension lock I needed for my experiments with the blood. My theory was that it would stop the rapid disintegrating that occurs at death of these beings. In any case, the energy being that ran the shop mentioned to me that they had research on these 'demons' but he refused to share more than at death they're sent to what it called a 'junk dimension', something which my experiments can't confirm yet. I suspect they use a lot more sophisticated technology than I do though, considering what they were selling." Cessie explains with a small sigh. She didn't like being inferior.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure that's terrible. Now she knows how Wenomir feels pretty much all the time. Particularly right now.

That aside, his eyes narrow and he seems actually interested.

"Curious. That might be our best, or indeed only, source of information. If only we can get them to divulge their secrets."

9. - Top - End - #69

"According to the shopkeeper there is a law that forbids them from sharing certain technology or information with other species. So anything we tried might not be strictly... legal." She frowns and shakes her head. "I don't know. Do you have any ideas?"

10. - Top - End - #70

A familiar voice greets him on the other end, somewhat static-y. Perhaps not the best coverage.

"Hey man, what's up? I was hoping I'd catch you before your crowd went on that crusade you were talkin' about." He pauses briefly. "It was mostly by habit, but I've been doing a bit of research on your demons ever since I got back from you telling me about 'em. I realized I don't have a whole lot of info on demons like what you'd talked about...well, more like not a lot of specific info."

The call seemed to go in and out in between the Wizard's next few words.

"There's a couple of types I read about that fit. The one thing I'm curious about is if they're the ones that're prone to silver. If you guys are hunting down those kinds, then I know exactly how you can pay me back. I'll be pretty short: I need an eye, a spine and some blood. Like a vial or two ought to do it-oh and I mean the real deal about the spine; neck to ass. Need 'em for some powerful sealing magic. Think you could do it once you all gank these guys?"

Marcus frowns. These were some odd ingredients to be sure...
    I believe I've heard a thing or two about silver, but I don't know from personal experience. I found magic to be successful enough.
    We haven't begun the counterattack just yet, so I could try to salvage some parts.

He hesitates, not wanting to disappoint the man, the friend, who had practically saved his life.
    I have to ask...
    What are you sealing, my friend?

Anything that requires several vials of blood and spines is sure to be powerful and likely sinister as well.
    As much as Regulus trusts Runeheart, he would need to know what the Wizard was planning before aiding him in what could prove to be Vigil's next quest.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"Well, I just need to exchange a few words with Wenomir and then I'll get back to you. I won't be long." Cessie replies before slowly closing the door to give the man a chance to say something if he needs to before she heads in to find the other leader. Which might take place off-screen depending on what Morty says.

"That's probably a good idea. I believe researching these things should be a priority however since from what I'm told they're immortal. They just keep returning after death and how can you defeat a foe like that?" She asks rhetorically.

The man nods. "I will wait here then."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post

Marcus frowns. These were some odd ingredients to be sure...
    I believe I've heard a thing or two about silver, but I don't know from personal experience. I found magic to be successful enough.
    We haven't begun the counterattack just yet, so I could try to salvage some parts.

He hesitates, not wanting to disappoint the man, the friend, who had practically saved his life.
    I have to ask...
    What are you sealing, my friend?

Anything that requires several vials of blood and spines is sure to be powerful and likely sinister as well.
    As much as Regulus trusts Runeheart, he would need to know what the Wizard was planning before aiding him in what could prove to be Vigil's next quest.

The static recedes a bit. Sounds can be heard in the background. It sounds like the Wizard is traveling while on the phone.

"Sounds like my guess was on the money then." Marcus chuckles. "Chill, man. It's not anything awful, promise. Quite the opposite. I need the stuff for a project I've been working on. Demons tend to have some pretty nifty innate portal based abilities. Using their remains a certain way, I can enchant a gate to seal properties of the spells I need to make sure the portal destinations are set right, and people don't get shunted off to some random plane or dimension. You follow?"

It may be something the Praetorian passes off or takes no notice of, but there's a hint of respect in Mark's tone. The mage recognized that the man had his own code he had to follow, even if it meant being wary of a pal. Good on 'em. Mark had a pretty high appreciation for following one's own set of rules. The guy's more or less a bureaucrat at heart.
    Last edited by Solidarity; 2015-08-17 at 12:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Our needs here are more important than any of their laws," Wenomir says. "There's too much at stake. We don't exactly have enough resources to bribe them, even if one of them were susceptible to it, which I doubt. Maybe they would be willing to exchange it for a great enough service?"

14. - Top - End - #74

"This is something I normally don't recommend but there is bound to be less law-abiding elements in their society right? Apparently they have an entire city called Galespire in Seaside. They 'generously' allow other species to stay in the lower sections of it." Cessie explains.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Can we convince them one of us is of their species?"
    A color-swapped version of Cessie walks up, smiling cheerily.

"Or could we put them in a situation where they would give us that information in exchange for their lives?"

