The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown V

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "You said it yourself, Sieghard is the talk of the town." Ludo said simply. "What red-blooded young man wouldn't want to join the beast-slayers? To fight for the soldier who cleaved the warboss's head from his shoulders! The best recruiters will get the best men - you don't want children with pitchforks, I doubt you want children with rifles either. An investment now, and you could have as fearsome a force as the brotherhood or the Danxome."
    "Ah, Master Halfling," said Abdul, "that may be, but I have a responsibility to my captain. And fame does not make a commander on its own." He looked to Sieghard. "No-one questions your courage, my friend, but can you lead as well as you fight? I cannot gamble the whole armoury on one man."

He shook his head sadly. "I promised you first choice. If you want the guns, you shall have them. But I will answer to Sforza if I give away the crossbows as well." He gestured around them. "Will you not take some armour instead? Evatt's men left behind some fine leather and padded jacks."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown V

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "A good start..." Sieghard muttered to himself as he counted the crossbows. Not nearly enough, however, he thought.

He shook his head when talk turned to the firearms. "We don't need the guns," he said. "There's not nearly enough for a proper unit. Besides, I've never used one myself, I wouldn't know where to begin teaching anyone else how to use one. The armor will do fine, some swords as well after they've mastered the crossbows - I don't want them helpless if the enemy manages to get close. Those can wait until later though."

"What we do need is more crossbows," Sieghard continued, "The weapons here are a good start, but if the captain would prefer more than twenty men, these aren't enough. If more could be found, would the captain be willing to fund their purchase? If it came to that, the money from selling even one of the guns would buy several and crossbows are no less deadly."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not going for the guns, but rolling haggle anyways in case one is needed for anything else in this.

(1d100)[55] vs 29 (possible bonus for Ludo's charm test?)
    (1d100)[56] reroll if needed.

Well... The roll was better. Al-makir's fellowship is probably higher though.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-08-15 at 12:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, but who do we sell them to, my friend?" grinned Abdul. "When selling weapons, one must always be careful in whose hands they end up."

"I'm sure I can see to it that your men get enough crossbows for a full complement," he said, looking back to the stock in the armoury. "Why don't you take these twenty for now, and I'll see to the rest. The armour too." He smiled. "As for swords, we will see. You may have to outbid some others in that department." He patted Sieghard amicably on the arm. "These crossbows ought to be enough for now."

"Come! You said you needed some funds for horses? We can see to that too."

The paymaster's chest had been stashed securely somewhere in the castle, but Abdul seemed to have smaller caches in enough places that only he could track them all. Leading them to a small room he had appropriated, he unlocked an iron box and began counting out coins.

"Of course, you understand this is a little irregular... technically, you should not be receiving any money from the Captain until after the proving day." He smiled again. "Fortunately, I have a little set aside, for the assistance of... good friends."

Scooping the gold into a leather pouch, he placed it on the table.

"Here. This ought to be enough for a cart and horses. All I ask in return is that when you are rich and famous, you remember your good friend Abdul." He smiled at Sieghard with an open face. "And what would you say to..." - he shrugged - "...a ten percent stake in your fine regiment?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pouch contains 180 gc.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-08-15 at 12:25 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "An investment," Sieghard replied. "A show of faith in my abilities after my actions defending the caravan and on the bridge. Should my men fail to meet the captain's expectations, the weapons and armor can be given to those more worthy."

"Here. This ought to be enough for a cart and horses. All I ask in return is that when you are rich and famous, you remember your good friend Abdul. And what would you say to... a ten percent stake in your fine regiment?"

Sieghard has been expecting something like this. He didn't care for the thought of being indebted to a man a shrewd as Al-Makir. "Your generosity is appreciated, Herr Al-Makir," he said, eyeing the pouch, "But it won't be necessary. We should have funds enough for our current expenses left from the gold taken from the ruins. I will remember your offer if more gold is needed in the future, though."

"When we first returned from the ruins," he continued after a pause, "I recall that you promised each of us a soldier's share of any more gold the captain's men managed to remove from them. Would I be right in guessing that Herr Valdes was successful?" He didn't expect that a "soldier's share" would be anything large, but every crown would help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Relevant link about the gold from the ruins.

Once this is sorted out, Sieghard also wants to see Barthold's horse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Your generosity is appreciated, Herr Al-Makir," he said, eyeing the pouch, "But it won't be necessary. We should have funds enough for our current expenses left from the gold taken from the ruins. I will remember your offer if more gold is needed in the future, though."
    "A withdrawal, then," said Abdul. He looked a bit disappointed, but quickly hid it, scribbling down a note of the amount. "Very well. I assume you'll still be wanting the gold? I'll deduct it from your store."

"When we first returned from the ruins," he continued after a pause, "I recall that you promised each of us a soldier's share of any more gold the captain's men managed to remove from them. Would I be right in guessing that Herr Valdes was successful?" He didn't expect that a "soldier's share" would be anything large, but every crown would help.
    "Why, you are correct," said Abdul. "That would be... a crown, six schillings and eight pfennigs apiece." He counted out the coins. "Though that is small change for you now, hey? Commander," he grinned.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "A withdrawl," Sieghard confirmed with a nod. "Half of what you have here should be enough for now. If I need more, I will find you again." He turned to Ludo and Viggo "Do either of you need to withdraw any money?"

He waited until Al-Makir had finished counting out the coins before speaking again. "I would also like to see the horse you mentioned. The one that belonged to Barthold."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "I believe it's tied up at the mill," said Abdul. "The miller had some designs on it... but if you take this, I think you will be able to take possession without too much trouble." Tearing off a slip of parchment, Abdul wrote out a docket for the horse and passed it to Sieghard. "I will have the arms and armour ready for collection whenever you are ready to take them."

Showing the three of them to the door, Abdul offered his hand one more time. "Best of luck in your endeavour, friend. I am very glad to have you fighting on our side."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "As am I," Sieghard said, grasping Abdul's hand. He was far more concerned about the task before him than he had shown, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

"Viggo, fetch Magnus and meet us at the mill," he said as they left the castle. "After we collect my horse, we'll need to find a cart for the crossbows. Ludo, if you're not too busy with your cannon, you can come with me."

