New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Broken Land [IC]

Turning to the rest of the group, Akdar starts whispering quietly. "They're just rats, but they've been mutated by magic and could pose a danger. Need a remind you where we are? This land is dangerous enough with leaving potential enemies behind us in an unknown ruin. Either we ascertain they aren't aggressive, or we kill them." Turning back to Riizak, he nods and makes a cutting gesture towards his throat.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

One of the rats chitters something and pulls another piece of hardtack out of the bag. They appear to still be focused on their meal.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Noticing that the rats weren't really paying attention he takes a deep breath and starts moving toward the pair, trusting that the others would be behind him if the things attacked. He wasn't sure just how the mutations affected these creatures but their size alone was staggering in his book. Riizak keeps his shield in front of him, sword behind it for the time being, trying his best to appear nonthreatening as he moved, trying his best to remain as quiet as possible, his eyes never letting the rats leave his field of vision.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Stealth roll (1d20+2)[18] Riizak will also move to AA6 with double move of 20ft

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seeing the rats lack of reaction to Riizak's advance, Akdar shrugs and moves into the room himself. Must either be really hungry, or the magic addled their brains too much to be a threat. Doing his best to remain quiet, he passes the table and heads behind the wall across the room, looking to see what else is here.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth! (1d20)[9]

... Crap I forgot I don't have wisdom in the flesh (stealth) anymore. Decided on Desna over Irori. Dammit. Oh well. I'll head to AI 12, but I'm pretty sure that got me heard.
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2015-09-22 at 04:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolten's curiosity gets the better of him. It's better to see the thing rather than stand back and let your mind come up with something worse. He looks on as Riizak moves forward.
    Show
    Bolten moves to Z11

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Riizak doesn't make any obvious noises as he approaches the rats, but as he gets closer one of them sits back and turns in his direction anyway. It takes a few slow steps towards him, sniffing the air. Akdar is less graceful, though, his feet scuffing on the ground as he crosses the room. The other rat instantly bolts over in his direction, squeaking. Its movement is oddly clumsy and halting, probably due to a visibly malformed front leg.

Peering around the corner, Akdar sees a kitchen area separated from the refectory by a thin stone wall. Any food in the kitchen is long since gone, destroyed by time or vermin ages ago. It does have an inhabitant, though, another large rat lying in the middle of the floor. This one doesn't seem to be a mutant, although it is obviously unwell.

Show
    Map updated. I'm assuming that Adisse and Wisteria just maintain about the same relative position as they have been.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

The rat's approach put Riizak into defense mode. He wasn't too sure until he saw the second rat turn and 'bolt' toward Akdar. He raps his sword against the shield in hopes that his companion will hear it as much as it would distract the other rodent long enough for Akdar to defend himself. He stands his ground waiting to see what this other rat would do that was in front of him.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Riizak will ready an action to attack the rat in front of him and use his move action to alert Akdar to the potential threat if possible
    Last edited by Chaltah; 2015-09-22 at 05:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing a rat moving towards Akdar, Adisse chooses to intercept it before it can try anything. She drops the pebble, grips her sword tightly, and strides up to the rat, maneuvering around the table. Once there, she channels magic into her sword, then strikes.

Show

Free action to drop the pebble
    Free action to switch to a two-handed grip
    Move action to AE12
    Swift action to activate Arcane Strike for +1 damage and overcoming DR/magic
    Standard action to attack with her longsword. If (1d20+4)[17](17) hits, she deals (1d8+7)[11] damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Seriously though. I just don't want to see another setting with the same uninspiring oatmeal polytheism blend.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Seeing the rat stumble towards him, Akdar swears quietly to himself and reflexively casts the defensive spell he had prepared for the day, hoping its ward would keep him safe from the rat. Only after he's finished casting it and the barrier was in place did he realize he had channeled the energy from that spell to hearl Riizak from his fall. "How in Desna's name..." he mutters before shrugging and moving towards the rat. The sanctuary effect appeared to be working just fine, so he might as well help Adisse.

Show
    Using a point of mythic power to cast Sanctuary on myself, should last for 3 rounds. Moving to AG12

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Adisse closes easily with the rat. While its hide is oddly thick and tough for such a creature, it isn't terribly quick to react, and she is easily able to stab through its torso. The rat is grievously injured, but manages to snap at her one more time before it slumps to the ground, bleeding out.

The other mutant rat leaps at Riizak, biting ferociously and swatting at him with one oversized paw.

