New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Metal Skeletons?

My necromancer wizard character has an interest in "hard" things, so to speak. Bone, crystals, metals, etc. As part of her character background, she runs a mining operation of mindless skeletal workers and funds her studies with the ore and gems they produce. She'll never create zombies or any kind of "fleshy" undead due to her feeling that they would be soft, smelly, and distasteful. She generally sticks with creating skeletons and occasionally incorporeal undead for specialized purposes.

So I had this crazy idea for an experiment she might undertake. What if the bones of a skeleton were cast in metal before being raised? Bronze or steel might be the first materials to be attempted, but others could come later. Picturing the end result looking something like this (though not as mechanical-looking).

Spoiler
    Show

What do you guys think of this character angle? Could something like this even work? If you were a DM and I presented this idea to you, how would you take it?
    Last edited by tadkins; 2015-08-15 at 08:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Metal Skeletons?

Sounds cool, as long as one doesn't overdo it with the mechanical effects on the stats of the minions.

NPCs will very often (at least in my campaign) be allowed to do unusual stuff that isn't covered by the rules and I generally approve of players trying to think outside the box like that (as long as their intention is 'this would be cool and my character has an in-game reason to want this' and not 'this makes my character overpowered').
    Last edited by Shoat; 2015-08-15 at 08:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There is a spell in the Spell Compendium which is aptly named Iron Bones, I can't recall the effects offhand but it has an ilustration

Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2015-08-15 at 09:03 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

To make it simple, I'd just treat it the same as if the skeletons were wearing armor.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is that skeletons (for the most part) can actually wear armour. One option could be re-fluffing the benefits from the Corpsecrafter feat-chain to come not from magic, but from actual mechanical modifications (be sure to pick one or two ranks in K: Engineering). Hardened Flesh is pretty obvious, you reinforce the skeletons with metal bits giving them more natural armour, deadly chill... you used magically infused cold iron or something like that, IDK.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    There is a spell in the Spell Compendium which is aptly named Iron Bones, I can't recall the effects offhand but it has an ilustration

boosts one corporeal undead's NA by 6 for 10 min/lvl. it's... not very good for a 4th. skeletons' ACs are so poor that this won't really make much of a difference.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7

I thought about doing that with a Spheres of Power necromancer / transmuter recently. What I was going to pitch to the GM was to apply either the Metal-Clad or Ironskinned template, depending on what metal they were plated in (or in my case, transmuted into). Just have them be treated as having a higher HD than their base versions for the purposes of determining how many undead you can control; should work out okay?
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

8. - Top - End - #8

Thanks folks. :)

Yep, I was picturing it as a little system that would only affect things in a small way. At the cost of skill investment (appropriate knowledges and crafts), money (for materials) and perhaps even feats (the Corpsecrafter refluff is a great idea) I could modify my normal summoned minions to be a little tougher and more unique than usual.

Steel skeletons could have extra natural armor. Silver and cold iron skeletons would deal appropriate damage against those who have that DR. Lead skeletons would be invisible to divination, potentially hiding the true numbers of her undead army. As the process is refined and research brings new techniques to light, more exotic metals and even gems could be used to enhance the skeletons further.

9. - Top - End - #9

I think Libris Mortis is the book with the stone skeleton template. It's for animating fossils as skeletons, but you could adapt it to your needs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    I think Libris Mortis is the book with the stone skeleton template. It's for animating fossils as skeletons, but you could adapt it to your needs.
    Revived Fossil, IIRC. Pretty nifty, but requires DM fiat to have access to as a player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

I'm not sure if skeletons have a slam attack, but I'd give metal skeletons one. Something like one die above the standard could work well.

They should all be especially vulnerable to acid attacks, but resistant or immune to another kind of element. Maybe copper/bronze makes them immune to electricity, but iron/steel makes them resistant to fire. If you want to get super complicated, they could have resistance to fire and DR/Adamantine, but if they take fire damage, for every 5 points or so, they temporarily lose 1 point of DR.
    Last edited by FocusWolf413; 2015-08-16 at 12:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

if you awaken (libris mortis) the skeletons they can use their newly acquired skill points to grab some ranks in perform (electric guitar)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    I'm not sure if skeletons have a slam attack, but I'd give metal skeletons one. Something like one die above the standard could work well.

They should all be especially vulnerable to acid attacks, but resistant or immune to another kind of element. Maybe copper/bronze makes them immune to electricity, but iron/steel makes them resistant to fire. If you want to get super complicated, they could have resistance to fire and DR/Adamantine, but if they take fire damage, for every 5 points or so, they temporarily lose 1 point of DR.
    Aren't there types of metal that a Rust Monster can't eat? You could find a strong metal among those to gain resistance/immunity to acid, but you'll probably end up with a vulnerability to fire or cold damage.

14. - Top - End - #14

I don't think there's any metal called out that a rust monster can't eat. IRL, the only non-oxidizing metal is gold, unless a chemist here wants to correct me on that. Fantasy metals, tough to say. Mithral is some sort of superlative silver, and in some supplements I've seen it listed as tarnishing black as silver does. Adamantium is sometimes made out to be meteoric iron or steel, but not always. Although the image of half-rusted meteoric iron skeletons is pretty cool, in a very necromancer's nuclear winter sort of world. Like Terminator's dark future translated to high fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    I don't think there's any metal called out that a rust monster can't eat. IRL, the only non-oxidizing metal is gold, unless a chemist here wants to correct me on that. Fantasy metals, tough to say. Mithral is some sort of superlative silver, and in some supplements I've seen it listed as tarnishing black as silver does. Adamantium is sometimes made out to be meteoric iron or steel, but not always. Although the image of half-rusted meteoric iron skeletons is pretty cool, in a very necromancer's nuclear winter sort of world. Like Terminator's dark future translated to high fantasy.
    stainless steel, chrome, nickel, iron, copper, cobalt, molybdenum, tungsten, and titanium. These metals are more likely to resist corrosion, and properly treated, would be practically immune. So an army of Copper Skeletons would be pretty bad ass. Could call em' "The Coppers of the Penny Forge".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would simply treat it as a weaker (or stronger) iron bones spell. Normally, the spell gives a natural armor bonus of +6, which you could adjust to meet your needs based on how tough the metal was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A skill check that allows you to squeeze through the anus will allow you to get through the rest of the digestive system.
    Sometimes I wonder if anything that comes out of my mouth actually makes sense.

17. - Top - End - #17

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by 5w337x7007h View Post
    stainless steel, chrome, nickel, iron, copper, cobalt, molybdenum, tungsten, and titanium. These metals are more likely to resist corrosion, and properly treated, would be practically immune. So an army of Copper Skeletons would be pretty bad ass. Could call em' "The Coppers of the Penny Forge".
    Stainless steel doesn't really count. It's an alloy. Iron and copper aren't corrosion resistant. Iron and steel rust easily, and copper turns bright green when exposed to moisture for a while. Those two metals definitely aren't resistant to acid erosion.

Also, to answer the other person, no, gold isn't the only non-oxidizing metal. Platinum is also highly unreactive, but both are poor choices for coating skeletons. They're too soft, too heavy, and too valuable.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

You could treat it as increasing the skeletons' hit dice. The metal makes them tougher, harder to destroy (more hp), and a little bit better at clawing through other things' armor (higher BAB), but also is a step away from the "natural" corpse with which necromancy normally works, requiring more power to animate (more onyx, more impact on your HD cap for animation and controlling). Maybe makes their natural weapons "masterwork" and further enchantable; makes them inelligible for spellcarving (since you can't get to the bone anymore).

No need to spend a feat on it; you're expending more money and other undead-control-related resources.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    Stainless steel doesn't really count. It's an alloy. Iron and copper aren't corrosion resistant. Iron and steel rust easily, and copper turns bright green when exposed to moisture for a while. Those two metals definitely aren't resistant to acid erosion.

Also, to answer the other person, no, gold isn't the only non-oxidizing metal. Platinum is also highly unreactive, but both are poor choices for coating skeletons. They're too soft, too heavy, and too valuable.
    I can imagine a rich necromancer making an army of gold and platinum skeletons and calling it the Bling Squad.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