New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Honesty Hearts IC: The Thunder And The Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    <No, there isn't.> agreed Sirocco. <However, it would be unnnecessary>

<I admit that under my plan, we will need to find a new brain surgeon, but I feel we would have a higher chance of success at that than convincing Positive to build an extraction device herself. It would also be safer in the near term.>
    <I'd just like to suggest that in the event where we kill the one pegasus brain surgeon we know about the replacement brain surgeon is likely to be some kind of filthy grounder - if we could find one at all.> said Snowy Hooves sniffily.

Outside the tank, Siroccos body still waited for Positive's reply to his earlier question.

"You might trust us now. But after what you have done, how can I ever trust you?" he continued, as he sat down on the floor of the cell.
    Positive Reinforcement looked sad. "Commander, you of all ponies should be able to recognise an idealist. If I wanted wealth, power, control or whatever I'd still be an Enclave scientist. Make up your own mind."

She stood up and shuffled away to start working on a console.

<By that logic, a fast strike would be the best option for success. Would twenty troops be sufficient?>
    <Commander, if you are asking for my opinion, this is a hostage situation where we are the hostages and the hostage taker has a barrel of explosives between herself and the door and amplified perceptions. This isn't a job for twenty troops, it's a job for the Wonderbolts.> said Blue Angel. <Or maybe Starstruck.>
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-09-26 at 07:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    She's going to try every trick in her book to keep you talking. She is trying to determine just what your intentions are with regards to Juris Doctor and how much you know about him. She is being all niceness and light right now because she is actually a little taken with your charisma and your words but she's long since sized you up and she fancies her chances against you and your entourage should she feel forced to resort to violence. Now, trying the softly-softly approach to interrogation is not something she is very experienced with nor is it something she's very good at, and it's unlikely to be skilled, co-ordinated or well executed.

First up will be to try to relax you enough to have an open and frank conversation about why Juris Doctor is suddenly such a fan of yours and, most importantly, why she found him with three eyes preaching at the market and if you had put him up to it. Failing that, she might try any number of ill-planned and unprepared approaches; flattery, joining your cult, threats to you and/or ponies she thinks you may care about, manipulation, seduction, sex, but should she get frustrated she will ultimately turn to violence (and that part is carefully planned, it will be blades and whip until all your support is dead or fleeing and then its an empty room somewhere away from the camp with you hanging in chains from the ceiling. You get the distinct feeling she's even picked the place already).
    Interesting.

"Oh, he's your father. I hadn't made the connection." Starstruck said, making a mental note, and placed a drink in front of each of them.

She looked up at Rattle Tail a little genuinely confused by her words, "Singing to and singing for? There's a difference?" This was clearly not something Starstruck had much understanding of.
    "My father sings the songs ponies want to hear, because they are songs they are fond of, songs that make them happy, songs they crave. I sing the songs ponies need to hear, songs that give them direction and purpose," Rattle Tail explained over her drink.

"So, do you know Juris Doctor well? Old friends?" Starstruck asked, making herself take a sip of a drink she didn't really want.
    "I knew him," she said and sipped her drink. The implication was that they had never been particularly warm. She tapped the table for a bit as she seemed to think. "Honestly I did not expect him to have this change of heart, and I don't know if it will last. I accept all who come to me for salvation, should they truly accept the light, but I do not employ coercion. I show them the way in song and deeds, but only they can decide if it is for them. I will wait and observe if his unusual experience has given him a genuine, lasting insight, because everything that happens, however unexpected or unintended, has a purpose in this world."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Positive Reinforcement looked sad. "Commander, you of all ponies should be able to recognise an idealist. If I wanted wealth, power, control or whatever I'd still be an Enclave scientist. Make up your own mind."

That was important enough to draw a bit of attention. Slick's skinvelope ambled over, before flopping to the ground beside the scientist. "I'm sorry that you've been treated badly," she started, her voice rich with sincerity, "and that you feel you can't trust us because of it. You're an idealist, right? And sometimes it's hard to live by those. If you don't mind me asking, what are your ideals? What do they push you to do?"

<Commander, if you are asking for my opinion, this is a hostage situation where we are the hostages and the hostage taker has a barrel of explosives between herself and the door and amplified perceptions. This isn't a job for twenty troops, it's a job for the Wonderbolts.> said Blue Angel. <Or maybe Starstruck.>
    <My thoughts exactly,> Slick answered with a fair amount of grim satisfaction. <Which is why I need to get to Quicksilver. Where he is, Starstruck probably is too. Or at least, instructions how to get to her. Snowy Hooves, do you mind?>
    Last edited by Balmas; 2015-09-27 at 02:08 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quicksilver, in the middle of your discussion about the real estate market, ten wolves, a dozen ponies, Rattle Tail and Starstruck flood into your establishment with an intention to get rowdy. Your security guy may be having a heart attack. What do you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Speak of the sun ... Rattle Tail along with a whole bunch of ponies, wolves, and one wizard snake had just entered your establishment intent on having a good time. Said cult leader had just settled down at a table with Starstruck.
    Quicksilver had nearly run into the mystic's entourage as they entered. He managed to backpedal, and thanked his lucky stars that he'd tucked the eyeball jar away - no sense tipping your hoof so soon in negotiations.

