Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1382
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground
    Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    Pretty much. Though on the humor front I have noticed that much of the humor in various anime just makes me cringe while the rest leaves me giggling like a maniac. Konosuba and Kill la Kill were mostly latter though about half the jokes related to Darkness in Konosube and some of the most overtly sexual jokes in Kill la Kill were former. One of the biggest things I like in the three I mentioned as my favourites are the larger than life emotions and the characters not giving up despite the difficulties and tragedies involved.

Thanks I'll check some of those out after the exams next week when I have more time :)
    On the cringe front, I totally get you. The shows I mentioned are mostly good with that, with Overlord being the worst about it.

You might also want to give a try to some anime rom-coms too. No adventure, but some of them have the humour and the larger-than-life emotions and nice characters. Some even have mundane tragedies, sans all the monster-related drama. If that sounds good, maybe give Lovely Complex a try? If you end up liking that, you'll want to ask for recommendations that fit your preferences. Most of anime romances are bad IMO even when they aren't pervy harem shows, and some of the bad ones are really bad.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Little Witch Academia is a perfect fit. It's made by the studio that made Kill la Kill and shares animation style and sense of humor (though it's less insane), it's almost literally all about emotion, and it's completely appropriate for all ages. Probably my favorite show of the year.

Konosuba to me is highly reminiscent of one of my old favorites, the 1995 fantasy comedy Slayers, which I think still holds up extremely well. It's to traditional pen & paper RPGs what Konosuba is to MMOs, essentially. Where Konosuba stays comedy-focused throughout, Slayers mixes in serious arcs and arguably delivers them just as well. It's pretty clean fun, too.

An anime that I'll always recommend to people with an affinity for fantasy is Seirei no Moribito.

I really did not enjoy the direction Katanagatari was taken towards the end. The discussion of why belongs behind spoiler tags, of course (and then I'm not sure anyone's particularly interested in having it, so I'll refrain).
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I really did not enjoy the direction Katanagatari was taken towards the end. The discussion of why belongs behind spoiler tags, of course (and then I'm not sure anyone's particularly interested in having it, so I'll refrain).
    I confess to some curiosity. I can guess, but on the whole I quite liked the show in spite of the one flaw. It was annoying but you can ignore it and enjoy the rest.

Spoiler: the Fkaw
    Show
    The whole alternate timeline thing

4. - Top - End - #1354

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I confess to some curiosity. I can guess, but on the whole I quite liked the show in spite of the one flaw. It was annoying but you can ignore it and enjoy the rest.

Spoiler: the Fkaw
    Show
    The whole alternate timeline thing
    Spoiler
    Show
    No lie, I had to look up what you're talking about. Apparently I was so unconvinced by the turn events took towards the end that I didn't even remember those. There was a villain and he had some sort of plan.

Obviously, yes, Togame's death (and the whole deal with her being supposedly evil all along) just didn't convince me at all. The obvious counterpoint is "You just don't like that it's tragic", and while there's some truth to it, I don't react to all instances of tragedy this way. They have to be "earned" in much the same way happy endings do, is the way I think of it. If you're going to kill off a sympathetic character, you have to sell me on why they had to die. If it's just "Sometimes there's no good reason for anyone to die, just like real life", that feels trite and obvious to me. Apparently some people equate cynicism with profundity; I don't.

Spoiler: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Show
    That was a problem in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, too. You have this show that, back-to-front, is all about how doing the impossible is the easiest thing in the world... and I do get that Simon needed to show his growth as a character by understanding that making himself master over life and death was one step too far; I just don't like that Nia was reduced to being a device for someone else's character development. She was her own being, wasn't she?

But while I can see arguments for the way things ended with Nia, Kittan's death is complete hogwash. I'm not sure what emotional reaction the makers were gunning for when they had him go out exactly like Kamina did, but it didn't feel "earned" at all - since the show operates pretty much solely on Rule of Cool and makes up things as it goes along, there was no sense of inevitability to it. He could just as easily have made it out of things alive and lived happily ever after with Yoko. It's as jarring as it is because the rest of the show is so relentlessly optimistic. And at least, if you're going to have him sacrifice himself, don't make it a 1:1 imitation of Kamina's sacrifice. Give him his own thing at least!

And it's not that you can't have heroic sacrifices in a relentlessly optimistic show - Kamina's works wonders. That's because it happens at a time when the characters, Simon in particular, were still at the beginning of their growths as characters. At the same time, it's the culmination of Kamina's personal journey; he was always going to go out with a bang. There's no small amount of foreshadowing connected to it. And finally, you really get a sense that Kamina lives on from the way the other characters are transformed by the experience, and how their memory of him affects their motivations. It has weight. It was earned.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Urahara is weird. Watched the first episode. The girls' powers are vague, unexplained, the story is fast-moving, like they were rushing through the origin story, and there was nothing there to make me care about any of the characters.

