New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Magic the Gathering: Set 1: Service (3.5e Game Thread)

Ravnica, the City of Guilds

On the corner of Ivy and Oak Street

The Three Horned Tavern

The air is dusty, clean but with a hint of beer and meat. It's noon, the lunch rush having been slow today, ending all to soon. The barkeep, a thin elf woman, cleans the glasses behind the counter. The head of a three horned brushstrider is mounted on the wall above her. In one corner of the bar, a small group of goblins are lazily playing some sort of card game, their greenish flesh covered in the type of clothes you'd expect from the seedier type of bar denizen. Contrasting them on the other side of the bar are two Boros Recruit-women. Both are off duty, as much as that is a thing for the Boros, one playing darts by herself while the other nurses a cool, stiff glass of water. At a nearby table is another of the Boros, a Minotaur dressed in armored robes, as intimidating as he is large. Across from him is some Orzhovian, dressed in the elaborate armor that would be expected of a mid tier member of the Church of Deals. They are talking, though at a low enough tone to not be heard unless eavesdropped upon. Finally, in the back of the tavern is a guildless gambler, playing at games of chance with two Gruul goblin berserkers. Judging from their laughing and the current "in tact" status of the tavern, they seem to be winning quite well.

Then of course, there are you four. Who are you, and what are you doing in this lonely ole tavern?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-08-16 at 03:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Set 1 - Service (3.5e Game Thread)

Galatea is in fact already in the bar. And she's conspicuous as hell. She dwarfs the Minotaur by over two feet. She is completely covered from head to toe. Her exceptionally large hands are covered in gloves, she has boots on, and even her face is covered in a cloth mask. Though, presumably, she at least has a mouth since she's drinking through it.

Anyone who frequents this place is well aware she's trying to get drunk as as hell, since the thing she's drinking, dragon killer, is roughly 9,001% alcohol.

And she is somehow, FAILING to get drunk.

She raises her glass in a toast.

" Here's to the past, they can kiss my glass, I hope she's happy with him."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

At the counter next to Galatea sits a quiet and well-armored man, staring deeply into the half-full mug of ale in his hands. A two-handed sword accompanies a large bundle of spears and some assorted adventuring gear strapped to his back, and he carries a flail at his hip. Atop his head, a tattered tricorn hat sits, sinking down nearly to his eyes and covering all but a few tufts of unkempt brown hair that defiantly poke out from underneath it.

In front of him lies a mostly uneaten steak, sliced to ribbons and run through, with only a few nibbles around the edges to show that it was tasted at all. Sticking up from the remains of what was certainly a fine meal at one point is a sharp, curved knife.

Remiel drinks to Galatea's toast with a mumbled "Aye.", then slams his mug back on the counter. He stabs at the steak some more before turning to the absurdly tall creature beside him.

"Any luck today? How's the spirits treatin' ye?"
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-08-16 at 03:13 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Not at all. I'm drinking the most alcoholic thing I've ever tasted, to the point it should make a minotaur pass out, and it's not affecting me at all." she says with a sigh. "I practically never got drunk before, and now that I want to, I can." she says with another sigh, draining her glass.

" How are your drink and steak treating you?" she politely asks.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2015-08-16 at 03:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tha's a shame. Wish I could help ye, but if the fire-water ain't doin' it for ye, I can't see how." Remiel takes another shallow sip from his ale.

"Well enough. Steak's a bit tough ta git the knife ta stand up straight wit', but she stays up 'n the mug jus' fine." The man chuckles, but the light-hearted mood doesn't sit well with him, and he stops just as quickly as he started. He leans to the side and mumbles to Galatea. "Got a bad feelin', 's put me off my appetite. Maybe I'm jus' jumpy, but I'd keep an eye out all the same. Too quiet in 'ere."
    A few odds and ends.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Set 1: Service (3.5e Game Thread)

"Well, there's always my MAIN problem." She says, before pulling off her right glove, and pulling down her sleeve slightly, showing her forearm is partially grafted with a weird porcelain metal, and partially flayed off, before covering it back up.

"Any chance you want to kill a whoooooooole plane of things that do that to people?" She asks him.

Well, at least now he knows exactly why she's obscured like that. Likely the boros ladies and the bartender as well, though at least the boros know she isn't threatening to murder the Rakdos, or part of them though.

How Remy reacts is another matter.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well." Remiel raises his eyebrows in surprise, then nods. "I spent the past fourteen years o' my life huntin' down all manner o' flesh-eatin' ghoul, necr'mancer, werewolf, Skaab, and whathaveye 'n Avacyn's name. I might be able ta help ye with 'at. Unless ye plan on eatin' people, 'course, 'n which case I'd drive a spear though ye' heart."

He extricates his knife from the steak, then extends the Phyrexian a hand. "Remiel Samuelsson, but ye can call me Remy."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-08-16 at 02:03 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #8

The bartender looks a little concerned by overhearing Galatea's comment, and backs away just a little. The Boros recruit nearby either doesn't consider it a threat, or doesn't notice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Malachite knew enough about magic to realize that if you existed long enough, you'd always find something new that defies all you've ever known. That is especially true when you can walk between worlds. The only constants were death, taxes, and 'you gotta know when to walk away and know when to run'.

This was a 'run'.

Malachite was currently studying at the academy in Fiora. Due to no actual fault of his own (naturally) he'd had to vacate the entire plane for a few days. (His teacher would forgive him eventually, surely. She wasn't THAT much of a hardass...) Of course, now he was bored out of his gourd. Where were all the ladies? It wasn't like he'd scared them off yet, he'd only been in this plane for like an hour and HOLY **** THAT ONE'S TALL!!!

Malachite had stopped eating his soup to stare. That woman towered over the minotaur in the room. He hadn't seen anything that big since that time that shall not be thought about and... they hadn't been interested in drinking alcohol.

....... Then again...

At the moment the robed one and the other human weren't looking, the former's drink floated away from its position and sneakily placed itself on the table next to his soup.

Hey, free alcohol!

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay mage hand!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-08-16 at 02:53 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

At first, it looks like Malachite got away scot free.

Ufortunately for Malachite, Galatea seems to have noticed her drink float away, because she stands right up and walks right over to him.

"You know, stealing my drink is not a way to get on my good side." Galatea says, towering over Malachite, and grabbing her drink back.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    At first, it looks like Malachite got away scot free.

Ufortunately for Malachite, Galatea seems to have noticed her drink float away, because she stands right up and walks right over to him.

"You know, stealing my drink is not a way to get on my good side." Galatea says, towering over Malachite, and grabbing her drink back.
    "Where's that, from above? Because I don't-" His words died in his throat as he craned his neck back. She was even bigger this close up. "... Wow. That's tall. You're tall."

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    "Where's that, from above? Because I don't-" His words died in his throat as he craned his neck back. She was even bigger this close up. "... Wow. That's tall. You're tall."
    " or maybe everyone else is just short." She says, taking her drink back.

"Now, please just leave me in peace. I don't want any trouble." She says, walking back to her seat.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    " or maybe everyone else is just short." She says, taking her drink back.
    ".....

No, you're tall."

"Now, please just leave me in peace. I don't want any trouble." She says, walking back to her seat.
    Malachite tilted his head. "If you want peace and quiet with no trouble then why are you in a bar?"

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The door opens and a man who looks like something between an elf and a satyr enters. Feyr casts a wide glance over the tables, his penetrating gaze betraying experience with dangers far beyond the regular city tavern. With soft steps, he walks up to the bar and throws his elbows up on the desk, and with the sigh of a man who's spent his entire morning arguing against a wall, he addresses no one in particular.

Finally, after months of searching, I find a lost Dimir stronghold, and the very next day I return to find the Izzet crawling all over the site, grinding it all to paste to put up yet another of those useless steam domes or whathaveyounot.

He turns to the bartender.

So much for all those leads. I need a drink, figure out where to go next.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

The bartender reaches behind her for a bottle. "Here. Ceratok's Horn, one of our specialties. Sounds like you need it." she says, pouring out a mug of the greenish booze, smelling quite strong. The Boros recruit next to Feyr whimpers softly, and drinks some of her water.

In the corner, the two Gruul goblins cheer, having won another round of whatever game their playing. There's some grumbling from the other goblins, who continue to play their cards, a pile of gold and various trinkets slowly filling up on the table as they play.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Generally this place does give me relative peace and quiet with no trouble." She says. "But, I suppose if you're going to bother me, I may as well just finish my drink and leave." She says, sitting back down to finish her drink.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"No need to finish your drink on my account." Malachite grumbled to himself and decided to listen in on some other people.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #18

For the most part the tavern is quiet, aside from the shouts from the two Gruul clan goblins playing at various games of chance. You can kind of make out that the Minotaur and the Orzhov guildmember with him are talking about, something about a deal, but you'd need to do a perception check to really hear clearly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Perception
    (1d20+3)[11]

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20

Malachite, you're easily able to eavesdrop on them. They're trying to keep quiet, but a Minotaur, and one part of the Boros, is still as subtle as you'd expect. The man across from him, an Orzhov guildmember in shiny gold armor and robes, is a little more subtle, comparatively.

Malachite:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You overhear the conversation between the Boros Reckoner and the Orzhov Euthanist. The Reckoner is talking about how he's currently hunting for a criminal, a murderer specifically, and apparently the Orzhov Euthanist has some evidence that the Boros had overlooked. The Euthanist is trying to get him into a deal for it. You can tell something is off with the deal just from your experience with dealing with Fioran politics, but you're not sure what exactly is wrong enough to say so with confidence. You imagine the Reckoner's probably going to fall for it though.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

... The planeswalker put his soup down and sighed.

Malachite drew himself up and walked to the minotaur's table. "Oh, hello Expy." Malachite growled, folding his arms and appearing properly furious. "How awful to see you again. You look grotesque as always." He glared at the minotaur. "I'll admit it's been a while since I checked, but I'm pretty sure minotaur don't like being lied to. And Boros like it even less. What's he peddling this time?"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Bluff
    (1d20+8)[14]

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #22

DM ROLLS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boros Reckoner: Bluff Check: (1d20-2)[1]

The Boros Reckoner snorts, hands tightening into fists. "Peddling? What's this about lies, Orzhov?" he growls, looking to Malachite and the Orzhov Euthanist. The Euthanist looks at Malachite with a bewildered 'who the hell is this guy?' styled expression. He laughs, trying to play it off. "Oh, don't pay him any mind, Officer. I can assure you he muust be thinking of someone else. Why, that isn't even my name. He's clearly just drunk." he reasons, his voice silky smooth but with a cutting edge to it. He gives Malachite a glare afterward, and pats where he's keeping a long knife on his belt to make sure his message is clear.

The Reckoner snarls. "I don't care about your name, Orzhov."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-08-16 at 09:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Boros Reckoner snorts, hands tightening into fists. "Peddling? What's this about lies, Orzhov?" he growls, looking to Malachite and the Orzhov Euthanist. The Euthanist looks at Malachite with a bewildered 'who the hell is this guy?' styled expression. He laughs, trying to play it off. "Oh, don't pay him any mind, Officer. I can assure you he muust be thinking of someone else. Why, that isn't even my name. He's clearly just drunk." he reasons, his voice silky smooth but with a cutting edge to it. He gives Malachite a glare afterward, and pats where he's keeping a long knife on his belt to make sure his message is clear.

The Reckoner snarls. "I don't care about your name, Orzhov."
    "Drunk? No no no, the women here are far too dressed for that. Officer Bulls#@$, the man is lieing to you in order to get whatever you would've offered for the information. Probably a quick buck, if I know anything about local law enforcement." Malachite growled, raising an eyebrow as the Euthanist patted himself. "Yeah go ahead, pull that knife right in front of an officer of the law and a robed guy with metal hair, I'm sure that will go over well." As if to punctuate his statement, there was a flicker of energy between Malachite's fingers.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-08-16 at 09:47 PM.

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #24

The Minotaur's eyebrows furrow in thought. It's clear he's mad and believes Malachite. The Orzhov Euthanist stands up and confronts Malachite, at least a foot taller then him. "Now SEE here! I'm trying to conduct a transaction here, and a quite important one. Are you trying to impede justice?" He then leans in close, lips curling in a snarl "and besides, my knife is more then enough for a stain such as yourself."

It's around this time other patrons at the tavern are starting to take notice. The two Boros Elite recruitwomen stop what they're doing, as if they're anticipating something. The goblins playing poker seem to slow their game, taking note but nothing too serious.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The Minotaur's eyebrows furrow in thought. It's clear he's mad and believes Malachite. The Orzhov Euthanist stands up and confronts Malachite, at least a foot taller then him. "Now SEE here! I'm trying to conduct a transaction here, and a quite important one. Are you trying to impede justice?" He then leans in close, lips curling in a snarl "and besides, my knife is more then enough for a stain such as yourself."

It's around this time other patrons at the tavern are starting to take notice. The two Boros Elite recruitwomen stop what they're doing, as if they're anticipating something. The goblins playing poker seem to slow their game, taking note but nothing too serious.
    "Of course not." Malachite smirked. "I intend to get out of the good Boros' way now that he's informed."

"and besides, my knife is more then enough for a stain such as yourself."

"Oh, I certainly agree, Expy." Mal grinned wickedly. "The knife isn't what makes you worthless and inadequate."

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Said 'ere was gonna be trouble."

Remiel licks the kukri clean, then sheathes it. He listens a little more closely when the minotaur mentions the man is Orzhov. As the argument begins to escalate he stands up and slowly walks over to the table. He looks down at the merchant and growls, "Si'ddown, moneybags, 'less ye'd like ta go outside, where yer blood won't stain the lady's nice floor."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Intimidate: (1d20+11)[25]
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #27

The Orzhov Euthanist is about to respond with Malachite's accusations when Remiel gets up. He backs off, clearly intimidated by the walking armory. He turns to the Reckoner "My apologies Officer, but these guildless vagabonds have taken up far too much of both our precious time. I'm afraid I'll be going." he says briskly. Before he can turn to walk out, the Reckoner stands up, slamming his hands onto the table as he does so, though not enough to break it.

