New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mallside 9: Waaagh!

[Mall Concourse]

"People with power want to hold on to it," Batu says, shrugging. "That's how it works everywhere. Whether the power is magical, political, martial or something else. And people like me get caught between the gears."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mall Concourse]

"If they can't hold onto their power when other contenders have a fair chance, they oughtn't be allowed to hold it all."
    Cleo was going to go into official versus personal stances, but this is a teachable moment, one that was important to her not so long ago.
    "The way 'How it works everywhere' is something people can change. How we let it work. It may be difficult to organize people, to change many minds at once, but it is not impossible. How big is the tribe that cast you out, and how far? It is in my power to break the gears of that society. One day, maybe already, it will be in your power to do the same."

That might not be the lesson she ought to start with, though.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

[Mall Concourse]

Batu's ears dip in alarm.

"I don't- my tribe is about a thousand people, but what do you mean by 'breaking the gears'? Are you just going to force them to change their ways?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #1024

Default [Mall Concourse]

"I could. But much as taking a monopoly on magic pains me, forcing them to change would be irresponsible at this point. Besides, you left alive, and turned out well enough."
    Cleo shakes her head.
    "The point is, not to accept the way things are just because they're the way things are."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

[Mall Concourse]

"I suppose I already knew that. If I disagreed, I'd have kept my head down and never learned sorcery," Batu admits.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

Azik's Enchantment

A clack of a cane walks down through the halls of mallside. It is unique to any other sound, even those with canes themselves. It pierces the noise. It finally rests in front of this shop for a moment. The man holding the cane smiles.

The man is just under three feet tall, but those last inches are the black top hat he wears. Just bellow the brim of this hat is a face painted in the aspect of a skull, or is it a mask that looks like a skull? One cannot tell, but bellow the man's face lies a purple suit and a gray trench-coat. The pockets of this coat are filled to the brim with nicknacks of different origin. Shrunken heads, bone charms, and amulets of all shapes and sizes. There is of course the cane, of which a clear crystal ball lies atop it.

He walks into the little shop, and clears his throat.

This is a quaint little joint, he says with a bit of an accent you cannot place, It has a nice charm to it.

He looks around, judging the shop's interior.

It's missing something though... yes it is. Right there, in this corner off to the side! he gestures with his cane.

Right there is where the table would go. A circular, runic table. There would be a candle placed in the center, with intricate designs all pointing towards the wax base.

Ah, I forgot to introduce myself, I am Doctor Jones, and I'm interested in a purchase and a job,
    says the short man with a tip of the hat.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-07-27 at 08:55 AM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Default [Mall Concourse]

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "I suppose I already knew that. If I disagreed, I'd have kept my head down and never learned sorcery," Batu admits.
    "Don't you forget it!" Cleo agrees.

It seems they've reached the end of the mall at last. She holds a hand out to Batu, if taken, he'll be whisked away to the order's tower in the Home thread.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

[Mall Concourse]

Batu takes Cleo's hand and is transported away.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Goblin Market

A large wooden sign with hand-painted letters says "GROND OPINING!" in front of the entrance. This is followed by a long list of various goods and services offered, often of dubious value and mostly misspelled. You can buy everything here from a fey pet to a child's laugh to a pocket lightning storm here, or be paid for a bottle of your breath or the memory of your first kiss.

Standing in front of the sign is what can only be described as a disco butterfly. A slight body, insectoid and yet definitely voluptuous, radiates wings made of ever-shifting kalidescope patterns of light. The creature is hovering on these wings, despite them apparently being entirely insubstantial. She is unclothed, but the brown exoskeleton lacks any sort of detail beyond feathery antenna and oversized eyes.

The effect is obviously supposed to be attractive, but the viewer is more likely to find it somewhat disconcerting.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

10. - Top - End - #1030

Default [Goblin Market]

A visitor to the market!
    Anima is a young woman in a witch's hat and a typical school uniform, with blue eyes and white-blond hair worn up in braids. She's perfectly human except for how her lower body is that of a giant wolf (four legs, in addition to hands).
    She appears quite fascinated by the insubstantial kaleidoscope wings as she approaches the market. Not to mention the rest of the disco butterfly.

"Hello. Is there a reason the sign is spelled that way?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

The butterfly buzzes some words out

I am unsure what you are referring to on the spelling. Is it incorrect for this locale of the hypertime?

12. - Top - End - #1032

Default [Goblin Market]

Anima nods, and holding up her hands, causes the words "GRAND OPENING!" to appear between them in letters of solid fire.
    "We also don't say 'hypertime'. Would you guys be interested in buying a local dictionary?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

It's a little hard to tell what the butterfly is thinking. She doesn't seem to actually have a mouth, despite being able to produce words.

May I see this...dictionary?

14. - Top - End - #1034

Default [Goblin Market]

"Uh-huh."
    Anima twists and looks through her backpack to find the dictionary, then hands it over.
    "Pocket Dictionary of Nexus Common" is a small blue book that on closer examination has infinite pages.