Konohana Kitan is a little better. Not sure about the setting, or the clearly-underage fan service, but it has much more fleshed out characters.

However, I just recently finished K-On for the first time, and I'm still emotionally recovering from that. Also kinda want another show with similar style and music.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2017-10-26 at 04:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1356

Spoiler: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Show

And it's not that you can't have heroic sacrifices in a relentlessly optimistic show - Kamina's works wonders.
    Spoiler: TTGL
    Show
    To be quite frank, I think Kamina's death was BS. Nia's death/sacrifice/whatever that was supposed to be was nonsensical. Kittan's sacrifice was alright. But opinions, right?

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No lie, I had to look up what you're talking about. Apparently I was so unconvinced by the turn events took towards the end that I didn't even remember those. There was a villain and he had some sort of plan.

Obviously, yes, Togame's death (and the whole deal with her being supposedly evil all along) just didn't convince me at all. The obvious counterpoint is "You just don't like that it's tragic", and while there's some truth to it, I don't react to all instances of tragedy this way. They have to be "earned" in much the same way happy endings do, is the way I think of it. If you're going to kill off a sympathetic character, you have to sell me on why they had to die. If it's just "Sometimes there's no good reason for anyone to die, just like real life", that feels trite and obvious to me. Apparently some people equate cynicism with profundity; I don't.
    I didn't really have a problem with that from a narrativistic point of view. Sure I was as dumbfounded as most when it happened, but as far as the story and the antagonist's plans were concerned it made perfect sense. Togame admitting to being 'evil', sure whatever. Some truth, some trying to convince herself and Shichika of its truth.
    Haven't watched TTGL so I can't comment on that.

8. - Top - End - #1358

Spoiler: Delicious In Dungeon Spoilers
    Show
    Well hot damn this has been a crazy few chapters.

Find the dragon, kill the dragon, revive the sister with the dragon's body.

Then you have the Mad Sorcerer just waltzing in to MESS WITH EVERYTHING and run off with the sister. Fine, okay, can live with that a bit.

Main group runs into one of their old companions, runs into the people that are hunting them, AND THEN RUN INTO SISTER CHIMERA DEATH MACHINE. She kills most of them with ease, casts magic, and then runs off. Also, her internal organs don't seem to be where they should anymore, considering where she got stabbed.

Great set of chapters, really happy to see Laius actually get annoyed at someone too.

9. - Top - End - #1359

So I've been thinking about Negima a lot lately, just the concept behind making it is something I find hilarious.

Ken: I've done the whole harem thing, I think I want to do a fighting series of sorts.
    Producers: No! Harem is what you made a name with so that is what we want you to do more of!
    Ken: Fine fine...
    Ken: Actually you know what? I think I'm going to make this a fighting series after all. Screw it.

Also as it turns out Negima coming to mind has nothing to do with UQ Holder apparently coming out recently as an anime, that was a completely unexpected bonus! They even amusingly reuse the Negima theme. Honestly I feel it's used much better here, I actually always hated the Negima opening with it's weird unnecessary focus on the girls playing around in bikinis.

Edit: Talking about fantasy anime. Looked into that 'In Another World with my Smartphone' anime today since I prefer watching things all at once when they are finished when I can. Honestly it's pretty stupid so far but not enough that I'm inclined to give up on it (more it watching it will pass an afternoon and I probably won't think about it further afterwards). Main character is probably the biggest Mary Sue (Stu?) I've ever seen. Guy gets a choice of a boon and chooses to have access to his smartphone (or rather the information a smartphone would be able to normally access) which already is a humongous asset (I mean, just look at Gwenpool in Marvel, that basically alone is her 'superpower' only she only has assess to information she was able to memorize beforehand), but no that's not enough so he gets additional boons of enhanced strength and agility and affinity to every magic even on top of that all without asking. Bah. I mean I complain but it's not as if I don't get it, the whole thing is just a geeky wet-dream, all the trappings for a fun fantasy adventure romp with zero of those pesky drawbacks or hardships. I guess I'm mostly annoyed because as much as I like the whole 'Suddenly in another world' trope it's actually the adjustment phase where they have t o adjust and learn how to deal with the new world that I find most entertaining and this series seems to just flat out skip over that.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-10-27 at 02:29 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ettin in the Playground

IAWwMS was bad enough that I gave up after one and a half episodes, and that was while keeping half an eye on it while doing the dishes. Everything I've heard about it indicates that it was that bad all the way.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-10-27 at 06:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1361

Yeah, it definitely didn't get any better but it was short enough and what was there was such generic anime fluff that I was still able to make it through it. Certain;y not something I would recommend. One weird thing I noticed though was considering the anime is named for it the smartphone is barely relevant in the series. He uses a map ap to search for things and baffles people by taking their pictures, but that's basically it.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-10-27 at 07:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    One weird thing I noticed though was considering the anime is named for it the smartphone is barely relevant in the series.
    This is the main thing I've heard about it and it strikes me as deeply weird. Having only a smartphone as your special ability in an isekai could be interesting! There's potential for a bunch of stories there! Why would you then immediately pile further distinctions within the setting on to the protagonist so that they become more and more generic and uninteresting? It's like a version of Re:Zero where Subaru is so badass he never dies!

13. - Top - End - #1363

One of the reasons I was inclined to watch it in the first place was because I thought the idea had potential, but no. Even worst they tease you with the wasted potential. Like right away in the first or second episode there's a part where a friend of his companions who runs a restaurant is in desperate need of something 'new' to attract costumers and so the main character looks up how to make ice cream and cakes. Such a small thing could have opened up so many story opportunities! This is barely mentioned again outside of a brief mention about how the desserts got really popular several episodes later. Another time he uses his phone to 'invent' the bicycle and the gun. Again, what could have been a huge story development was instead met with a reaction along the lines of 'Oh, that's neat I guess'. (He even makes two additional guns for some of his companions. They never actually use them.)
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-10-28 at 12:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1364

Smartphone is the anime equivalent of a powerful tranquilizer. It's so incredibly by the numbers, uninventive and stereotypical that you recognize it as bad, very bad even - but it's so lowkey and boring that you can't even get mad at it. It puts you to sleep before you have a chance to get angry.

Good for insomniacs I guess.

15. - Top - End - #1365

Anyways. So like I said I've had the Negima series on my mind a lot lately and finally thought to look into the anime. Turns out there are two. I know one is an alternate telling of the other or something and I can only imagine that the one that UQ Holder shares a theme song with is the main one, but can anyone tell me what the actual difference between the two might be?

16. - Top - End - #1366

Neither of the Negima series are canon. The first one diverges from the manga plot pretty quickly and heavily and the second just doesn't care from the start and does its own thing. There's the Ala Alba OVA but for people who didn't read the manga and only watched the anime, the sudden jump forward in time and in seriousness of tone will be extremely jarring.

In the end the best way to experience the series is to just read the manga series.

17. - Top - End - #1367

Just a warning, everybody: it seems that Crunchyroll had its DNS hijacked, so attempting to visit their site will redirect to a fake site that attempts to download and run ransomwear on your computer. Stay away from Crunchyroll at the moment, and definitely don't run any random .exe files that your computer happens to download.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

So for those who care, there is a new chapter of One Punch Man out. Action is getting kinda intense here, im really looking forward to see this fight animated when the anime picks up again.
    Also, the relationship between King and Saitama continues to be kinda hilarious
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #1369

Another Negima question, but (unconcerned with spoilers) I was wondering how many characters from Negima show back up in UQ Holder. Personally I'm hoping for Yue at the very least to make a notable appearance as she was one of my favorite characters from Negima and she does go on to become a mage which I think would give her a decent chance of still being around and active 80 years later.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Troll in the Playground

I caught up with the OPM and My Hero Academia anime. I should be able to find the corresponding points in the manga easily enough, but my question is, is there anything earlier in either manga that I should read that was left out of the anime, or can I just skip to the point where each anime ends? Thanks.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Another Negima question, but (unconcerned with spoilers) I was wondering how many characters from Negima show back up in UQ Holder. Personally I'm hoping for Yue at the very least to make a notable appearance as she was one of my favorite characters from Negima and she does go on to become a mage which I think would give her a decent chance of still being around and active 80 years later.
    There are some flashback chapters where most of the Negima cast appears. Quite a few show up in the present day, but most of their appearances are limited to cameos or exposition.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yue and Nodoka have apparently become strong enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Rakan.
    Art - Homebrew - Avatar adoptions
    Spirit Artist in the Playground

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Colossus in the Playground

There's no other place to put this so I'll slam it down here.

Megumi got ****ing robbed and Souma's Food War's next like...fiveish chapters are going to be ****ing boring. God damnit.

Sly Zodi by Cuthalion. It's time to do a crime.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August.

23. - Top - End - #1373

I recently got in the mood to watch/rewatch Log Horizon (I only saw the first season before now) and it's just as great as I remembered it. Sadly though I'm coming to the end of it and I'm thinking on what to watch next and was surprise to find myself being inclined to get further in Fairy Tail. I guess not that surprising when you think about it, both are fantasy anime focused on guilds and magic and all, just it feels weird to put the two in the same category for some reason. (Side-note though, the characters in Fairy Tail suddenly make a lot more sense actually when you apply the Log Horizon class systen to them. Like Erza as a Defender or Natsu as a Monk and such. Lucy as a Summoner is pretty self explanatory I guess, not sure what Gray would be).

