New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power Thread #2: The Most Common Super Power

New comic.

Flying is awesome.

If I could choose a power flight or teleportation would be my first choice. Well, if I'm the only one who gets a superpower. If there are other supers I would take powercopying.

Aunt Edith says: The version that let's me keep the copied powers of course.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-09-21 at 06:15 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Meh, most powers are either a pita or a quick trip to the dark side. Flying would be neat and all, but there are so many laws and such restricting who can fly where and when that you would probably spend half your life trying to sort things out with the FAA. "Sir, you went over 400 feet in the air yesterday which is a violation of statute 101639a-b12. That will be a fine, and as this is the third time it has happened, there may be jail time involved"

As for the comic, I love the protege/friend dynamic thats forming here. Sydney really is maxima lite and I think max likes having someone that at least has the potential to be close to her level one day. the loneliness must suck. It helps that she has most of the maxima power bases covered in one form or another. A virtually unbreakable shield for durability, mach 4 travel speed, she has the lighthook for super strength, and of course, destructo beams of ranged death. Plus sydney is just difficult to avoid liking. yeah she can tick you off easy as heck, but she is just so darn friendly and chipper and amusing to be around most of the time.

Speaking of the lighthook, have you guys looked at its skill tree section? Oh man, literally none of the skill tree segments are more than half full. So that means its entirely possible her light hook may one day be boosted into maxima level of power, depending on which one makes it stronger. She may get into mid super strength level if its the halfway one, but even then, it will get a LOT more effective. There are a number of abilities they could represent. Extension length, maneuverability, lifting power, possibly even speed it can travel at. Im also wondering if perhaps the orphan node nearest the ppo could grant it an offensive power. Like, a taser effect she can trigger at will. Wrap you up, then zap you down. Geez, every time I try to comment on sydney lately I get distracted by power ideas.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Teleportation + hang glider (or maybe a wing suit). Not real flight but teleportation would allow me to regain height so I could fly for a long time. And teleportation allows for quick getaways and doing such things far away from your home.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Moving through things (plus the walking-speed flight that requires as a secondary, I suppose, to stay above the floor). Not sure why, I just like the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #245
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    If I could choose a power flight or teleportation would be my first choice. Well, if I'm the only one who gets a superpower. If there are other supers I would take powercopying.
    I'd go with Harem's power, mainly for the multiple bodies. Teleportation is nice, but that degree of multitasking is better.

That's assuming choices like "make up my own power" and "omnipotence" are not available, of course.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Heh, as I said in that thread, I'd want to be able to perceive the past at any location I'm at, in such a way that what I was perceiving could be recorded.

I wouldn't survive a week, given the people that would want me very, very dead very, very quickly.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

7. - Top - End - #247

Devil

New comic, extra-large splash page.

.... what?

It's extra large, and look at panel 5. That's a splash page.

I SAID IT'S A SPLASH PAGE!

Answered my question about Sydney getting away from Ariana.

If I could have any power, it would be precognition with choice. Like, here's what happens if I do A, here's what happens if I do B, here's what happens if I do C, etc.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    If I could have any power, it would be precognition with choice. Like, here's what happens if I do A, here's what happens if I do B, here's what happens if I do C, etc.
    That lets you determine things like: The universe in which you live the longest is the one in which you do not throw grenades at Skitter.

I think I'd just go with telekinesis. With sufficient tk power and control, you can emulate a pretty wide array of powers.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    That lets you determine things like: The universe in which you live the longest is the one in which you do not throw grenades at Skitter.
    To be fair, Coil's power was considerably more limited in several ways than what Reltzik described, she didn't give him much choice, and he gave it a damn good shot. Of all the people she faced, Coil is one of the select few who took her very seriously indeed right from the start. I can't really blame him for failing to guess that "controls bugs" would turn out to be one of the ultimate supreme powers.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's possibly a sign of age (or good sense) when you say that all the other powers can go hang, you'll take Achilles' unaging invulnerability, thanks muchly.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I would take instantanous creation of objects, and use that to create a moon base, and eventually terraform Mars after I figure how to do so without killing myself. Or create a space elevator. Or both!
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #252

I would like the power of Cypher from Marvel Comics. His power was the ability to understand any language, including computer programming. I like it because its a fairly low key power unless I choose to make it a big deal, and being able to communicate with anyone speaking any language would be awesome as heck. It has a lot of great potential for making a good living too.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes that would be a cool ability but for it to function properly it would need to include Empathy after all there are so many forms of communication that you would not only need to communicate on a physical and mental level that the emotional aspect might prove extremely vital if you want to insure that insect-like alien doesn't assume you asked them to consume you as that's how they pass on information to lots of their people...