As this goes on, another rat moves out from the kitchen area towards Akdar. It starts to bite at him, then hesitates as the defensive spell attempts to keep its aggression at bay. Perhaps its mind is too simple or too hungry for the magic to work on it, though, because it manages to continue the attack.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Bite at Adisse: (1d20+1)[4]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[5]

Bite at Riizak: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[2]

Slam at Riizak: (1d20+1)[4]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[2]

Bite at Akdar: (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: [roll]1d4[/roll

Show
    So the rat made its save against the sanctuary effect, to the surprise of everyone including the rat. The one that Adisse hit was reduced to 0 HP, nice job hitting the target head-on there; when it bit you it dropped to -1 and started dying. Adisse does notice that her sword isn't cutting as deeply as she would expect (it's got DR and Arcane Strike isn't getting through it).

Riizak's readied action does take place before the rat's attacks, and obviously if he kills it those attacks are null and void.

Other than that, it is now your turn again. Map has been updated.

11. - Top - End - #191

The rat's bite doesn't come anywhere near Adisse, and it drops before it gets a second chance. Adisse notices the new rat going for Akdar 'Another?' and moves up next to Akdar. She channels magic into her sword once more, and slashes at the critter, hoping this be a bit less durable.

Show

Move action to AG11
    Standard action to attack with her longsword. If (1d20+4)[24] hits, she deals (1d8+7)[14] damage.
    Seriously though. I just don't want to see another setting with the same uninspiring oatmeal polytheism blend.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

As the rat closed Riizak strikes out at the rat as it closes, its teeth coming nowhere near him, and he calls out to the others "Move swift friends. Strike them down" as he said this, he could almost feel that his words had more power than normal as he looked toward Akdar and Adisse wishing he could give them more aid.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Riizak is using his Marshal's order 'advance' to give his allies an extra 5 or 30 feet of movement that doesn't count toward their move action. (1d20+3)[15] to hit the rat. (1d6+1)[4] if it hits

13. - Top - End - #193

The first few seconds of the battle go too fast for Bolten to react. Eventually, however, he snaps out of it and moves forward to help Riizak. Bolten swings his trusty hammer at the rat.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Bolten moves to AC6
    A: (1d20+2)[8]
    D: (1d8+1)[8]
    C: (1d20+2)[12]
    CD: (2d8+2)[9]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I shouldn't have been able to cast that. How did I cast that? I... Lady Desna must have smiled upon me this day. Snapping out of his confused train of thought by Adisse skewering the second rat, he bows briefly to the young bard. "Thank you for your assistance, Adisse. Your skill with the blade is evident, and greatly to my benefit today." Turning his attention to his allies, he decides a single rat is unlikely to be a major threat to them and heads towards the bag they had been feeding on to see if anything could be salvaged.

Show
    Move to AD 3. Also, cast detect magic and try and cover as much of the room as possible with it. I can get there and cast during this combat round due to advance. I should also have one round remaining on my sanctuary.
    Last edited by TheOneHawk; 2015-09-23 at 09:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Adisse easily skewers the rat through the heart and it drops to the ground, instantly dead. The other rat is proving more difficult, though; it slips aside from Bolten's hammer, and Riizak's sword glances uselessly off its hide. It then continues to thrash and flail, biting and swatting.

Show
    Bite against Riizak: (1d20+1)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[2]
    Critical damage: (1d4+1)[3]

Slam against Bolten: (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[17]
    Critical damage: (1d3+1)[4]

Spoiler: Akdar
    Show
    You don't detect any magical auras in the area. Looking at the bag, it seems like most of the contents have been spoiled or ravaged by the rodents, but you could probably sift out a handful of usable items given a chance.

16. - Top - End - #196

Luckily, the rat's clumsy striking fails to harm even the unarmored dwarf. Bolten swings again at the mutant.
    Show
    A: (1d20+2)[8]
    D: (1d8+1)[2]
    C: (1d20+2)[8]
    CD: (2d8+2)[6]

17. - Top - End - #197

"Thanks!" Adisse replies, before moving on to help the others, spurred by Riizak's words. She attacks this rat as she did the others, seeing no reason to abandon an approach that was bearing such good results.

Show

Two Move actions (one from Riizak's Advance) to AC4, flanking with Riizak
    Standard action to attack with her longsword. If (1d20+6)[12] hits, she deals (1d8+7)[13] damage.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Riizak manages to keep the rat's bite from striking and smiles as Adisse comes to his aid, providing some flanking for him. He tries to make it work to his advantage and takes another swing at the rat with his sword, not bothering to move himself since he had a strategic position.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Riizak will strike at the rat once more
    Attack: (1d20+5)[18] for flanking. if it misses I will use a surge to try and and improve my hit
    Surge: (1d6)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Crit: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Akdar looks up at the continuing fight with concern. "Do you require assistance? I have no additional spells prepared that I feel would be useful here, I apologise."

Show
    Yeah, I'm basically just skipping turn. Akdar will keep looking through the bag for salvage.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

None of your attacks really seem to be doing much to the rat. Riizak manages to connect, but can't seem to cut through its hide. The rat continues to writhe frantically, frothing at the mouth as it bites and swings at you.
    Show
    Bite against Riizak: (1d20+1)[21]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[4]
    Critical damage: (1d4+1)[2]

Slam against Adisse: (1d20+1)[15]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[6]
    Critical damage: (1d3+1)[2]

Show
    I'll go through what you find in the bag after the combat's over, since it would probably take at least a couple of rounds to sort through the contents and find anything useful.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

The rat somehow managed to get its teeth into him, the kobold wincing in pain as he felt the teeth find purchase. He swings again, to try and cut into its hide again "I think we can handle this Akdar. It's just tougher than i would have imagined a rat to be"

Spoiler: Attack the rat
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]
    Crit: (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

22. - Top - End - #202

"Oof!" Adisse exclaims as the rat's oversized paws slams into her. She slashes at it, enchanting her sword once more.

Show
    Standard action to attack with her longsword. If (1d20+6)[7] hits, she deals (1d8+7)[10] damage.

23. - Top - End - #203

Show
    I'm just going to bite the bullet here.

Seeing that the rat is starting to inflict injuries, Bolten makes the difficult decision to expend one of the spells he had been saving. Bolten reaches for the rat, the familiar feeling of electricity crackling between his fingertips.
    Show
    Melee Touch Attack: (1d20+1)[7]
    (1d6)[1] electric damage

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ceasing his rummaging in the pack, Akdar looks over at the continuing combat worriedly. "Should we perhaps retreat? Are we overmatched? I do not claim to know much of combat but I do believe we are losing."

Show
    Yeah, just skipping. Please someone roll something decent.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

The party continues to assault the rat, even using magic against it, but their increasingly flustered attacks come nowhere near to actually hurting it. Meanwhile, the rat continues to thrash and bite, not seeming the least bit inclined to retreat.

Show
    Bite against Bolten: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[4]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[2]
    Critical damage: (1d4+1)[4]

Slam against Riizak: (1d20+1)[4]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+1)[19]
    Critical damage: (1d3+1)[4]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Riizak growls in frustration as this abomination refused to take a hit and swings again, trying to at least cut into this thing and make it bleed.

Spoiler: Attack the rat (take 4)
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]
    Crit: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

27. - Top - End - #207

Adisse swings at the damnable rat again, not even bothering with magic this time.

Show

Standard action to attack with her longsword. (1d20+6)[17].
    I'm considering using Surge or Fleet Charge, so won't roll damage yet; other rolls will be made in the OOC thread.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Adisse's sword finally manages to connect with the rat, splitting its skull wide open. The creature twitches a few times and then dies, collapsing in a pool of foul-smelling blood.

Show
    Much of the bag's contents are ravaged and worthless, but you manage to sort out the following usable equipment:
    2 masterwork daggers
    2 units of trail rations
    7 doses of black powder
    50 feet of silk rope
    3 sapphires
    2 stones of an unusual yellow-green color
    125 copper pieces
    65 silver pieces
    50 gold pieces

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

"Truly, masters of combat, every one of you," Wisteria says wryly. It's clear why she didn't take part - her hand is still held in the same spellform as before, so she's maintaining it, "What's in the bag?"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Riizak was ever so glad that mess was over and vowed to improve his skills with the weapon in hand. He couldn't risk not being able even to strike down the most simple of creatures like this. Gazing from the dead rat to Adisse he he gives her a toothy smile and nods "Thanks. This rats hide was tougher than I expected" at Wisteria's comment the kobold just sighs and walks over to Akdar to see what he managed to rifle from the pack. He didn't see much there that would be useful to him but it was a lot of items they could use along the way. "Did you see anything worth while on the other side of the wall?" Riizak asks as he points toward the kitchen area.