New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would you play in this game? (Just curious)

Haha, yeah, I actually like this username and it's also unique (though very close in spelling to the name of Snow Crash's main character), so I see no reason to get rid of it, but it doesn't go with my actual personality.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Mythweavers!

Class, level, and ability scores from the easydamus quiz. Generally follows PF.

Taiji Training is a custom trait I made, because I'm halfway competent at internet tai chi, and it annoyed me that I couldn't apply Weapon Finesse to the jian. (Jian ~= Longsword, Dao ~= Glaive)

Houserules in play: Ernir's Speak Language (I put 1 free point in English to approximate Ernir's rule), Athletics = Jump+Climb+Swim, Survival includes Heal, wounds and vigor as per Paizo (wounds listed under HP, vigor under nonlethal).

Tentatively I'd also have Cloistered Cleric, in which case I'd have an extra rank in each Perform and 2 in Diplomacy. But it's not allowed by RAW, even though I'd allow it myself because the changes aren't mutually exclusive.

(Also, fun side note, I do plan on becoming an actual cleric later in life)
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm stuck here because I'm a Jack of All trades so Factotum would be perfect.

Except for the minor part that I'm really not that intelligent. Which means I need to figure out how I managed to gets 1s and 2s in so many skills.
    I'm not musical, at all so I couldn't be a bard.

So I'm either a Savant, an Artificer or I somehow managed to take 2 levels of Fortune's Friend without anything else.

I'd be open to playing honestly, I play D&D cause I like the freedom in it,
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Post Re: Would you play in this game? (Just curious)

I'd love the novelty of that. Maybe i'll propose it to my own group sometime.

Only downside is that with my stats and profession i'd be a wizard for sure, and i don't like full casters so much.
    Last edited by Lalliman; 2015-08-11 at 04:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    You're refreshingly honest and/or humble.
    Just doing my part in this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rubber Band View Post
    LoyalPaladin humbles us again. Damn you and your 16 Charisma.
    I might not be the most intelligent individual, but I pride myself on Loyalty and Commitment! (Hence, LoyalPaladin)
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Probably not a good idea for me PERSONALLY. Awful self-esteem means I'd like to be as distanced as possible from my actual self, please.

Plus, the only stat which could feasibly be in the positives given my weakness/clumsiness/low-pain tolerance and lack of endurance/godawful perceptiveness/overwhelming anxiety is Int, and I loathe playing Wizards. So... Psion or Beguiler? Far from my first choice in classes I'd play. I guess I could be a Warlock or Binder...

I am not a good D&D character.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Probably not a good idea for me PERSONALLY. Awful self-esteem means I'd like to be as distanced as possible from my actual self, please.

Plus, the only stat which could feasibly be in the positives given my weakness/clumsiness/low-pain tolerance and lack of endurance/godawful perceptiveness/overwhelming anxiety is Int, and I loathe playing Wizards. So... Psion or Beguiler? Far from my first choice in classes I'd play. I guess I could be a Warlock or Binder...

I am not a good D&D character.
    You can be a factotum!

Join my party, Taveena. We shall share many marry adventures together!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    You can be a factotum!

Join my party, Taveena. We shall share many marry adventures together!
    Merry. It's merry adventures. Unless you were intending to propose, in which case, carry on.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you have the players to play this in the right spirit, go for it!

We ran this exact same idea 20 years ago and it was great fun.

We made clear at the start everyone was getting the same stat array because the training behind original class levels was to be physically and mentally mapped over our own fitness and studies...the stat order was just being shuffled to best reflect the individual. No way were we having a room full of people measuring themselves against each other.

The game did get sidetracked a bit though because we had the chemistry/physics/engineering students to invent a lot of stuff....we put a stop to it before crude internal combustion engines appeared on the scene...with WW1 aircraft right behind it.

The other big thing we found was the need to role play danger, pain and death properly. We took incredibly few risks because losing half your hit points and having an arrow in your shoulder really really HURTS. (We didnt quite get to the point of the DM hitting us across the table with a stick every time we took damage but it was a very different game.)

For my build its a bit of a mess. I have backgrounds in mechanical engineering, sales, ju-jitsu, theology, psychology and construction....maybe a cloistered cleric/wizard theurge with some ranks in diplomacy, know(eng&arch), sense motive plus imp grapple? But my stats might go 13,9,13,13,13,10

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Merry. It's merry adventures. Unless you were intending to propose, in which case, carry on.
    I told you I have an 8 intelligence! Hahaha.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-08-11 at 11:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Class, level, and ability scores from the easydamus quiz. Generally follows PF.
    Well, according to this quiz, I am...

