New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Crowd fund Minas Tirith!

Some dreamers are hoping to build a full size Minas Tirith in England - and you could live there! Or at least take a holiday there. Or just visit. Or just fund it and get your name on a wall of fame.

Give 'em a few quid. It'd be tragic if this missed its massive target.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crowd fund Minas Tirith!

Have you seen the target goal? 1.8 BILLION pounds!

I am PRETTY sure there is no way in hell this is going to get funded, it's literally thirty times the total amount of the most sucessful crowd-funding project ever (Starciizen's ASTONISHING 87 million DOLLARS). Hell, it's the same as the box office revenuve for the entire LotR trilogy WOLRDWIDE!

In fact, if it DID get funded, I'd be a little concerned about the project's viability, since I'm 95% certain it's them having a bit of a laugh. Either that or wishful thinking.

I mean credit for effort, but even as joke it's little too incredulous.

Except for apparently the people that have stumped up £10000 so far. (Not even 1%..)

The mind boggles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I'm 95% certain it's them having a bit of a laugh. Either that or wishful thinking.
    Doesn't Indiegogo let you keep the money if the project fails?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Doesn't Indiegogo let you keep the money if the project fails?
    Only on "flexible funding" projects.
    This one appears to be fixed funding.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Only on "flexible funding" projects.
    This one appears to be fixed funding.
    And the first thing it says in big bold letters is that if it doesn't fly, no money is taken out, to be fair.

Which says either "bit of a joke but they are perhaps prepard to take it seriously if they DO get the money" or "in deadly earnest, but a bit niave."
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2015-08-13 at 11:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel more like the massive price tag says that they know EXACTLY what their costs will be - which suggests they know what they're doing.
    Me? I pledged my 50 quid. #FingersCrossed

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Only if I get to build a full sized Mordor.

8. - Top - End - #8

Is there even a mountain like Mount Mindolluin in England, or are they planning to build that, too?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I just cant believe there is actual space in england to build an entire mountain city. I mean, I only skimmed the info, but it looks like they intend this to be a fully functional city as well. With people living there and everything.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Why don't you spend money on, I don't know, charitable social welfare projects?

Actually, this reminds me of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One where uber-rich characters make Rivendell somewhere in Oregon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't help but think Whatever two locations they have supposedly picked out would be rather troubling to the Professor. Assuming they are selecting any landscape remotely similar to the films, it would mean the destruction of a vast part of the English countryside for a vanity project. The loss of which Tolkien was already mourning decades ago.

12. - Top - End - #12

I wish they were more specific than "Southern England" because that's too vague to work out if I could commute from there or not

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I can't help but think Whatever two locations they have supposedly picked out would be rather troubling to the Professor. Assuming they are selecting any landscape remotely similar to the films, it would mean the destruction of a vast part of the English countryside for a vanity project. The loss of which Tolkien was already mourning decades ago.
    Maybe, in deference to Prof. Tolkien's feelings, they should build Barad-Dûr instead.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Why don't you spend money on, I don't know, charitable social welfare projects?
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Agreed on both statements. I'd rather 1.8 million pounds be spent on something that actually contributes to society.
    LGBTitp

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    I feel more like the massive price tag says that they know EXACTLY what their costs will be - which suggests they know what they're doing.
    Me? I pledged my 50 quid. #FingersCrossed
    It is easy to come up with massive price tags for things without really putting thought into what they should cost. If I said that I needed to build 5000 buildings, and each needed to be 2000 square feet (40 x 50 ft) and 10 ft tall, I could quickly arrive at the number of bricks I would need to build Minas Tirith. I need 1800 * 5000 = 9000000 ft2 of walls. Bricks are 2" by 5", so I need 129,600,000 bricks. Bricks cost about $1 each. A dollar is about a pound. Hmmm, Maybe I need more and bigger buildings (or I need more features than bricks to build a city).

As you can see, garbage in gives garbage out. It doesn't matter that I can come up with numbers, it matters that I can come up with the right numbers. I don't think this is going to be built short of some eccentric billionaire pledging most of the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Agreed on both statements. I'd rather 1.8 million pounds be spent on something that actually contributes to society.
    Billion. It's 1.8 billion pounds.

I could actually see myself contributing if it was $1.8 million pounds, and it was just, like, a really big slide that looked like Minas Tirith. Or even a Mines of Moria-themed haunted house. (Actually, that would probably be pretty cool.)
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-08-14 at 12:30 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

What an utter waste of money, given everything else in this world that needs doing. The Professor would be appalled.

As much as I love Middle-Earth, I can't conceive contributing to a project like this. Minas Tirith lives in the imagination, where it was meant to be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    What an utter waste of money, given everything else in this world that needs doing. The Professor would be appalled.
    Indeed. If you want to do something useful and true to Tolkien, get together, buy some land, and plant trees.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kind of surprised that someone wants to built this in England and not New Zealand.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Kind of surprised that someone wants to built this in England and not New Zealand.
    I mean, England was Tolkien's home and he was a lecturer at Leeds university for a while. And you can definitely find parts of England that are like the Shire in pretty much every way.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Saturation. New Zealand already has the Shire. Why should they get a monopoly simply because it filmed there?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mrc. View Post
    I mean, England was Tolkien's home and he was a lecturer at Leeds university for a while. And you can definitely find parts of England that are like the Shire in pretty much every way.
    Less so these days. The parts of England most like the Shire (i.e. the south-central and south-east) are also the most densely populated and thus the least available for rural idylls. Even in places like the Cotswolds it's hard to find spaces of more than a few fields where you can convince yourself you're not living in at the very least a mid-20th century post-industrial society. And that's if you can ignore the planes overhead. We've become very good as a country at ignoring the creep of urbanisation, but if you can turn off those blinders it really is amazing how "spoiled" England has become.

In the Midlands and the North and East Anglia it's easier to find places more removed and more rural, but the landscape is all wrong. Usually the weather too. Maybe the best bet is somewhere in the deep West Country.

It's one of the reasons that rural dramas set in historic England or faux-England are these days relatively rarely actually filmed in England: England just doesn't look like "England" any more. There are parts of Ireland that might pass; South Africa has been used; New Zealand is a reasonable substitute, if rather remote. But it's hard to find anywhere suitable in England and if you can, it's usually either chokka with film crews already or part of a national park, so not all that suitable for building a fantasy city.

I'm inclined to agree with the general tenor of this thread that this is a silly project. I will add the caveat though that England does desperately need more housing, with more new towns and cities planned, so if they are to be built (and short of major population curtailment they should be) I'd rather Minas Tirith than Milton Keynes. That still doesn't make this specific one worthwhile, of course.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-08-17 at 05:32 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)