New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Exotic Elementals

I've been watching this, http://video.pbs.org/program/uranium...-dragons-tail/

And it struck me. Firstly, if Redcloak made a Uranium elemental, it wouldn't be 235, because that's REALLY rare, but rather 238.

Also, it would shoot energy from itself, but each it does it, it turns into another elemental. And some of those elementals would be gasseus. It would have 26 shots until it became a significantly smaller and stable lead elemental.

Details here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uraniu...nium_series.29

You'll notice that there are several radioactive isotopes of lead in this series.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Exotic Elementals

... and/or it could sacrifice a certain number of HP to create a (weak) elemental generated randomly from the fission-products distribution.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

uranium decay in over 4 billion years, so the rate of transformation into other elements is negligible. You may want to try other, less stable elements.
    i'm not sure what the chosen isotope of plutonium would be, since it does not exist in nature (well, except one isotope of which there are a handful of atoms left from the earth formation, but three atoms per cubic meters is not much to say it exist in nature), but it is possible that a plutonium elemental would undergo spontaneous fission instantly after summoning.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    uranium decay in over 4 billion years, so the rate of transformation into other elements is negligible. You may want to try other, less stable elements.
    i'm not sure what the chosen isotope of plutonium would be, since it does not exist in nature (well, except one isotope of which there are a handful of atoms left from the earth formation, but three atoms per cubic meters is not much to say it exist in nature), but it is possible that a plutonium elemental would undergo spontaneous fission instantly after summoning.
    That might be an interesting spell. Using a summon spell to make a bomb? I see abuse potential.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Assuming the Plutonium Elemental is anywhere near the size of the other elementals Redcloak's summoned so far, I'd strongly advise being in a different kingdom when that thing pops into existence.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Assuming the Plutonium Elemental is anywhere near the size of the other elementals Redcloak's summoned so far, I'd strongly advise being in a different kingdom when that thing pops into existence.
    A Small Plutonium Elemental would be a city-killer.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That might be an interesting spell. Using a summon spell to make a bomb? I see abuse potential.
    It'd probably be an epic spell, so hopefully the potential for abuse could be constrained by a high DC.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by F.Harr View Post
    And it struck me. Firstly, if Redcloak made a Uranium elemental, it wouldn't be 235, because that's REALLY rare, but rather 238.
    Since he can make elementals from particular elements, can't see any reason why he couldn't make a U-235 one as well. It would have the same issue as the plutonium elemental mentioned above, of course...

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Since he can make elementals from particular elements, can't see any reason why he couldn't make a U-235 one as well.
    Wouldn't that be an isotopal, not an elemental?
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

10. - Top - End - #10

Since some people creates Reactionals, I assume it can be done :D

I remember discussions about Redcloak's chemical grades. Some people were assuming he barely passed.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Wouldn't that be an isotopal, not an elemental?
    It would be both, naturally!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It would be both, naturally!
    No no. It'd be both, artificially! :smuggrin:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

I see these variant elemental summonings as fluff for Summons with metamagic and augment summoning applied descriptively. (perhaps some feat or variant that's 'homebrew') At any rate, I would imagine that whatever the mechanics, summoning a Titanium Elemental takes a higher level slot than summoning a normal 'Earth' Elemental.

Summoning a Plutonium Elemental would take a higher slot still.
    Last edited by Aasimar; 2015-08-03 at 09:33 AM.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aasimar View Post
    I see these variant elemental summonings as fluff for Summons with metamagic and augment summoning applied descriptively. (perhaps some feat or variant that's 'homebrew') At any rate, I would imagine that whatever the mechanics, summoning a Titanium Elemental takes a higher level slot than summoning a normal 'Earth' Elemental.

I think you are reading it too mechanically, it's "rule of funny." Red Cloak isn't using metamagic or augmented summons, he just is using actual chemistry to summon "elementals" with the "properties" (as a poet would think of them) of the chemical element.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Aasimar View Post

I always thought they were balanced somehow.

Redcloak mentions that the Titanium Elementals are lighter than the Earth Elemental. That's useful for throwing them, that would be useful for fighting on not-very-solid ground, but not in many other cases.
    If Redcloak had to summon lower elementals (while using the same spell slots) in order to throw them that far, he could as well summon lower Earth Elementals (weight decreases/increases quickly with their size) or fire catapults from closer (would be exposing them though, but he's going to do it anyway).

The Chlorine Elemental did not insta-kill Tsukiko, so it's poison damage must have a limit (like a lot of damages in D&D world, non-magical fire for instance do not obey to our logic), probably depending of it's type (size category).

