New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Yet another "Does anybody remember this series?". With pumpkins.

My wife is having something of a crisis. Sort of.

She is trying to remember the title of a TV series. All she can remember about it is:

• The story involved children being chased by pumpkins.
    • It was generally considered quite scary.
    • It was probably filmed in black and white, and may have been produced by ABC in Australia.
    • It was probably produced around the late 1960's/early 1970's.

All her investigations have turned up nothing (save for one other person who also vaguely remembers it). All my searches come up with Charlie Brown/Great Pumpkin references.

Do any Playgrounders remember this?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Yet another "Does anybody remember this series?". With pumpkins.

A search in google of "pumpkin scary episode tv series 70s" gives me a list of all halloween tv specials in wikipedia.

The first thing listed in "children and family" list is ABC Weekend Special: Soup and Me (1978)

A quick check in IMDB says there's pumpkin in it.

Is that it?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Fri,

I'm afraid not - the wife does not recognize it (and it is a little too recent as well).

Thank you for making the attempt - you managed to find more results than I did...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Is this animated?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Live action, according to Sharon. However she could be misremembering (especially given how long ago this is). If you have an animated suggestion, then by all means let's hear it.

I can be fairly sure that it's not "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966? really? Ye gods, I'm getting old). She would recognize the characters from that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Could it be she is misremembering HR PufnStuf as being about monster pumpkins? It was made in 1969, it showed on ABC, the main character looked like a pumpkin, it was live-action and it was unintentionally terrifying.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-12 at 03:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Candle Jack.

I'm afraid not. She says she remembers H.R. Puffenstuff quite clearly (It was one of my older sister's favourites as well).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Live action, according to Sharon. However she could be misremembering (especially given how long ago this is). If you have an animated suggestion, then by all means let's hear it.

I can be fairly sure that it's not "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" (1966? really? Ye gods, I'm getting old). She would recognize the characters from that.

No suggestions yet, just wanted to ask cause if it's not animated that allows me to narrow the search down.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    No suggestions yet, just wanted to ask cause if it's not animated that allows me to narrow the search down.
    All suggestions gratefully received. Given the dearth of material to work with I'm amazed that I got two suggestions...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

An old live action show (90s) about a Latina teenager, which one of the episode had her forced by her grandfather to study Spanish (especially TV) after failing a Spanish test.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    An old live action show (90s) about a Latina teenager, which one of the episode had her forced by her grandfather to study Spanish (especially TV) after failing a Spanish test.
    Sorry, not meaning to be offensive, just curious because this post is pretty non sequitur. Is this really you or someone's account got hacked by spambot again.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Sorry, not meaning to be offensive, just curious because this post is pretty non sequitur. Is this really you or someone's account got hacked by spambot again.
    It is me but my point is to find the name of the show, which is a sitcom that has an episode where a Latina flunk on her Spanish exam and her grand father changed the tv to Spanish channel to succeed in a make up test.
    Edit: wait, it's Taina.
    Last edited by t209; 2015-08-15 at 11:10 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies for not being more active I need to make rent by next friday and thats sucking up all my free time.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Okay my efforts have fallen short, is there any more info? What was the series in general about? Where the pumpkins just a haloween special?
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

I joined this forum just to ask if the answer was ever discovered? I remember this show and was searching to find out about it and this forum is the closest I have come. I am Australian and at the time most children's shows were Australian or Japanese dubbed TV shows. It was definitely in the late 60s and not later. I remember a closing scene of an episode with a woman being surrounded by evil bobbing pumpkins. Let me know what you ended up with.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I too remember this series from the late 60's. There was a huge pumpkin which had a malevolent aura about it. It was one of the Sunday afternoon/early evening TV shows. Some others included The Flaxton Boys and the Owl Service. In summer during the hols. you also had The Singing Ringing Tree which was another scary TV series, from East Germany, which featured a really scary dwarf who had trapped a woodcutter and a princess.

Anyway, if anyone ever finds out any further info about the Pumpkin, I'd be really grateful for any information.
    Last edited by Calyman; 2019-05-25 at 04:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    My wife is having something of a crisis. Sort of.

She is trying to remember the title of a TV series. All she can remember about it is:

• The story involved children being chased by pumpkins.
    • It was generally considered quite scary.
    • It was probably filmed in black and white, and may have been produced by ABC in Australia.
    • It was probably produced around the late 1960's/early 1970's.

All her investigations have turned up nothing (save for one other person who also vaguely remembers it). All my searches come up with Charlie Brown/Great Pumpkin references.

Do any Playgrounders remember this?

Hi, not sure if you are still following this thread, but I have the answer! I have searched for years for this show and finally discovered what it was - "Knock three times".

Early Sunday evening presentation shown under the Heyday Theatre banner. This four-part children's adventure series was a modern version of Marion St. John Webb's story (originally published in 1917), starring 15-year old 4ft 5in Jack Wild, by this time internationally famous as the Artful Dodger in Lionel Bart's musical 'Oliver!' Wild was teamed with young Sally-Ann Jones - three years his junior but the same height - to play twins Jack and Molly.
    Comedienne Hattie Jacques starred as their Aunt Nancy, a magical lady who lead the children off into a world of fun and fantasy. The serial started at the children's 12th birthday party, presided over by Nancy. Later, when the twins are in bed, Molly has a dream about one of her presents, a pin cushion, which turns into a walking "Grey Pumpkin Man" (played by diminutive character actor Norman McGleen). The rest of the serial was devoted to Molly's fantasy world, where she and Jack got involved in all sorts of adventures. Two stars from Please Sir! appeared in the series; Eric Chitty and Liz Gebhardt.

This site won't let me post pictures, but there are just a few on the internet if you search. A couple with the two kids and one with them and Hattie Jacques

I was 5 when this was shown, I remember having nightmares about it! I would love to see it again

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: It's dead, Jim.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2