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose a cart is probably fine for the time being...

Gossip roll if necessary to find one
    (1d100)[54] vs 39 Gossip
    (1d100)[85] reroll

Haggle roll for the price
    (1d100)[32] vs 29 Haggle
    (1d100)[59] reroll

Also a gossip roll to see if Sieghard can find anything better than bales of straw for targets. They'd certainly be usable, but he wouldn't pass on something nicer if it could be found.
    (1d100)[79] vs 39 Gossip
    (1d100)[82] reroll

Not sure if the reroll from before was needed (or even the initial roll since we passed on the guns), but if it was, Sieghard has 2 rerolls available and if it wasn't, 3.

Once all of that is seen to, he'll ride out west of Manaan's Keep and search for a suitable place to use for target practice. I'm assuming this wont require any rolling.

A few further questions... Does Barthold's horse still have its harness and saddle or will Sieghard need to replace them? Also, does the horse have a name?
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-08-15 at 03:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll concentrate on the cannon, if you don't mind." Ludo said. "If there's any powder in town, I want to claim it before I have to ask around for it, which might seem suspicious."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Not Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    They found the horse where Abdul had said it would be, tied up outside the mill. The miller and a bevy of hired hands were hard at work trying to patch up the damage the orcs had done in their attempts to ford the river here - the great water wheel was still standing, but half the roof was broken in and half the building was scorched by fire.

The miller was understandably disgruntled when Sieghard showed up with his docket from the castle, but didn't make too much of a fuss - word got around, and like most of the men helping rebuild his mill he recognised the man who'd killed the Warboss. As Sieghard led the horse away, he turned and asked its name.

"How should I know?" snapped the miller irritably, heading back to his work. One of the labourers lending a hand - a man still wearing the stained and tattered remains of one of Evatt's uniforms - lingered to tell Sieghard the answer. "Wouter," he said. "Sir Barthold called him Wouter."

The big black horse whinnied and flicked his ears, clearly recognising the name.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saddle and harness included.

~

Aldo the ostler was more than happy to part with his cart when he saw the shine of Sieghard's gold, though he proved too shrewd to be haggled down below fifty crowns. Harnessing a rather reluctant Magnus to the traces, they brought the cart up to the castle gates, where Abdul men loaded it down with crossbows and leather jacks.

"I'll have the rest for you within the week, Master Sieghard," said Abdul. "Make good use of these now."

The last item of cargo was loaded - a sack full of leather quivers, containing all the crossbow bolts Abdul's men had managed to scrape together from the keep. Snorting and putting his head down, Magnus started the much slower descent from the mound with the fully-laden cart in tow.

Over the next few days, the three companions set to work with a will. Ludo supervised the retrieval of the remaining ammunition from the wreck of the Manann's Blessing, finding a rack of six cannonballs and a small barrel of powder in the bows. Making enquiries around town as to where he could find more, he was quickly pointed to the large workshed by the stream, now vacant. Heading over there the next day, he found himself in what was left of Oberth's little kingdom.

Huge sheets of parchment covered with smudged-ink designs were nailed up on one rough timber wall, showing every detail of the miraculous steam-ship (and on a table in the corner, plans for another twice the size). What looked like a small forge - now cold - had been built in one corner, while the abandoned remains of scaffolding clung around the void where the Manann's Blessing had steamed out of its berth and into the open air.

There were three more barrels of blackpowder in the shed, the same size and with the same maker's mark - Ludo recognised it as a dwarfish rune. By the forge, he found a case of round-shot, twenty-four balls in all. The case was heavy enough that he was unable to move it unaided. Fortunately, they had a cart now, and with the assistance of Sieghard's horse - who bridled a little at being reduced to a draft animal - the heavy shot were brought back to the barracks that had become their base. Ludo also managed to find a local wainwright to have a look at fitting the gun with a proper carriage. The man offered to make one for twenty crowns.

Viggo, meanwhile, headed out into the Thornwood on Magnus. Touring the scattered homesteads and charcoal-burners' huts around the route of what he was calling their glorious march from Mirino, he told increasingly exaggerated stories of the battle for the bridge and his companions' feats of bravery. Though they were scruffy and often smelly, he could tell he had caught the interest of the young men he was talking to - more than the chance to fight for the man who'd killed the beast that burned their homes, he was offering a chance of riches and glory beyond what a humble forester could hope for in their ordinary lives. Playing up the scale and martial reputation of the Captain's army, he was soon sending a steady trickle of impressed recruits back towards Manann's Keep.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled Storyteller for Viggo and rolled a 7! Viggo recruits (3d10)[13] impressionable young saps in 3 days.

Sieghard had his hands fairly full receiving them, and turning away those obviously unfit for duty. For many of them, encountering the scar-faced mercenary was a shock to the system after Viggo's tall tales of heroism, but the barracks began to steadily fill up. Many of them had brought hunting bows and knives, but Sieghard saw to it that they were issued crossbows and leather jacks from Abdul's stash. Aisha proved invaluable in keeping the place in order, tracking the weapons in and out of the stores and sweeping up after the sometimes rather hapless volunteers.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard has to reject (1d3)[2] volunteers as unfit to serve. (2d5)[4] of the recruits bring bows, and almost all of them bring small blades functionally equivalent to a dagger. It's your decision whether you let them keep their personal arms or pool them into the stores. (1d3)[3] of the volunteers are also women - it's your choice whether Sieghard accepts them or tries to keep the regiment all-male.

In his minimal spare time, he rode out into the country south-west of Manann's Keep in search of a good practice ground. He located a high meadow near the edge of the Karst that seemed like a good spot - it was screened by a spur of jagged rocks, which would hopefully stop any stray bolts hitting passers-by. Unfortunately, he could not find anyone to make real archery butts for his troop - improvised targets would have to do for now.

Elsa did her best to keep abreast of her friends' activities, but found her time monopolised by the Captain and his officers. They were drawing up plans to send out patrols to every corner of Sforza's new territory, both to hunt down the remaining greenskins from the rout of Magog's army and to secure the borders against opportunistic neiighbours. By way of these meetings, Elsa learned that another assault on Savonne had been repulsed - apparently the Dwimmulson dwarfs were with the besiegers, and had tried to undermine the walls with mixed success. For now, the elf still held the walls against the alliance of Alvarr, Rorik and Groz.

Having convinced the Captain to add hunting for local hedge wizards to his troops' duties, Elsa spent what little time she did have free trying to master her newly-adopted mount, Bastard. The big destrier bore her only grudgingly, but did at least stop actively trying to kill her after the first two days. Most of the time, at least.

Marktag, 31st Sigmarzeit

It was three days later that Adelbert came riding back into Manann's Keep, on the back of a small bay horse that Ludo hadn't seen before. Viggo had just returned with the last of his recruits, and Sieghard had assembled the whole sorry pack on the open ground beside the stream.

The new recruits had just been issued their kit when a gaggle of men approached the barracks. A good number of them were dressed in the green and blue of Evatt's men, although their uniforms had clearly seen better days - what was notable, however, was that they were armed. Most had swords, daggers or clubs, and six were carrying halberds much like the ones Sieghard had seen in the armoury.

Their leader was a short, stocky man, with a scarred face and a head as bald as an egg. Marching right up to Sieghard, he shouldered his polearm and craned his neck to look down his nose at the taller man.

"What's this then?" he said, his voice the rough bark of a drill sergeant. "Vagabonds and layabouts, squattin' in the Commander's barracks. Shameful, it is."

"This here," he said, turning smartly and gesturing with his halberd towards the gang of men behind him, "is the real army of Manann's Keep. Any of you lads want to learn proper fighting," - he addressed this remark to the recruits, raising his voice to a shout - "you sign up with us, you hear? Sign up with Sergeant Fischwillen's lads." He shouldered the halberd. "Proper marchin' and proper fightin', in proper uniforms, the good old green and blue. You'll not be having with brigands like this."

His impromptu speech concluded, he turned to Sieghard. "Heard you was living in our barracks. People say you stuck some green pig on the bridge, but that don't mean nothing to me and my lads. We was here fightin' before you and your lot decided to get your boots dirty." He spat on the ground. "So you'll be givin' us our barracks back, along with them leather jacks you stole, and we'll call it even."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

It had been a tiring three days for man and horse. Adelbert was not an experienced rider and Bella (as he'd named his new mare in what had seemed a wiser decision when Sforza was further away) was not a big horse. Still together the duo had covered the distance from Savonne to Ravenskird to Painford to Mannan's Keep well enough that Adelbert affectionately promised her a fresh apple as a reward.

As the dusty duo trotted into the town Adelbert watched the mass of men with interest. Clearly events had been taking place in his absence. He dismounted more or less successfully and taking Bella by the reins, began leading the bay around the back of the recruits, trying to catch the eyes of his friends.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay three days mean three Heal Tests.

Heal: (1d100)[18] vs. 46

Heal: (1d100)[85] vs. 46

Heal: (1d100)[53] vs. 46

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard And His New Bestest Buddy

Sieghard matched the other man's stare expressionlessly. "Are you finished?" he asked after letting the silence linger for a moment.

"A lot of good your real army was cowering behind the safety of the walls," he began, raising his voice so the crowd could hear, "While your cravens were hiding from a pack of green savages I was fighting alongside real men. The fact that Commander Evatt ever put his faith in a men like you explains better than anything why Manaan's Keep came so close to falling and why Evatt himself is now dead."

"Captain Sforza doesn't intend to let that happen again and for that he needs soldiers more capable than you. This lot is a bit rough yet, but they didn't fail when their commander needed them most. And as long as they aren't wasted under a man like you, they'll do fine."

"Now leave my sight before I decide there's another pig that needs to be gutted."

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained intimidate vs 26
    (1d100)[57]
    (1d100)[62] Reroll if needed

I suppose I shouldn't be too disappointed... Most of my good rolls went into the battle and that's more important than an occasional intimidate or haggle.

Sieghard isn't turning anyone away yet (obvious exception being those clearly unfit like the two mentioned before). He's only got 11 to work with at the moment and he doesn't particularly care that 3 are women. Given the ahosi, he doubts Sforza would either. They've got the same chance prove themselves as any of the other recruits, though he'll be quick to step in if he sees any problems arising from a mixed unit, either caused by them or the men.

He'll allow them to keep ownership of their personal weaponry, though it'll be kept in the barracks for now. For the time being, all of their time is going to be going into marching and crossbow training. He will take note of the four who brought bows though... Both because they're likely to be a bit quicker to learn than the rest and because pre-existing skill with a bow may be useful later on.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-08-15 at 06:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Fischwillen spluttered and reddened at the affront.

"You 'ear that lads?" he shouted. "Calls us cowards, does 'e?" He gave Sieghard a dirty stare. "Don't s'pose you'd want to test that now, do ye? Your gang of boys and 'ores against a troop of real soldiers." He spat on the ground at Sieghard's feet.

At that moment, Sieghard heard the rumble of wheels. A heavily-laden wagon was pulling into the square, one of Abdul's Arabyans at the reins. Abdul was standing on the back, a few more of his men with him.

"Master Sieghard!" called the paymaster, cheerily. "The crossbows I promised you." He gestured expansively to the contents of the wagon, before stepping down and approaching the confrontation in front of the barracks as if it were a friendly conversation. "I see you've met Sergeant Fischwillen."

Fischwillen did an about face to face Al-Makir, and snapped off a salute worthy of an Altdorf parade-ground. "Sir! Just talking to these gentlemen about their usin' our barracks, sir!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-08-15 at 06:20 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard And His Best Friend Forever

"Ah, Herr Al-Makir. Wonderful timing," Sieghard said in a far more cordial tone than he had been using moments before. He walked over to the wagon and took one of the crossbows.

