New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Stellaris: Paradoxian Space Stategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Retreating from battles is in fact useful and possible.
    Really? Oh that I did not know!

Sweet, maybe "hit n run" guerrilla tactics are a viable thing? It was something I liked to implement in MoO2-- attack an enemy fleet with small but fast ships to strike specific targets and then flee before the counter-attack destroys my strike force.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Had just enough time to make my empire and play maybe... 3 years of game, maybe even less, before I dozed off at my computer.

The great race of Durrrrrrr, the reptilian chassis that looks vaguely dumb, has finally broken out of their home system of Buuuuuh? using the finest in Stupid technology. Soon, they will spread the Stupid way of life throughout the galaxy; being Fanatic Xenophiles and Pacifists, they might not be easy to love but they sure are hard to hate.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Just noticed that the leader portrait for your custom leaders changes to some default portrait after you reload the game, anyone else have this bug?
    Nintendo FC: 1805-3205-0820
    My Friend Safari contains Sawsbuck, Sunkern and Maractus
    Spoiler: 4-5 iv/HA pokemon for trade
    Show
    absol HA, oddish, keckleon HA, poochyeena HA, clamperl, magikarp, bagon, charmander, deino, aron, gible HA, bulbasur HA, Honedge, Scyther, mawile, tropius, weedle, electrike (one has HP Ice with high def iv and 4 perfect iv), Skrelp HA, Clefairy HA, Carvanha HA, Pidgey HA, Buneary, HA, Kangaskhan and Chinchou
    I can also breed HA dratini, HA tangela, HA shroomish

4. - Top - End - #154
    Firbolg in the Playground

I got into a bit of a bind, was stuck in my arm between two empires, controlling the jumps to the other arms, and only 3 Arid planets in the area between, and 2 Desert planets that I could colonize. Luckily managed to Enlighten and then subsume a continental-based species who are at least Pacifist and Xenophile (but Individualist where I'm Fanatical Collectivist, heh), and then make an alliance with one of my bordering empires. Currently I'm exploring the arm to the left/below me, with a fleet going ahead fighting Crystals.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Scientists are abject cowards (despite being from the science based race)
    You can set their stance on passive. That way they won't retreat at the first sign of trouble. On the other hand, they won't retreat at the first sign of trouble, and that trouble might catch up to them. I do it when I want them to pass through a dangerous system, and set them back to cowardly immediately after.

Earth was only 3 systems from my home world in a random map which was fun, subjugation planed, just hasn't happened yet.
    Oh, cool. On what period did you find them? You can find Earth on any period of history apparently, from the home of cavemen to a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Sweet, maybe "hit n run" guerrilla tactics are a viable thing? It was something I liked to implement in MoO2-- attack an enemy fleet with small but fast ships to strike specific targets and then flee before the counter-attack destroys my strike force.
    You don't have that much control of your fleets during battle. You can't prioritize high-value targets within a given fleet. (unless there's combat computers for that that I haven't discovered yet) What you can do is cripple your enemy's infrastructure with hit-and-run raids. Especially if they're using wormholes, you can effectively knock them out of FTL altogether.

I ended up restarting my game. I felt confident enough to try Ironman for the achievements. I got more minerals now, but the nearby planets are much worse. And my neighbours are still Democratic Crusaders. No allies in sight though. This is gonna be interesting.
    Last edited by Narkis; 2016-05-10 at 03:54 PM.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Found the Sol System and Space-Age Humans but not quite ready for interstellar travel. Slowly expanded around them with the hopes of uplifting but they did it on their own. Then I marked my almost 10K fleet into the system, destroyed their 0 navy and now I control Sol as a Theocratic Oligarchy Mushroom people. Really digging this game.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, just ran into my first Fallen Empire--they're the ones who don't like you researching certain techs, but I have no idea what those techs are, so could be interesting! I also uplifted a nuclear-age race to space tech and thus now have a vassal state--they're fanatical pacifists, though, so will be interesting to see what they do if I ever actually declare war on anyone.

I also found that when you build a colony ship at a starport in a sector, that sector then owns the colony ship--but they're perfectly happy for you to send the colony ship off to colonise a planet? Didn't quite understand that, they might as well have had the colony ship appear in the civilian ship list as usual since the ship being owned by the sector apparently made no difference.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

So in my bog standard starter default humie game, I found myself sandwiched between a reptile people, who liked me, and slightly less reptile people, who made me my rivals, and bird people, who like me because we both rivalled the less reptile people.

