New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Maybe FLCL, Gunbuster, or Diebuster, all by the same studio that did NGE and TTGL. Also Kill la Kill if you liked the over the top part of TTGL, or any of the Gundam series (especially The 08th MS Team) if you liked the giant mecha part of TTGL. Based on Ai Yori Aoshi, Akagami no Shirayukihime or Non Non Byori. Also potentially Clannad, Your Lie in April or K-On!, the first two being very good and emotional romances, and the last being a very cute SoL where nothing much really happens. Outlaw Star based on Bebop and Trigun, as it's one of the only other space westerns I can think of. And if you want to hear people talking a lot, Joshiraku or Bakemonogatari.

Also just going to throw out my standard recommendations of Baccano!, Madoka Magica, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Oh, and Fate/zero and/or Stay Night:Unlimited Blade Works.

However, I would like to say that the Japanese that is usually spoken in anime is a lot less formal than the Japanese I learned and heard when I visited Japan. Not meaning this is any way that you shouldn't try and learn Japanese, but do know that anime probably isn't the best teaching tool.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

are there any particular genres in which you're interested? it's a pretty broad medium and the chance of any two individuals having a similar sense of taste isn't especially likely.

i'd second the FLCL rec, and i'm fond of a bunch of the shows in Faust's post -- both of two favorite franchises are among them -- but i'll decide whether or not i'd recommend them after i learn more about your interests. oh, i guess the Madoka rec is pretty universally acceptable, too.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Ahh I thought that the American team actually were Americans, the way they were talking suggested it anyway.
    I literally finished the show before someone in this thread told me that everyone in it was Japanese.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    "Due to production issues, episode 12 of School-Live! will be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding."

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Funny story...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I literally finished the show before someone in this thread told me that everyone in it was Japanese.
    Did they also tell you where they learned that everyone is definitely Japanese?

We're on the "Russian" team now, and the captain has a Russianish sounding name too. The "American" and "Russian" captain even had the stereotypical anime look for a westerner, with sprinkles of other typically western traits like Naomi having freckles. Though I could see it being something like Japanese expansion being successful in this alternate world and swallowing up a good chunk of the world.

My guy explained better what he doesn't like about it, he just hates that all the antagonists are "super terrible" as in terrible people, not terrible antagonists. He seems pretty well entertained by some of the sillier parts (though also getting a lot of wtf reactions from him, like when they all had to do that weird fish dance).

6. - Top - End - #156

Did they also tell you where they learned that everyone is definitely Japanese?
    It's not that every character is necessarily Japanese, but that the competition is a national one, and therefore all the schools are Japanese. Pravda (the "Russians"), for example, are from Hokkaido, not Russia. So it might be that some of the least Japanese-seeming characters are actually immigrants or have Russian or American or whatever ancestry, and it makes sense that a strongly Russian-themed school would attract students with connections to Russia... but given the scale, it also seems fair to conclude that the History club are actually the most representative of wider tankery culture. They're all huge cosplay and recreation dorks and it's great.
    My guy explained better what he doesn't like about it, he just hates that all the antagonists are "super terrible" as in terrible people, not terrible antagonists.
    Hmmm, I don't think I'd agree with that. I don't want to get in to possible spoilers and I forget the sequence of when they fight which schools, but as far as I can remember the opponents only have enough jerkass characters mixed in to provide proper underdog sports story antagonism. Unless you mean Kuromorimine, who, yeah, do seem like big jerks, but they're the elitist top team! That's their job!
    He seems pretty well entertained by some of the sillier parts (though also getting a lot of wtf reactions from him, like when they all had to do that weird fish dance).
    That's the best part! One of the OVAs is actually a full two-minute version of it. (The OVAs in general are fun, by the way. I recommend checking them out after the show, if your guy hasn't been turned off it entirely.)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Hey there. I need some help.

Among the many things I want to do at some point is trying to learn some basic Japanese, because I'm a language nerd on top of being just a regular nerd. I'm thinking that it could be a smart move to combine this with getting myself back into anime again, as a way to expose myself to the language in a bigger way, and pick up more of the vocabulary. I might do something similar with manga for the written language.

Now all I need is a couple good anime to watch. That's where you come in.

When I was younger, I and my friends were into anime in a pretty big way. I wasn't the most hardcore, but I have watched my share. As time went on, I found that I was getting irritated with some of the stereotypes of the anime genre, sometimes with the pacing of the shows, and also with what I can only describe as Japanese-centric cultural assumptions and references that I don't understand. When my friends started getting their own lives and move away, I completely dropped anime. I can still think back to when I was binging Naruto and thought it was the coolest **** ever, though.

So, what do I want? There's a list of stuff I've watched and liked below (just the things I can recall off the top of my head). What I know that I don't want, though, is easier. I don't want Love Hina, where the same stereotype getting played for laughs over and over is the one trick it has. I don't want Ranma ½, where the status quo didn't even get resolved by the comic ending. And, frankly, I don't want Naruto, One Piece, Bleach or Dragon Ball, because while I do like them, it gets so shounen that I can barely breathe, and if I'm looking to learn some vocabulary, I'm not sure this where I'm looking to go anyway. I can like a good fight scene, even a combat focus, but it needs some other spin as well.

Spoiler: Good stuff I've watched
    Show
    Cowboy Bebop: One of the first ones I ever watched. It possibly lost a bit of punch due to me not quite understanding just how different it was, as I had no base of comparison. None the less, awesome show with a unique sparse and understated atmosphere.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: It's a classic. Wonderful character work. Again, I probably lacked the genre knowledge (as well as possibly the maturity) to really appreciate the nuances, but it is certainly it's own thing. I could probably stand to rewatch it, come to think of it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: This one is just awesome. The tight pacing, the constant ramp-up, the efficient character building and the strength of theme makes it possibly my favourite anime ever.

Ai Yori Aoshi: Pretty standard romance thing, I think, but damn was I hooked on this one for a while. Can't really qualify it with anything but being too damn cute.

Trigun: Funny and with spots of deepened character growth, particularly towards the end. Good solid entertainment.

Feel free to ask me questions. I'm up for new stuff or classics. Anyone got a suggestion for me?
    Mushi-shi, Full Metal Alchemist, Last Exile, Haibane Ranmei, Seirei no Moribito, Darker than Black, Code Geass, Daily Lives of High school boys, Baccano, Tatami Galaxy. There is probably something you will like among these, for more specific recommendations give some more details about your preferences.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Mostly finished Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Gate, Danchigai, and MonMusu. Moving on to Gakkou Gurashi!, Shokugeki no Souma, Charlotte, and Sore ga Seiyuu!

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime was really quite good! Solid pacing, enjoyable characterization, and good potential heading into its second season. I'm looking forward to it.

Gate, on the other hand, really seemed to suffer at having its second cour delayed. The show moved at a tempo suggesting that it was only hitting its half-way point, and that's exactly how the last episode feels. It's rough.

Danchigai's whole cour amounts to just over half an hour of family dynamics + moe, and it's fairly similar to Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken in that regard. It's difficult to feel particularly impacted by shows of this format -- you get one-and-a-half episodes, max, of development in terms of full-length show duration -- but Danchigai is kinda cute and kinda heartwarming and doesn't try to be anything more than that.

MonMusu isn't exactly what I expected, and in the end I feel like I have less to say about it than anything else I've seen this season. It came off as very typical, and I didn't have any problems with that.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

School-Live! definitely ended on a strong note. Not the best show I've seen, but still really good, and I feel it stuck the landing in a very genre-appropriate way. You can definitely tell it was adapted from a longer manga (there's a few lingering questions about the world that get answered in a sorta vague way that's pretty much unimportant for the anime's core action), but overall very very good. I'm gonna miss the show.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    School-Live! definitely ended on a strong note. Not the best show I've seen, but still really good, and I feel it stuck the landing in a very genre-appropriate way. You can definitely tell it was adapted from a longer manga (there's a few lingering questions about the world that get answered in a sorta vague way that's pretty much unimportant for the anime's core action), but overall very very good. I'm gonna miss the show.
    Really? I mean, I swaw the first two episodes and while i guess the reveal was a surprise after the second episode I was kind off "yeah, another show like that - except with little girls" and lost interest. is there something amazing I'm missing out on?

