New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den XIII

Back Room #4

Kalumin does an excellent job of listening closely while appearing as though they don't much care and are barely paying attention. They continue to sculpt the last of the talons into their hand, and when Pain is done, they say quietly, "thank you for sharing that with me. It is a shame that the other artifacts didn't have the same enchantment that prevents others from touching them. Seems it would have saved quite a bit of trouble."

They look up at her, scanning her face quickly for any hint of deceit. When they find none they look back down to their hand. "Well, I'm willing to trust you for now. If we are going to show off our abilities, I have an idea of were to go. There is a small farming village that has caught my eye. Very rural, very remote. And potentially very useful. Of course, I have not quite finished up my hands yet. I have one finger and then an entire other hand to go. So if you need some sleep, some food, or you have a few more questions for me, you have the time."

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

"It really would have," Pain agrees, cautiously observing their face.

"I'll choose trust you, but I'm still going to be cautious," she smirks then smiles, "the village sounds perfect. I have to admit, I am interested in your capabilities," she grabs the side of her robe to wrap over her legs.

"What was it like when you died, and crossed over?" she questions, "do you miss life on the throne, or do you prefer journeying through the world?"

"And your...artifact. I assume we'll be searching for it after we've found one of mine? Why is it so special to you?"

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

Kalumin's mouth twitches into a smile for a fraction of a second before they suppress it. "That is many more questions than I thought you had," they admit. "Good. It is good to know my partner is intelligent enough to question what happens around them. Perhaps you are here to break me from my cycle of meeting only amateurs." A genuine compliment from Kalumin? That's unusual. Pinch them; I don't think they're okay.

"Where to begin answering? Well, to start, several of those questions are wrong. I never 'crossed over'. Dying the first time was like pulling against a rubber band. A quick snap from one body into my lich body. Dieing the second time was more subtle. A slide from lich to body-less spirit. Your second question is also wrong. I never had a throne, per se. I owned a menagarie. I had great power over many people. But my throne was, sadly, metaphorical. I do miss it. The servants, the private studies, the unlimited reagants... and of course, my retirements. The greatest of which was my daughter. An experiment to see if I could create a powerful successor. The artifact was always meant to be hers. It was crafted from the seal-skin of her selkie mother, and I imbued it with many special properties and spells. Had she been slightly more patient, and had less of a golden heart, she would have received it alongside all of my collected power when I decided it was time to move on and find a new area to conquer. Such a shame. Such a waste."

Kalumin seems to be having some difficulties with the last talon of that hand. Why did pinky fingers have to be so small? They work on it calmly and collectedly, despite the frustration it had to be causing. "That cloak... I would like to see it again. I admit, I loved that thing. Beautiful. Inscribed with enchantments to only respond to those who use control magic. I created it myself, and there was no better craftsmanship anywhere. Perhaps I would not have parted with it after all. But I cannot know that now, I suppose. I am not sure if searching for it would be a good decision. Not after the trouble it caused me before. But perhaps one day I will. After we find your artifacts, of course."

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

The smile causes Pain to look at them with slight suspicion then she waits for an insult to come her way after they compliment her, but after a few moments of silence she's thrown slightly off guard since there was none.
    What changed? she wonders as her mind starts trying to predict what he could be up to, is he playing an angle with me?

"Your version of dying doesn't sound enjoyable in the slightest, but then again most people don't want to die. Your menagerie sounded quiet poised, and controlled under your rule. It's a shame your daughter failed you," she sympathises which was quite unusual of her.

Kalumin's cloak sounded reasonably powerful, but she noticed his attraction to it, maybe he grew addicted to its power, she assumes which does worry her. The last thing she'd want is to journey with someone that she thought was out of control.

"The first artifact I'm looking for is that of an ancient skull that was once the head of a powerful demon. It successfully departed the realm below, made its way back to the surface, and wreaked havoc upon countless kingdoms before it was brought down to its knees, and destroyed. That was aeons ago, but it's skull is still said to have certain magical properties if one knows how to use it," she smirks.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

A round of applause to Pain! She's managed to figure out Kalumin's greatest weakness. They crave power above all else, and have a nasty habit of growing comfortable and complacent in their power. They are far from out-of-control, especially as they do realize that the problem exists and has been the root of all their hardships. However, letting Kalumin gain too much power is clearly dangerous, whether you are on their side or not.

"Interesting," Kalumin says, "that could be extremely useful. What do the other artifacts do?"

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

Pain momentarily contemplates holding off the information of the other artifact, but she knows that even if Kalumin manages to steal one from her there's no way they'd be able to use it.