He was not entirely happy about the wolves though; they spooked the patrons, and he spent the first few minutes after Rattle Tail arrived putting out proverbial fires with the guests and staff. This mostly amounted to offering the wolves a special "reserved" table very far from the bulk of his customers, and the quiet reassurance to Ace that they still had enough questionably-legal chemicals in back to drug their new visitors to the gills, assuming it became necessary. And that they had gills. Silver was not completely clear on carnivore biology.

Finally, when the chaos had begun to settle, and the background music had been cranked higher to cover the sounds of wolfish table manners, Silver took a seat at the bar.

"Rattle Tail! Starstruck! Just the ponies I wanted to see! I've come across a bit of an unusual business transaction, and I think you might be interested in it."
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

<I'd just like to suggest that in the event where we kill the one pegasus brain surgeon we know about the replacement brain surgeon is likely to be some kind of filthy grounder - if we could find one at all.> said Snowy Hooves sniffily.
    <I would still prefer a grounder I can kill over a Pegasus that I cant> shot back Sirocco.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    That was important enough to draw a bit of attention. Slick's skinvelope ambled over, before flopping to the ground beside the scientist. "I'm sorry that you've been treated badly," she started, her voice rich with sincerity, "and that you feel you can't trust us because of it. You're an idealist, right? And sometimes it's hard to live by those. If you don't mind me asking, what are your ideals? What do they push you to do?"
    "Indeed." Said Sirocco, instead, as he stood back up and watched Positive closely. "Idealisism doesn't automatically mean trustworthy. Not unless our ideals are aligned."

"At least if you wanted wealth or power, it would make you predictable, which is sometimes an acceptable substitute."

<My thoughts exactly,> Slick answered with a fair amount of grim satisfaction. <Which is why I need to get to Quicksilver. Where he is, Starstruck probably is too. Or at least, instructions how to get to her. Snowy Hooves, do you mind?>
    <Frustrating.> observed Sirroco.

His own instincts believed that it should be possible. He may not have the wonderbolts, but Sigma squad was a good substitute. Particularly as they had already been warned of the bomb and since he didn't so much care for the survival of the hostages.

Still, the risks of a failed assault were high, and he could sense which way the wind was blowing.

Sighing, he got to his hooves and started for the upper door.

6. - Top - End - #216

"Well, um, Friendship, obviously," mumbled Positive, clearly believing that it sounded silly. "The Elements of Harmony and doing good and all that stuff. I just need to find some friends I can trust. Then everything will work out."

"Indeed." Said Sirocco, instead, as he stood back up and watched Positive closely. "Idealisism doesn't automatically mean trustworthy. Not unless our ideals are aligned."

"At least if you wanted wealth or power, it would make you predictable, which is sometimes an acceptable substitute."
    "Urgh, yuck, ick," said Positive, sticking out her tongue.

<I would still prefer a grounder I can kill over a Pegasus that I cant> shot back Sirocco.
    <A fair point,> Snowy replied. <I might not be thinking entirely clearly on this topic.>

Your guys are waiting outside. Lt. Haze salutes upon seeing Sirocco. "I've dispatched Radar Glitch and Swamp Gas to look for alternate entry points," she said. "Are we going in sir?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

"My father sings the songs ponies want to hear, because they are songs they are fond of, songs that make them happy, songs they crave. I sing the songs ponies need to hear, songs that give them direction and purpose," Rattle Tail explained over her drink.
    "I see," Starstruck said, feeling a little unsure if she really did.

"I knew him," she said and sipped her drink. The implication was that they had never been particularly warm. She tapped the table for a bit as she seemed to think. "Honestly I did not expect him to have this change of heart, and I don't know if it will last. I accept all who come to me for salvation, should they truly accept the light, but I do not employ coercion. I show them the way in song and deeds, but only they can decide if it is for them. I will wait and observe if his unusual experience has given him a genuine, lasting insight, because everything that happens, however unexpected or unintended, has a purpose in this world."
    Now we were getting somewhere. There was a slight glint in Starstruck's eye and she slowly leaned in a little closer. She hadnt expected such an open answer to her question but was not about to lose the momentum for anything. She opened her mouth to continue on, there were several point there she wanted to know more about, when-

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "Rattle Tail! Starstruck! Just the ponies I wanted to see! I've come across a bit of an unusual business transaction, and I think you might be interested in it."
    Starstruck reluctantly looked over her shoulder and saw Silver.

"Sir," Starstruck straightened up a bit while holding back a sigh, she shuffled aside to give him room to join them.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

"Sir," Starstruck straightened up a bit while holding back a sigh, she shuffled aside to give him room to join them.
    Quicksilver plopped down at the bar with them, hooking another drink his way from the wells behind the bar. He was still riding the high of Cloud 9's early success, and didn't seem to notice Starstruck's chilly welcome.

