New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Bunkers and Badasses: What system would you use for a Borderlands RPG?

I've been wondering about this for a while. I'm not sure. I'd like a system with clearer advancement than Fate and M&M, but I'm not sure what's best to go with? Star Wars, Saga? One of the W40k RPGs? Pathfinder with the Tech GUide? Regardless, any thoughts, please share. I like the idea of playing Borderlands in RPG form, just not sure of where I should go for it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Bunkers and Badasses: What system would you use for a Borderlands RPG?

Considering the Quasi-simplicity (splat not included) of 4E and its combat focus? I'd say it's on the table. Not a shoe-in by any means, of course.

EDIT: It has to be something accommodating the "anyone can spare the dying with +50% HP on another PC" mechanic in the video games. Homebrew perhaps, either way, it needs to be in there or it breaks the Borderlandsiness.
    Last edited by Thisguy_; 2015-08-02 at 09:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Bunkers and Badasses: What system would you use for a Borderlands RPG?

I actually have OGL content for 4E that includes guns and gun using classes, vehicles... it could absolutely work, and I do love the system. My problem with it is primarily its more niche nature, most 4E games naturally go for the traditional D&D playing stuff. This is a leap. And since my failed 'Star Wars/Ace Attorney' game, I'm a little reluctant to leap too far from what people expect from a system. ;)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

To me it's not really Borderlands without a gazillion guns to loot and I don't know of a tabletop RPG that does anything remotely like that.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Yeah, that's a problem. Ultimately, I'd settle for versatility. Lots of possible guns to find, even if the players choose to settle on one or two of their own. I'd say the Pathfinder Tech Guide/Amythest for 4E do a pretty decent job of that, though if anyone's got a better idea, I'm happy to hear it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

How would you feel about Savage Worlds? While surely not my favorite system, a Deadlands homebrew setting variant I played with it seems like it'd be a good fit. The gamemaster had a point buy system for making steampunk contraptions using the magic rules and since it was a combat heavy game we did all have guns with it (since the cost of the magic effects was included alongside the cost for things like damage and rate of fire, and all supernatural effects were handled through contraptions that could blow up, it worked out pretty well, and it was fast paced chaos.

I don't remember the specifics of what all there was (I remember something about a gun that fired slugs of laughing gas straight from the Joker's most inspiring and terrifying appearances, but it did other stuff and I don't remember once), but my character's gear stuck in my mind. He had a gun with two settings: The first would fire rockets that on impact covered people in Phlogiston (look it up) immobilizing them harmlessly... Well, until the second mode was triggered. Heat Ray. There were many large explosions that day, and the day after... Seems like a good borderlands weapon, and despite that being the first of only 3 experiences with savage worlds I've had, I was able to look over the books and the homebrew PDF he sent us and design my own gun which, if not balanced, was balanced against the weapons of my fellow PCs, and looking back it seems like pure borderlands...

Savage World's Deadlands book is where I'd start, I know he lifted a lot from the mad genius archetype mechanics... if I dig up the homebrew PDF, I'll pass it on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Schlock Mercenary RPG coming out soon could conceivably work pretty well for this, particularly if you choose to focus on the setting elements that aren't the ludicrously powerful and survivable protagonists. It looks like it will handle a wide variety of guns well, it has some mechanics that work to convey a similar sense of humor to some of the humor in the games, and there's the high character mortality that matches up nicely to life in the borderlands for most people.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    How would you feel about Savage Worlds? While surely not my favorite system, a Deadlands homebrew setting variant I played with it seems like it'd be a good fit. The gamemaster had a point buy system for making steampunk contraptions using the magic rules and since it was a combat heavy game we did all have guns with it (since the cost of the magic effects was included alongside the cost for things like damage and rate of fire, and all supernatural effects were handled through contraptions that could blow up, it worked out pretty well, and it was fast paced chaos.

I don't remember the specifics of what all there was (I remember something about a gun that fired slugs of laughing gas straight from the Joker's most inspiring and terrifying appearances, but it did other stuff and I don't remember once), but my character's gear stuck in my mind. He had a gun with two settings: The first would fire rockets that on impact covered people in Phlogiston (look it up) immobilizing them harmlessly... Well, until the second mode was triggered. Heat Ray. There were many large explosions that day, and the day after... Seems like a good borderlands weapon, and despite that being the first of only 3 experiences with savage worlds I've had, I was able to look over the books and the homebrew PDF he sent us and design my own gun which, if not balanced, was balanced against the weapons of my fellow PCs, and looking back it seems like pure borderlands...

Savage World's Deadlands book is where I'd start, I know he lifted a lot from the mad genius archetype mechanics... if I dig up the homebrew PDF, I'll pass it on.
    Hrm.... interesting! I'm a little leery of homebrew, but your past good experience makes it a temptation. Thanks for letting me know, and I'll check it out when I can. And thank you kindly for the offer of that homebrew PDF

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Ooooh... hadn't heard about this one. Investigating now. It seems well done at a glance, thanks for bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The Schlock Mercenary RPG coming out soon could conceivably work pretty well for this, particularly if you choose to focus on the setting elements that aren't the ludicrously powerful and survivable protagonists. It looks like it will handle a wide variety of guns well, it has some mechanics that work to convey a similar sense of humor to some of the humor in the games, and there's the high character mortality that matches up nicely to life in the borderlands for most people.
    The guns and humor are temptations, but I'm not sure I'd like to run with Borderlands level of death for PCs. Still, thanks for bringing it up and I will add it to the list.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't this the sort of setting apocalypse world was designed to run?

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    No, Apocalypse World is designed to run small community based games where violence is messy and death is permanent. Regenerating health fps with a million guns, while maybe aesthetically similar, is a bad fit for the game.

What I would recommend is Strike! It's something of a 4e retroclone, with a robust out of combat similar to Apocalypse World or Burning Wheel. It's very simple, every roll is a 1d6, and it's setting neutral. For when the guns come out, it has an amazing tactical combat system that feels like the best of 4th edition, but never take more than half an hour. It is also based a lot more on ranged combat than regular 4e, it has cover rules based on X-Com that make ranged firefights very fun and tactical.

The only drawbacks are a) it's item lights since it's setting neutral, so you'll have to come up with good gun rules. This really shouldn't be hard. b) It's not actually out yet, but you can preorder it to get the final rules text right now, and a fancy copy with proper art and formatting as soon as its out.

12. - Top - End - #12

I've generally figured that Dungeons: the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition is about as perfect a thematic fit as you can get. All the nutty powers that you'd expect from Vault Hunters, and the second book has weapon creation rules, with convenient charts that you could totally roll on if you wanted to have random loot crates.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    Setting, sorta. If you want to emulate the game play, not really.

That's why I also pointed out No Rest for the Wicked, which is an AW hack to play Borderlands.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Rifts does the "guns guns guns guns guns" aspect pretty well, but the only way to really emulate PC death in that is to reduce the amount and availability of armor... which fits well with Borderlands, in fact. You can also set it up so everyone has their one power that they can do pretty easily.

So, you might look at Rifts... or a stripped down version of it. Coincidentally, there's a Savage Worlds version of Rifts due out at the end of the year.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Shadowrun would fit perfect.
    Pretty much anything from the games can be rebuild with Shadowrun rules.
    Cut out the meta humans, full spell casters and maybe restrict the hacking and you are set.
    If you like the gun theme then Shadowrun has already many rules for different ammo, rof, recoil, granades, tracers, assisted targeting, full auto, burst fire, spray and pray, airbust.... Easy to modify these to differentiate even more between guns.
    It is a high crunch game like DnD.

Borderlands is pretty much cyberpunk in the desert/outback so other cyberpuck rule sets would fit aswell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I always thought Exalted's style of character customization would be good for B&B; start with a general "archetype" of Vault Hunter to determine what sort of "action skill" and set of initial specialties you get, then as you level up just buy new upgrades and abilities from a list/tree not unlike that of the Charms.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm running a bunkers and badasses game in pathfinder right now, although I have a lot of home brew weapons, classes, monsters, etc. But it's pretty fun so far, we started at lvl 1 and we're currently lvl 16

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by jok View Post
    Shadowrun would fit perfect.
    Pretty much anything from the games can be rebuild with Shadowrun rules.
    Cut out the meta humans, full spell casters and maybe restrict the hacking and you are set.
    If you like the gun theme then Shadowrun has already many rules for different ammo, rof, recoil, granades, tracers, assisted targeting, full auto, burst fire, spray and pray, airbust.... Easy to modify these to differentiate even more between guns.
    It is a high crunch game like DnD.

Borderlands is pretty much cyberpunk in the desert/outback so other cyberpuck rule sets would fit aswell.

Shadowrun is perhaps the least perfect way to emulate Borderlands! It's an overwrought, incredibly clunky system that's maintained almost exclusively because of the cool setting, not because it works really well as a game. It also, when it actually does work, is a fairly gritty system where a player can be instantly mowed down by a full-auto burst if they're not in cover.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

The headcases over at Wrecking Ball Game Labs have come up with an original system specifically for simulating Borderlands, available as a free pdf on their site. It's called No Rest for the Wicked, and here's a link to it.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Holy junk, I have to show this to my game group...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thisguy_ View Post
    Holy junk, I have to show this to my game group...
    I literally posted that to this thread two months ago

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I literally posted that to this thread two months ago
    Whoop, my bad. I assumed no one knew about that game...
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Dorian Soth.

Optional rules I'm working on (please contact me if you have ideas for developing them!):
    Generic Prestige Classes; Summon Monster Variant; Advanced Dodges and Dex Bonuses; Incantations to Raise the Dead