"The second is an ancient orb that was lost in an ancient, and forgotten city somewhere in this realm. The orb was made from the blood of each High Demon Lord including my father. If any hellspawn managed to drink a single drop they would acquire an endless sea of morbid abilities accessible only to the High Demon Lords. If any foe were to acquire it my plans would suffer a devastating setback. The chances of them finding it are extremely unlikely though seeing as the orb has a mind of its own, and prefers to remain hidden, waiting for a rightful owner with high demon blood flowing through their veins."

"Those are the only two artifacts I've gained knowledge of thus far. Once I've safely secured them my father will contact me, and provide me on the whereabouts of the next set of two," she sighs at the difficulty she'd be facing, "the first artifact is likely secured away somewhere, and my contact is in hiding while the second is completely unknown so this really should be entertaining," the stress seems to be gnawing away at her, "but terrorising a village would provide me with some entertainment, "she smirks, "my blade needs to claim more souls to offer as sacrifices to my father."

Her eyes drift from her hands, and blade back to Kalumin, "have you ever killed someone?" she asks, and if they have her next question would be, "was it with your own two hands?"
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-07-31 at 03:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

"Me? I'd never hurt anyone," they answer. It's non-sarcastic, in a perfect replica of a totally honest and slightly confused tone. They even complete it with giving her a tilted head and confused half-smile. "I am a little insulted that you would think me capable of hurting anyone."

But they knew Pain wouldn't buy it. And perhaps admitting would ingratiate them to her a little more. They look Pain directly in the eye, dropping the tone, and saying calmly, "can I help it if those who do not follow me meet harmful ends? They did accept my protection, so of course they tend to regret it. And can I help it if my daughter was obsessed with my menagarie of magical creatures? She would have found out the truth about her mother eventually. I would rather it had come from me. Any evidence to contradict what I told her needed to be... taken care of. I am a simple person of reasonable requests and good advice. Those who choose to ignore my thoughts do not always end up in good places... and is that really ever my fault?"

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

Dangerous, Pain ultimately decides as she scoffs at his attempt to be innocent, "you're free to say whatever you wish if it makes you feel better at the end of the day."

Pain was heartless, and conniving, but she was awfully blunt and honest about how dangerous she was. The only real exception would be when she was in the midst of manipulating the people around her. Kalumin may have attempted to sway her way of thought with his questions, but she already had an understanding of what they might be capable of.

"I take it then that a being comfortable with power, and control isn't too fond of being ignored, and having their views on matters left unheard, or unappreciated," Pain smiles at the thought of momentarily teasing them by denying them of a sense of power that they might seek.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-08-04 at 08:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Firbolg in the Playground

'Nadas' arrives here, following the advice of some surprisingly friendly city folk. The drow scholar has a bit more of his demonic heritage visible than he once did, from little oddities of his skin and hair to the points of protowings poking shape into his tattered robe.

At the bar he asks for "Damned soul nectar, and a coffee. Double coffee, actually, black as you can make it." When the server comes with that, he mentions that besides the drinks, he's looking to speak to the proprietor.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

A group of drow, off-duty Intersection officers by the look of them, notice 'Nadas's entrance. At least one recognizes the Xar'Cha scion. Whispers ensue.

The goblin server informs 'Nadas' that Raril is usually found in his office.

There's a strange red light from outside, and in one corner of the bar, a fight breaks out between some wiry, mousey looking men. It's less lethal than the usual barfight in the den, mostly kicking and biting and scratching, than a knife in the back. As the fight continues the men around the table grow hair and naked ringed tails, soon they've shrunk to half size, and keep going. The local wererat tribe, it seems, was being forced to transform.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

"There are benefits to remaining hidden," Kalumin says. They can't really shrug with one hand pinned to the table, but they do their best to lift their other shoulder. "Now, if you are quite done taunting, do you have any living organic needs to take care of? Sleep? Food? I need a few more hours to finish my work. And then, we can go see how useful we can be to each other." Pain also has the option of splitting off and meeting them there.

12. - Top - End - #1032

Nadas fumbles through paying for and accepting drinks with just his right hand (what's left of the left being hidden away in a pocket).
    Ugh, of course there would be drow here, watching him. Probably people he's supposed to know. Ignore them.

After gulping down the coffee, he tries to find the office without getting dragged into a ball of brawling rat-things. Why does anyone come to this bar, exactly?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Fortunately for 'Nadas' the office door is clearly marked and on the other side of the room from the brawling wererats. Now the size of oversized sewer rats, they squeak and chitter and disperse, much to the relief of the rest of the bar patrons.

