New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Read: The Dungeons and Dragons 5e Monster Manual!

Explaining that nobody is named Nobody doesn't seem to clear up the situation.
    This line. Just this line.

I can see the Cyclops' reply "Of course, Nobody is named Nobody. Now bring out Nobody"
    Humans: "Okay." (Proceed to bring out nobody).

It's an Abbot and Costello skit in the making.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's an Abbot and Costello skit in the making.
    But with treeclubs instead of slapsticks.

3. - Top - End - #603

NecromancerGirl

That was the idea, yes. Frankly, I found it very difficult to come up with any exciting adventure hooks involving cyclopes, so I just went for comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

In my setting I have Cyclops as the degenerate children of a once enlightened civilization, inhabiting fantastic ruins that they no longer understand how to build or maintain.

They also believe themselves to be descended from the god Poseidon (even if they no longer have the god's favor) and they feel that all water is theirs by rights, and they tend to use their size to extort people who want to travel by boat or utilize aqueducts or irrigation in their domain.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2016-02-17 at 11:19 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #605

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    In my setting I have Cyclops as the degenerate children of a once enlightened civilization, inhabiting fantastic ruins that they no longer understand how to build or maintain.

They also believe themselves to be descended from the god Poseidon (even if they no longer have the god's favor) and they feel that all water is theirs by rights, and they tend to use their size to extort people who want to travel by boat or utilize aqueducts or irrigation in their domain.
    See, now, that's how you make cyclops interesting in your campaign world.
    Last edited by Angel Bob; 2016-02-17 at 11:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    That was the idea, yes. Frankly, I found it very difficult to come up with any exciting adventure hooks involving cyclopes, so I just went for comedy.
    It's not strictly comedy, but if you're not going for a serious tone, I've always liked 'tribe of cyclops that worships a Beholder' myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    It's not strictly comedy, but if you're not going for a serious tone, I've always liked 'tribe of cyclops that worships a Beholder' myself.
    The Cyclops being the relative of the beholder seems like an interesting twist. Older cyclopes start sprouting 'hair' nodes and when they die, their head pops off, the other eyes open and they head off.

Alternatively, the cyclopes were created by the same thing that made beholders, only they were an experiment to create humanoid beholders. They cyclopes got adopted into the giant ordning because no other races wanted the creatures.
    Spoiler: Quotes from the Playground
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Good old Jes, the infamous Doppelganger MILF.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Regitnui View Post
    The Cyclops being the relative of the beholder seems like an interesting twist. Older cyclopes start sprouting 'hair' nodes and when they die, their head pops off, the other eyes open and they head off.
    You could even add a transitionary step to the life cycle by having it go cyclops -> fomorian -> beholder.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, head sprouts new appendages and flies off? Oh sweet mother of [Insert Holy Deity Here]! GIANT VARGOUILLES! RUN! RUN FER YER LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RazDelacroix View Post
    Wait, head sprouts new appendages and flies off? Oh sweet mother of [Insert Holy Deity Here]! GIANT VARGOUILLES! RUN! RUN FER YER LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!
    Yeah, pretty much. That giant you spent about two rounds focus fire on? The fighter didn't decapitate it, the head matured. Now you've got a newborn beholder and a couple more cyclopes coming to see what the fuss was in grampa's cave. Good luck.
    Show
    In fact, I will here formally propose the Zeroth Rule of Gaming: No rule in any game shall be interpreted in a way that breaks the game if it is possible to interpret that rule in a way that does not.

(aka "The Doppelbanger")
    Shhhhh, shhhhhh. Be calm, inhale the beholder's wacky float gas and stop worrying.

Adapting published monsters to Eberron: Naturalist's Guide to Eberron Latest: Annis Hag

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

This Beholder/Cyclops thing a brilliant idea. Gives the Cyclops a whole new dimension (and the Beholder as well). Consider it used in my campaign world.
    Sic Bisquitum Disintegratum - Thus Breaketh Ye Bisquit

12. - Top - End - #612

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmox42 View Post
    This Beholder/Cyclops thing a brilliant idea. Gives the Cyclops a whole new dimension (and the Beholder as well). Consider it used in my campaign world.
    I'm thinking of using it but not actually doing it.

Consider the effect on the party that finds a cave painting or a discovered series of paintings/sculpts/etc. showing cyclopses (?) transforming into beholders. That's a real nice red herring, and a quest that needs no seeding.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    I'm thinking of using it but not actually doing it.

Consider the effect on the party that finds a cave painting or a discovered series of paintings/sculpts/etc. showing cyclopses (?) transforming into beholders. That's a real nice red herring, and a quest that needs no seeding.
    Also a good way to use it. The Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis and other setting and monster splatbooks from 3.5 are my favourite source of ideas.
    Show

(aka "The Doppelbanger")

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Myself as well. I cannot wait to throw my party at the Cyclops Islands.

15. - Top - End - #615

NecromancerGirl

Looks like discussion on the cyclops has died down, so it's probably time to move on to the darkmantle. Is anyone else interested in writing up a post? It needn't be just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

16. - Top - End - #616

SamuraiGuy

Agreed that the Cyclopian race is not sufficiently distinct from other giants merely by virtue of having the single eye. They need better fluff.

Odysseys used the name "Noman", not "Nobody". "Who hurt you?" "Noman". "Well if Noman hurt you it must have been one of the gods, and you deserve your blindness".

The Cyclops as the larval form of the Beholder is excellent, but why not the other way? Ancient Beholders wither away until only the great central eye is left, and when these fall to the ground they sometimes take root and grow a Cyclops. It gives the Cyclops both an aberrant feel and also an elemental one, sort of an Antaeus.

Aside from being Beholder-kin or Poseidon spawn they could be the descendents of once mighty hunters, who killed the birds sacred to [insert deity] and were cursed with only short-range vision and insufficient wit to craft bows. Can the curse be lifted? Should it be lifted? Perhaps the deity no longer cares.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

17. - Top - End - #617
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

It could be an eternal cycle. The old Beholder shrinks, falls to the ground, sprout a body (over time) and becomes a Cyclops. Then it spends a few hundred years as an earth-bound biped, head pops off, and it becomes a Beholder Again.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

Odysseys used the name "Noman", not "Nobody". "Who hurt you?" "Noman". "Well if Noman hurt you it must have been one of the gods, and you deserve your blindness".
    Do you have a source for that? The only version I've ever read uses Nobody, and while I can't read ancient Greek text, a cursory Google only brings up a slightly obscure literary question site and a great many books that reference works by another author with the same last name.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #619
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Do you have a source for that? The only version I've ever read uses Nobody, and while I can't read ancient Greek text, a cursory Google only brings up a slightly obscure literary question site and a great many books that reference works by another author with the same last name.
    Not that I'm an authority or anything, but the first time I read the story it was "Noman". I have come across "Nobody" versions recently, but I figured that was something similar to the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone change.

20. - Top - End - #620

Kobold

It could be an eternal cycle. The old Beholder shrinks, falls to the ground, sprout a body (over time) and becomes a Cyclops. Then it spends a few hundred years as an earth-bound biped, head pops off, and it becomes a Beholder Again.
    Ick. I guess that's why beholders are always P.O.ed. at the world.

What I've done is made it a scam. A new ruler within the empire wants the empire to shift resources their way. The ruler makes a magic item that reacts to a casting/attunement on it by casting Suggestion with a high DC. The suggestion is that the item (a tarted up plow yoke) has the ability to turn cyclopses into beholders, and further suggests that they believe this despite knowing facts that contradict it (cognitive dissonance).

It's called (prepare to groan) "the Yoke of the Beholder." And there must be more than one out there, as the runes clearly say "3 of 14."

The idea is that cyclopses becoming (really dumb) beholders is a threat the empire cannot ignore, so they will send $/military assets to help that ruler. The assets will be used to start/support a greater conflict.

21. - Top - End - #621

SamuraiGuy

Going by my memory of reading the Odyssey a few years back. Wikipedia has "Nobody", but the MIT online text has "Noman".

Tufts online text also has "Noman".

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Going by my memory of reading the Odyssey a few years back. Wikipedia has "Nobody", but the MIT online text has "Noman".

Tufts online text also has "Noman".
    they're translated. neither of them are really completely accurate. the actual text is a bunch of greek symbols that probably most of us can't read, and which does not sound particularly like either "noman" or "nobody".

the original name is not on the playing field, here. there's just english words that mean the same thing as the original name, and since both of those "names" mean essentially the same thing, either one works (but "noman" sounds a lot more like something that could be mistaken for an actual name, so i'd probably go with that).