"As you can see, Herr Fish," he said, "My men will be training with crossbows primarily. If you're volunteering your men as targets, however, I can see no better use for them and would gladly accept your offer." As he spoke, he pointed the crossbow (still unloaded of course) at Fischwillen and motioned as though he had fired it.

"You lot!" he shouted to his recruits, "Get these inside. Herr Al-Makir is a busy man and I'll not take up any more of his time than needed."

"Herr Fish seems to be confused," Sieghard said, turning his attention back to Sforza's paymaster. "It seems he hasn't learned that the barracks belong to my men now. He even went as far as to suggest stealing the captain's armor. Are you sure such a man can be trusted?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2015-08-15 at 06:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"The good sergeant must have got confused," said Al-Makir, smoothly. Behind him, Sieghard's new recruits began hastily unloading the crossbows from the cart. "Sergeant, we will be billeting your men in the longhouses by the keep. Master Sieghard here has appropriated these barracks for his crossbow troop."

Fischwillen nodded obediently, while still glaring daggers at Sieghard. "Yes sir. Right you are sir." He turned back to his men. "Troop! About face!"

They turned as one, but not all in the same direction. There was a brief period of confusion, punctuated by Fischwillen's barked curses as subjected those who had turned the wrong way to an inventive stream of abuse. Abdul watched them march off towards the keep with a slightly amused look.

"A perfect specimen of the Grand Commander's soldiery," said the paymaster, keeping his voice low. "No, my friend, I wouldn't trust him to do anything but pocket his pay and bully his men. But he'll teach them to march and follow orders, and if we are to rival Alvarr and his alliance we need all the men we can get."

Flashing Sieghard a toothy smile, he raised his voice back to more audible levels. "Good luck with your training, Master Sieghard! I see you have already recruited a fine body of men." He looked over the hurrying recruits. "And women. Well, keep them coming, eh? What is it you say in Reikspiel... the more the merrier."

He turned to leave, then looked down at the cannon sitting incongruously in the yard. Looking back to Sieghard and the others.

"That is a very fine gun," he said, leaving the sentence hanging in the air for a while. "What do you plan to do with it?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"A perfect specimen of the Grand Commander's soldiery. No, my friend, I wouldn't trust him to do anything but pocket his pay and bully his men. But he'll teach them to march and follow orders, and if we are to rival Alvarr and his alliance we need all the men we can get."

"Men trained by that oaf are good for little more than catching Alvarr's arrows," Sieghard replied. "But if no one else can be found to train them, I suppose it's better they die than other soldiers." As he watched Fischwillen leave, he was deeply relieved to see his men were no better than Sieghard's own recruits. He had no doubt he would've been able to best the sergeant in a fight one on one, but he didn't have high expectations of men and women who had yet to receive any actual training.

"That is a very fine gun. What do you plan to do with it?"

"Restore it," Sieghard replied, "And aim it at our enemies." He knew Ludo would've preferred to keep quiet about the project, but there was little point when Al-Makir had already seen it. "Evatt's men may have left much to be desired, but his weapons were quite a bit more impressive. It's a side project - the crossbow troop comes first. Still, I would not see such a fine gun wasted."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"I was thinking of blowing the doors off Alvarr's keep for starters." Ludo said smartly. "Although Commander Sieghard of course is in command. I was hoping to surprise the Capitano with it on Sondstill, though since you know about it now, I wonder if you know where we could find any of Evatt's old artillerists. Unless sargeant Fischwillen is emblematic of their quality, in which case we might do better just throwing everything together and seeing what happens when we put a match to it."

Ludo and Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo approached Adelbert as he was stabling his mare, and furnished his friend with an unexpected hug. He helped Adelbert feed the horse before speaking up. "Can we have a conversation? In private?"

Once a suitable place had been found, he turned to Adelbert sombrely, and took a minute before speaking.

"You work for Alvarr. "It wasn't a question. He took a deep breath before speaking, and it came out in a rush.

"I... I think I'd like to help you. I think what Sforza did... Wasn't right."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2015-08-16 at 02:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

Discretely avoiding Abdul, Adelbert led Bella away to be stabled.

Ludo and Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scribe was surprised at the hug, but after a moment returned it happily. "Of course. This is Bella by the way; I'm fairly certain she won't talk even if she overhears us."

Adelbert listens to Ludo in silence, his face growing tight. "Yes... I do work for the Duke. I was in Savonne telling him about the fall of Mannan's Keep, and that I think Sforza cut a deal with the orcs and might have been behind the destruction of Evtt's ship. Not that I can prove it of course but we both know what type of man the captain is."

He brooded for a moment, pulling his beard. "Do you remember Fraulein Faber from Handrich's Cross? She led a merchants caravan to Mirino and I remember her getting very angry over being bbled for gold by Abdul and Sforza. I could be wrong but if anyone around here would have less reason to like Sforza it might be her. I'm planning on setting up shop in Handrich's Cross and finding out; with Bella here I'll be able to stay in touch with Mannan's Keep."

He hesitated, obviously considering another matter. "Ludo... if we do find the book we can't let Sforza have it. I don't even want to give it to Alvarr and I like him. Do you think we can persuade Elsa to return it to the priestess?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"I was thinking of blowing the doors off Alvarr's keep for starters." Ludo said smartly. "Although Commander Sieghard of course is in command. I was hoping to surprise the Capitano with it on Sondstill, though since you know about it now, I wonder if you know where we could find any of Evatt's old artillerists. Unless sargeant Fischwillen is emblematic of their quality, in which case we might do better just throwing everything together and seeing what happens when we put a match to it."
    "Perhaps... far away from town, yes?" said Abdul. He nodded. "Well, that sounds like a fine plan. I'm sure the Captain will look forward to witnessing your demonstration." He scratched his beard. "I wish I could help you, but I think the gun crew died with Evatt and his machine. There might be one or two who weren't on board - you should ask the townspeople. It would be a terrible shame to see them drafted into Fischwillen's company before you could get your hands on them."