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

After 24 hours puking my guts out just the perfect body and health every super in the comic gets for free seems like a great deal.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    After 24 hours puking my guts out just the perfect body and health every super in the comic gets for free seems like a great deal.
    Ahh but even superheroes get sick, then you have to worry about issues like
    Spoiler: this
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    To be fair, Coil's power was considerably more limited in several ways than what Reltzik described, she didn't give him much choice, and he gave it a damn good shot. Of all the people she faced, Coil is one of the select few who took her very seriously indeed right from the start. I can't really blame him for failing to guess that "controls bugs" would turn out to be one of the ultimate supreme powers.
    Coil using his power to get unlimited predictions from Dinah - which he did a few times - pretty closely approximates it. It's not infallible - Coil got screwed a couple of times by not realizing that getting the answer could change the answer - but it's pretty good. Coil just made the mistake of picking a fight with Skitter. And to be fair, that was early enough in her career that he didn't have the, "Seriously, Skitter [SPOILERS DELETED], and you're still going, 'Meh, I could take her'? You really think you can do better than [SPOILER], [SPOILER], or [SPOILER]??" that later opponents had the benefit of.

I'd actually considered my DCA PC's powerset, which includes immunity to age, disease, poison, starvation, thirst, suffocation, and any kind of light effect (which I actually ate), including gamma radiation, plus regeneration, enough enhanced toughness to shrug off rifle bullets, flight (at interplanetary travel levels), powerful and fine control over light, and the ability to create and manipulate solid light constructs, but I wasn't sure it qualified as a single power, though it all comes ultimately from the same source. It's also pretty heavy on the comic-book physics, if the phrase "solid light" hadn't tipped you off to that already.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Instinctive, localized dynakinesis. If I get a secondary power, I'd pair it with an internal, infinite capacity, infinite amperage energy battery. But if I only got one, definitely the first.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Maxima's ringtone is great. It fits Sydney very well.

The annoying guy is there again? I hope he survives.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New comic.

Maxima's ringtone is great. It fits Sydney very well.

The annoying guy is there again? I hope he survives.
    Oh that song fits so well. Here is the song for those who don't know what it is. https://youtu.be/3iDl2zwF8TM

Really though, I think Sydney is good for Maxima to have around in some respects. It gets her to enjoy life a little more.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #260

Devil

Obviously Maxima WANTED Sydney to hear that. Otherwise she could have super-speed answered it before two words got out and Sydney was able to recognize the song. Sydney announced she'd misdialed so she wasn't surprised. I guess that awkward expression is her rethinking whether that was a good idea after the fact.
    Last edited by Reltzik; 2015-09-24 at 12:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

I didn't expect Brad to stay unharmed this long. On a more positive note "Event Horizon Comics" is doing well at the moment.

22. - Top - End - #262

New comic.

I didn't expect Brad to stay unharmed this long. On a more positive note "Event Horizon Comics" is doing well at the moment.
    I guess you could say that the store's profits are no longer below the event horizon.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I didn't expect Brad to stay unharmed this long.
    We don't actually know what he was about to say, of course. At this point, Max has no actual grounds for complaint against him. And as somebody pointed out elsewhere, he's actually been keeping his eyes at eye level, which is a mark in his favour, considering.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

"...nice specular highlights."

25. - Top - End - #265

nice cheekbones.

On a more serious note, there is something I always wanted to ask superheroes like max or ben grimm. Do they have to work out at all to maintain their physiques? As a related question, does working out actually do anything for them? Like, could the Thing increase his strength further by constantly working on his bench pressing skills? Could Max increase her speed and endurance by running on a specialty treadmill?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ben Grimm (The Thing from the FF) does work out. In earlier issues Reed Richards would actually have to invent machines and the like for him to work out on.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Ben Grimm (The Thing from the FF) does work out. In earlier issues Reed Richards would actually have to invent machines and the like for him to work out on.
    Question is if he needs to, or if it's just for the pleasure of working out.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Question is if he needs to, or if it's just for the pleasure of working out.
    Also is the reverse true? If he stopped working out, spent 6 months playing couch potato, would he lose strength? Would he fall back to a base level of strength and no weaker? Continue to weaken the longer he did nothing?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

"... coworkers."

30. - Top - End - #270

New update. Heh. Personally, I dont think its really the same, but then, im a guy, so maybe women find battle damaged shirtless guys with obviously busted ribs and black eyes sexy? Also, noone who knows harem should be surprised by this. Especially considering what she did yesterday to virtually the entire male lineup of supers.