Meanwhile I'm frantically trying to grab more planets before more reptile people outcolonise and shut me out.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I'm wondering is if it's possible to slowly replace your entire species with robots without triggering a robot uprising.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    You don't have that much control of your fleets during battle. You can't prioritize high-value targets within a given fleet. (unless there's combat computers for that that I haven't discovered yet)
    I consider that a disappointment. Not much of a strategy game in a combat sense if you can't at least give high level commands to prioritize targets, like telling your fleet to shoot smaller frigates first or concentrate all fire on the biggest battleship. Something generalized to give at least the illusion that you're in control of the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    What you can do is cripple your enemy's infrastructure with hit-and-run raids. Especially if they're using wormholes, you can effectively knock them out of FTL altogether.
    Okay, that's a plus for the game. Targeting infrastructure is great strategy. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, I found a lovely little world with 17 tiles

13 of which have tile blockers on them....Yeah, gonna be awhile before i touch that one. Lots of minerals too, which is unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

12. - Top - End - #162

A friend had just an XCOM happen to him.

Conquer a race of primitives, and they started a rather effective revolt against him. Funnily enough, industrial civilizations have proven easy to control.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Well, I found a lovely little world with 17 tiles

13 of which have tile blockers on them....Yeah, gonna be awhile before i touch that one. Lots of minerals too, which is unfortunate.
    Are.... 16-17 tiles worlds rare? I found like 4 within 4 jumps of Sol, so I thought they were fairly common occurrences.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Are.... 16-17 tiles worlds rare? I found like 4 within 4 jumps of Sol, so I thought they were fairly common occurrences.
    that's probably the average world size and are generally a reliable place to colonize. Which is why I was so frustrated to find one that's almost completely blocked by junk. Eventually it'll make a good world, but who knows how long that'll be.

The largest planet size is 25, just an fyi.

In other news, I'm a little annoyed that you have to be a fanatic xenophile to be able to enlighten natives. I should be allowed to raise them up to be a perfectly obedient slave race. Afterall, I need them to build more monuments to my glorious leaders.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2016-05-10 at 08:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

that's probably the average world size and are generally a reliable place to colonize. Which is why I was so frustrated to find one that's almost completely blocked by junk. Eventually it'll make a good world, but who knows how long that'll be.

The largest planet size is 25, just an fyi.
    About those size 25 worlds...

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Had just enough time to make my empire and play maybe... 3 years of game, maybe even less, before I dozed off at my computer.

The great race of Durrrrrrr, the reptilian chassis that looks vaguely dumb, has finally broken out of their home system of Buuuuuh? using the finest in Stupid technology. Soon, they will spread the Stupid way of life throughout the galaxy; being Fanatic Xenophiles and Pacifists, they might not be easy to love but they sure are hard to hate.
    Should we tell him about Fanatical Purifiers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm not entirely sure if i understand Ethic Divergence. At first it seems pretty simple. A positive number means that a pop may change away from your ethics and a negative number means that a pop may change towards your ethics.

Yet, i'm still finding pops drifting away from my ethics, even in places that have negative divergence.

18. - Top - End - #168

I'm not entirely sure if i understand Ethic Divergence. At first it seems pretty simple. A positive number means that a pop may change away from your ethics and a negative number means that a pop may change towards your ethics.

Yet, i'm still finding pops drifting away from my ethics, even in places that have negative divergence.
    Pretty sure it's... "There's a chance that populations change away from your ethics, places with negative divergence change away slower and shift back more, while places with positive will change faster and maybe never shift back."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

One useful thing about science ships, at least a bit later in the game when you've got enough of a navy that you don't need it all in one place to be of any use: While you can't arm your science ships, or attach a fleet to them, you can get similar results by setting the science ship to neutral, and having a decent-size (300-500 strength) fleet set to follow them. That way, the science ship can fly around surveying systems inhabited by hostiles, and if anything does engage them, the following fleet will be close enough that it automatically engages and defends the science ship.

Haven't been using this tactic for long, so I'm not sure how reliable it is, but it should save a lot of hassle when exploring large areas with lots of weak hostiles, as I've been doing.

One hassle that I am having some trouble with, though, is trying to pin down all of the colonizable worlds in my empire, and fill them with colony ships of the appropriate pop to maximize habitability. I really wish there was a ledger in this game, so I could see stuff like "all uninhabited planets in my system".

Also, does anyone know if sectors will build and upgrade space stations if you give them enough minerals?
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    Pretty sure it's... "There's a chance that populations change away from your ethics, places with negative divergence change away slower and shift back more, while places with positive will change faster and maybe never shift back."
    I suppose it is a pipe dream to have a mostly homogeneous race when you're spread out among the stars. I mean that's the very idea of it...At least not without purging the insolent fools. Still it was a nice pipe dream.

Of course, that doesn't mean the Fennec Pharaohs will give up so easily. They shall cover the galaxy in monuments built on the back of slave races.

21. - Top - End - #171

I think there is an inherent positive modifier to divergence (more likely) the farther you get from your capital.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    One useful thing about science ships, at least a bit later in the game when you've got enough of a navy that you don't need it all in one place to be of any use: While you can't arm your science ships, or attach a fleet to them, you can get similar results by setting the science ship to neutral, and having a decent-size (300-500 strength) fleet set to follow them. That way, the science ship can fly around surveying systems inhabited by hostiles, and if anything does engage them, the following fleet will be close enough that it automatically engages and defends the science ship.