Turning back to his now-empty cart, he rattled off rapid orders in Arabyan to his men, who began to turn it around. "Well, good luck my friends," he said. "Oh, Sieghard - how is that other assignment going? The one we discussed at Mitterfruhl. All well, I hope."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-08-16 at 07:08 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Better than expected," Sieghard answered. He approached Al-Makir and said something too too quiet to be overheard.

to Al-Makir
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Truthfully, I haven't even seen her talking to any strange men," he said. "It seems she has put her work for the captain above her own desires."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Abdul raised a quizzical eyebrow at whatever Sieghard had whispered to him, and patted the mercenary on the arm.

"Well, keep up the good work, my friend," he said. "I'll look forward to seeing what you have to show us on Sonstill."

With a cheery wave to Sieghard's followers, the paymaster headed back towards the keep.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert And Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo hadn't even thought about the book. "If we give it to Sforza, I think he'll just give it to Elsa... But I don't think we'll be able to persuade her. She's failed him twice already, she wont want to do so again. The priestess wanted us to destroy it, or we could try and find Fassbender. She likes you - see if you can make contact."

"I can stay here and keep an eye out for you, and give you any updates. Sforza has asked the local soldiers to form mercenary groups for him, mustering to be proven by Sondstill - it could be that that's when he intends to move? Though it would be a bit soon. Sieghard's group is already well in Al'Makir's favor, and I think there might be an opportunity to keep my ear to the ground there. I'm putting the cannon from the Manaan's Blessing to use as part of Sieghard's regiment, so I should be kept at least a little bit informed."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert's eyes widened at news of the mercenary companies - and cannon! - but it made sense of what he had seen when he rode in. He smiled ruefully at the Halfling: "Should we ever leave Sforza's grasp I'd be happy to serve as chaplain of our regiment, but yes until then I'd appreciate your letters. I intend to come to Mannan's Keep once a week or so so I won't be that out of touch, and I'll keep a look out for Fassbender. And for Sigmar's sake be careful my friend - Sforza is no fool and neither are his courtiers. Opposing him is a dangerous game."

He paused looking suddenly tired. "Come on, let's get something to eat and drink. I'll bring Aisha. We don't have to topple the Captain today after all."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

On the morning of Backertag the 32nd, Adelbert and Aisha packed up their things and rode out of town on Bella's back. The heavily-laden horse bore the weight well as she stoically plodded out of town, while Aisha waved to Sieghard and the others as they headed over the north bridge.

Handrich's Cross was less than a day's travel north of Manann's Keep, but the change in scenery was quite stark. The tangled edge of the Thornwood fell away to their left, while the imposing rocks of the Black Karst rose up around the green fields and meadows Adelbert and Aisha travelled through. Adelbert could see clearly why the locals called this the Hidden Vale - with the dense forest to the west and the Karst to every other side, this fertile strip seemed cut off from the rest of the world.

The village was situated at a crossroads between the narrow trails that criss-crossed the low country between the rocks, a market cross at its centre. On the rocky flanks of the valley to the east, Adelbert could see mine-workings, much like the ones in Sermena. This town seemed richer than Sermena was, however - the houses were large and well-built, in the Imperial style.

Resting at the local inn - the Tilted Scales - Adelbert made enquiries after Frau Faber, and found her soon enough - she seemed to be a respected figure in the local community. She was busy up at the mine that afternoon, but in the evening both she and the man Adelbert remembered as Pistol turned up in the Scales

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Happy? Of course we're not happy," said Faber, surprisingly forthcoming with her dislike for the new ruler in Manann's Keep. "Sforza was always a highwayman in a fancy suit of armour. Now he doesn't even need to get out of bed to dip into our purse."

Sighing, she ordered a drink. "Still, there's bugger all we can do about it. I suppose the downside of a lord who does nothing is eventually they get deposed by those that don't."

They passed the evening quite pleasantly, grousing about the new regime. Pistol jogged Faber's memory about Adelbert's last journey with them, and soon Adelbert felt he had made two new friends.

"Say, you said you were a priest now?" said Pistol. "We could use a priest in these parts. Last feller moved on some years ago." He looked to Faber, who nodded. "There's an old shrine up by Fork Rock, needs looking after. Don't know if you'd be interested."

The next morning, Adelbert headed up to the landmark Pistol had told him of - a spur of stone protruding into the valley that time and weather had split into two precipitous spikes. Sure enough, on the path between the village and the mine, a wooden shrine had been erected. It now looked a little neglected, but the well-worn tracks to its front door showed that the people still came here to make their devotions.

Inside was a space for worship, adorned with simple wooden effigies of the gods - Adelbert recognised Taal and Rhya, along with Shallya and - a little surprisingly - a small totem of Sigmar's hammer. In pride of place was a large gilded disc which Adelbert recognised as the symbol of Handrich, god of merchants and shrewd dealing. In a less prominent corner of the shrine was the forbidding figure of Morr, with a representation of a lean dog lounging at his feet.

There were quarters for a live-in keeper towards the back, considerably more run-down than the front hall - but Aisha seemed to believe it could be restored to livable condition with a day or two's hard work. Together, they set about making it a chapel fit for the glory of Verena.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up to you what modifications you want to make to the chapel - the villagers will help, but you'll probably have to pay for materials etc. out of pocket.

Back in Manann's Keep, Viggo's recruiting efforts proved there were more strings to his bow than just getting maimed by orcs. In total he mustered up nineteen more good recruits from the Thornwood, the Vale and Manann's Keep, even stealing a couple of ex-garrison members from under Fischwillen's nose. Four more of the Thornwood recruits brought bows with them, one more being a woman - bringing the regiment's female complement up to four. All the women had come from the Thornwood, and more than one had lost their home, their family both to the orcs - Sieghard found nothing to complain about in the intensity with which they now gave themselves to their training.

The thing that brought Viggo back to Manann's Keep most often was his horsemanship lessons with Elsa, who had established herself with quarters in the castle. The town was no longer such a hive of military activity, with most of Sforza's soldiers now out spreading word to the far-flung towns and hamlets of his new domain, or else hunting down the scattered remnants of Magog's horde. From what she gleaned from her meetings with Sforza and his officers, Elsa knew Savonne still held out against its besiegers. This seemed to please the Captain, but still Elsa got the impression that Sforza knew something about the situation she didn't - from a few unguarded comments, she gathered another assault was expected soon.

Trade with Last Water had now been restored, with the Caerfort road no longer a death sentence for traders travelling alone - wagons and caravans were arriving in Manann's Keep almost daily. It was with one of these caravans that the Lady Irene arrived in Manann's Keep, bringing with her Father Barbaro and a small escort of guards. Elsa found herself unreasonably irritated by the way the townsfolk gathered round to gawp at her arrival, seeming much more bewitched by the beauty of the Captain's wife than by the genuine magic Elsa had done to save them.

For the first few days after Irene's arrival, the atmosphere in the keep seemed harmonious - however, it wasn't long until the fights started again. Elsa was glad to find an excuse to get out of the castle and into the surrounding countryside, joining Makeda and her ahosi in the effort to hunt down the remaining greenskins. At least, that was what she said she was doing - in reality she joined them for no more than a couple of hours a day, spending the rest of her time riding the Thornwood in search of an animal suitable for binding as a familiar. She'd seen the power bound up in Ortolanus, and wanted something like that for herself. Despite the hours she spent searching, all her hunt turned up were a few nasty squirrel-bites, and an alarming encounter with a wild boar that might have been a survivor from the orcish cavalry. Bastard also did his best to scrape Elsa off on any low-hanging branches he could find - so it was good riding practice, at least.

She also managed to pay a discreet visit to the small group of Filomena's girls who had established themselves in town, and who pointed out to her a weed growing locally that, when chewed, was supposed to reduce the chances of pregnancy. They warned her however to be careful - too much, apparently, was poison.

Sieghard, meanwhile, had his time almost entirely occupied by the training of his new regiment. The first week was spent teaching them the fundamentals of marching as a unit. After he deemed their marching skills acceptable, he set them to target practice, shooting at bales of straw he'd bought for the purpose. None of them were outstanding marksmen - even those hunters Viggo had recruited from the Thornwood were more used to shooting with bows than crossbows - but after a little more than two weeks and a great deal of spent bolts, Sieghard had most of them hitting their marks.

Ludo had little time to attend the practice sessions, being busy with his personal project of restoring the cannon. His attempts at badgering Sussman about the whereabouts of Evatt's cannon crew met with little success - Sussman seemed to have integrated into Sforza's court in Manann's Keep with suspicious ease, and now spent most of his days at the castle. On the few occasions that Ludo could collar him, Sussman shrugged his shoulders and professed ignorance, claiming the ship and its cannons had been Oberth's private domain.

Despairing of getting anything useful out of Evatt's old adviser, Ludo instead joined Viggo on one of his recruitment trips out to Handrich's Cross, looking to dig up some information about Oberth himself. Having called in on Adelbert and Aisha, he took a trip up to the mine, to see the miraculous steam pump - still functional - that Oberth had installed there. The locals in Handrich's Cross all seemed to remember Werner as equal parts brilliant and mad - though they were saddened to hear of his death, they didn't seem surprised at the way it had happened.

Following up among those who'd known the man, Ludo found out where he'd sourced his gunpowder. Apparently there were mule trains that traversed the Karst to the Uplands, although the volume of trade they carried was fairly pitiful compared to that on the roads and the river. Their first port of call was Putbad, and Oberth's powder had been purchased from the Dwimmulson dwarfs in exile there.

The cannon itself had apparently been forged in Handrich's Cross by the same smith who had helped Oberth construct the pump. Ludo tracked the man down, and although he'd never seen the cannon fired, he still had the detailed plans Werner had given him to build from. Perusing Oberth's smudged annotations on the old parchments, Ludo reckoned he might have gleaned enough to figure out how to load and fire the cannon himself - if he was brave enough. The blacksmith said he'd let him have the old papers for a schilling.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can order gunpowder from the mule traders, at a rate of 15 gc for a small barrel. The price is non-negotiable, as they have to pay the dwarfs as the other end of the trail. It will arrive just in time for Sonstill.

Returning to town, Ludo oversaw the construction of his new gun-carriage, and spent what time he had left playing card games with Sieghard's new recruits. They had a few Thornwood variations on old favourites that he hadn't seen before - and as a result of learning them, he ended up out of pocket to the tune of one gold crown.

In the run-up to Sonstill, the town once again became an anthill of activity. Viggo's enthusiasm had not been dampened by his weeks in the woods, and he now spent every moment when he was not watching the crossbow practice or the firing of the big gun buzzing about town on "important regimental business". Foremost on his mind was the idea of uniforms and a banner for the troop, like he had seen on the state troops of the Elector back in Hochland. Locating the local clothiers who had supplied Evatt's troops with their own gaudy uniforms, he saw about getting a quote.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's a quote for various bits; you decide what you want to buy.

Breeches + jerkins: 1 gc per person.
    Boots: 18s per pair. 1gc for hobnailed boots, which will last much longer under intense use.
    Jackets: 2gc per person.
    Cap/hat: 10s per person.
    Woollen cloak: 9s per person. 14s with hood.
    Bedroll: 10s per person.
    Backpack: 1gc 10s per person

Your recruits did of course bring their own clothes. The average recruit has light boots, breeches and a jerkin (but not matching the others! ), a woollen cloak, a bag/bindle and a waterskin or equivalent. It's up to you what you want to replace with fancy togs and what you want to let them keep. If you want to get them new boots you can trade in their old ones for 6s per recruit. Apart from style (which I'm sure is the first thing on Viggo's mind) the most important thing is to ensure that your troop are prepared for long marches in all weathers.

You can dye your uniforms for a surcharge of 1s per item dyed. However, the following colours are prohibitively expensive and therefore not available:
    Purple
    Bright red
    Dark blue (light blue and blue-grey both fine)

You can pay to have a banner stitched for 10gc, including the pole. The design is for you to decide!

If you're buying items in bulk (>10) you can have a +20 modifier to Haggle checks to reduce the price.