The fact that the butterfly lacks a mouth has finally unsettled Anima. How does she (it?) drink nectar, much less talk?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-08-16 at 10:11 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

The butterfly takes the book and flips through it. "This could be useful." With that, she reaches into her wing and pulls out a small piece of blue light and hands it to Anima.

16. - Top - End - #1036

Default [Goblin Market]

Anima reaches out to take the bit of light in her hand.
    "What's this? Or perhaps, how much?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

I believe it is called a willo-the-wisp

18. - Top - End - #1038

Default [Goblin Market]

"Huh. What does it do, where did it come from? I thought Will-o-wisps were from swamps and dark places; I didn't expect to find one here at the mall. But I guess it could be useful."
    Anima tosses the light from one hand to the other, and after listening for a moment, makes her way further into the market. The butterfly was striking to look at, but so strange. Surely there are other better things for sale here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

The butterfly lady does not answer as Anima proceeds on through the pool. The market unfolds before her in a wide outdoor space that seems to exist on an absolutely perfect spring morning. The grass is damp with dew and a slight fog covers the dandelion and clover filled grass.

A motley variety of blankets, booths, shacks, tents, stands, tables, wagons, and pretty much any conceivable setup that goods could be sold out of. The goods are equally varied, from bottles to jewelry and cloths to weapons to books. There are even a variety of exotic creatures for sale, and equally exotic workers hiring themselves out for labor.

A creature who appears to be man-shaped, but covered in scales, calls out to her. Fine companion creatures for sale! Perhaps this one would tickle a lady's fancy? He holds out a figure that is humanoid in shape, but asexual and made of what appears to be pure fire. The figure is small enough to fit comfortably in the man's hand.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Default [Goblin Market]

For a while Anima's eyes catch on the jewelry, that clearly artificial finery. But then a voice interrupts that, and she goes to see the scaled merchant's wares. A little fire-man. She leans down to get a closer look. So small!
    "Where's it from?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

Why, from the land of Torchlight, of course! The little fire creature raises its head and reaches a small finger out to try to touch Anima.

22. - Top - End - #1042

Default [Goblin Market]

Anima reaches out her own finger towards the thing. She can't be burned, after all.
    "What do you think, little one? Want to come with me?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [Goblin Market]

The fire creature makes a sort of high-pitched hissing noise. It's rather cute, but doesn't seem too terribly intelligent.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Default [Goblin Market]

Anima shakes her head. It would be weird to have a pet torchlight when you're part fire-creature yourself. Wouldn't it? Or is it just like humans with pet monkeys, or dog-people with pet dogs? Hmm.
    Still, couldn't hurt to ask.
    "Have you got anything else?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

[Goblin Market]

Another guest comes to the market: a burly brown minotaur in a wide hat. He passes the greeter and walks into the market, inspecting the things around him.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Anima shakes her head. It would be weird to have a pet torchlight when you're part fire-creature yourself. Wouldn't it? Or is it just like humans with pet monkeys, or dog-people with pet dogs? Hmm.
    Still, couldn't hurt to ask.
    "Have you got anything else?"
    Yes, of course. Perhaps you would like to step into my wagon? He motions to a large wagon, which is bedecked with cages, leashes, whistles, saddles, feed bags, and various other accouterments. Various growls and chirps echo from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Goblin Market]

Another guest comes to the market: a burly brown minotaur in a wide hat. He passes the greeter and walks into the market, inspecting the things around him.
    A bee the size of a large dog buzzes up to the minotaur. Why hello there! My name is ZZ'brr'ss, and I'm a connoisseur of this market! I'm here to guide you to all your needs! But first, perhaps a drink? On the house, of course!

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

[Goblin Market]

The bull is entirely unbothered by the strange insect and gives it a polite smile.
    "Sure, I'll take something if it's being given away." he responds, wondering what exactly drinks here taste like.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ettin in the Playground

Goblin Market

On the house, of course! Right this way sir! The bee leads her guest to a giant tent full of buzzing bees and directs the minotaur to a suitable chair for his size and shape, and comes presenting a tray with two large mugs of mead. She settles down on a wide stool and rests her head on her front legs. Now tell me, my good sir, what your name is and what brings you to this market.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin Market

Krayger takes a deep swig of the mead.
    "Krayger. Looking for something to help with my...status. Very rare to see women of my race around. Been lonely for a while. Family helps. But I thought maybe I should look around. Never know who has fortunes or ideas for things." he tells the bee.

30. - Top - End - #1050

Default [Goblin Market]

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Yes, of course. Perhaps you would like to step into my wagon? He motions to a large wagon, which is bedecked with cages, leashes, whistles, saddles, feed bags, and various other accouterments. Various growls and chirps echo from the inside.
    That's not ominous at all!
    "Very well."
    Anima creeps up to the wagon, lingering on the doorstep to take a quick look around at what's inside.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine