New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Huh I didn't know that anyone considered the two personality thing as uncertain. But that might be because I read translations first before later watching the adaption and I think in the text it was clear enough.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Huh I didn't know that anyone considered the two personality thing as uncertain. But that might be because I read translations first before later watching the adaption and I think in the text it was clear enough.
    Apparently, HMS does. Though I guess I should've quoted that post to make it clearer who I was addressing that towards.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #93

Sorry for the double post, but, well, I just watched today's episode of Gakkou Gurashi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything...everything is gonna be daijoubu, right? Right? *sob*

I have a quote!
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but, well, I just watched today's episode of Gakkou Gurashi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything...everything is gonna be daijoubu, right? Right? *sob*
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as I saw that the opening had changed to Taroumaru running by himself, I knew he was toast.

The rest of it though...yikes. Next week can't come soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #95

RedWizardGuy

Apparently, HMS does. Though I guess I should've quoted that post to make it clearer who I was addressing that towards.
    I'm not saying it's not canon, I'm saying it's stupid that it is canon.

Also, yes, the feels are hitting hard in the school living club. =.=

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post

Also, yes, the feels are hitting hard in the school living club. =.=
    I guess I misunderstood this statement then.
    Whether or not you buy the two personalities in one body mumbo jumbo is separate from that.
    You calling it mumbo jumbo made it seem like you didn't believe it. I wholeheartedly disagree with you, but my apologies for the misunderstanding nonetheless.

And yeah, it's starting to rain a little bit. Haven't felt gutpunched like this since Yu3, and right now I would totally accept that level of unexplained happy endings.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-09-10 at 09:26 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

SHIKI being dead is the entire reason why Shiki has the Mystic Eyes, so I'm not sure what you think the "canon" would even be without him.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #98

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    SHIKI being dead is the entire reason why Shiki has the Mystic Eyes, so I'm not sure what you think the "canon" would even be without him.
    There's any number of reasons why a protagonist could get special powers, split personality is one of the poorer ones. The canon would be the exact same, it would just be character development instead of split personality. Hell, the being hit by a car + coma would be a great reason to change and explain the mystic eyes.

In other news, Gate anime is delayed til Saturday. =|

9. - Top - End - #99

Goddamn it, next episode is last Shokugeki no Soma episode? If it can continue with this kind of fun and tension, I want it to continue for another whole season!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Goddamn it, next episode is last Shokugeki no Soma episode? If it can continue with this kind of fun and tension, I want it to continue for another whole season!
    Fellow Shokugeki no Soma fan!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Nooooo, it can't be true! Though, they were considerably more fan servicy that last episode... Oh well, maybe I really have to read the manga after this......

btw, having gone back and rewatched Daiguard I've come to realise how shamelessly Pacific Rim ripped the show off
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    btw, having gone back and rewatched Daiguard I've come to realise how shamelessly Pacific Rim ripped the show off
    Um, of course it did? Pacific Rim is basically del Toro's love letter to mecha anime and kaiju films.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

Rokka no Yuusha is building to a fine finish. I look forward to the blurays and hopefully a second season.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Colossus in the Playground

And also, it seemed to me that a lot of the... eh, I can't quite think of the phrase, but it's something similar to intrapersonal conflict, took place because Shiki wanted to be a killer but was never quiiiite able to, whether because of outside interference or because of her own strange sense of right and wrong.

Oh, and another thing. The split personality stuff is not, in fact, mumbo jumbo to be believed or not. It is a confirmed part of the Kara no Kyoukai canon that many of the Ryougi's have the ability to create a second personality within themselves, and that trait determines the next family head.
    Spoiler: KnK
    Show
    Touko puts it pretty well during the Fujino/Ryougi fight: "Shiki has a taste for murder, but she still subconsciously understands how serious death is." The whole story, from Shiki's lines, it's pretty obvious she's looking for someone she can kill (she even comments on it when she meets Fujino earlier but decides she can't kill her as she is at that point). Even in the fight against Souren, she states she should be laughing happily at the thought of them having fun trying to kill each other (but in that case she apparently dislikes Souren enough that she can't draw enjoyment from it). Then Ryougi tells Fujino "The way you are now, I can kill you" in their fight. Lio is someone she tries to not kill; trying to turn a new leaf for Kokutou or so. But obviously that doesn't work and Kokutou only accomplishes maiming himself and hurting Ryougi in trying to stop her - Shirazumi dies in the end anyways.

The concepts of "killing", "murder", "massacre" and the "slippery slope" are something the story plays a lot on and I actually find it quite interesting on a philosophical level. Fujino's case, for instance, is all about having to kill to survive and then first murdering out of revenge because someone escaped, but then losing the individuality of targets she's killing and beginning to massacre instead (and according to Aozaki, that sits wrong with Ryougi as she sees no justification for something so mindless). Then there's the lecture Kokutou has for Shirazumi about how he's killed but is unable to become a true murderer; rather just escaping himself, unsuccessfully. Shiki's father presents the idea that a person can only truly kill once: those who live with the guilt from killing can no longer be considered human. Associated is the idea that a human has to save that one kill to kill themselves for a peaceful death.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: School Live! 1
    Show
    So, I knew this was a show about a zombie apocalypse, a bit of a genre swerve.

I was not prepared for the way it happened, though. I was expecting the zompocalypse to happen sometime during the episode. But to have it already having happened, and the whole cute school thing as Yuki's delusions? HOLY SMOKES.

