New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dead horses: stuff that's been debated all across the playground

In what is probably just begging for horrendous thread-derailing, I thought it would be a nice idea to dedicate a thread to the dead horses of topics. The kind of things that come up over and over again, get debated for page upon page, and more often then not everyone just kinda walks away disgruntled. Stuff that even makes the toughest rule-lawyers consider taking a live-and-let-live approach to rule-reading.

I'm thinking of a nice simple format of: "This be my favorite dead horse, and I'mma tell you why."

To start off, my favorite dead horse is the Dragonwrought Kobold. There are lots of things to like about that dead horse (e.g. deli-loads of cheese), but the reasons it's my favorite is how incredibly hair/scale-splitting talks about it can get. It is the only dead horse I know where the exact release dates, table-compositions, wordings and so on and so forth of all the relevant materials are argued about in such interconnected detail, all to answer the simple question as to whether is counts as a True Dragon or not.
    Last edited by Jowgen; 2015-08-02 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dead horses: stuff that's been debated all across the playground

Monk debates. Monk debates suck to the point we need one thread to be stickied to be looked at prior to posting a thread on how monks totally don't suck guys, look at all those attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Bloodlines. The rules are written with contradictions and confusion, there are popular interpretations based in pure speculation and houserules, and there's really nothing that can ever make the debate conclusive one way or another. Its not as thread devouring as some other arguments, but its basically impossible to lock down a 'correct' answer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm gonna go with Tumble vs Thicket of Blades, simply because it's the one that I often come across in actual games, where each DM had their different calls and RAW support for calling so.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Alignment.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    In what is probably just begging for horrendous thread-derailing, I thought it would be a nice idea to dedicate a thread to the dead horses of topics. The kind of things that come up over and over again, get debated for page upon page, and more often then not everyone just kinda walks away disgruntled. Stuff that even makes the toughest rule-lawyers consider taking a live-and-let-live approach to rule-reading.
    "My edition is better than your edition!"

"My friend doesn't believe that wizards are the best class ever, so we're going to have a duel that I'm sure will settle the issue forever, could somebody please make me a 1st level wizard that can beat a 20th level fighter?"

"Monks."
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

"FAQ vs. RAW vs. RAI vs. RACSD vs. insert-abbreviation-that-proves-me-right-here."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

I suppose my nemesis dead horse would be Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats, and whether one or the other favours certain classes, what level of point-buy is "fair", or whether rolling for stats even happens.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey guys, I know class X is tier Y, but what if we did thing Z?"
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Is the FAQ RAW?" It's just a thoroughly boring argument, with little in the way of nuance, and it's especially horrible because its answer serves as the underpinnings for a number of rule struggles. Basically, any time there's an argument, and an FAQ entry can serve as a reference, you can spontaneously mutate that normal argument into an FAQ argument if you're losing. And it just goes nowhere.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've seen a fair number of threads get derailed discussions concerning the exact level of godly power wizards possess. That and posts that reiterate multiple times the steps one should take when dealing with a bad Player/DM.
    Last edited by frogglesmash; 2015-08-03 at 05:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Dead horses: stuff that's been debated all across the playground

13. - Top - End - #13

A horse is a horse
    of course of course
    and a horse can be a curse, of course
    especially when that cursed horse
    Is among the walking dead.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

"My game sucks because of [insert motivation here]. What should I do?" Really, you can't put yourself in anyone's shoes, let alone someone you just barely know from an online board. How the heck should you know what to do? Besides, frequently you post a reaction you find reasonable, only to be thoroughly ignored by the OP. If all you really wanted was to unburden yourself from a recent negative experience, I'm sure there are better ways around it.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Alignment.
    "Should this Paladin fall ?"
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

This martial build has a chance against a level 20 Wizard, while they depend on a dozen spells to get close to wizard level.
    Spoiler: Quotes!!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Wouldn't a half-elf/half-orc be a Fork?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And besides, it's a ludicrous way of breaking the game by twisting rules beyond all recognition. Kobolds have to be involved in there somewhere.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ToB, Fumbles, Diplomacy, Genesis, Fighters. VoP, dark chaos shuffle.

Ice Assassin & Mind Rape. I'm just sick of hearing about the last two as a solution to everything rather than it being something that can be argued about.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2015-08-03 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Warbeasts. I've had the same argument "no, you can't just turn your animal companion into a warbeast, warbeasts are bred, read the handle animal rules from 3.0" dozens of times, and pretty much every time it comes up I have to start over again.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

19. - Top - End - #19

For me the "GitP Regulars as [Insert concept]" thread are the the ones I just leave aside and dont even look into anymore. The first two were funny but know its like trying to perform CPR on the dead horse over and over and over again...

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Ice Assassin & Mind Rape. I'm just sick of hearing about the last two as a solution to everything rather than it being something that can be argued about.
    This was one of the more minor reasons I switched to PF but it was definitely a reason. Though I still maintain that Ice Assassin is not quite as all-purpose as many seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbranar View Post
    For me the "GitP Regulars as [Insert concept]" thread are the the ones I just leave aside and dont even look into anymore. The first two were funny but know its like trying to perform CPR on the dead horse over and over and over again...
    +1
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    ToB, Fumbles, Diplomacy, Genesis, Fighters. VoP, dark chaos shuffle.

Let me just change your tune regarding Mind Rape with a nice dose of MIND RAPE!
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Let me just change your tune regarding Mind Rape with a nice dose of MIND RAPE!
    No need, I already made an Ice Assassin to hunt and replace Psyren.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Pun-Pun says "knock it off and get back on topic".

Incidentally, that's another thing I'm kinda really tired of: Pun-Pun.

*Promptly implodes for some reason*

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    No need, I already made an Ice Assassin to hunt and replace Psyren.
    You can't afford me, honey (which incidentally means there are no parts of me in your spell component pouch.)

*z-snaps*
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Trying to make a sorcerer beat the "batman wizard"

The only way to do it is turn your sorcerer into a charisma wizard, or not let anyone be a "batman wizard" to begin with
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

What happens when you persist time stop?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    {scrubbed}
    Can't tell if this got scrubbed or is just meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

"[Thing] isn't as broken as the community says because [reason]," where [reason] is based on incomplete understanding of the RAW or specific house-rules in play. The regulars know what the Oberoni Fallacy is, but I think 3 - 5 threads a week could be prevented by having a definition of this and the other commonly known RPG-related fallacies stickied prominently.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    Trying to make a sorcerer beat the "batman wizard"

The only way to do it is turn your sorcerer into a charisma wizard, or not let anyone be a "batman wizard" to begin with
    To be fair, I wouldn't really call this a dead horse. I've only ever seen one real forum debate over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.