New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [Pathfinder] Need some help with my Catfolk Ninja Build

http://charactersheet.co.uk/pathfind...ddde03007d8fbd

I'm trying to make this the most efficient build I can and I could really use some input.

Spoiler
    Show

36 point buy and using http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...us-progression

Level 1
    Strength 10
    Dexterity 18 (20)
    Constitution 15
    Intelligence 12
    Wisdom 10 (8)
    Charisma 16 (18)

Level 4 added +1 to con

Feats
    Level 1- Weapon Finesse
    Level 3- Slashing Grace
    Level 5-Two weapon Fighting

Bonus Feat List
    Weapon Focus Wakizashi

Ninja Tricks
    LV2 Weapon Training- Weapon Focus (Wakizashi )
    LV4 Vanishing Trick
    LV6 Fast Stealth

HP
    11 (8+1 (fav class bonus)+fort bonus 2)
    11 (8+1 (fav class bonus)+fort bonus 3)

D8 (X+1 (fav class bonus)+fort bonus 3)
    D8 (X+1 (fav class bonus)+fort bonus 3)

Since I'm using Catfolk what do you guys think would be a better build?
    Should I do a claw build? Which gives me D8 sneak attack DMG with nat weapons claws which are a D4

Should I instead of dual wielding use a single Katana so I can hit more often and probably invest in improved feint (because those ki points are going to run out eventually)

and I just realized for slashing grace that you do not gain this benefit while fighting with two weapons or using flurry of blows, or any time another hand is otherwise occupied.
    Last edited by Vulkan; 2015-08-10 at 10:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Need some help with my Catfolk Ninja Build

Unchained rogue gets dex to damage with one weapon at 3rd level, and finesse as a bonus feat. Since ninja is just an alternate class for rogue, see if your DM will apply this update. If so, you can drop slashing grace(do it anyways since you are TWF) and weapon finesse since you get them for free.

If you can't, it is okay since you still get finesse to hit and rely on sneak attacks to do the bulk of your damage. Using cat's claws and vicious claws is a fantastic. You can take catfolk exemplar to get 1d6 for claw damage +1d8. Your claws can't be disarmed, but you will need an amulet of mighty fists, so weigh that against your dual wakizashi build. One other good thing is to take nimble striker to get claw pounce, so you can charge and full attack.

Regardless, carrying a katana as a backup is not a bad idea if you can afford it. Improved initiative is always a great feat, and I personally like black cat and feline grace-YMMV.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ninjas are eligible for the Scout rogue archetype, which lets you render foes flat-footed just by charging them. Combine with Claw Pounce and you will easily do a ton of damage in most fights. (Note that it's not clear whether Scout's Charge only applies to the first hit on your pounce or all of them, but even it it doesn't it's still a pretty respectable amount of damage and you're hitting the target's flat-footed AC.)

With your claws, you have a choice to make - either going with the claws as normal, or equipping Claw Blades to turn them into manufactured weapons. This will lower your to-hit (i.e. they start to take TWF penalties), but the plus side is that you'll be able to use the TWF feat chain with them along with your iteratives, more than doubling your number of attacks if you get to take all the feats.

They also free up your neck slot from needing AoMF and can be enhanced higher (i.e. up to "+10" instead of +5.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-08-10 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, we're not relying on magic items we're using http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...us-progression which is usually used in a low magic item or no magic item campaign.

I could for the time being keep my left hand free so that way I don't suffer Dual wielding penalty since that would be a natural weapon.
    Last edited by Vulkan; 2015-08-10 at 06:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I also took traits (campaign rules)

Younger Sibling

Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on all attack rolls against foes that threaten your older sibling as well as one of the following:

You gain a +1 trait bonus on Will saving throws. (or fort but I chose will)

Now for this trait can I count "threaten" as "has attacked" or "is going to attack" big sibling? Or does it have to be like literally a threat?

Also I picked Bastard for my other trait.. Any better suggestions?

Benefit You take a –1 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks made when dealing with members of nobility but gain a +1 trait bonus on Will saves as a result of your stubbornness and individuality. (The penalty aspect of this trait is removed if you ever manage to establish yourself as a true noble.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Threaten has a specific meaning in this game. It basically means any opponent who is in melee range of your sibling.

There are lots of better traits to choose from, check out the Traits Handbook. for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkan View Post
    I also took traits (campaign rules)

Younger Sibling

Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus on all attack rolls against foes that threaten your older sibling as well as one of the following:

You gain a +1 trait bonus on Will saving throws. (or fort but I chose will)

Now for this trait can I count "threaten" as "has attacked" or "is going to attack" big sibling? Or does it have to be like literally a threat?

Also I picked Bastard for my other trait.. Any better suggestions?

Benefit You take a –1 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks made when dealing with members of nobility but gain a +1 trait bonus on Will saves as a result of your stubbornness and individuality. (The penalty aspect of this trait is removed if you ever manage to establish yourself as a true noble.)
    I'd suggest swapping bastard for something else, since trait bonuses don't stack. Or, you could switch younger sibling to fort, so you get bonuses to will and fort saves. Just my two CP.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776