Some presence pokes at Cessie's memories, looking for details on these 'energy beings'.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #76

The static recedes a bit. Sounds can be heard in the background. It sounds like the Wizard is traveling while on the phone.

"Sounds like my guess was on the money then." Marcus chuckles. "Chill, man. It's not anything awful, promise. Quite the opposite. I need the stuff for a project I've been working on. Demons tend to have some pretty nifty innate portal based abilities. Using their remains a certain way, I can enchant a gate to seal properties of the spells I need to make sure the portal destinations are set right, and people don't get shunted off to some random plane or dimension. You follow?"

It may be something the Praetorian passes off or takes no notice of, but there's a hint of respect in Mark's tone. The mage recognized that the man had his own code he had to follow, even if it meant being wary of a pal. Good on 'em. Mark had a pretty high appreciation for following one's own set of rules. The guy's more or less a bureaucrat at heart.

Hmm, where could the Signomancer be going?

Marcus breathes a sigh of relief. He didn't expect anything too horrid from his friend, but demon spines are not a common request.

I'll try to save you a spine or too. Blood shouldn't be hard to come by, and if I don't stab it first, I'll collect you an eye.

Anything else I can do for you?

The Roman was always one for rules. They were the building blocks of society, after all. That being said, the respect is mutual.

Marcus can appreciate the value of making sure something is done right the first time.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd rather not threaten them," Wenomir says, taking Arlem's sudden appearance in stride. "We have enough enemies as it is."

18. - Top - End - #78

Can Cessie detect this presence looking around in her head? Either way Arlem will be able to see mental images of these beings from the sorceress memories. Her reaction isn't particularly favorable either way though. "Whoever you are, please stop doing that." She declares in a firm voice as she stares at the person who assumed her form. "If it's a point you like to make, you could have stated it." She wasn't too keen on others assuming her form.

19. - Top - End - #79

"Deception or service it is then."

Cessie wouldn't normally be able to feel anything, but if she has magical defenses or ESP of her own, she might notice something. Arlem-as-Cessie rolls her eyes and takes on the shape of one of the ethereal things, outfit and all.
    "Two out of two, no fun at all. If I wanted to make a point of it, I'd...well, nevermind. Arlem D'arlion Mersienne, at your service, oh mysterious Watchtower leader."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"I thought I'd instructed you not to take members' shapes without permission, Arlem," Wenomir says with a sigh.

21. - Top - End - #81

Cessie doesn't have any specific mind defenses, just a strong will which is true to any trained eldritch user of her world. She can resist compulsions and perhaps people finding more private memories but not something as simple as this.
    "Cessie Mithar." She replies curtly, raising an eyebrow when she sees Arlem's new disguise. "You're already familiar with them then? Since it looks like you like to volunteer to this mission."

22. - Top - End - #82

"You instructed me not to take your shape, sir, but I will take that into effect."

He gives a nod.
    "Passingly familiar, yes. I will need more information on them, but I do volunteer."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

"That's good. You should be well-suited for the task," Wenomir says. "Cessie knows more about them, so she can fill you in."

24. - Top - End - #84

Cessie takes a deep breath, VIGIL did attract all sort of people didn't it? "Very well, I'm afraid all my information can be summed up in what I managed to gouge from the shopkeeper. I have the location of their capital here in the nexus and some of their customs. Apparently all kinds of weapons with the exception of tools such as knives are forbidden according to their laws. They generally look down at all kinds of violence, preferring civil discussion. They allow other species to stay in the lower parts of the city but they are subjected the some of their laws in exchange for their protection. It's said to be the safest place in seaside, if the shopkeeper is to be believed that is." She explains.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2015-08-18 at 03:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Arlem nods. Is this form capable of smiling? Doesn't seem to be.

"Understood. So this Galespire will be the place to look."
    "If something were to happen to this city later on, completely unconnected to us, would that be adverse to your interests?"

He can set aside his dislike once he's headed out to the mission, but as it is, Arlem hates everything he's heard about the ethereal things.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, it would. Even if you find out what we need from them, keeping them safe and capable of opposing the demons if necessary is in our best interest," Wenomir says.

27. - Top - End - #87

The sorceress frowns. "What's that supposed to mean? They're hardly a threat to the stability of this plane by the sound of it so let's not spend time pissing them off when we have real threats to deal with."

28. - Top - End - #88

"They sounded likely to become problematic. The destruction of Galespire might, or might not, head off future problems. Regardless, as they may be helpful now, it should be left."

Arlem gives a wave and turns to leave the HQ.
    "I'll get to it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir shrugs once Arlem is gone.

"Well, that's that. Hopefully he... they... manage to get what we need. Riddle knows I'm the last person you'd send on such a mission."

30. - Top - End - #90

Cessie looks after Arlem as they walk away. "I will trust your judgement on Arlem but exactly why did she ask if we minded if something happened to the city? What exactly was she suggesting there?"