On Log Horizon, as much as I liked the main story I really can't help but wish there was a whole series just focused on Kanami's adventures. I guess that's sort of her whole point though. I know she gets more 'screen time' in the books and whatnot, but I don't really have easy access to those (honestly just trying to get a hold of the manga is hard enough for me right now!).

Talking about the Log Horizon manga, actually while searching online for it I found myself directed towards another called "That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime". Pretty simple series (the title saying exactly what the series is about) and hardly something that hasn't been done several times over, but I found myself rather liking it. Then again I'm already really fond of the whole 'reborn in a fantasy world thing' (which I feel like I might have already mentioned). It really reminded me of a specific other series along those lines called 'ReMonster' (in that the main character is reborn as a lowly monster in said fantasy world rather then as a person) only I liked 'Reincarnated As a Slime' loads more then 'ReMonster'. Not only did 'ReMonster' talk itself way too seriously but it also got into some... uncomfortable scenarios for kind of no reason whatsoever (hint: it involves geriatric goblin boners). Not only was 'Reincarnated As a Slime' much more enjoyable but the narrative (however still unlikely) actually made much more sense to me as to just why he ended up as he did (basically while he was dying he complained about how his life up to that point was going and the Powers That Be that reincarnated him took everything he said way out of context, like for example he complained about dying of blood loss so they gave him a body that 'didn't require blood to function' or after jokingly saying he almost managed to become a Sage (ie: was a virgin past the age of 40) they made him a literal Sage in his next life). 'ReMonster' by comparison went with 'Oh, I just always had powers so of coarse I would still have them even after being reincarnated as a goblin..."

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If you like that sort of stuff try the Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? manga It was recommend to me on here and I've been enjoying it immensely.

25. - Top - End - #1375

Ooooh, spiders? Bonus!
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2017-12-06 at 11:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition to the shows from this season that I'm watching, I'm also slowly working my way through Dirty Pair. Short version: couple of highly skilled bimbos work as mercenaries for a big company in spa-a-a-ce. It's surprisingly entertaining and surprisingly LGBT-friendly for something made in the mid 80s. I don't call it a masterpiece or anything, but it keeps me coming back.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

And another new chapter of One Punch man is out, if anyone is following that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Two main points of observation is that i think its kinda funny how King ends up at least trying to be the voice of reason.
    And also that i think he showed a surprising amount of courage doing what he did, acting as bait for Elder centipide.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    There's no other place to put this so I'll slam it down here.

Megumi got ****ing robbed and Souma's Food War's next like...fiveish chapters are going to be ****ing boring. God damnit.
    Oh come now... Megumi was up against a top Chef in their field and who was not exhausted. She did well but she's just not that good.

Souma had to pull all stops to win. Yeah, it was predictable but it was fun enough to read, for me anyway.
    He didn't do it alone either, he had to borrow from his allies and enemies in order to make it. And for that awesome unlimited bladeworks copy, including Kurokiba Busterblade (Kurokibuster?) I feel pretty entertained this week.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

On Log Horizon, as much as I liked the main story I really can't help but wish there was a whole series just focused on Kanami's adventures.
    Kanami has a great inversion of the You Can't Go Home Again trope. Kanami doesn't want to go home - she wants to bring her daughter there!

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Oh come now... Megumi was up against a top Chef in their field and who was not exhausted. She did well but she's just not that good.

Souma had to pull all stops to win. Yeah, it was predictable but it was fun enough to read, for me anyway.
    He didn't do it alone either, he had to borrow from his allies and enemies in order to make it. And for that awesome unlimited bladeworks copy, including Kurokiba Busterblade (Kurokibuster?) I feel pretty entertained this week.
    Megumi hasn't won a single time in this entire series. This was to be her moment. It could of been really cool.

It doesn't FEEL like Souma had to put out much effort because the only reaction Satou got was sending the judges flying with his sword. It had no real build up and was overall rather weak a showing from this guy.

Also this is just personal but I feel Momo's dish was actually just really really ****ty? I love puff pastries and I'd have to see how it works out in real life but the entire point of an iron chef like fight is to bring out the flavor of the ingredient chosen. Momo didn't do that, she brought out the power and flavor of the rose petals. Apple was just kinda also there. Meanwhile Megumi's was completely dedicated to the apple. Also I don't care how good the pastry is, nothing beats a ****ing pancake sandwhich.

Sly Zodi by Cuthalion. It's time to do a crime.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August.