Should he approach the door, 'Nadas' will hear scratching and growling sounds coming from inside. The door rattles in its frame.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #1034

Nadas goes up to the office, turns the handle, and just as he's doing so he thinks about why the door might be shaking and considers that maybe that's a mistake. Too late now.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

The door to the office bursts open and a white wolf with ruby red eyes leaps out, aiming to knock 'Nadas' to the floor and savage him. A golden collar with the sigil of House Xar'Cha emblazoned on it is afixed tight around his neck.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #1036

There is something ironically poetic about all this. Nadas is no position to appreciate it, though.

The position he is in happens to be 'on the floor, trying to keep this wolf from tearing his throat out'. That won't be long, though. He's already changing shape, the transformation spreading from the bites on his arm, black skin giving way to white fur. He throws back his head and howls, the sound becoming more and more a proper wolf's cry as it goes on.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

The Intersection drow leap to their feet when Nadas is attacked, drawing weapons.

"He's gone feral!"

"Fan out, protect the patrons. Silver load out."

"Wait, we're going to shoot them? They're Xar'Cha!"

As Nadas turns, there's recognition in the other wolf's eyes. Packmate. Ally. Son. He leaps off and faces off with the Intersection guards. They've drawn guns now, and he knows how dangerous those can be.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #1038

His newly improved sense of smell confirms what his mind hadn't quite put together. This wolf is the drow he was looking for. It's family.

This newest strain is too much for Nadas's poor robes, which are torn to shreds by the stretching and reshaping of body and bones. Oddly enough, this whole thing doesn't result in him immediately losing control and undergoing a further demonic transformation. He tries to steady himself on just three good legs, and turns towards the Intersection officers.

Whispering about him, now threatening. Enemies. No, food. Nadas's crippled front left leg doesn't stop him from lunging at the nearest drow quite effectively, jaws snapping.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

The drow hardly has time to shout a curse before going down and it's not long before he too begins to turn.

"Fire!" The leader, a drowess, orders. Shots ring out, aimed at 'Nadas' and the newly turned werewolf. Raril leaps at the lead drowess, taking a shot to the chest, but he bears her down, and she too begins to change.

This leads to a bit of a panic in the bar, as patrons rush to exit however they can, out the front door, the back, the kitchen, one even simply leaps out a window. That might be expensive to replace.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

20. - Top - End - #1040

Nadas takes a shot in the shoulder. Whatever. He wasn't using that leg anyway. The Intersection officers deserve some credit if they got their silver ammunition loaded that quickly; this really hurts. But they're already outnumbered.

He steps off of the drow he just took down, the poor guy transforming (becoming less appetizing by the second) and shot by his comrade, and does his best to sink his teeth into the leg of one that's still standing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

The last drow standing fires off a few wild shots at 'Nadas', but he's bitten and howls in pain. Soon he's transformed as well, and there's a pack of white wolves standing in the middle of the Den.

Raril stalks over to 'Nadas' and sniffs at him, inspecting his wounds. He whines a little. Was his son alright?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peppered View Post
    Back Room #4

"There are benefits to remaining hidden," Kalumin says. They can't really shrug with one hand pinned to the table, but they do their best to lift their other shoulder. "Now, if you are quite done taunting, do you have any living organic needs to take care of? Sleep? Food? I need a few more hours to finish my work. And then, we can go see how useful we can be to each other." Pain also has the option of splitting off and meeting them there.
    "I could never truly be done taunting, but I suppose an hour of sleep might help my regeneration process," she stands and goes to the wall, her palm hovering over it as she moves her hand from the head of the wall down to the feet. At first, it appears as though she isn't doing anything, but seconds later a dark, and hazy aura reveals itself several feet from the wall. She then places both her hands upon it, and rips the darkness open with her bare hands.
    Within the aura are three different fires mixing, and blending into one another. The centre is a painfully bright red, the right is a dangerously cold blue, and the left is an ominous and sinister black.

She climbs her way in then, turns to face Kalumin, and closes the aura that locks her entire body within leaving only her head exposed. "When you're ready just hit the wall beside me, and we'll begin our journey to the village," she speaks before giving one last smirk.

With that done, she beings to rest like a black cocoon that hangs high upon the wall while the aura slowly devours her head until she can no longer be seen.

Chances are that she'd have a hard time finding the village on her own since problems have always had a way of following her, and steering her off course in the past (or vice versa with her causing problems).

