New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Lol,I like how every sports anime sounds suspiciously like kuroko basketball. Try one outs. It's a baseball anime, but with an antihero protagonist.
    I don't know if that's supposed to be a dig at my experience with sports anime, but KnB is far from the only source I'm working with. (One Outs is on my plan-to-watch, though.)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    *scratches out "bros" and writes in "jou"*

I think Hikaru no Go is probably the closest thing to a sport anime I've watched.

Are sports anime like a subset of slice of life in most cases? Or are they usually more focused on the sport? ...Or does it depend on the anime. I've never really looked at them before cause I'm not that into watching sports...unless there are some for the more martial ones (fencing/kendo/archery/tankery apparently)
    Lethologica's summary is pretty accurate. I don't like sports stories either, and as such, I'd also recommend Ping Pong if you want to see what a less tanky one looks like, as it's absolutely brilliant despite being a sports story rather than because of it.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've never really looked at them before cause I'm not that into watching sports...unless there are some for the more martial ones (fencing/kendo/archery/tankery apparently)
    Bamboo Blade is a fun kendo anime. Very much a sports anime rather than a action series despite having lots of fencing and the heroine's skills being improbable. Most fencing anime on the other hand are action series with too much fighting outside of competitions and competitions that are implausibly like gladiatorial matches.

Hajime no Ippo is probably the best combat sports (boxing) series, but is super super long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post

Hikaru no Go could have been a sports anime--Hikaru is a lot like a sports anime protagonist--but it's (a) obsessed with depicting Go in a realistic way and (b) ultimately a ghost story, both of which are good things IMO.
    Plenty of sports anime are as realistic as Hikago. Abilities that are effectively super powers aren't necessary for the genre at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ghost thing isn't that important to the end of the series, so its not 'ultimately' a ghost story in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    I don't think it's really shounen (except for that one match with Ide, and in that case the roles were reversed and the MC was the smart technical one).
    Its in a shonen magazine, there's no other sensible definition of shonen. Manga don't really have demographics, the publications they're contained in do. This isn't a practical difference most of the time but is why using shonen as a genre in any sense is unhelpful.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-10-15 at 05:22 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #274

I think Hikaru no Go is probably the closest thing to a sport anime I've watched.
    What, not Girls und Panzer? :P

By the way, I forget whether it was mentioned before, but looking at that list I note that Time of Eve is shorter than anything else - just six 20-30 minute episodes. You could fit it in to a "movie" timeslot rather than having to watch it as a series, if necessary (indeed, IIRC there is a movie-length edit available). Just something that may be relevant to deciding when to watch it.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Plenty of sports anime are as realistic as Hikago. Abilities that are effectively super powers aren't necessary for the genre at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ghost thing isn't that important to the end of the series, so its not 'ultimately' a ghost story in any way.
    I don't mean the superpowers or lack thereof. Captain Tsubasa doesn't have superpowers and is a quintessential sports anime. But Hikaru no Go is a lot more interested in depicting all the ways Go is played in modern society than in the outcome of any particular competition (though it does take a break from that to zero in on the pro exam). The overall focus is different.

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh? The anime is definitely a ghost story. That's why it ends when Hikaru comes to terms with Sai's disappearance and returns to the game, with the Hokuto Cup qualifiers as an afterthought that isn't even part of the series proper. The manga keeps things going a while longer with the Hokuto Cup as the climax, and I honestly think that was a mistake, but an argument can be made that it isn't really a ghost story.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2015-10-15 at 01:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    What, not Girls und Panzer? :P

By the way, I forget whether it was mentioned before, but looking at that list I note that Time of Eve is shorter than anything else - just six 20-30 minute episodes. You could fit it in to a "movie" timeslot rather than having to watch it as a series, if necessary (indeed, IIRC there is a movie-length edit available). Just something that may be relevant to deciding when to watch it.
    I kind of referenced it later though not directly, the guy said the same that Girls und Panzer was definitely probably a sports anime too when I was talking to him about the conversation here.

I don't think it's necessarily bad if sports anime tend to follow a similar pattern, it sounds like the easiest way to generate drama/story within the framework of sports. And it's kind of the same pattern for just about every American movie about sports other than like...The Sandlot.

I'll mark Time of Eve as movie sized if mashed together, we could watch it over the weekend sometime for a chance of pace.

Spoiler: Hikaru no Go
    Show

I feel Hikaru no Go could be qualified as a ghost story, though not a typical one. I can't remember very much of it because I watched it quite a long time ago, but it was as much about the MC's interactions with the Ghost as the learning to play Go and becoming quite good at it independent of his Go master ghost friend right? It can certainly be both a ghost story and a sports/club anime.

