New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power Thread #2: The Most Common Super Power

Did Sydney just try to reverse Murphy? I don't think it works that way.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

It's nice to see that, however crazy she's appeared to be through all this, she's still apparently had some common sense that just wasn't getting any screen time. Hopefully we can get back to the high adventure soon enough, and leave behind this world of extreme perversion, debatable sanity, and paperwork.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Doubtful, this is intro day for sydney. Heck, when I joined the military, I spent the first WEEK marching all over the base filling out paperwork, picking up my supplies, getting my hair cut, getting my shots, taking a urine test, learning where everything was, etc. Chances are most of today is going to be fairly basic and uninteresting nonaction stuff like forms and lectures and such. Heck, even running laps was only done because sydney achilles and amorphus were being obnoxious at lunch. We also still need to see sydney attend her pr class that arianna has setup while saying she cant leave till she goes there. That may actually be what is being lead into here from the avengers hook up. "Ok, you can go to the premiere when it happens, but first, this is a class on how to behave."

That said, there is always the potential for an interruption of some sort. Vehemence made the first evil move, bu there are a number of people intending to take up the gauntlet Maxima threw down. So it isnt impossible for there to be another attack that causes action to happen. The real question is, would they call in sydney if it doesnt take place at archon? She is a day 1 recruit, so normally the answer would be hysterical laughter and a no, but she acquitted herself really well last night and has proven to be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Did Sydney just try to reverse Murphy? I don't think it works that way.

Actually it does. There are a number of times when the hero says something like, "What? You expect beautiful women to just fall out of the sky?!" And then BAM! Supergirl smashes into the earth next to them, or whoever. Often followed by the hero saying, "What? You expect a billion dollars to just fall out of the sky?!" Sure then nothing happens, but the first time it does. Sydney was playing off that.
    Last edited by Traab; 2015-08-31 at 10:40 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And now the financial advice arc is over. And Sydney is abusing the heck out of genre savvy. Seriously, that perk should be expensive as hell in any rpg.
    My group actually homebrewed a "Break the fourth wall" perk for Anima Beyond Fantasy... it costs 8 advantage points (you start with 3 and you only get 1 every other level), so yes it is QUITE expensive.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Actually it does. There are a number of times when the hero says something like, "What? You expect beautiful women to just fall out of the sky?!" And then BAM! Supergirl smashes into the earth next to them, or whoever. Often followed by the hero saying, "What? You expect a billion dollars to just fall out of the sky?!" Sure then nothing happens, but the first time it does. Sydney was playing off that.
    Sure, it works sometimes, but usually as a starting point for plot or as part of a joke. It almost never works for personal advantage things like money or cinema tickets. Especially not if you want it to work.
    Sure, had someone said "Sydney, it doesn't work that way." the universe might have decided that proving that person wrong makes the better joke, but if Sydney wants it to work it doesn't.

6. - Top - End - #156

Sure, it works sometimes, but usually as a starting point for plot or as part of a joke. It almost never works for personal advantage things like money or cinema tickets. Especially not if you want it to work.
    Sure, had someone said "Sydney, it doesn't work that way." the universe might have decided that proving that person wrong makes the better joke, but if Sydney wants it to work it doesn't.
    Ah, but this is the setup for her "speaking to the press" training. She is going to be bored as heck trying to stay awake, because the only way she will be allowed to go to the premiere is if she learns all this stuff. Im picturing lots of panels of her nodding off and forcing herself awake in different ways. Either that, or lots of arguing like she did earlier with arianna.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wait, the last panel really happened? I assumed it was Sydney’s imagination.

But we all know what Durkon said about assuming stuff. Maybe I should listen.

8. - Top - End - #158

Wait, the last panel really happened? I assumed it was Sydney’s imagination.

But we all know what Durkon said about assuming stuff. Maybe I should listen.
    I dunno, I take it as real, because she often has people in the background looking worried when she goes through one of these "humorous" episodes. And I dont think dave has ever implied that its all in her head.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I assumed it was Sydney’s imagination.
    This seems to be happening a lot.

Until we have evidence in-comic to suggest that anything taking place is fictitious in-comic, rather than only being fictional in the meta-sense, the base assumption is that everything is actually happening in the canon of the comic. There have been occasions previously when the comic has made the "Imagine Spot" obvious, such as the previous comic: Sydney's eyes are visibly zoning out, and the horse with the castle in the background has many similarities to the person she's talking to; it then cuts to her performing an action in the comic's reality that's similar to her in-comic imagine spot, making it obvious that the penultimate panel (the one with the horse) was an imagine spot.

There is nothing in this comic to suggest that the last panel is anything other than reality, so until such evidence presents itself (such as the next comic beginning with that panel appearing in a thought bubble, or something similar), we can only assume that it is canon.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

And I dont think dave has ever implied that its all in her head.
    By the Nine, if this is all just leading up to another St. Elsewhere style plot, heads will roll. Admittedly, it could be salvaged if only the stuff happening "today" in-comic was one giant in-comic imagine spot, and the in-comic imagine spot was a supervillain capturing all of their minds and puppet'ing them around, Delta-style.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    By the Nine, if this is all just leading up to another St. Elsewhere style plot, heads will roll. Admittedly, it could be salvaged if only the stuff happening "today" in-comic was one giant in-comic imagine spot, and the in-comic imagine spot was a supervillain capturing all of their minds and puppet'ing them around, Delta-style.
    I dont think thats likely, at worst its a Scrubs style fantasy taking place during actual events. She drifts off on a mental tangent where she does odd stuff like proclaim herself the queen of salt, then snaps back to the present. On the one hand, I dont think that is whats happening. On the other, that would really save the day in my mind, to explain why her first day isnt her last due to her complete and utter insanity.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, her a.... hair.

However we do have conformation that the Flight Sphere DOES alter local gravity which is what allows her to fly.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yeah, her a.... hair.

However we do have conformation that the Flight Sphere DOES alter local gravity which is what allows her to fly.
    Does it alter gravity?

After checking the archive it looks like it does.

Well, today we learned that Archon already thought of everything regarding merchandise-rights (poor Sydney, no making more money) and some details about Maxima's power that I at least didn't need to know.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Does it alter gravity?

After checking the archive it looks like it does.

Well, today we learned that Archon already thought of everything regarding merchandise-rights (poor Sydney, no making more money) and some details about Maxima's power that I at least didn't need to know.
    I don't think Sydney will be ill served, merchandise-wise. Arianna may well be utterly ruthless, but she said quite early that she will be representing Sydney's interests as well as Archon. I doubt the first thing she did was cheat Sydney, especially given the paycheck and ready access to a financial adviser. I also expect Arianna to be skilled enough at her job that her influence on marketing will result in far more profit for Sydney than if she got to keep all the profits herself while also contributing nicely to Archon's funding.

Put simply, Arianna is a professional. She set up Halo with fair market value payment (for an extremely exclusive skillset) before Sydney even stopped to ask if she was going to get paid at all. Sydney was still thinking "civic duty" and "sanctioned use of powers" signed that contract, no expectation of any payment. She wants Halo (and all of ArcSWAT) happy to be there, and she's going to make sure they're well taken care of: well paid, well represented in the public, and well represented in the courts.

Edit: Of course, I also expect Arianna will also listen to at least a few of Sydney's marketing schemes and may use them if they're either bold enough or brilliant enough. Sydney's insane, but she's shown herself to be quite clever as well.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-09-03 at 10:32 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

At the very least I'm expecting Sydney to ask for some exclusive merchandise for her store.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    At the very least I'm expecting Sydney to ask for some exclusive merchandise for her store.
    At the very least I could see her getting to premier the new merchandise before other locations get it. "Come one come all! Get your limited edition signed archon collectibles! Once they go on sale elsewhere, there will be no more signatures!"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

I didn't notice it myself until it was pointed out in the comic comments. Aurelius' outfit is different shades of purple with gold accents. Now what could have possibly enamored him on that color scheme?

18. - Top - End - #168

New comic up. And max is both teaching her a lot of technical crap about her pip device, and enjoying sydneys terror just a little too much to be healthy. I put it in the comment section but I will put it here too. Would sydney be able to use an enlarged shield and super speed flight as a weapon against enemy coptors and jets and such? Just buzz right by them at high speeds and create massive turbulence and such? It seems to be a problem for commercial airlines even with her regular shield since max had to warn her about it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Max is fast enough that she could safely catch Sydney if it turned out she was too terrified to call the flight orb to her hand at a safe enough altitude.

Syndey was never in any actual danger.

Also: I would assume that, yes, Sydney can probably buzz planes to destabilize them at least a little. Whether it would be an effective combat tactic against planes smaller than an airliner has yet to be seen, though (and I doubt Sydney would ever need to fight an airliner).
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

New comic up. And Max is both teaching her a lot of technical crap about her pip device, and enjoying Sydney's terror just a little too much to be healthy. I put it in the comment section but I will put it here too. Would Sydney be able to use an enlarged shield and super speed flight as a weapon against enemy copters and jets and such? Just buzz right by them at high speeds and create massive turbulence and such? It seems to be a problem for commercial airlines even with her regular shield since Max had to warn her about it.
    Why weaponize the turbulence against aircraft when she can just slam straight into them with her shield? After all, even Max's nuclear-explosion-thingy wasn't able to break through it, so a relatively flimsy airplane or helicopter should be no trouble at all.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Heck Sydney doesn't even have to ram into a flying aircraft. All she needs to do is get in front of it while it's flying. (crunch)
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #172

You guys are assuming there would be no transfer of energy causing sydney to splat against the inside of her own shield. I dont know if being bullet proof resistant, means she can slam herself bodily into solid objects and expect to go through them like they dont even exist. Put her in the bomb suit again, then have her ram things at gradually increasing speeds to confirm or deny this potential application please. If there is even a ten percent reduction in speed, that means if she slams into a plane going 400 mph, she will hit the wall of her shield going 40. Crunch.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

You guys are assuming there would be no transfer of energy causing sydney to splat against the inside of her own shield. I dont know if being bullet proof resistant, means she can slam herself bodily into solid objects and expect to go through them like they dont even exist. Put her in the bomb suit again, then have her ram things at gradually increasing speeds to confirm or deny this potential application please. If there is even a ten percent reduction in speed, that means if she slams into a plane going 400 mph, she will hit the wall of her shield going 40. Crunch.
    Even if that turns out to be true, which in this comic I doubt, she can match speeds, get in front, then slow down to a hover. If it doesn't smash (I think breaking is actually probable), anything less than a helicopter will stall.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, when Max was punching her shield hard enough to break glass and shake the building with the shockwave from the impact, Sydney wasn't punched through the floor or even across the room, so there's gotta be some kind of force-absorption involved.
    For force to transfer from an object to the shield, the shield would have to have mass, or at least an 'effective mass' of some sort. So far, it seems to work off the same weird physics-defying forces as her orbs.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground

There will be no significant transfer of energy. We already know this.

Physics-wise, "moving" and "stationary" are null words. Motion is only ever relative to other things, and you can always decide that any arbitrary thing is stationary and it's everything else that's moving.

This means that there is NO difference between something hitting Sydney's shield, and Sydney's shield hitting something. It's just the choice of reference frames, what thing you have decided to pretend is stationary when you look at the motions of other objects relative to it. By the same token, there is NO difference between Sydney's shield not moving when something hits it, and Sydney's shield not stopping when it hits something. Again, just the choice of reference frames.

Therefore, the fact that Sydney's shield didn't bounce around like a pinball and splatter Sydney all over the interior when Max punched it means that it will not stop or bounce off if Sydney were to ram Max (or an airplane, or the ground, or a billboard which she has done in the comic, or whatever) with it, and the fact that it did not transfer the energy of the punch to Sydney means that it will not transfer the energy of the ram to Sydney.

And we've seen the force Max can apply shatter pavement, grind concrete to dust, and send a 65-ton tank flying off into the distance. And we've seen Sydney's shield just casually shrug it off, with no more transfer to Sydney than, "Well, I could tell you were hitting it." This force is not in any way different than the force of the shield hitting something.

I had pretty much this same discussion with someone in the comments of Monday's page. One of the very first things we learned about the orbs, before we even saw them, is that they can resist large amounts of force without transferring that force to Sydney. Why do people insist on ignoring this to make Sydney's shield useless?
    Play your character, not your alignment.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Considering that they're clearly at least partially mentally activated, it's possible that the shield is related in some way to intent or perception. That is, the shield is a shield, and shields block things but they aren't weapons. It clearly doesn't follow conventional physics entirely - the question comes down to whether what it uses defines it as "a perfect defense" or as "an unbreakable sphere which does not move relative to (whatever)" or something else entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #177
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Is everyone forgetting the billboard Sydney "improved" on her way home last night, or dismissing it as too fragile to be a meaningful test?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Is everyone forgetting the billboard Sydney "improved" on her way home last night, or dismissing it as too fragile to be a meaningful test?
    Billboards arent THAT fragile. And yeah I forgot about that one.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Great. Now I'm imagining Sydney attacking destroying planes and wonder in with context it might come up.
    I only know that, should it happen, her battlecry will be „Ramming Speed”. And someone might point out that the Pew Pew Orb would have worked just as well.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

But to use the PPO, she either has to take her hand off the flight orb or the shield orb - so flying into things with her shield up is probably a better idea when she's in aerial combat.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."