New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What would you do if you knew the world was doomed?

I'd be very sad.

I'd cash in my savings and start to live a bit more extravagantly. Not hugely, but might as well blow the retirement fund, right?

And I'd start building a radio antenna in my back yard, with a parabolic dish designed to transmit a highly directional signal. Then I'd pick what I thought was the best of my culture, encode it as robustly as possible, and transmit it in the direction of random nearby stars, in the faint hope that something, somewhere, might pick it up. It's the best I, personally, could do to try to preserve something from our collective existence.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd sell my apartment for a discount, and then I'd try to take some loan, but that would be really difficult since I don't have a job and without my apartment I wouldn't have anything to put in as collateral.

I'd travel around the world and I would do lots of wild and crazy things that I can't even publish on this forum. I would sleep in cheap motels just to make sure that I could visit lots of countries during those one or two years.

I'd start smoking. I've never smoked.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, you mean it isn't? I've been listening to the wrong philosophers than.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    Wait, you mean it isn't? I've been listening to the wrong philosophers than.
    To paraphrase Roy, the scenario is just moving up the timetable

And great replies all around, you guys. I don't think there's a "better" answer. I like this sort of question for what the answer says about the answerer. Interesting to see the different viewpoints here.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    To paraphrase Roy, the scenario is just moving up the timetable
    Oh! In that case send a very suggestive marriage proposal to every female celebrity I have a crush. Hey, that restraining order isn't going to do a lot of good after an asteroid/the Death Star/Frieza nukes this planet. And law of probability, one might say yes.