Otherwise... Gate didn't quite hold up to what I expected. It's still okay, but I was looking forward to more a) medieval-modern clashing, not only in the comedic way they did it, e.g. in Japan and more "soldiers in a war zone" plot. It's still fine enough but not what i hoped for (I wonder if the timing of the anime has anything to do with Japan's new, looser restrictions on troop deployment... er, wait, politics. My bad)

Shimoneta was... well, what it said on the tin. Or in the first episode, anyway. Maybe I'd have hoped for a more serious approach to the matter but I'm not surprised it didn't go that way, just a bit disappointed.

Shokugeki was still as much mouth-watering simple-minded fun as I hoped and I guess I'll be forced to go and read the manga now. (Noooooooo...)

Otherwise... spent a bunch of time catching up on DB Kai, hoping I would have finished it before Super but not quite. Still the whole Boo saga to go.

So, what should I watch from last season? (Mostly from a "will make me laugh" angle. I know, I'm a simple minded guy, sue me Overlord? Monster Musume?)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Maybe FLCL, Gunbuster, or Diebuster, all by the same studio that did NGE and TTGL. Also Kill la Kill if you liked the over the top part of TTGL, or any of the Gundam series (especially The 08th MS Team) if you liked the giant mecha part of TTGL. Based on Ai Yori Aoshi, Akagami no Shirayukihime or Non Non Byori. Also potentially Clannad, Your Lie in April or K-On!, the first two being very good and emotional romances, and the last being a very cute SoL where nothing much really happens. Outlaw Star based on Bebop and Trigun, as it's one of the only other space westerns I can think of. And if you want to hear people talking a lot, Joshiraku or Bakemonogatari.

Also just going to throw out my standard recommendations of Baccano!, Madoka Magica, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Oh, and Fate/zero and/or Stay Night:Unlimited Blade Works.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll probably end up checking out your general recommendations first, as I' really not sure if there's any particular genre or style I prefer. If many people like it, though, odds are I will too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    However, I would like to say that the Japanese that is usually spoken in anime is a lot less formal than the Japanese I learned and heard when I visited Japan. Not meaning this is any way that you shouldn't try and learn Japanese, but do know that anime probably isn't the best teaching tool.
    Duly noted, and thanks for the warning. I will of course be coupling it with other sources like books and online courses (I don't have time to take actually university courses right now as I'm already studying full time). I intend the anime to mostly be a way to surround myself with the language, in addition to using more focused studying tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Mushi-shi, Full Metal Alchemist, Last Exile, Haibane Ranmei, Seirei no Moribito, Darker than Black, Code Geass, Daily Lives of High school boys, Baccano, Tatami Galaxy. There is probably something you will like among these, for more specific recommendations give some more details about your preferences.
    Thanks. Since both of you suggested Baccano, I'm leaning towards that one. I'm also considering picking up a free trial month on Crunchyroll and just check out some random series.

As I said before, I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I suppose I'm partial to anything that's well written in terms of characters and dialogue, and which has a good pacing. Those are really the most important thing. Things that aren't the typical shounen stereotypes (but that said, I'd lie if I said I didn't enjoy me some awesome combat and burning hearts at times). I couldn't really say that I like any subject over the other, since anime has a tendency to be able to both very stereotypical and completely unpredictable at once.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Colossus in the Playground

Seirei no Moribito was recommended above and it has some pretty damn good character work and some of the best combat I've ever seen. That can be recommended. Generally medieval fantasy, very light on the fantasy (except for being set in a world that isn't Earth.)

Hm. Mushi-shi is very much a matter of taste, I happen to love it. For the most part, it's a gently paced, episodic fairy tale with very unusual and sometimes brilliant creatures and visuals. Occasionally drifts into horror. Follows a scholar travelling medieval-ish Japan-ish solving supernatural problems.

Other shows I like and you haven't seen...
    Ghost in the Shell, is, unless I'm missing something, a loose franchise of two full movies for the cinema, a two-season tv series which also has its own movie and now a newer tv series. They are apparently all different, but related universes, where the same characters go in different directions. Genre: post-cyberpunk thriller that follows a government organization of cyborgs solving cyber crimes. Varying levels of weirdness, philosophy, action and investigation.

Death Note is a good one, even if it is not as clever as it sometimes likes to think it is. Pacing very good in the first half, suffering a bit in the second half, as does the plot. The anime, especially, tends to go very overboard on the dramatics. Music, voice-acting, visuals, the entire line-up. You'll know it when you see the dramatic potato chips. Genre... fantasy crime show in modern japan, written from the perspective of the over-the-top bad guy.

Though maybe I'm not the best person to ask, I quit 90% of anime I start very quickly and I haven't watched any in over a year.

Edit: oh yeah, I also like most of Ghibli's movies. A bit moreso those who aren't quite as much written for children.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Seirei no Moribito was recommended above and it has some pretty damn good character work and some of the best combat I've ever seen. That can be recommended. Generally medieval fantasy, very light on the fantasy (except for being set in a world that isn't Earth.)
    Well, it has spirits, and magic, and a separate world, and all that stuff. It's just very low-key, animistic stuff, no BOOM FIREBALL. Helps that Balsa herself is about as aggressively grounded, practical, and nonmagical as a person can humanly be .

But yes. Seirei no Moribito is a really great anime. Really pretty, the characters are really likable, the few fights are great, and the whole thing just clicks together. And it has a genuine grey morality scenario, which a lot fewer works actually pull off than they think they do. The pacing is slow, however - this is a very talky and character development-y anime. Don't expect heavy action going in.

14. - Top - End - #164

After watching Seirei no Moribito I seriously considered learning spearfighting…

15. - Top - End - #165

Duly noted, and thanks for the warning. I will of course be coupling it with other sources like books and online courses (I don't have time to take actually university courses right now as I'm already studying full time). I intend the anime to mostly be a way to surround myself with the language, in addition to using more focused studying tools.
    Alright. Again, don't take what I said in any way to mean you shouldn't do you plan, and I wish you the best of luck with both finding good anime and learning Japanese. がんばってください!
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks. Since both of you suggested Baccano, I'm leaning towards that one. I'm also considering picking up a free trial month on Crunchyroll and just check out some random series.

As I said before, I'm not really sure what my preferences are. I suppose I'm partial to anything that's well written in terms of characters and dialogue, and which has a good pacing. Those are really the most important thing. Things that aren't the typical shounen stereotypes (but that said, I'd lie if I said I didn't enjoy me some awesome combat and burning hearts at times). I couldn't really say that I like any subject over the other, since anime has a tendency to be able to both very stereotypical and completely unpredictable at once.
    Bakemonogatari was recommended once already and is rife with well-written characters and especially good dialogue. Its animation, art direction, and music are also stellar.

Regarding stuff that "many people like," I'd suggest Steins;Gate (sci-fi thriller) and AnoHana (supernatural slice-of-life/drama) as particularly popular and well-regarded entries within their respective genres.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've watched Fullmetal Alchemist before (though it was long ago), and I've read the entirety of Death Note. Pretty dark, that one, but interesting for its different ideas.

I did pick up a Crunchyroll trial month, and I watched the first two episodes of Kill la Kill. That's something I will watch to the end, I feel. It seems to buy into its own ridiculous style so much that it becomes acceptable; it can't be jarring because it's perfectly clear that there's no point of connection to anything reasonable. I also like that there is a female protagonist in what's clearly a shounen series (the uniform is... geh, but that in itself doesn't have to be a problem depending on what becomes of it). It probably won't touch TTGL, but I can feel some of the same crispness in the storytelling that comes from embracing the over the top style to the point where it's a platform of its own. It might get good.

I also watched the first episode of Food Wars!, which apparently is about making people's clothes explode with bacon? That's... not going to be my first choice, I feel.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2015-09-25 at 05:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ex cathedra View Post
    Bakemonogatari was recommended once already and is rife with well-written characters and especially good dialogue. Its animation, art direction, and music are also stellar.

Regarding stuff that "many people like," I'd suggest Steins;Gate (sci-fi thriller) and AnoHana (supernatural slice-of-life/drama) as particularly popular and well-regarded entries within their respective genres.
    Thanks! Both Bakemonogatari and Ghost in the Shell are titles I've been hearing all my life; I'll definitely check them out if the opportunity arises.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the fact that you can't shoot a bullet through it without hitting fifty puns, which if you're partly watching anime to familiarize yourself with the language is arguably a very nice bonus.

(the uniform is... geh, but that in itself doesn't have to be a problem depending on what becomes of it)
    Mostly, surprising amounts of plot-relevance (for both the actual and facetious definitions of "plot").
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-09-25 at 06:05 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    After watching Seirei no Moribito I seriously considered learning spearfighting…
    My favourite fight didn't actually involve any spears. It was an unarmed martial arts tournament and the fight took about 2 seconds. And was amazingly well choreographed and animated.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Really? I mean, I swaw the first two episodes and while i guess the reveal was a surprise after the second episode I was kind off "yeah, another show like that - except with little girls" and lost interest. is there something amazing I'm missing out on?
    Nothing beyond that, nah. It's one of those shows where if it didn't grab you in the first two episodes, it won't grab you for the rest.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    There's also the fact that you can't shoot a bullet through it without hitting fifty puns, which if you're partly watching anime to familiarize yourself with the language is arguably a very nice bonus.
    Hell, even just the name: 化物 and 物語 - both share the kanji 物 ("a thing") with the first part having 化 ("action of becoming X"; "thingification" - 化物 means "monster" both in the positive sense of "one with monstrous/enormous ability" and the actual "unnatural creature", though can refer more specifically to e.g. "ghost"), and the second part carrying 語 - "language"/"speech" (物語 is literally a "thing speech", a tale or a story). Together, 化物語 is of course used to refer to a "ghost story" with a sort of a portmanteau-like construction. It's just beautiful for a language learner: at least for me it really helps with remembering the various kanji when I have to dig through their etymology.

Completely unrelated, is anyone familiar with this "No Game No Life" thingy? I saw one Youtube video and it was remarkably weird but looked sorta Yu-Gi-Ohish to me in concept. I wonder if anyone here has seen it, and as a corollary, if the show is actually clever enough to play with the idea?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2015-09-26 at 05:10 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

23. - Top - End - #173

I found it disappointing and I dropped it. It depends on what you want. If you want games like in Liar Games or Kaiji or something look elsewhere. If you want spectacle you might be entertained.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

NGNL did absolutely nothing for me except increase boredom. I seem to recall it being liked by a couple of people around here, though.

25. - Top - End - #175

Bakemonagatari has animation?
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Oh yes. Several of the LNs have been given the animation treatment.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Very nice animation to especially *Blankframe*monogatari

28. - Top - End - #178

It's okay, dude, I got it.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Completely unrelated, is anyone familiar with this "No Game No Life" thingy? I saw one Youtube video and it was remarkably weird but looked sorta Yu-Gi-Ohish to me in concept. I wonder if anyone here has seen it, and as a corollary, if the show is actually clever enough to play with the idea?
    the show is about clever characters but i don't know if i'd describe the show itself as clever. it's a fairly fun cour, but nothing stellar.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Hell, even just the name: 化物 and 物語 - both share the kanji 物 ("a thing") with the first part having 化 ("action of becoming X"; "thingification" - 化物 means "monster" both in the positive sense of "one with monstrous/enormous ability" and the actual "unnatural creature", though can refer more specifically to e.g. "ghost"), and the second part carrying 語 - "language"/"speech" (物語 is literally a "thing speech", a tale or a story). Together, 化物語 is of course used to refer to a "ghost story" with a sort of a portmanteau-like construction. It's just beautiful for a language learner: at least for me it really helps with remembering the various kanji when I have to dig through their etymology.
    The best part is this is probably the only Japanese pun there is that also works in English; marketing for the show occasionally translates it as "Ghostory."
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2015-09-27 at 12:28 AM.