New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: wasd

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default wasd

I used to game on computers a lot, but pretty much stopped 10 years ago.

On the other hand, I've been in an office job working on a computer all day long since the late 90s.

So, I have way more hours under my belt using a computer for spreadsheets and documents (and recent hours at that).

So... why does my left hand still automatically jump to the "WASD" keys when I am using the mouse.

Old habits die hard.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: wasd

There's something to be said for memorized routines. Why not remap your shortcuts to Q, E, R, and so on? Just hold Ctrl with your pinkie and blast out mad productivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think WASD was actually chosen because that's "naturally" where the left hand goes on the keyboard, if you think about hand positions for typing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    I think WASD was actually chosen because that's "naturally" where the left hand goes on the keyboard, if you think about hand positions for typing.
    Compared to vim's hjkl navigation, I'm inclined to agree.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It's also near the natural hand position for anyone taught "formal" typing, which has the left hand on ASDF. It combined the layout of the arrow keys with the normal positioning for ASDF, and did so to take advantage of the larger number of available keys.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wasd is my go-to, and had been as long as I recall. I use it on emulators and WoW. Leaves the index finger free for myriad hot keys.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2015-08-10 at 07:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    Considering that the left hand actually goes on ASDF, ESDF is a much better key combo than WASD because it doesn't require you to move your index finger or ring finger, and leaves more keys on the left of the hand for the ring finger and pinkie to hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Considering that the left hand actually goes on ASDF, ESDF is a much better key combo than WASD because it doesn't require you to move your index finger or ring finger, and leaves more keys on the left of the hand for the ring finger and pinkie to hit.
    But WASD makes more sense because it's left justified.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I actually used ESDF for a while because my W key was broken. You can probably reach more keys with ESDF if you don't care what your hotkeys are, but WASD allows for easier reach of things like CTRL, shift, and tab. I'd imagine that was the rationale behind going with WASD instead, but I don't really know.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Compared to vim's hjkl navigation, I'm inclined to agree.
    Playing Nethack with HJKL is horror. No, free-software-writing dinguses, your controls being on the home row doesn't make your controls good.