The Silicium Elemental could probably be compared to a Water Elemental fighting on a shore. He's not using tricks like hiding in sand though. It seemed like a very serious threat, but it wasn't possible to tell if any attack was working on it (no scratch) while they were. It probably had DR but was fought only with physical damages and Roy couldn't even fight with his sword the whole time (with DR, one big hit is way more effective than multiple small hits).

In D&D, a Plutonium Elemental would probably not have the same properties that an huge amount of Plutonium in open space in our real world. That would be broken.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

He could summon a Surprise Elemental... No one would see that coming.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

No one expects the Inquisition Elemental.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    No one expects the Inquisition Elemental.
    : My chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise. My two chief weapons are fear, surprise, and...

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    : My chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise. My two chief weapons are fear, surprise, and...
    A nice red cloak?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    A Small Plutonium Elemental would be a city-killer.
    Fat Man contained about 14lb (6kg) of Plutonium, and the weights given for small creatures are 8-60lb, so yeah even your average Small Plutomium elemental would be extremely devastating. I hate to think what what happen if an 8 ton Huge plutonium elemental was summoned.

On another note, the elemental plane of Plutonium must be an interesting place, indeed.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Fat Man contained about 14lb (6kg) of Plutonium, and the weights given for small creatures are 8-60lb, so yeah even your average Small Plutomium elemental would be extremely devastating. I hate to think what what happen if an 8 ton Huge plutonium elemental was summoned.

On another note, the elemental plane of Plutonium must be an interesting place, indeed.
    Thog liked plutoniun place. Thog in touch with inner greeness and outer greenes all over the place. Hulk guy very friendly, too.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

I hate to think what what happen if an 8 ton Huge plutonium elemental was summoned.
    In terms of immediate damage, probably not much worse than the small one, to be honest--the explosion would disperse most of the plutonium before it had a chance to participate in the energy release. Of course, you then have 8 tons of highly radioactive plutonium scattered across a wide area, which wouldn't be pleasant.

23. - Top - End - #23

Maybe U/Pu elementals could be accompanied by some Boron elementals... Or perhaps there's a divine restriction, and Transuranic elementals cannot be summoned where there is life.

A Magnesium elemental might be interesting - good armour class and hit points, low damage per hit, but you really don't want to hit it with a fireball.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

In terms of immediate damage, probably not much worse than the small one, to be honest--the explosion would disperse most of the plutonium before it had a chance to participate in the energy release. Of course, you then have 8 tons of highly radioactive plutonium scattered across a wide area, which wouldn't be pleasant.
    Since you're obviously more knowledgeable about this than I am, is this the reason why they say only 10% or so of the plutonium in the bomb ended up undergoing fission?

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It's so cool that people are taking this seriously.

Firstly, U235 and U238 are both uranium and chemically exactly the same. One is just a teeny tiny bit heavier than the other. So specifying which isoltope you want, you'd have to use enough magic to simulate a centrafuge and the people to run it.

Also, I understand that there are such things as half-lives. But I doubt people would be willing to wait for billions of six-second combat rounds. So I figure that the elemental can get it all over with at once causing a goodly amount of heat damage per transmutation. But some of the heat would be used to power the magic that would make it possible. Then there's poison effects.

But that's just me. Anything that sounds cool's O.K.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I imagine the Elemental Plane of Uranium, being infinite and all, has enough of all the isotopes to go around.

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGirl

How about summoning a Hydrogen Elemental, and then casting Implosion on it?

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Since you're obviously more knowledgeable about this than I am, is this the reason why they say only 10% or so of the plutonium in the bomb ended up undergoing fission?
    Pretty sure that's the case, yes. It's also why the largest fission bombs ever created never got into the megaton yield range--you have to include a fusion stage to get to those levels. In point of fact, I'm pretty sure that if you just put a pile of plutonium greater than the critical mass on the ground, you'd get a "fizzle" (e.g. a nuclear explosion where the chain reaction didn't run to completion) because the heat and pressures of the reaction would blow the mass apart before it properly got going; all real-world nuclear devices have used conventional explosives in either a gun or implosion setup in order to force the critical mass to hold together long enough for the chain reaction to really get going.
    Last edited by factotum; 2015-08-05 at 03:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    How about summoning a Hydrogen Elemental, and then casting Implosion on it?
    It would kill the person casting implosion, but on a theoretical level I love it.

I'm not sure what that says about me.

30. - Top - End - #30

DwarfBarbarianGuy

At the risk of resurrecting a better-dead thread,

U235 has the weird property of not wanting to exist (actinium is worse in this regard). A U235 only elemental would quickly try to become two elementals of about half the size of the previous one trying to occupy the same space at the same time. Not even safe for the person who created it.