True Neutral Human Wizard (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

I want to know where you got that positive CON and STR mod from, matey. Also, the way it calculates law and chaos is a little silly (if you have 11 chaos, 10 law and 1 neutral it says you're chaotic). This means that being less lawful can make you neutral instead of chaotic, and a single question can swing you from one end to the other.

In reality, I'm probably more like:

Human, 2nd-level Expert
    Medium humanoid (human)
    2d6-2 (5 hp)
    +1
    30 ft (6 squares)
    11 (1 dex)
    +1/+0
    Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d3-1)
    Unarmed Strike +1 melee (1d3-1)
    5 ft/5 ft
    Harm (Self only) 1/day
    Human traits
    Fort -1 Ref +1 Wil +5
    Str 8 Dex 12 Con 8 Wis 14 Int 18 Cha 10
    Craft (Alchemy) +9, Heal +10, Hide +6, Knowledge (Engineering) +9, Knowledge (Nature) +9 Knowledge (Religion) +9, Move Silently +6, Perform (Oratory) +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Swim +7, Tumble +6
    Skill focus (Heal), Skill Focus (Swim)
    Cities and towns.
    Solitary
    None
    Always True Neutral
    By character class

Though, only INT is actually directly measurable, so all my stats could be wherever. I dunno.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Well, according to this quiz, I am...
    I just took the test, apparently I am:

Lawful Good Human Paladin (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 11
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 16

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

We did this about 15 years ago or so. We did GURPS Cthulu modern where we all had some "awakened" superpowers and got thrust into a Dresden-esque adventure against the supernatural horrors. The mechanics were obviously different from what the OP is doing but the basic concept was the same.

It worked out great for us. We did it as part of a group that had all known and gamed with each other for years, so I'm sure that helped everything go smoother. Dunno if I would try it with a group of strangers. It is also important to realize that you are aiming for a more heroic version of yourself, so a little leeway in the stats and skills is something to emphasize right off the bat. For example, my notoriously . . . incautious . . driving habits led me to take several skill points on Combat Driving (and none in ordinary driving). This was not a strictly true way to model myself (I've never had formal combat driving or police pursuit driving classes) but it was in the spirit of the game and what we were aiming for.

We got several fun sessions out of it. And the GM got to total my car with horrible monsters. :D

Edit - I just realized that I wrote that while waiting in line at the DMV. Heh.
    Last edited by Calimehter; 2015-08-11 at 12:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

I don't mind the concept but there's no way I could give myself an 8 in anything.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd play it, briefly. Levels 1-5, like LoyalPaladin said.

Still, I'm the sort of person with Skill Focus (Speak Language(Common)), so it'd get boring after a while. No, I'm not going to be a truenamer.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would like to do something like this but I'm not sure what base class would go for an astronomer. So I picked alienist even though it's a prestige class I'd try and expand it out and make its spells all thematic for the class.

Dan Alienist 2
    neutral

str 10
    dex 14
    con 15
    int 16
    wis 10
    cha 8

Traits Polite, absent minded
    Flaw weak willed

Feats
    Still Spell, Bonded Familar, Dash, Silent Spell

Max ranks knowledge(astronomy)
    Max ranks Concentration
    the rest divided up among the other knowledge skills

and I have my bike with me

17. - Top - End - #47

According to THAT goddamn test, I'm a level 1 wizard with every ability modifier except Con at -1. (Con is at -2). This includes intelligence.

... I would not enjoy playing what is effectively a 1 point buy Commoner with a familiar.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The difficulty in assigning classes is the reason that I made my classless D&D conversion. I never ended up running the campaign, but the basic idea was: You're playing as yourself, you may have picked up some stray magical powers (warlock invocations) in the transition to the other world, but you have no magical talent and can under no circumstances cast spells.

Still, I like the system that I built. Remove the invocations if they don't suit you, and you can ad-hoc adjustments for any type of mundane character.

I am an expert 2 with the skill spread 8/12/10/13/9/8.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

According to the survey, 5th lvl Sorcerer. NE human. I always get NE on alignment tests.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Beguiler 2 (I've mostly worked in sales, currently working in insurance/debt recovery)

Str 14 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 8 Cha 15

Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight (I have acute hearing and vision, and I often walk around my house in almost pitch darkness)

Ranks in Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Profession (?), Sense Motive and Spot.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I would, but only in a game with close friends (both for more honesty and for in-jokes). I'll just try building it here, though I don't think it can work out without direct feedback from people who know me well enough.

