New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: VIGIL 3: Uh... can we get a mulligan?

Memorial Service

Felandria walks up to the memorial board and lays several flowers next to the others.

She turns to the assembled.

I fought alongside Dao when everything went down.

He fought quite valiantly.

I....

I should have taken him with me, I shouldn't have allowed him to stay behind, I should have carried him to HALO.........

allmyfault.

Tears roll down her cheeks as she shuffles away.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

Cessie isn't planning to say anything. It would feel false considering she hadn't really known these people. She could still feel a responsibility towards them however, she should have been here. Still, she will let the others say their piece first. Then maybe she should speak up.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir goes to sit down in the back. He's said what he planned to, so now he'll let everyone else speak their mind if they want. If anyone wants to speak with him personally, he's available.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

"Sakura?" Adir says quietly, beneath the ambient sounds of the forest and the gentle whispers of the other mourners. He nudges his wife gently. "I'm gonna go talk to Wenomir. Are you okay? Do you wanna come, or..." The stag glances at Cessie. If Sakura's not gonna come with him, he'd prefer if she were at least with Cessie.

Alone or not, Adir will head in the warrior's direction as soon as he has a chance.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-09-12 at 03:34 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

"Oh. No, go ahead. I'll just be right here." Sakura wipes her cheeks and shuffles a bit closer to Cessie. Otherwise she stays quiet for anyone else that wants to talk.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

"Hey Adir," Wenomir says in a tired voice when the hunter approaches. He doesn't look or sound any better up close. "I'm glad you could make it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #157

[Memorial Service]

"Hey, Wenomir," Adir starts. Without much ado, he sits down beside the other man, letting his hands dangle in his lap. "So am I."

'How are you doing' sounds a little too normal. Silence, while not the worst option between two soldiers, can never be an option for Adir. So he talks.

The stag glances at his... friend? Old comrade? He wishes they'd fought together more often. "You know I thought you three were untouchable?" The stag's eyes shine. "You, and DC, and KR. I thought you were all heroes."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-09-12 at 03:59 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #158

[Another training Session]

((I won't mind more details, if it's ok for you. I totally like this stuff, sadly I wasn't able to train it anywhere))

"Yes I am. Do I need the sword I brought back from the savehouse in inside?"

[Memorial Service]

Soon after some of the others have spoken, Mia will leave the Memorial. She will head for somewhere she can't see the whole thing and will take a seat there. Other then that she won't do anything more.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2015-09-12 at 04:27 PM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. I'd like to see how you can perform the strikes on your own. Just against a dummy, for now. But you'll start to practice against me soon enough. Would be easier if I had another student."

Assuming that Mia retrieves the sword, Wenomir will grip his own weapon - a replacement he's using with his old weapons gone.

"There are three basic attacks that the longsword is capable of. The strike, the thrust and the cut, or slice. It sounds easy, but it's like with colours - there are three basic ones, but they combine to form more shades than anyone will ever see. So too the strikes, cuts and slices, when combined with the four guards, create a vast array of moves. The mark of a proficient sword-fighter is to choose the right attack or defence in the blink of an eye."

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir laughs. It's a rather pathetic sort of laugh, devoid of any humour whatsoever.

"Yeah. They were heroes, once. But now, DC's gone off the deep and and could be dead. Though that might be asking too much. And Kr might well be worse than just dead," he says. "So here I am. The last one standing. A punchline. The difference is that I've always been a punchline."

10. - Top - End - #160

[Memorial Service]

Adir replies rather quietly, plowing completely through Wenomir's self-pitying bull****. "You know, I still think that."

The stag folds his fingers and looks at the other fellow, brows stitched together. "I know you're hurting right now, Wenomir, but this isn't the part where you break. We don't just fade to black. I need somebody to save the world, here, man." Adir smiles his crisp smile, words flavored with a melancholy chuckle, but his eyes narrow. "What happened? Where'd the killer go?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir shrugs.

"The killer is sitting on the ruins of our base, that I destroyed," he says. "I'm afraid it is the part where I break, Adir. I'll do my best to drag Vigil out of this hole, because Cessie can't do it by herself. But..." he looks forward, trying to explain it. "I lost. Finally and completely, this time. You know I'd always stuck by my warrior's path. The "Riddle of Steel". Maybe you've been lucky enough not to hear me blather about it. And where did it get me? To the point where I destroyed my own home to deny the enemies the spoils. The spoils of the biggest battle in my life, that I lost. Sacrificing my treasured weapon to do it. I stood on that spire and realized there was nothing I could have done to affect the outcome. Losing one's delusions is not a pleasant experience."
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-09-12 at 06:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Temp HQ]

((Assuming it's not during the memorial service.))

Wenomir looks up from sharpening a long axe. He had a look of vague distaste on his face when he did so - like he didn't approve of the weapon he was holding.

"AMEN? They're a group of villains. They've been around since... forever, really. They live in a virtually unassailable volcano base. They haven't been much of a threat since our last battle with them. We couldn't destroy their base, but we broke their morale and crippled their leadership. Why do you ask?"
    ((Yeah, I assume this takes place a fair bit after the funeral)

"Well that's a relief" says, Portal before quickly adding "I mean, the not a major threat thing, not the unassailable volcano base (though now that I think about it, that seems like a disaster waiting to happen." Portal's body tenses up, a frustrated look in his eyes. "As for why I care...well I won't get into detail because I know you're dealing with a lot right now, but I'm stuck here, for god knows how long. I need to do something good, something meaningful, something to distract me from worrying about those I left behind." He pauses for a second to collect himself. "Sorry I know you're in a lot pain right now, and I don't mean to pile it on. Just, is there anything I could do to help around here?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

[Temp HQ]

Wenomir leans on the axe. "You misunderstand me. I know why you're here and what you want to do. I was just wondering if you had some information about AMEN that suggested they were becoming active again. It's not the first time they're quiet and inactive. Sooner or later another strong leader might take charge and they'll start causing trouble again. Keeping an eye on them might be prudent. Are you up for something like that?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-09-13 at 06:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

"Yes. I'd like to see how you can perform the strikes on your own. Just against a dummy, for now. But you'll start to practice against me soon enough. Would be easier if I had another student."

Assuming that Mia retrieves the sword, Wenomir will grip his own weapon - a replacement he's using with his old weapons gone.

"There are three basic attacks that the longsword is capable of. The strike, the thrust and the cut, or slice. It sounds easy, but it's like with colours - there are three basic ones, but they combine to form more shades than anyone will ever see. So too the strikes, cuts and slices, when combined with the four guards, create a vast array of moves. The mark of a proficient sword-fighter is to choose the right attack or defence in the blink of an eye."

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir laughs. It's a rather pathetic sort of laugh, devoid of any humour whatsoever.

"Yeah. They were heroes, once. But now, DC's gone off the deep and and could be dead. Though that might be asking too much. And Kr might well be worse than just dead," he says. "So here I am. The last one standing. A punchline. The difference is that I've always been a punchline."

Mia nods and get's the sword she mentioned. It should be said that the sword is a bit to long for her. She nods.

"Are there any example moves then? I mean combinations that have prooven to be most effectiv?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"There are some fairly specific moves recorded in various books," Wenomir says. "But for now, I'll show you the most basic ones that you'll need to master first. Observe."

Wenomir grips his sword in both hands, pointing it upwards.

Spoiler
    Show

He then steps towards a training dummy, swinging the sword diagonally downwards. It strikes the dummy, cutting the leather and ends up pointing downwards.

"That was an overcut. A basic strike you'll be performing a lot."

16. - Top - End - #166

Mia nods. Then she looks at her sword. She is still not that strong to hold it all the time so it leans next to her. She is a bit afraid , that she can't keep up with the training Wenomir planned. It's still new for her to learn from someone, especially since he treats her different then the people in her world.

"So I go do it as long as I can?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

[Temp HQ]

Wenomir leans on the axe. "You misunderstand me. I know why you're here and what you want to do. I was just wondering if you had some information about AMEN that suggested they were becoming active again. It's not the first time they're quiet and inactive. Sooner or later another strong leader might take charge and they'll start causing trouble again. Keeping an eye on them might be prudent. Are you up for something like that?"
    "You mean spying on them? Sure, just point me in the right direction, and I'll be off!" says Portal. "As for information, I don't know much. On the wall, someone claiming to be from AMEN was looking for recruits, especially recruits with specialized knowledge like scientists and such. I don't know their MO well enough to know how urgent that is, but new recruits to a supervillain organization are never a good thing. i think they got one too, some sociopathic female scientist." Portal leans back and thinks for a moment. "Do you know what the capabilities of any of the current members are?" he asks Wenomir, "I'm going to try to stay out of sight unless you say otherwise, but It'd be nice to know what I'm dealing with in case they can block my teleportation or something. "

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Just try it a few times first," Wenomir says. "Pay attention to your feet and the balance of your body. You'll mess up a few times at first, and that's normal. I nearly cut off my own foot once or twice."

[Temp HQ]

"AMEN has always attracted scientists of the mentally unstable variety," Wenomir says with a nod. "Any members that I knew are dead, gone or turncoat, as far as I remember. So you should expect anything. Spying on their main base is too risky. There's a malevolent intelligence dwelling there... blocking teleportation is the least nasty thing it does. But..." he rubs his chin. "They managed to carve a piece of territory for themselves in Riverside some time ago. If they're planning something again, it might involve that place."

19. - Top - End - #169

[Memorial Service]

Adir watches Wenomir tear himself down, feeling lost. He props his arms on his knees and stares, till the warrior is through, then turns his own gaze forward. Watching the procession.

Everything that pops into his head seems weak or petty. Towering self-doubt like that is a thing Adir can relate to, but not quite on this scale. What does he say?

Adir wants to provide some encouragement. He wants to get angry, he wants to make Wenomir stand up again. But... he hasn't earned the right to be harsh. He hasn't really earned the right to say anything.

He wishes he'd been here, and that he could've been Wenomir's friend. Before this. He wishes he'd tried harder.

So Adir sits and says nothing, and they watch the procession.

Then, after a time, he replies very calmly. "I'm sorry, Wenomir."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2015-09-15 at 02:14 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir takes a deep breath.

"Thanks, Adir. For taking it seriously. No one else ever has," he says. "I've always been angry about how they dismissed me. Now I realize they may have been right. I don't know what to do about it."

21. - Top - End - #171

[Memorial Service]

Adir turns his eyes on the warrior again and frowns. Just a little.

"I can't... validate you, Wenomir. That's pretty much up to you, in your own head, because the people here, around us, the people who matter? They already know you're worth a whole godsdamned lot. In fact, where I sit, you seem to be the only person who disagrees." Adir's eyes harden and narrow, to twinkling obsidian slits. His mouth twists into a grim smile. "Tell me I'm wrong. I mean, you can, if you want, but then I'm going to try to kick your ass and I don't really feel like going to the ER today."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

[Memorial Service - Wenomir's Brain]

Something weird happens. 'Weird' in this case meaning Wenomir is liable to start hearing voices in his head. Given who the first one is, it could be attributed to telepathy, but the next three put that into question. It actually is telepathy, but he's screwing with him and wants deniability at the same time.

Hey, for what it's worth, Rawicz, I agree with you. You're a stubborn moron whose adherence to his primitive code has probably gotten people killed, because you could've done something about it had you not refused to adapt with the times. You went on, acting like your way was the only way, and look where your lack of adaptation and vigilance got you? Hell, it's no wonder I was the only one who got anything done, in retrospect your dedication to your primitivism is the same dedication you had to never budging whenever the damn bureaucracy got in my way. Is it any wonder I just ignored it, just like everyone ignores you? Oh, and they did. Let's ask them. DC, his anger fully intact.

Raptor Christ, you couldn't hold all this together for five minutes without me, could you? Magtok, with his usual ego and bluster.

Should've left it to the professionals. Vice Commander N'alae, dismissing him all the more bluntly compared to when they actually met.

Not that he took anyone else any more seriously than they took him. Never noticed a thing wrong with me until it was too late. Kr, for a voice that might actually matter to him.

But what are you going to do about it? Himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

23. - Top - End - #173

"Just try it a few times first," Wenomir says. "Pay attention to your feet and the balance of your body. You'll mess up a few times at first, and that's normal. I nearly cut off my own foot once or twice."

[Temp HQ]

"AMEN has always attracted scientists of the mentally unstable variety," Wenomir says with a nod. "Any members that I knew are dead, gone or turncoat, as far as I remember. So you should expect anything. Spying on their main base is too risky. There's a malevolent intelligence dwelling there... blocking teleportation is the least nasty thing it does. But..." he rubs his chin. "They managed to carve a piece of territory for themselves in Riverside some time ago. If they're planning something again, it might involve that place."

Mia nods.

She takes a stance and holds the sword up. The sword shakes as she tries her best to hold it up straith. When she performs her first hit everything looks good, but in her swing the sword turns a bit to the side. When she hits the dummy , the sword just bounce of the dummy and slides down to the side. Mia, not really prepared for something forcing her that way falls in the same direction.
    "ouch" she says as she stands up again, rubbing over her arms that now have some scrape. A few moments later she is up again, saying no word.
    Her next tries are worst. She seems to be in pain swinging the sword which cause her to miss the doll.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service - Wenomir's Brain]

Wenomir opens his mouth as if to say something to Adir. Then, however, the look on his face twists with anger. Adir has never seen him nearly as mad.

"Get. Out of my head, you sick f**k," he snarls, pressing his hands against his temples.

Inside Wenomir's head-space, DC will find the mental connection blocked out by an impassable wall of sheer, visceral fury. A dam bursts, releasing the feelings Wenomir usually keeps in check. It's as if a metal gate clanged shut, but the gate is made of molten iron. It happens around the time he starts taunting him with Kr's voice, predictably enough. To a psychic mind, it might feel as though it was bodily thrown through the closing gate, accompanied by a howl of fury.

The warrior gets up, stands straight and turns to Adir. His anger is radiating off him, his eyes seem to burn and it feels like he's grown taller. But it's probably an upgrade from the deep emotional hole he was in just before.

"DC," he snarls. "That motherless goat-buggerer got into my head somehow. I knew he was still alive. And he couldn't resist the chance to taunt me."

Wenomir claps his hands briefly.

"That's enough for now. Let me see your arms and then we'll try again. Slowly and without a dummy."
    Last edited by Morty; 2015-09-16 at 10:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

[Memorial Service - Just outside Wenomir's brain!]

Adir's ears point straight up as Wenomir's face warps into a rictus of anger. What! Was it something he said! The stag is about to start throwing out questions when the warrior puts his hands on his temples. "Wenomir?" He blinks and leans forward. "What's wrong? Is your head alright?"

It's then Wenomir stands. It is an easy thing to remember why he's the only one left in charge when he seems about nine feet tall. The stag is half worried Wendy's going to try and hit him when he snarls an explanation. "I heard he left, before the end, and Cessie said he'd come back, but..." Adir takes his time to glance around the clearing. "She did also say he'd died. How close does he have to be to transmit thoughts into your brain like that?" The stag's quick eyes see everything.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

There is an odd sense of satisfaction there before the connection is cut, and neither will find him anywhere nearby.

There is no further telepathy: After all, DC got exactly what he wanted out of this. He knows the motivating power of rage better than most, and an enraged Wenomir will be more useful for everyone than a moping one by a significant margin.

Exactly as planned.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2015-09-16 at 11:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

"He did die. I saw it," Wenomir says. He has not noticeably calmed down yet. His anger is just more focused now, like an acetylene torch as compared to a raging bonfire. "But a man with his paranoia, his resources and his power? I'd have been surprised if he hadn't come back somehow." His fists clench, and then loosen. "We'll need some psychic scramblers installed. But hopefully he restricts himself to infantile taunting."

28. - Top - End - #178

Memorial Service

Marcus is not close enough to Wenomir and Adir to hear their conversation, but he can tell that his leader is distressed at best.
    Hoping to pull attention away from the grieving swordsman, the Staff Officer clears his throat loudly, preparing to say some words.

I should mention that he's cleaned himself up. His beard has been trimmed short, his clothes are clean, and his sword is actually sheathed at his side. That being said, he still glows red. It's slightly eerie.

My friends, brothers and sisters of Vigil. We have lost fine companions. I, for one, can say that they were taken too soon, for I did know them as well as I should've. I know that they were strong, and dedicated, and they sought out a better Nexus than the one we live in today.
    Perhaps they've found it. Some day, we may join them, but for now, we will trudge on in this life. We will honor their lives be purifying the world of their murderers, and we will once again rid the world of evil, as our mission states.
    Our friends are fallen, but we shall rise.

Let us take this time to remember their deeds. Let their actions inspire ours.

He steps back, his face redder than usual. Speeches did not come easily to the Runist, especially not in tragic times.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

[Memorial Service]

Adir glances over as Runist says his piece, but his attention is divided between the distressed Wenomir and the actual proceedings. "Uhh. Long shot here. Maybe he's a ghost?" Adir posits. The stag has one more look around the edge of the memorial site. "Either way, man," he grins at the warrior, "It's good to see you fired up again."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

[Memorial Service]

Wenomir takes a deep breath.

"It's... good to feel angry. I don't let myself feel this way too often. It's distracting. But sometimes it's good to use it to burn away... other things." He looks at the memorial site. "I don't know if the Riddle of Steel is real. But if it isn't, I will make it real. I will prove all of them wrong," he says with uncharacteristic intensity.

He then nods towards Marcus when he finishes the speech and raises his voice so he's heard. "Well said, Marcus. Thank you."