In a way Hikaru no Go felt more earth compared to most anime for the most part to me, and that's kind of funny.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh? The anime is definitely a ghost story. That's why it ends when Hikaru comes to terms with Sai's disappearance and returns to the game, with the Hokuto Cup qualifiers as an afterthought that isn't even part of the series proper. The manga keeps things going a while longer with the Hokuto Cup as the climax, and I honestly think that was a mistake, but an argument can be made that it isn't really a ghost story.
    The extra episodes/specials finish most of the manga plot, so I don't count the end of the initial broadcast as the end of the anime.

I was merely taking issue with the word 'ultimate', not that it was a ghost story. I don't think the core of Hikaru no Go is the ghost story. Like most sports manga, its ultimately about growing up. The ghost is just one of the important characters.

If someone asked me 'recommend me a ghost story' I wouldn't immediately jump to think of Hikaru no Go. If someone asked for sports or growing up stories I might.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-10-17 at 10:13 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

8. - Top - End - #278

Oh god, third episode of young black jack. Those two anti-war activist are the worst people ever, and that's not even hyperbole, that if the series doesn't make vietnam war proponents shoot puppies in the next couple of episodes, I'll accuse this series to be biased toward the government.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

We finished Hanayamata the other day, and got started on Read or Die tonight.

And things sure did escalate quickly, which is good cause it was kind of a dull start.

10. - Top - End - #280

Damn. Iron-blooded Orphans got real fast.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

11. - Top - End - #281

Flumph

Oh yeah. I mean it started out with its flag seriously planted in the Serious Business camp, and the signs are pretty clear that Mikazuki is a broken shell of a human being who other psychopaths would ask to steady on a bit..

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Oh yeah. I mean it started out with its flag seriously planted in the Serious Business camp, and the signs are pretty clear that Mikazuki is a broken shell of a human being who other psychopaths would ask to steady on a bit..
    I'm totally with you there. I just wasn't expecting it to get quite this dark.
    Spoiler: Episode 3
    Show

I will say, though, I'm really appreciating the attention to detail in the guns.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #283

Flumph

Well yeah, but the series has gone three episodes and we've already had child soldiers treated with contempt by their commanders and then sacrificed to allow said commanders to flee the battle.

This is not a happy little war...

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

While I was mildly skeptical of R.O.D the TV, I'm really enjoying it now, we watched episode 4 last night.

I especially like how it sometimes juxtaposes weird and sometimes crazy behavior with more "normal" seeming reactions.

Like when Anita does a spit take, and someone off screen doesn't let it pass without a "That's disgusting!"

I am starting to feel a bit antsy with it though even if I'm enjoying it. I suspect the plot might pick up in the next episode or two, or I hope it does anyway.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I'm currently reading Part IV - Diamond is Unbreakable, and the first three parts are just too good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thought I fear Old Jotaro being another Speedwagon, just as Joseph did
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

16. - Top - End - #286

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Well yeah, but the series has gone three episodes and we've already had child soldiers treated with contempt by their commanders and then sacrificed to allow said commanders to flee the battle.

This is not a happy little war...
    Most wars are not happy. And Gundam has most often been a show depicting this well. But here... yeah, even without using the gore some other shows seem to feel is required they make a very good point about what happens when you force kids to be soldiers. I guess here and there the jokes clash a bit with the serious tone, but overall... whelp, that might turn out to be the darkest Gundam we've seen so far.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #288

And in other new show news: the story of a quartet of classical statues trying to become idols. As in, they're inanimate marble statues. As in, they want to sing and dance. And they're surprisingly well-voiced.

This has been a weird day.

19. - Top - End - #289

The author must've been plastered when he wrote that
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

So I binged my way through the Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches manga, up to the current chapter (179).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sort of a mixed bag. My main impression is that Shiraishi got sidelined hard once they were officially a couple. Given that several new characters with a thing for Yamada were then introduced, I get the impression the artist wasn't happy to write a successful relationship and wanted to contrive reasons to keep writing awkward kids being terrible at flirting with each other. That kind of character stasis usually puts me off comedies, so I hope the manga overcomes it. It's nice that Yamada's been consistently faithful to Shiraishi rather than being a generic harem protagonist, but I actually like her character and would like to see more of her. And this isn't just because she was let down that he didn't use the Dominate power to give her any weird orders...