It might be best for her if she follows Kalumin
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-08-09 at 04:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1043

Nadas isn't glad about being shot, but it's just a flesh wound. He'll be okay in time. And between his demon blood, the healing magic he'd already worked, and newfound lycanthropy, his previously injured leg seems to be regenerating rapidly towards wholeness.

He throws back his head and howls again, a proper bone-chilling cry this time. There's no time to worry about such little hurts when the blood moon is shining! They need to be outside, under the red light, the night air, chasing down the people who fled! He makes for the doorway (hanging open after the patrons' hurried flight)
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril's limping a little from being shot at himself, the silver inflicted wounds not healing as they should, but when 'Nadas' raises the cry he answers, as do the other wolves. Quickly, they follow 'Nadas' out the door and into the streets.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

Kalumin watches the process, expressionless. They really are quite curious though. What sort of magic is that? What is the cocoon made of? Why does it help her regenerate? Is she going to emerge as a butterfly? So many questions!

If Pain really only takes an hour, then she'll awake to find them dissecting their second hand, the first one newly stitched up and looking monstrous. But if she takes until Kalumin taps the wall beside her, then she will be asleep for roughly three hours, and awake to both their hands stitched up and functioning.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peppered View Post
    Back Room #4

Kalumin watches the process, expressionless. They really are quite curious though. What sort of magic is that? What is the cocoon made of? Why does it help her regenerate? Is she going to emerge as a butterfly? So many questions!

If Pain really only takes an hour, then she'll awake to find them dissecting their second hand, the first one newly stitched up and looking monstrous. But if she takes until Kalumin taps the wall beside her, then she will be asleep for roughly three hours, and awake to both their hands stitched up and functioning.
    Back Room #4

The moment Kalumin taps on the wall the bottom of the cocoon cracks open causing Pain to slide down, and back out into the room.
    She looks down at her body, observing the movement of her arms, and fingers then down to her legs, feet and torso before she stands once more, and frowns.

"The injuries I sustained took longer to recover from than I expected."
    Based on her appearance, Pain would look more refreshed, and cleaner than she previously did.
    "My father might be growing impatient..." she thinks aloud whilst observing her body.

No wings, no tail, no foresight, no additional abilities, or dark energy? Absolutely...nothing... she concludes after noticing no special improvements.

"He will grow furious with me if I cannot complete his tasks soon. We should make our way to the village so I can get my blade wet. An offering should put him at ease."

Pain would then open her cloak to remove her the tight bandages carefully wrapped around her stomach before looking to Kalumin's hands.

"Interesting," she smirks, "are they fully functional?" she wonders.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-08-13 at 07:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

Kalumin flexes their fingers carefully. "I need to be gentle or the stitches will come undone," they confess. "When I can get the other organs of this body working, I can stimulate tissue regrowth and they will heal and become normal and fully functional. However, until then, this body does not heal and I will need to rely on the stitching." Just another thing to fix. "I do plan on finding the necromancer who did this poor a job of raising me. She will have to answer for her ineptitude."

The good part is that they at least have claws now. They did a remarkably careful job of placing them, and they extend them out now to show off to Pain. Long, sharp, nigh unbreakable... perfect. "Oh, I think we can go to the village now, yes." They walk over to the door of the room and hold it open for her. Two resurrections and still a proper gentle-person. Whenever Pain is ready, be it this post or the next, they can leave for Outside.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

"That could be troublesome, especially if you somehow sustain any damage," she speaks calmly making it hard to know whether she's truly worried, or not.

"Would the necromancer be able to aid with the organ situation?" She questions before her eyes green eyes light up slightly at of Kalumin's claws, "we'll see what those claws are capable of," she smirks before leaving as Kalumin holds the door for her, ready to wreak havoc upon the desolate village in Outside.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

Back Room #4

"Indeed. Which is part of why you are my partner. To help keep me in one piece, no? And I refuse to return to someone known for shoddy workmanship. I can continue the work myself when I have more resources."

"Now then, thanks to a few runes, I can teleport us to the village. You will need to be close for it to work though."
    They hold out a hand for Pain to take. Assuming she does, they will try to pull her closer, into a not-very-subtle embrace. Charming and charismatic, true, but the course stitches in their hands are rough and unpleasant on the skin.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Pixie in the Playground

Back Room #4

"True," Pain agrees in a solid tone.

Pain's left in an uncomfortable state when she's pulled in close by Kalumin, but for the sake of being able to teleport she is willing to allow them to violate her personal space.

Despite the roughness of their skin, Pain doesn't seem to be too bothered, likely because she's endured far worse sensations.

"What is the name of this village?" She questions as he calm green eyes look up to theirs.