"You're not leaving, bargainer. We make this deal now or you go down to the Sunhome with me." the Minotaur threatens. The two off duty recruits seem tense, putting a hand on their sword hilt. The goblins have stopped playing poker and have started talking to themselves in quiet voices. The Orzhov Euthanist stands still, not sure if he should stay, go, or just run out full tilt. The Reckoner turns to Malachite, waving Remiel off with his hand, partly in thanks. "Tell me, human. What makes you think this Orzhov filth is a liar? Besides the obvious."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The Orzhov Euthanist is about to respond with Malachite's accusations when Remiel gets up. He backs off, clearly intimidated by the walking armory. He turns to the Reckoner "My apologies Officer, but these guildless vagabonds have taken up far too much of both our precious time. I'm afraid I'll be going." he says briskly. Before he can turn to walk out, the Reckoner stands up, slamming his hands onto the table as he does so, though not enough to break it.

"You're not leaving, bargainer. We make this deal now or you go down to the Sunhome with me." the Minotaur threatens. The two off duty recruits seem tense, putting a hand on their sword hilt. The goblins have stopped playing poker and have started talking to themselves in quiet voices. The Orzhov Euthanist stands still, not sure if he should stay, go, or just run out full tilt. The Reckoner turns to Malachite, waving Remiel off with his hand, partly in thanks. "Tell me, human. What makes you think this Orzhov filth is a liar? Besides the obvious."
    "Do I NEED a reason that isn't obvious?" Malachite jabbed his thumb at the Euthanist. "Fine. I know he's lieing because I work with politicians on a regular basis. Whatever ol' Expy wanted you to give him was worth a massive amount more than whatever he was willing to give you in exchange. He was practically drooling."

Kinda true; Malachite worked with the academy in Fiora. They were basically politicians, right? Close enough anyway.

And Malachite knew what Orzhov primarily dealt in. Whatever information he was about to provide wasn't worth one of those. That was definitely true.

"Also he's trying to leave."

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #29

"He doesn't get to leave. Not without me anyway. He has information about a crime that I want." the Minotaur growls. He glares at the Euthanist, eyes flaring up. "Now...give me what I want, and you can have the murder weapon, you freak. And nothing else. It's at the Sunhome, so do try to go without a fight."

At the words "fight" something bad happens. The two Gruul clan goblins playing at gambling games stop, and one turns to the commotion happening in the corner. His mouth opens in a toothy grin, teeth like fangs. "Fight? FIIIIGHT!" he then draws his greataxe, the size of one a human would use, and smashes the Tavern Swindler's table in half. Said swindler vanishes in a poof of black smoke, evoking some sort of magic that Feyr recognizes.

The four goblins formerly playing poker leap from their chairs, drawing a mix of crossbows and shortswords. "Is' a fight lads! Whoever's left standin' wins teh pot!"

The two recruit women draw their swords and shields, standing together in a defensive position near the Reckoner, who in turn draws his sword. "Stop the Orzhov! I care not for the rest!" he bellows.

The Orzhov Euthanist draws his long knife, almost like a scimitar in how long and curved it is. He holds it up, pointing at Malachite "You're lucky I'd rather not die today, or I'd slit your throat! Until then..."

The barkeeper ducks behind the counter, cowering underneath it.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Orzhov Euthanist: (1d20+6)[9]

Boros Reckoner: (1d20)[11]

Boros Elite 1: (1d20+4)[17]
    Boros Elite 2: (1d20+4)[17]

Goblin Berserker 1: (1d20+6)[22]
    Goblin Berserker 2: (1d20+6)[16]

Goblin Rogue 1: (1d20+2)[11]
    Goblin Rogue 2: (1d20+2)[7]
    Goblin Rogue 3: (1d20+2)[8]
    Goblin Rogue 4: (1d20+2)[22]

MAP: http://i.imgur.com/YuVUHaf.jpg

Now'd be a good time to roll initiative!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-08-16 at 11:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Initiative: (1d20+1)[19]

Spoiler: Granted Maneuvers gooooooo
    Show

(1d5)[3]
    (1d4)[3]

1. Crusader's Strike
    2. Foehammer
    3. Stone Vise GRANTED
    4. Revitalizing Strike GRANTED
    5. White Raven Tactics
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-08-16 at 11:23 PM.
    A few odds and ends.