That was intense.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Um, of course it did? Pacific Rim is basically del Toro's love letter to mecha anime and kaiju films.
    But not all of them have Kaiju's appearing from other dimensions through fissures around the Pacific Though, I guess even at its worst Daiguard is still much more silly than PR. Which is kind of saying a lot.

Also, not sure if anyone follows it, but Working!! has finally reached the point where I can die happy now
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #107

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Spoiler: School Live! 1
    Show
    So, I knew this was a show about a zombie apocalypse, a bit of a genre swerve.

I was not prepared for the way it happened, though. I was expecting the zompocalypse to happen sometime during the episode. But to have it already having happened, and the whole cute school thing as Yuki's delusions? HOLY SMOKES.

That was intense.
    Oh, is only getting started. :p.
    The shows has its ups and downs, but overall I'm liking it. Ie there's a couple shows where it's pointless fan service, but others times is poignant and hard hitting.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Rokka no Yuusha is building to a fine finish. I look forward to the blurays and hopefully a second season.
    I just binged the episodes last night and this morning. Can't wait to see who ends up being the seventh, and I would definitely like a second season of it!
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

19. - Top - End - #109

I doubt Pacific Rim ripped DaiGuard off since both are so heavily referencing the same older material. I wouldn't be surprised if DaiGuard was watched as part of the research and it may have had an influence but 'rip off' is such a loaded term that generally only non-creative people use.

DaiGuard is a parody that adds a level of detail and realism to make fun of how unrealistic the source material is*. Pacific Rim is a homage that plays it straight and adds a level of detail and realism to add verisimilitude. Both are fun in part because they're ludicrous but the tone is very different.

*I was going to be lazy and say deconstruction but I realised I wasn't actually going to be making a point unless I was specific.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-09-14 at 04:12 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Good news: Kamisama Hajimema****a is getting an OVA that should come soon.
    Yay!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah, and Gurren-Lagann invented drills.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Yeah, and Gurren-Lagann invented drills.
    Archimedes invented ripping off drills. Tengen Toppa Plagiarism at its finest.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-09-14 at 10:06 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Archimedes invented ripping off drills. Tengen Toppa Plagiarism at its finest.
    Side note: that's a spinoff I need to see.

With this lever, I SHALL MOVE THE EARTH THROUGH THE VAULT OF THE HEAVENS!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, people, do you have to take a stupid joke so serious (Though, Pacific Rim really hasn't added anything like detail or realism, unless you want to compare it to a Sentai show or such where logic is basically non-existent. Many more serious shows in the genre are more realistic, I'd argue. Not to say PR isn't perfectly enjoyable just... not realistic. (Which reminds me.. didn't Godannar (while being pretty bland when it wasn't hilariously over the top and heavy on the fanservice kind of have that two-synched pilot thing as well? It's been really long since i saw that, though)

Anyway... it seems GATE won't end after 12 episodes which I feared/expected. While the quality has gone down a little I still rejoice, hoping for more Medieval/Modern politic interactions.
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #115

Geez, people, do you have to take a stupid joke so serious :smalltongue
    serious?

(Though, Pacific Rim really hasn't added anything like detail or realism, unless you want to compare it to a Sentai show or such where logic is basically non-existent.
    Its more gritty than Mazinger. Not more brutal or violent because Go Nagai, but its a very detailed movie if you pay attention. Why wouldn't I be comparing it to a Sentai show? Kitchen Sink drama isn't a fair comparison at all for how realistic a giant robot film is.

The fair comparisons for Pacific Rim are probably the Wachowski Speed Racer and the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie. They're all American takes on Japanese concepts that equally revel in ridiculousness and Pacific Rim is the comparatively realistic one. It takes place in a identifiable version of the real world and the robots need a lot of grimy looking infrastructure to support them.

Realism doesn't mean "like the real world", it means "a style that has a pretence of being like the real world compared to other styles".

There's nothing in Pacific Rim that isn't just a reflection of the trend towards mechanical detail in later Super Robot works but the level of mechanical detail it goes into is extreme. The machines are animated to have weight, they also do stuff that would be impossible with that weight but the latter doesn't over-ride the former entirely.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2015-09-14 at 01:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Flumph

Anyway... it seems GATE won't end after 12 episodes which I feared/expected. While the quality has gone down a little I still rejoice, hoping for more Medieval/Modern politic interactions.
    After the first time it was seen off I was expecting that dragon to come back, so I expect it to be the endboss of the season.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone here know if there's a legitimate means of watching "Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki" (Wolf Children Ame and Yuki)?

I've been seeing some gif sets and pencil tests of it floating around and I'm intrigued.

Edit: Nevermind I was able to track down info on it, looks like I can buy it with English subs, but it's not available to stream anywhere.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-09-14 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Does anyone here know if there's a legitimate means of watching "Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki" (Wolf Children Ame and Yuki)?

I've been seeing some gif sets and pencil tests of it floating around and I'm intrigued.
    It's been licensed by Funimation, so it's available to purchase on their site, but none of the places I've checked yet have it available to stream.

EDIT:Damn, got ninja'd.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2015-09-14 at 03:40 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

I got it from my local library!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been licensed by Funimation, so it's available to purchase on their site, but none of the places I've checked yet have it available to stream.

EDIT:Damn, got ninja'd.
    I appreciate the thought though :3