Haven't been using this tactic for long, so I'm not sure how reliable it is, but it should save a lot of hassle when exploring large areas with lots of weak hostiles, as I've been doing.

One hassle that I am having some trouble with, though, is trying to pin down all of the colonizable worlds in my empire, and fill them with colony ships of the appropriate pop to maximize habitability. I really wish there was a ledger in this game, so I could see stuff like "all uninhabited planets in my system".

Also, does anyone know if sectors will build and upgrade space stations if you give them enough minerals?
    The lack of a easy colonizable worlds display cost me a Gaian world which I didn't spot until my "friendly" neighbour already planted his grubby hands on it. Now I scrutinise each system that is surveyed and note it manually.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's kind of sad when your first set of leaders starts dying off. :(
    We are the Blorg. You will be befriended. Resistance is impolite.

24. - Top - End - #174

In other news, I'm a little annoyed that you have to be a fanatic xenophile to be able to enlighten natives. I should be allowed to raise them up to be a perfectly obedient slave race. Afterall, I need them to build more monuments to my glorious leaders.
    You can; it's in the empire policies (basically laws), hit F1 and allow native uplift. Xenophiles just start with it on by default. Alternately just, y'know, conquer them by landing troops.

My favourite aliens story was when one of my shapeshifting infiltration agents went rogue, decided his true identity was as a fourteen foot tall mushroom, fell in love with a mushroom girl and began waging a counter-campaign against my infiltrators.

You are not feeling well. Come home to us.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-05-11 at 12:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You can; it's in the empire policies (basically laws), hit F1 and allow native uplift. Xenophiles just start with it on by default. Alternately just, y'know, conquer them by landing troops.

My favourite aliens story was when one of my shapeshifting infiltration agents went rogue, decided his true identity was as a fourteen foot tall mushroom, fell in love with a mushroom girl and began waging a counter-campaign against my infiltrators.

You are not feeling well. Come home to us.
    I've been wondering where the empire policies were hiding.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #176

BlackDragon

The lack of a easy colonizable worlds display cost me a Gaian world which I didn't spot until my "friendly" neighbour already planted his grubby hands on it.
    There *is* such a display? If you click the checkbox at the left-hand end of the menu sitting at the bottom right of the screen it enables additional map information, and any easily colonisable world will show up as a green planet icon to the left of the system name (amber planets are harder colonisable targets, and red means planets you don't have the tech to colonise as yet). The only caveat is that the planet in question has to be surveyed by one of your science ships, but that seems a reasonable restriction.

@Avian Overlord: I lost my last starting leader when she topped 100 years old (she had the long lived trait). You could always set up a race with the Venerable perk, though, which means they live much longer...

27. - Top - End - #177

Flumph

The lack of a easy colonizable worlds display cost me a Gaian world which I didn't spot until my "friendly" neighbour already planted his grubby hands on it. Now I scrutinise each system that is surveyed and note it manually.
    There's a little ticky box on the left end of the set of controls in the bottom right of the galaxy map. Shows colonisable planets and resources in systems on the galaxy map.

I need to sort out some irritating mushroom people next to me. I've boxed them in so they can't expand (and the only "free" side they have is the edge of a spiral arm with a fallen empire on the other side) but there's science in their space that I want to do, and they're fanatic xenophobes so they won't let me in to science things. (the much politer species to the south did, so they get to live, also they're all mates and are likely to ally even if I'm bigger than any of them individually)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2016-05-11 at 04:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

The world heals precious joy: A single particle imparts reality to incredible neural networks

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I consider that a disappointment. Not much of a strategy game in a combat sense if you can't at least give high level commands to prioritize targets, like telling your fleet to shoot smaller frigates first or concentrate all fire on the biggest battleship. Something generalized to give at least the illusion that you're in control of the battle.
    I entirely concur. But when, before I'd played enough EUIV to be certain I'd give Stellaris a shot, while asking about the Stellaris combat on the Paradox forums, I espoused that opinion, one gentleman was really rather rude about it. The mildest thing he ascerted was that tactical combat had "no place" in 4X or similar games and that all games that included it sucked by default.

30. - Top - End - #180

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I entirely concur. But when, before I'd played enough EUIV to be certain I'd give Stellaris a shot, while asking about the Stellaris combat on the Paradox forums, I espoused that opinion, one gentleman was really rather rude about it. The mildest thing he ascerted was that tactical combat had "no place" in 4X or similar games and that all games that included it sucked by default.
    I don't think there's ever been a 4x where tactical combat ever added anything to the game. If you're not relatively evenly matched there's no need to do any tactics, you just steamroll hapless opponents* that never stood a chance and 90% of the point of the rest of a 4x/Grand Strategy game is making sure you have enough strategic advantages that you aren't evenly matched.

* Via endless tedious clicking that the AI can't be trusted to automate, probably.