New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris: Paradoxian Space Stategy.

I'm trying to resist buying this right now soooo hard. My birthday is in just a few months, I can ask for it then, and I really can't afford it, but omgiwantit.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

2. - Top - End - #62

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    I'm trying to resist buying this right now soooo hard. My birthday is in just a few months, I can ask for it then, and I really can't afford it, but omgiwantit.
    Do you just want the game, or the actual preorder promo? ;)

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Do you just want the game, or the actual preorder promo? ;)
    Oh I'm fine with the game, I mean, extra races are fine and all, but I imagine they'll be available later and tons of new race DLCs or mods will come out in fairly short order.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Looks like the embargo has been lifted as the youtubers with advanced preview copies are putting up their lets plays. If only I wasn't at work so I could watch...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Now 130 hours into EUIV - and having got the game's measure to actually not get too frustrated and/or bored at it (which is "easy, save every five minutes and don't give it an inch"), I am more positively inclined to Stellaris. Still probably something I won't get instantly (still probbaly got forty or fifty hours left on this first playthrough of EUIV...), but something to look at down the line and put on my wish list for if it goes on sale or six months down the line ot something.

6. - Top - End - #66

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Oh I'm fine with the game, I mean, extra races are fine and all, but I imagine they'll be available later and tons of new race DLCs or mods will come out in fairly short order.
    Bear in mind the extra races are just extra appearances for races of which there are already many dozens in the base game.

Really, the only thing to preorder for would be if you're on the Paradox forums and you want that sweet Blorg avatar.

(Otherwise the game's out on like monday so it's not too long now).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Now 130 hours into EUIV - and having got the game's measure to actually not get too frustrated and/or bored at it (which is "easy, save every five minutes and don't give it an inch"), I am more positively inclined to Stellaris. Still probably something I won't get instantly (still probbaly got forty or fifty hours left on this first playthrough of EUIV...), but something to look at down the line and put on my wish list for if it goes on sale or six months down the line ot something.
    From what I've read it'll be more a mix of EU4 and CK2 with its own flavoring. Certainly excited about it all the same though.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any ideas on what the best Let's Plays are?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Of those I've seen so far, I liked Quill's the most.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    From what I've read it'll be more a mix of EU4 and CK2 with its own flavoring. Certainly excited about it all the same though.
    I don't know if I would really call it a mix of EU4 and CK2...

I mean, yeah your ruler, advisers, and scientists all have traits, but it's not like you can marry them off or start an eugenics program.

It seems more like a mix of EU4 and <insert popular 4x space game here>. It has a lot of stuff that screams Paradox Grand Strategy Game, but unlike a typical grand strategy game; it seems like the goal is going to fall in line with more traditional 4x games: Dominate the Galaxy.

comparatively speaking, EU4 and CK2 are far more sandbox-y where you make your own goals.It's highly unlikely to conquer the world in both games, however it really seems as if Stellaris is going to be more clear-cut. Hopefully they add a large variety of ways to complete that objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

After consideration (and a bit of checking up), I decided that I would give a shot via pre-order, taking advantage of the Green Game Gaming discount.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    it's not like you can start an eugenics program.
    Well, you can, but it's just a policy that gives permanent bonuses to your leaders. I agree it's not like CK2 though.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

For those who want to plan races ahead of time there is a race builder available at https://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/

I'm thinking of going with http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris...traits=7,14,28 - a race of peaceful, industrious bugs that bred like crazy. +5% energy, +10% food, +20% minerals, -5% food needed, -10% growth time. Tend to get squashed like, well bugs, in war.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I am so very exited. I plan to do my first game as brillant, but very lazy slug people

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    comparatively speaking, EU4 and CK2 are far more sandbox-y where you make your own goals.It's highly unlikely to conquer the world in both games, however it really seems as if Stellaris is going to be more clear-cut. Hopefully they add a large variety of ways to complete that objective.
    I think that might be why I like the looks of Stellaris. I've not played EU4 but I *did* have a go at CK2, and I just found it too unfocused for me--I can make up my own goals, sure (I've played hundreds of hours of X3:TC), but I always find it more satisfying to fulfil an objective someone else has set for me.

16. - Top - End - #76

Flumph

I have vague plans to start a race of mad scientists. Whatever traits make the most science, wormhole drives, and a personal rule to always meddle with dangerous research whenever it comes up.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

After watching the streams my plan has changed to pretty much the same thing. Intelligent, long-lived and weak, Fanatic Materialist and either Militarist or Individualist, with a Science Directorate Government. Research ALL the things, give full rights to my AIs, etc. Fallen Empires are gonna hate me.

BTW, the linked generator is a bit out of date. A few, mostly minor, things have changed since the Blorg build that it's based on. This one has been updated with what's known from the streams.

18. - Top - End - #78

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    After watching the streams my plan has changed to pretty much the same thing. Intelligent, long-lived and weak, Fanatic Materialist and either Militarist or Individualist, with a Science Directorate Government. Research ALL the things, give full rights to my AIs, etc. Fallen Empires are gonna hate me.

If you're not going to meddle with things that man or mushroom was not meant to know, what's the point of going to space?

Our glorious mission, to explore space, find strange new worlds and civilisations, and to poke them with a stick to see what happens!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    For those who want to plan races ahead of time there is a race builder available at https://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris_race_maker/

I'm thinking of going with http://kaisersly.github.io/stellaris...traits=7,14,28 - a race of peaceful, industrious bugs that bred like crazy. +5% energy, +10% food, +20% minerals, -5% food needed, -10% growth time. Tend to get squashed like, well bugs, in war.
    This is awesome.

Made a whole bunch of different races for funzies.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Since I'm on a Warhammer 40k kick recently, I'm probably going to recreate the Imperium of Man and go to town with it. (I very much expect mods that gives us the ship models from BFG shortly.)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Lots of people focusing on tech, but I think a lot of the non-tech bonuses seem a lot more powerful in the near and long-term, especially considering that there seems to be a lot less of the exponential increase in power offered by tech compared to other 4X games. You get bigger ships, but they aren't actually much better than just more small ones, and actual upgrades to weapons and armor seem to be fairly rare and not massive changes. The actual power of your empire seems much more reliant on simply how large your empire actually is, how many planets and stations you have to increase your forcelimit.

Myself, I'm planning to crease a race of aggressive, imperialistic canaries.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Huh. What a happy birthday present.
    I know right? If only I had my birthday money now to preorder.

Haven't even bought the other space conquest/4X games I got on my wish list. Arg, not enough time and money to enjoy all this.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

*Homer Drooling Noises*

Low on funds though. Probably wait for a sale.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Lots of people focusing on tech, but I think a lot of the non-tech bonuses seem a lot more powerful in the near and long-term, especially considering that there seems to be a lot less of the exponential increase in power offered by tech compared to other 4X games. You get bigger ships, but they aren't actually much better than just more small ones, and actual upgrades to weapons and armor seem to be fairly rare and not massive changes. The actual power of your empire seems much more reliant on simply how large your empire actually is, how many planets and stations you have to increase your forcelimit.

Myself, I'm planning to crease a race of aggressive, imperialistic canaries.
    Well, traditionally focusing on tech has been a really strong strategy in such games. Even if it's not the strongest here, it's guaranteed to work nicely. Thus it's a very safe choice for most people's first game. I'm sure we'll be seeing more diversity once everyone starts getting the hang of it. I, for instance, am planning to go with some form of spiritual slavers for my second playthrough.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Well, traditionally focusing on tech has been a really strong strategy in such games. Even if it's not the strongest here, it's guaranteed to work nicely.
    I disagree somewhat. One of the things Stellaris does is have randomised techs, and since the main reason for focusing on tech in other 4X games is to follow some sort of "perfect research" line to get a game-breaking advantage, that isn't so much the case here because you're not guaranteed to get the techs you need dealt to you. You might thus be better off, for example, choosing traits that give you a military or manufacturing advantage, on the grounds those are guaranteed while tech is not.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I disagree somewhat. One of the things Stellaris does is have randomised techs, and since the main reason for focusing on tech in other 4X games is to follow some sort of "perfect research" line to get a game-breaking advantage, that isn't so much the case here because you're not guaranteed to get the techs you need dealt to you. You might thus be better off, for example, choosing traits that give you a military or manufacturing advantage, on the grounds those are guaranteed while tech is not.
    I had a long reply typed up, on the lines of "yes, perhaps economics might be the smart move, but I won't make any calls until I can see the mechanics" and on to a long diversion... And then firefox did somemost bizarre - I'm not even sure what I hit and why it did anything and it all vanished. Especially weird considering that the forums saves posts now; it's the first post I've had eaten for years.

Perhaps I'll expound later.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Spamalot in the Playground

Based on my experiences with every Civ/4X kind of game I've played, Economics seems to be the secret to victory. Money builds your cities/planets/armies/starships, pays bribes to keep neighbors content, and funds the research into better technologies. Though some games may not have "money" (like in Space Empires IV) but have resources you mine which is pretty much like currency.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    While tech is sort of randomized, it's very much weighted. Especially in the early game. Per the words of the dev diary on the subject:

The deck is very much stacked, so to speak. Especially in the early game, some cards are extremely likely to end up in the top, so that all players get a fair start. What happens in the background is a complex weighting of various factors, like the ethics of the empire, the traits of the scientist character in charge of the department, the techs you already have, etc. I guess you could say the result is something like a fuzzy, hidden tech tree.
    I don't really have much to put into this discussion. I'm largely neutral on whether tech will be a good investment or not. Certainly there are arguments on both sides. However, saying that Stellaris has "randomized techs" isn't really true.

Also I was surprised to find that the Yogscast did a couple of videos on Stellaris. I'm not a big Yogscast person, but they're certainly bigger than the typical people that Paradox Strategy Games pull in. So i was sort of surprised to see it.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2016-05-07 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Since I'm on a Warhammer 40k kick recently, I'm probably going to recreate the Imperium of Man and go to town with it. (I very much expect mods that gives us the ship models from BFG shortly.)
    I was trying of maybe building tyranids at some point. Militaristic, xenophilic, spiritualist. Expansionist like crazy. Depending on trait points, repugnant agrarian nomads.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am totally making Kerbals. They will, of course, use the Warp method of FTL, in imitation of KSP Kraken drives. Too bad there isn't a mod yet that adds Kerbal portraits (and also their homeworld Kerbin).
    Last edited by The Great Wyrm; 2016-05-07 at 09:49 AM.