Turning up in town on Festag the 27th, Adelbert was surprised to see the place so full - he was already becoming accustomed to his quiet life in Handrich's Cross with Aisha.

He found Ludo and Viggo at their training-ground, where Ludo handed him a couple of letters - apparently they had come through on a wagon from Mirino, whose driver said they had been given to him by a "horrible old man". Thanking Ludo for holding onto them, Adelbert opened each in turn and read.

Spoiler: Letter No. 1
    Show
    The first letter was from Forkbeard. From its contents, Adelbert guessed it had been sent some time ago - perhaps in reply to the letter he'd sent from Savonne.

Anxious to know more of Sforza's informants in Alvarran. Do all you can to discover their identity.

The Duke moves against Savonne soon - do not recommend you stay in the city. Once army arrives, speed of communication should increase - send directly to the siege lines.

That was all Janos had written.

Spoiler: Letter No. 2
    Show
    The second letter was quite different. The parchment it was written on was curled and crinkled from damp. Unrolling it, he found it was a long and rather rambling message from Lena Knopf. She had taken him up on his request after all.

Apparently she had sent the letter soon after the besiegers surrounded Savonne, by sealing it in a bottle and dropping it in the river. She mentioned enclosing some coins to pay the people of Ravenskird for delivery to Mirino if it found its way into their hands - evidently the smugglers there were not completely dishonest, since Krucke had evidently received it at Adelbert's old address.

Much of what she'd written Adelbert already knew from his talks with Cezar and the Duke, but there were other parts he wasn't aware of. Apparently the siege had not begun immediately on the arrival of the besieging armies: Alvarr, Rorik and Groz had called a parley, to demand that Belehir step down without bloodshed. The elf had refused, stating that he deemed none of them fit to rule - Knopf believed the negotiations may have been purposefully compromised by the inclusion of the Dwimmulson dwarfs, who would accept no compromises or concessions to the dignity of their ancestral enemy. The priests of the temple had tried subsequently to negotiate on behalf of the city, but by that time Alvarr's siege engines were already going up, and the Duke would accept only one outcome - unconditional surrender. The streets were full of the talk of Hartmut's Fall, and how the people there had been treated when they refused to open the gates of their fortress for Alvarr's army.

Knopf herself seemed strangely optimistic that the besiegers would retreat, saying that the first attack had already been repulsed. Belehir might be a distant ruler, but I do believe he has been the best ruler Savonne has had for many years because of it. Her letter ended with a plea: I know you are established in Last Water, and if you could see your way to convincing Captain Sforza to relieve the city, much needless bloodshed might be averted...

She evidently wasn't aware of Adelbert's current standing with the Captain - or where his true loyalties lay. Folding the letter up more neatly than it had arrived, Adelbert stashed it away inside his robes.

He himself had a delivery to make - the main reason he had come to town this week was that he had finished his copy of Elsa's grimoire. He waited until she made a visit to the training ground to hand it over, preferring to stay away from the castle. When Elsa arrived, she could immediately see there was something different about him. The wind of Hysh clung to the scribe like an old friend, making him seem to stand out brighter than the people around him. Perhaps there had been something to all his godly talk after all.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Recently, Adelbert has been increasingly aware of a growing itch in his nether regions. It's now got to the stage where it's accompanied by a burning sensation when he urinates.

Sonstill

Sonstill came sooner than Sieghard would have liked. His regiment had been training hard, but they still seemed green to him - meanwhile, Fischwillen's men had not been slacking either, the sound of their halberd drills now a daily occurrence. There was talk of a third company as well, mustering out in the Vale. Adelbert said he'd seen them once or twice - they were led by a local man named Viktor, who had made no attempt as yet to claim weapons or supplies from the stores at the castle.

The solstice celebrations were to be held on the field between the forest and the town, where the battle had taken place. The centre of it all was the wreck of the Blessing, now a little overgrown. A wooden stage for Sforza's seat was set up right in front of it, with tents and tables stretching all around. Adelbert found the Captain's positioning next to the site of Evatt's death a little grotesque - as if he were a hunter, posing with his kill. Flags had been strung from the stump of the Blessing's mast, with wreaths of flowers thrown over the mermaid figurehead's shoulders.

As the crowds began to gather, Sieghard assembled his troops on the proving ground, giving them one last inspection. Fischwillen's men were formed up on his left, in neat ranks of blue and green uniforms. Some distance over to the right, Viktor's Volunteers had finally appeared - a rag-tag gaggle of thirty to forty men, armed with a variety of weapons. Viktor himself was a tall, rangy man, with a long coat and crumpled hat that looked like it had seen better days. He had a black moustache waxed into sharp tips, and a long sabre at his belt.

"Judgement day, eh, Slayer?" came Fischwillen's hoarse voice at Sieghard's side. Looking round, Sieghard saw the sergeant had sidled up to him while he was distracted with the new arrivals. "Your lot ain't going to fare any better than those farm boys over there when the time comes. Best you can 'ope for is the Captain puts you to scrubbin' boots for my lads." He gave the assembled crossbow troop a scornful look. "What a sorry lot. Maybe I'll keep some of those gels of yours around, though." He spat on the ground - Fischwillen always seemed to have a plentiful supply of saliva. "Bit of fun for the boys."
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-08-16 at 06:00 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Adelbert Schreiber

For Adelbert his time in Hadrich's Cross was one of personal spiritual development, and back breaking hard work. The shrine was made suitable for worship again and Adelbert began delivering weekly sermons and attending to the needs of what he fondly imagined was his flock. Handrich was allowed to keep his place (Adelbert wanted no trouble from the locals) but to compensate he sought out a sculptor to make an effigy of the goddess in wood. In the mean time he made do with lavishly inscribing the words of the Hymn of Wisdom - the first devotional to Verena in his book on the walls of her alcove of the shrine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Caligraphy Test: (1d100)[31] vs. 55

I'm not sure how much a priest can expect to earn but Adelbert will be depending on voluntary alms from the locals. If he absolutely has to he'll do more scriner work to pay the bills but he'd prefer to study matters pastoral.

From the icon Adelbert will be willing to go up to 20GC - he's pious but he can't realistically go much higher at this point.

In his private life he spoke often with Faber and Pistol, happy to listen to their complaints. He freely admitted his feelings about Sforza. He also attended to other matters.

He sought out Viktor, officially in his role as the local priest to try and sound out the man's feelings.

Spoiler
    Show
    The morning he left for Mannan's Keep and not long after discovering his... ailment... he took Aisha aside in their living quaters and asked her to sit down on the pallet they shared.

"You lied to me. I have the lovers pox and since I have not lain with another woman," he almost added 'ever' but managed to bite his tongue on that admission, "you must have had it all along, and I can't believe you never knew. I never want to see your face again. I am leaving now and when I get back I don't want you to be here."

He swept out of the shrine and saddled Bella, desperate to be on the road before Aisha could see the tears streaking down his face.

It was a tired and oddly downcast Adelbert who arrived in Mannan's Keep. He read the letters he'd recieved in silence, then told Ludo he had other business to attend to but would speak with him at the fair. He said the same as he delivered the manuscript to Elsa.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert discretely made enquires of any of Filomena's girls to see if they knew of any cures.

Gossip: (1d100)[80] vs. 41

Finally he rode into town on Sonstill and made his way through the crowds looking for his companions. Almost alone amongst the festival goers he dressed down for the occassion, reluctantly leaving his robes at home and donning his old civilian clothes. He could ill afford to stand out.
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-08-16 at 05:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Adelbert himself had a delivery to make - the main reason he had come to town this week was that he had finished his copy of Elsa's grimoire. He waited until she made a visit to the training ground to hand it over, preferring to stay away from the castle. When Elsa arrived, she could immediately see there was something different about him. The wind of Hysh clung to the scribe like an old friend, making him seem to stand out brighter than the people around him. Perhaps there had been something to all his godly talk after all.
    Elsa leafed through the copy of the grimoire, seemingly satisfied, and paid Adelbert the rest of what she owed him. She then gave him a long, thoughtful look. "Something's changed about you. I first noticed it just after you nearly died, a few weeks ago. Hysh, the White Wind, was hugging you like... like a mother who's almost lost her son and found him alive and won't stop kissing him and weeping with joy. I thought it'd fade eventually, but it's been growing stronger."

She smirked wryly; Aqshy, the Red Wind, was not nearly that affectionate.

Sonstill

The ongoing campaign of pacification was put on hold for the duration of the Sonstill festival. Elsa sorely needed this leisure time; the game of cat-and-mouse against Greenskins in the wilderness was deeply unsatisfying, and she was growing frustrated with her fruitless attempts to find a suitable animal to turn into a familiar (not to mention her increasingly bitter relationship with the animal she did own). In anticipation of the festival, she had taken the time to collect some of the weeds that Filomena's girls had mentioned to her. Just in case.

She went to the festival in her red dress and sandals rather than the usual leather coat and boots, and with her red hair in a loose braid. Her eyes darted here and there, trying to see whether she had an assigned spot for the ceremony. If not, she would gladly stand next to Sieghard while he introduced his new regiment.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2015-08-16 at 09:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, in Handrich's Cross

Spoiler
    Show
    "You lied to me. I have the lovers pox and since I have not lain with another woman," he almost added 'ever' but managed to bite his tongue on that admission, "you must have had it all along, and I can't believe you never knew. I never want to see your face again. I am leaving now and when I get back I don't want you to be here."
    "What?" said Aisha, stunned. "No, I... I didn't, I wouldn't!" Her eyes were reddening. "Filomena said that because she wanted to get rid of me! Why would you believe her? I'm not sick!" She took a gulping breath. "She wanted rid of me, and now - now you want rid of me too..."

Adelbert left her in tears, the sound of her sobbing still circling round in his head on the now-lonely road to Manann's Keep.

Adelbert, in Manann's Keep

Spoiler
    Show
    Filomena's girls weren't hard to find - they were drawn to an event like the festival like flies to overripe fruit. Finding the one who seemed to be in charge - in this case the oldest - Adelbert made his enquiries as discreetly as he could, and tried to bear the smirking. She couldn't tell if she recognised him, or if it was just his priestly vestments that amused her.

"I wouldn't know about that," she said, affecting a lofty air. "All Filomena's girls are clean, sir. Point of pride." She sniffed. "If a girl did get into that sort of trouble... well, madam's got an arrangement with Doctor Bianco. Very good, he is."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The baseline duration of the disease is 14 days. Following the rulebook disease rules, you need to take a Toughness test to modify that length: each degree of success shortens it by one day, while each degree of failure lengthens it by one day.

Once every three days, a Heal check can be attempted (by Adelbert or someone else) to check the disease; success shortens the duration by one day.

As long as Adelbert is affected by the disease, he suffers a -10 penalty to Ag and Fel from the constant itching.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Pre-Sonstill Business

Adelbert nodded vaguely at Elsa and muttered something about speaking with her later. He seemed in a rush to leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was a lonely, sad, humilating ride back to Handrich's Cross. It was obviously unthinkable to visit Bianco and there was no alternate source he could think off. The priest was sorely tempted to abandon going to the festival altogether and inform his flock he was retirng to the Thornwood to commune in private with the goddess for a few days. Eventually he reluctantly overuled it; it would raise more questions than he could answer.

Oh please Verena let Aisha be gone by the time he got back!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

'Twas the Week Before Sonstill

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert got back to the village to find an empty shrine. Aisha had gone, taking with her her clothes, some bedding - and half the gold Adelbert had so far collected in donations.
    Last edited by LCP; 2015-08-16 at 06:59 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Week before Sonstill

Spoiler
    Show
    There was nothing he could do other than burn the rest of the bedding and sleep on the cold floor - he'd have to get new bedding when he returned from Mannan's Keep.

As for Aisha he didn't ask anyone who might have seen where she had gone. They might have answered.
    Last edited by RossN; 2015-08-16 at 07:00 PM.