The other major issue I have with it is that the rules for the witches, and especially the seventh witch, have become vague enough that at this point it's basically just "strap in and go with the flow". Memory manipulation and memory erasure and some kind of automatic-forgetting field, and apparently an ability to wipe the whole school's memories, and all the bonus stuff with witch detection and tracking and... and two parallel groups of witches with only one (apparently) known to the student council, which undermines the idea that it's super important for them to have the witches under control... and I'm not sure they established at any point whether the time-travel ability affected the memories of the people it's used on, so that e.g. Shiraishi remembers Yamada appearing out of nowhere and disappearing after kissing her that one time, which is something you'd think it'd be important to confirm...

And yet for all its issues I'm still enjoying reading it. It's got heart, I guess. Heart and fanservice. Those can go a long way.

Let's just have more Shiraishi, and more Ito and Tsuaki too. And less Noa.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: ROD the TV
    Show

Please tell me this anime isn't about to go all Evangelion on me, between the sephirothic tables, the talk of ego, and remaking/saving the world I'm getting suspicious. (I think we're on episode 10? Where they go back to Hong Kong, and then the book collecting people kidnap Nenene)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: The Perfect Insider
    Show
    Okay. These are my guesses and I promise I have not read any of the source material so I am working with the first three episodes only. But I am currently going to have to say Dr Makata Shiki (13 years old) was pregnant when she was imprisoned and designed the system so that her child would have a chance to escape when ready. The ending of the episode hints at her losing her virginity, and the previous episode was pretty explicit about her trying to seduce the old man. As convoluted as this would be, it would explain how someone other than Dr Shiki could have been in the room to cut off her arms and legs despite the door not having been traversed by anyone.

On a more obvious note, whoever was in there came out with the doctor using the same platform but hiding underneath the gown. Everyone seems to be focusing on how strange the gown is but I would imagine such an obvious twist will be revealed by next episode. Likely it will also lead them to consider how small the person would have to be. A 15-year old would do well.

Besides the things mentioned above, there is also all that talk about Nishinosono's parents and Dr Makata having murdered hers. I think succession and parenthood are going to be major themes, and this would fit in with that. I have no idea how Shiki's younger sister and the male lead fit into all this, though. Unless the latter is simply an observer who is going to expose things without having been involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: ROD the TV
    Show

Please tell me this anime isn't about to go all Evangelion on me, between the sephirothic tables, the talk of ego, and remaking/saving the world I'm getting suspicious. (I think we're on episode 10? Where they go back to Hong Kong, and then the book collecting people kidnap Nenene)

Spoiler: Spoilered in response to spoilers tag, not because there are actual plot spoilers
    Show

A little bit. I remember the ultimate plan being mind-screwy enough that I didn't really like it as a plot driver, and weird enough that I don't actually remember what the overall plan was. However, it's definitely nowhere near as crazy as Eva, however, and from that description you're about to get into a fantastic set of episodes.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilered in response to spoilers tag, not because there are actual plot spoilers
    Show

A little bit. I remember the ultimate plan being mind-screwy enough that I didn't really like it as a plot driver, and weird enough that I don't actually remember what the overall plan was. However, it's definitely nowhere near as crazy as Eva, however, and from that description you're about to get into a fantastic set of episodes.

Spoiler: also not really spoilers but dumping them in a tag anyway just in case
    Show

That's good to know, Eva is something I should have never ever ever watched.

I guess it was just a popular thing back then, they're from about the same time.

On occasion I get some very old CLAMP like feels from ROD and I really like that, especially when Maggie is doing something with her familiars. I really love the familiar designs in general too. I don't like CLAMPS new stuff as much, so getting a bit of it from ROD is nice.

25. - Top - End - #295

Eeee! New Macross!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYSOueT554

Time for more love triangles, missile spam, and (hopefully) good J-Pop!

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I'd argue more for "stoned", myself.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Eeee! New Macross!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYSOueT554

Time for more love triangles, missile spam, and (hopefully) good J-Pop!
    *look at signature*

I might be into that.
    Last edited by Fri; 2015-10-29 at 01:03 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Also, didn't somebody do a "Let's Read Muv-Luv" a while back? They're Kickstarting an official translation now
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

29. - Top - End - #299

30. - Top - End - #300

I guess it was just a popular thing back then, they're from about the same time.
    Not especially the same time. One is 1995-6 and the other is 2003-4.

The second half of Read or Die tv doesn't make much sense without the OVA but that's more in character back-stories than in actual plot, which more or less makes sense from a narrative point of view (the villain's actual plan is a little over-complicated but the plot is pretty much just 'stop the villain's plan').

In both cases any confusing elements are basically just noise that isn't that important to the real story structure which is mostly just character development.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-11-02 at 02:27 PM.