And... is there a class for students? Do you just translate real-life academics to arcane casters ingame? Or to skillmonkeys?
    Or something inbetween?

In that case I'd probably be (if we're talking level 2):

Expert(1) / arcane version of Adept(1)
    STR 12
    DEX 6 //-2 modifier for: shaky hands + bad hand-eye-coordination
    CON 13 //-2 modifier for: bad health (especially weak lungs)
    INT 14
    WIS 16
    CHA 10

Feats:
    "Being unusually good at smash bros even though it doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering how much I otherwise suck at anything that requires precision OR speed (let alone both)."
    More realistically, probably Education (with the exception that it does not boost any knowledge that can logically only be attained in that specific d&d world, such as that world's history and regional stuff).

Ranks in the following Skills:
    Knowledge(Computer Science), Knowledge(D&D Rules and lore), Knowledge(Metagaming: basically most of us would recognize a lot of the things and situations that can appear within a d&d world and thus avoid danger more easily)
    Ranks in other skills (such as spellcraft) would obviously only come after actually playing.

Edit:
    Well, that strange character quiz claims I'm a chaotic neutral Barbarian(1)/Sorcerer(1) with STR12, DEX9, CON11, INT13, WIS12, CHA10 so I guess the stat array is a bit generous in comparison. Also there were no questions regarding any sort of profession. Guess one can't rely on quizzes to analyze people that accurately.
    Last edited by Shoat; 2015-08-12 at 11:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Beguiler 2 (I've mostly worked in sales, currently working in insurance/debt recovery)
    Haha, that is awesome! Charm and illusion all the way.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, I'd play that.

I think I'd need a Flaw or two - I have pretty good Wisdom (can read people reasonably well, not all that susceptible to BS marketing and persuasion), but I have a massive penalty to Spot and Listen. As for which class, I work for a science journal mainly doing help desk stuff ... so as far as the scientists are concerned, I'm probably consorting with demons to get their files fixed. Expert if we're doing direct analogy; Binder otherwise.

... Aw crap, I just noticed I'm only a couple months away from aging penalties!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post

... Aw crap, I just noticed I'm only a couple months away from aging penalties!
    What!?! Only optimizers start their characters at a higher age category!
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so on to stats.

Str 12 (based on ability to carry a 40-pound kid without much difficulty)
    Dex 8 (definitely kind of klutzy)
    Con 15 (rarely get sick, long hikes are a hobby of mine)
    Int 16 (based on SAT scores and educational achievements; never actually had an IQ test)
    Wis ... guess I'd have to go with 10. Maybe I've just invested a bunch of skill points into Sense Motive, and have a high base save for Will.
    Cha 14 (theater and debate background, able to put on a decently enjoyable game as DM)

Flaw: Inattentive (-4 to Listen and Spot), modeling my hearing and vision issues.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

From easydamus' test,
    Spoiler: Just according to keikaku
    Show
    You Are A:

True Neutral Elf Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 11

I would, however, put myself more as an artificer than a wizard.

This type of game seems fun but I wouldn't play it for long stretches of time. There are lots of campaigns that run for years! I certainly wouldn't like to play myself for years

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I actually made an account for this post. So much for being the eternal lurker. Anyway, I have run a game with this as the premise three times. Given a new party, I would run it a fourth. It is a game that I would be absolutely dying to play in myself. The way I end up running it is to have the starter characters made using d20 Modern core classes and treat them as racial hit dice as far as the game is concerned.
    The core premise and hook was "If you could be anything, anything at all, what would you be? The next Tony Stark? A DnD class? A Jedi? A Maho-Tsukai? Anything." This usually involves a good chunk of homebrew/class feature swapping in order to follow through with.
    It usually gets a good response, especially when the party are all good friends who have known each other for years. And I would be happy beyond dreams to be able to play in that game.
    Also, for stats, this was a heroic game, so you had stats to match: Sort out what stats you would have as your highest two, your middle two, and your lowest two. Your array is 16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, and you get to add +4 to one of them. Why? Because if you recognize that you aren't the most charismatic person but would love to be a sorcerer, this would enable you to.
    Last edited by BearonVonMu; 2015-08-14 at 03:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BearonVonMu View Post
    I actually made an account for this post.
    Yes!
    I feel like I've accomplished something...
    Into the light brother! You shall no longer live in the shadows!

One second while I go pat myself on the shoulder.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature