New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Gakkou Garashi is building up to the big finale. It's a great episode, minus a couple of odd scenes like the dog or the strangely long time she takes killing a zombie.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

We finished K-On today, well we still have the movie to go but that's it.

I legitimately almost cried in a few of the last (non extra) episodes, emotions why do you betray me so!

It was a cute anime, those girls were all a little weird/crazy but it was cute. :3

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

The K-On movie is quite good. Impressed me a lot more than Season 1 did.

I skipped season 2 (probably) due to going to university.

Have you seen Minami-ke yet? That's my preferred Slice of Life due to it being more of a comedy and less moe.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #124

https://twitter.com/kekkaisensen/sta...98432247287808

The release date for the final episode of Kekkai Sensen has finally been announced! This is the best damn anime news I've heard in a long, long time. So ****ing stoked, especially since it's supposedly a double-length episode.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

tenshi ni fureta yo, the song composed during the movie and certain parts of season two, still makes me tear up and I finished k-on like half a year ago. i'm weak.

the second season ends at about the same point in the character's lives as the movie, but my opinion -- and, I believe, the general consensus -- is that the second season is better than both the first season and the movie. moe is definitely a central element in k-on's appeal, though. minami-ke has been on my watch list for quite a while but I haven't yet found time for it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    https://twitter.com/kekkaisensen/sta...98432247287808

The release date for the final episode of Kekkai Sensen has finally been announced! This is the best damn anime news I've heard in a long, long time. So ****ing stoked, especially since it's supposedly a double-length episode.
    Why did they have the massive gap anyway? Seemed like things where just starting when it stopped.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Why did they have the massive gap anyway? Seemed like things where just starting when it stopped.
    This is just what I recall from when it was supposed to come out, so it might not be entirely accurate, but it was pushed back a week from its original airing date because they decided that it needed to be longer than standard to be able to wrap things up appropriately. However, it turned out that delay meant it was going to be airing the same day as the first episode of Durarara!!, so they delayed it further. I can't quite remember what happened after that delay, but some series of events led to it being delayed indefinitely.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    The K-On movie is quite good. Impressed me a lot more than Season 1 did.

I skipped season 2 (probably) due to going to university.

Have you seen Minami-ke yet? That's my preferred Slice of Life due to it being more of a comedy and less moe.
    We haven't seen Minami-ke, if it's available to stream legally I'll add it to our list though.

If you have Hulu available where you live, you can watch season 2 + 3 extra episodes there. One of the extras hints at the movie I think.

9. - Top - End - #129

If you're interested in those slice of live thingy but with highschool boys, you might be interested in Daily Lives of High School Boys. I personally find it really funny.

Here, watch the ed credit at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6h74OawKQ
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    If you're interested in those slice of live thingy but with highschool boys, you might be interested in Daily Lives of High School Boys. I personally find it really funny.

Here, watch the ed credit at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6h74OawKQ
    I have no idea what I just watched but it sure was weird, lol.

I'll put it on my list and give it a try.

Slice of life is one of those genres that I'm probably a bit harder on than mosts, usually they either draw me in or they quickly annoy me, with very little middle ground. So just forewarning if anyone else has/had slice of life suggestions.

The next thing on my list is Hanayamata, but it's a slice of life as well, so I think in order to prevent fatigue of the genre we're going to skip to Girls Und Panzer, then come back to Hanayamata.

I'll probably mix Miname-Ke and Daily Lives of Highschool boys in too.

I'd like to add again, thank you all for giving me so many suggestions, you've helped to keep us entertained for almost an entire year, and exposed us to some good anime we likely would not have otherwise watched.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-09-18 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I can give my most heartfelt recommendation for this show as well: it's absolutely hilarious, doesn't take itself too seriously and it's short enough to watch all of it. Most of the humor is fairly dry and it leans on the fourth wall but overall, it just works as a show.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rokka no Yuusha
    Show

Well, it was almost a good ending. I mean, most of the episode was perfectly fine, wrapped up the story nicely. And then 17:10 hits, and we get one of the worst tone breaks I've seen in years. Out-of-place soundtrack, terribly lacking attempts at humour... Regardless of whether they're trying to throw a sequel hook in, did they have to do it like that? Really, it's almost hard to believe that came from the same director that handled the rest of the show.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sallera View Post
    Show

Well, it was almost a good ending. I mean, most of the episode was perfectly fine, wrapped up the story nicely. And then 17:10 hits, and we get one of the worst tone breaks I've seen in years. Out-of-place soundtrack, terribly lacking attempts at humour... Regardless of whether they're trying to throw a sequel hook in, did they have to do it like that? Really, it's almost hard to believe that came from the same director that handled the rest of the show.
    Show
    I know... It was totally out of left field. There was so much promise there, too. They could've hooked us all for a sequel without introducing the same problem as before, just with a new flavor. Now... Well, I don't know if anyone would want to see more.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

14. - Top - End - #134

Rokka no Yuusha
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite the same setup, for one they dealt with the barrier, they can move which is why they don't have to find the traitor before progressing. So they can actually progress with their mission while having to watch out for the traitor instead it being all about catching the traitor.

Also if the second seasons begins with the first scene of book 2 (started reading today)
    Spoiler: Novel 2 beginning spoiler
    Show
    Then it starts with a flash forward of someone admitting they are the seventh, I won't say who. Though I think they aren't actually the seventh

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

We watched the first episode of Girls und Panzer last night and the cognitive dissonance is real.

I'm very intrigued though.

The guy was like "wtf?!" at the end of the episode when the camera zoomed out, I thought it was pretty funny.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Regarding Rokka no Yuusha, never visit the wikia for the series unless you want the mystery spoiled. Each character's page tells of their role in the story briefly at the very beginning, before the spoiler alert. And these introductions are of the form 'X is Y and Z and the Nth fake Brave' for the fakes. I laughed out loud when I saw the spoiler alert below those lines. Although I must admit I was surprised by who the second fake is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by VariSami View Post
    Show
    Regarding Rokka no Yuusha, never visit the wikia for the series unless you want the mystery spoiled. Each character's page tells of their role in the story briefly at the very beginning, before the spoiler alert. And these introductions are of the form 'X is Y and Z and the Nth fake Brave' for the fakes. I laughed out loud when I saw the spoiler alert below those lines. Although I must admit I was surprised by who the second fake is...
    What are they thinking…
    Show
    I already read a spoiler about something and looked in the profile and oh man they really lead with that in the very first sentence before the spoiler warning. I'm almost 4 volumes in and while there are hints at that it isn't revealed or obvious. Just a possibility with some support… And the plot description in the article doesn't even mention the fact so why put it there?
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2015-09-21 at 09:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Catching up on Yona with my housemate, and actually really coming to enjoy the story now that things are picking up and character dynamics are coming together. I'd say the turning point is around Episode 8 or so.

Also, what is with that second OP? I'm guessing Executive Meddling and the need to slap a techno/pop song onto it, when they didn't really intend to use a second OP, coupled with some lazy cuts from the first OP and a few bits of less than amazing animation (and all the stillframes).

On the other hand, the second ED is fantastic. Musically, might be my favorite ED next to The Real Folk Blues.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #139

I fell a few episodes behind on Akagami no Shirayukihime, but I finally caught up to the airing episode today. Which is, of course, the last episode of this cour. But, ah, how do I put this...

Spoiler: Akagami no Shirayukihime
    Show

Oh my god Shirayuki and Zen are so damn cute together. I am a cold-hearted bastard when it comes to fictional stuff, and the confession scene in episode eleven had me teary-eyed from happiness. The play scene was adorable, the kiss in the watchtower was adorable, Shirayuki is adorable in general on top of being pretty kick-ass, Zen is adorable when he gets flustered, everyone is adorable and things are actually daijoubu!

This show just feels like a fairy tale, and I love it for that, and has consistently been the one that I have looked forwards to watching the most this season, and I await next season even more eagerly. I need my fix, dammit!

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    This show just feels like a fairy tale, and I love it for that, and has consistently been the one that I have looked forwards to watching the most this season, and I await next season even more eagerly. I need my fix, dammit!
    this is how I feel about Non Non Biyori Repeat, which finished airing yesterday. the sense of serenity i get from NNB is unparalleled; i think about it a lot, and i still can't get past the feeling that NNB is an essentially flawless take on the SoL genre.

since most of them have only recently stopped airing, i haven't touched most of this season's anime, but NNB is as of yet the only thing that i've found particularly good. ranpo kitan: game of laplace was all sorts of rough and rokka no yuusha was enjoyable but didn't really seem above-average in any respect. that's a pretty tiny selection, though, so i've still got a bunch of catching up to do.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone here know what kind of helicopter thing that was in Girls und Panzer?

I'm curious about it, or is it a made up thing?

I'm finding the tank fighting parts to be pretty exciting, the guy is pretty unhappy with the social parts of the show though I think. I think those parts are a little weak too, but I find that that doesn't really bother me much. I want to see more of what happens and more tank fighting.

Will the anime ever explain the state of the world and such? I'm really curious about the setting but so far not much has been divulged about it.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Will the anime ever explain the state of the world and such?
    Not really, no.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Not really, no.
    That's too bad, though I suppose in a way that makes it more interesting.

24. - Top - End - #144

About Gangsta does anyone else find this arc underwhelming?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A bunch of overpowered people show up and start killing, and I just don't find the conflict particularly interesting.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Will the anime ever explain the state of the world and such? I'm really curious about the setting but so far not much has been divulged about it.
    The school ships were explained in one of the OVAs, but aside from that, nope.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #146

Does anyone here know what kind of helicopter thing that was in Girls und Panzer?

I'm curious about it, or is it a made up thing?
    My recollection is vague, but if you're talking about episode six, apparently it's this thing.

The setting is... largely beside the point in GuP, basically just sketched out enough to say "shut up about how weird the tanks are, everything's weird here". As Sallera says, one of the OVAs mentions that the school ships are a long-standing tradition that basically makes the setting an alternate history stretching back centuries (or millennia, IIRC), but they're not otherwise addressed. Also worth noting: the contest they're participating in is the Nationals, so all those heavily British- and Russian- and American-themed rival schools are actually Japanese.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    My recollection is vague, but if you're talking about episode six, apparently it's this thing.

The setting is... largely beside the point in GuP, basically just sketched out enough to say "shut up about how weird the tanks are, everything's weird here". As Sallera says, one of the OVAs mentions that the school ships are a long-standing tradition that basically makes the setting an alternate history stretching back centuries (or millennia, IIRC), but they're not otherwise addressed. Also worth noting: the contest they're participating in is the Nationals, so all those heavily British- and Russian- and American-themed rival schools are actually Japanese.
    Given that the Brits, Russians, Americans, and Germans are the best-known producers of armored vehicles, it does kind of make sense to use their militaries as club themes when you're talking about a Tank Club. Sort of. But as I recall it kind of extended to the whole school...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh I thought that the American team actually were Americans, the way they were talking suggested it anyway. Though I've noticed Crunchy Roll and Hulu often have slight differences in translations so maybe Hulus translation isn't conveying that properly. (we usually use Hulu if everything is up to date on it, crunchy roll's commercials make us feel like we're going crazy since it often shows the same one like 5 billion times in a row).

I didn't even really need justification for the mix matching of tanks, it makes sense for school clubs to have different ones, or old ones, or up to date ones, just like how say the fencing club at my university has some gear that's so old and grungy...but other clubs or fencing schools have more nice gear that doesn't smell. I take it certain inaccuracies in the anime must make people who actually know anything about tanks a little crazy, fortunately I know next to nothing about tanks, other than that they're neat, and all that internal decorating the girls did is probably a massive fire hazard.

Thanks for helping me find out with what that helicopter was, I don't know a whole whole lot about military things, but I do have a passing interest in the war machines (particularly the flying kinds), and like to see them and read about them.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-09-24 at 01:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Due to production issues, episode 12 of School-Live! will be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding."

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there. I need some help.

Among the many things I want to do at some point is trying to learn some basic Japanese, because I'm a language nerd on top of being just a regular nerd. I'm thinking that it could be a smart move to combine this with getting myself back into anime again, as a way to expose myself to the language in a bigger way, and pick up more of the vocabulary. I might do something similar with manga for the written language.

Now all I need is a couple good anime to watch. That's where you come in.

When I was younger, I and my friends were into anime in a pretty big way. I wasn't the most hardcore, but I have watched my share. As time went on, I found that I was getting irritated with some of the stereotypes of the anime genre, sometimes with the pacing of the shows, and also with what I can only describe as Japanese-centric cultural assumptions and references that I don't understand. When my friends started getting their own lives and move away, I completely dropped anime. I can still think back to when I was binging Naruto and thought it was the coolest **** ever, though.

So, what do I want? There's a list of stuff I've watched and liked below (just the things I can recall off the top of my head). What I know that I don't want, though, is easier. I don't want Love Hina, where the same stereotype getting played for laughs over and over is the one trick it has. I don't want Ranma ½, where the status quo didn't even get resolved by the comic ending. And, frankly, I don't want Naruto, One Piece, Bleach or Dragon Ball, because while I do like them, it gets so shounen that I can barely breathe, and if I'm looking to learn some vocabulary, I'm not sure this where I'm looking to go anyway. I can like a good fight scene, even a combat focus, but it needs some other spin as well.

Spoiler: Good stuff I've watched
    Show
    Cowboy Bebop: One of the first ones I ever watched. It possibly lost a bit of punch due to me not quite understanding just how different it was, as I had no base of comparison. None the less, awesome show with a unique sparse and understated atmosphere.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: It's a classic. Wonderful character work. Again, I probably lacked the genre knowledge (as well as possibly the maturity) to really appreciate the nuances, but it is certainly it's own thing. I could probably stand to rewatch it, come to think of it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: This one is just awesome. The tight pacing, the constant ramp-up, the efficient character building and the strength of theme makes it possibly my favourite anime ever.

Ai Yori Aoshi: Pretty standard romance thing, I think, but damn was I hooked on this one for a while. Can't really qualify it with anything but being too damn cute.

Trigun: Funny and with spots of deepened character growth, particularly towards the end. Good solid entertainment.

Feel free to ask me questions. I'm up for new stuff or classics. Anyone got a suggestion for me?
    Last edited by Weimann; 2015-09-24 at 06:14 PM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!