23. - Top - End - #623

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    Looks like discussion on the cyclops has died down, so it's probably time to move on to the darkmantle. Is anyone else interested in writing up a post? It needn't be just me.
    I wanted to give it a try, but I was kinda busy the last few days...despite the entry being a little bland, it's the kind of creature I like

I think I should have time either later tonight or sometime tomorrow
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2016-02-24 at 03:33 PM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

24. - Top - End - #624

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    they're translated. neither of them are really completely accurate. the actual text is a bunch of greek symbols that probably most of us can't read, and which does not sound particularly like either "noman" or "nobody".

the original name is not on the playing field, here. there's just english words that mean the same thing as the original name, and since both of those "names" mean essentially the same thing, either one works (but "noman" sounds a lot more like something that could be mistaken for an actual name, so i'd probably go with that).
    The point of a translation - I believe both of these were done by people with PhD's in Ancient Greek - is that someone who can understand reads alpha beta gamma delta epsilon zeta eta theta etc. and turns them into English. A couple of really smart peeps, then, thought those squiggles were closer to "Noman" than anything else, while the person who did Wikipedia chose "Nobody", possibly with good reason.

Some people (I think it was Nietzsche) argue that translation is impossible, that a statement can only be understood in the original. Others believe that translation is possible to some asymptotic approach to accuracy.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Interesting. Either way it gets the point across I suppose.

Also, turns out the reason I was having a hard time finding it was that my phone had autocorrected it to 'Norman' and I didn't notice. Oops.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

The point of a translation - I believe both of these were done by people with PhD's in Ancient Greek - is that someone who can understand reads alpha beta gamma delta epsilon zeta eta theta etc. and turns them into English. A couple of really smart peeps, then, thought those squiggles were closer to "Noman" than anything else, while the person who did Wikipedia chose "Nobody", possibly with good reason.

Some people (I think it was Nietzsche) argue that translation is impossible, that a statement can only be understood in the original. Others believe that translation is possible to some asymptotic approach to accuracy.
    sure, but in this case, it's like translating poetry. you just have to go with what you feel fits best... there is no "one true answer". you're just picking which of the literal meanings "feels right" to you. it's essentially an idiomatic expression, because the name is basically a pun. in greek. there is no direct literal translation that preserves the pun

27. - Top - End - #627
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The idea is that cyclopses becoming (really dumb) beholders is a threat the empire cannot ignore, so they will send $/military assets to help that ruler. The assets will be used to start/support a greater conflict.
    Another scheme by the military-industrial complex
    Sounds brilliant. Gives the players a conspiracy to unravel.

28. - Top - End - #628

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    sure, but in this case, it's like translating poetry. you just have to go with what you feel fits best... there is no "one true answer". you're just picking which of the literal meanings "feels right" to you. it's essentially an idiomatic expression, because the name is basically a pun. in greek. there is no direct literal translation that preserves the pun
    Translation is both an art and a science; while "Noman" and "Nobody" might be acceptable, "Someguy" probably isn't. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have come in with a definitive statement that "Noman" is correct; I just thought that fit better with the line about "Well, if No Man did this it was a god" versus "Well, if Nobody did this it was a god" as gods are clearly somebody.

But I do like this site precisely because it lets me have conversations like this about the intricacies of translating puns.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

Translation is both an art and a science; while "Noman" and "Nobody" might be acceptable, "Someguy" probably isn't. Anyway, I probably shouldn't have come in with a definitive statement that "Noman" is correct; I just thought that fit better with the line about "Well, if No Man did this it was a god" versus "Well, if Nobody did this it was a god" as gods are clearly somebody.

But I do like this site precisely because it lets me have conversations like this about the intricacies of translating puns.
    so "noman" feels better for you. it is not particularly more valid than "nobody" or "no-one" or anything else that essentially means the same thing, because for someone else the other versions might feel more right to them. they aren't "wrong" for thinking that a different word feels better. of course, they aren't inherently "right" either...

30. - Top - End - #630

Post Re: Let's Read: The Dungeons and Dragons 5e Monster Manual!

Ancient Greek generally lacked the large vocabulary of modern languages.