"What I've been wondering is whether or not any ponies you know might have a purpose for something like this?" Silver produced the cupful of eyeballs with a flourish and looked intently at Rattle Tail.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Now we were getting somewhere. There was a slight glint in Starstruck's eye and she slowly leaned in a little closer. She hadnt expected such an open answer to her question but was not about to lose the momentum for anything. She opened her mouth to continue on, there were several point there she wanted to know more about, when-

Rattle Tail smiled and gave Starstruck a look that said they could continue in a moment.

Quicksilver plopped down at the bar with them, hooking another drink his way from the wells behind the bar. He was still riding the high of Cloud 9's early success, and didn't seem to notice Starstruck's chilly welcome.

"What I've been wondering is whether or not any ponies you know might have a purpose for something like this?" Silver produced the cupful of eyeballs with a flourish and looked intently at Rattle Tail.
    Ooooh, said Rattle Tail's eyes as her brain lit up with ideas, and she almost grabbed the cup right out of Quicksilver's hoof. "I might, yes, of course ... know somepony, that is," she said, composing herself ... a little. "May I examine the wares?" She held out a hoof to take the cup and looked at Quicksilver for permission.

10. - Top - End - #220

Slick kicked a leg out at the table, and caught the tin of Mentats as it fell into her wings. She popped it open, and proffered one to the scientist. "I understand how that feels," she said morosely, and contemplated the tin. "To feel as if the people around you aren't trustworthy. As if they're all liars, they're all cheats, they're using you because of what you can do, and that they'll just abandon you, betray you when you're not useful anymore. It hurts, it stings, makes you want to scream that I am more than just what I can do!"

Slick blinked, and began to pick spilled Mentats off of the ground, before lying down next to Positive Reinforcement. "Sorry about that. Thing is, I think I understand. But I also know that you're going about it the wrong way. Like this? With one party lobotomized, and the other holding their body hostage? That's not a way to make someone like you, want to be your friend. I've done it my whole life. Trust me when I say it doesn't work."

Slick stared down at the half-empty tin of mentats. Someone had been busy with this one. "Somepony hurt you. Somepony you trusted, maybe even loved. And it cost you your cutie mark, but worse, your ability to trust. Do you want to talk about it?"

[I'd argue that's sufficient intimacy and time to do a Deep Brain Scan.]
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

11. - Top - End - #221

Absolutely it does, make the roll.

12. - Top - End - #222

(2d6+2)[10] tenchars

In what ways are Positive's mind and soul vulnerable?

Holding 2.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2015-09-29 at 11:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

Slick kicked a leg out at the table, and caught the tin of Mentats as it fell into her wings. She popped it open, and proffered one to the scientist. "I understand how that feels," she said morosely, and contemplated the tin. "To feel as if the people around you aren't trustworthy. As if they're all liars, they're all cheats, they're using you because of what you can do, and that they'll just abandon you, betray you when you're not useful anymore. It hurts, it stings, makes you want to scream that I am more than just what I can do!"

Slick blinked, and began to pick spilled Mentats off of the ground, before lying down next to Positive Reinforcement. "Sorry about that. Thing is, I think I understand. But I also know that you're going about it the wrong way. Like this? With one party lobotomized, and the other holding their body hostage? That's not a way to make someone like you, want to be your friend. I've done it my whole life. Trust me when I say it doesn't work."

Slick stared down at the half-empty tin of mentats. Someone had been busy with this one. "Somepony hurt you. Somepony you trusted, maybe even loved. And it cost you your cutie mark, but worse, your ability to trust. Do you want to talk about it?"

In what ways are Positive's mind and soul vulnerable?

Holding 2.
    You're on entirely the right track: Positive is afraid of betrayal. You can see through to the fear, relentlessly scanning, searching, analysing. Her mind is relentlessly looking for patterns and threats, real or imagined, because of that deep vulnerability. The mental scars are as real as the physical ones and any play on that will demand a reaction. That fear flows on to some other vulnerabilities - the fixation on mentats is one. You seriously doubt she could function if she was cut off from her supply; she has absolutely no shortage of them in this facility but can't genuinely leave this place for that reason.

Positive's eyes seemed to water, but she perked herself up and put on a fake smile. "There is -" she croaked, paused, tried again, "there isn't any point talking about it," she said. "Can't dwell on the past." She reflexively offered Slick a packet of jelly beans, not even thinking when she did it. "What I'm more interested in is solutions. Ponies are naturally bad at friendship, and extraterrestrial influence componds the issue, so I theorise that by use of brain extraction I can provide training wheels to encourage more empathic behaviour in a controlled environment."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Ooooh, said Rattle Tail's eyes as her brain lit up with ideas, and she almost grabbed the cup right out of Quicksilver's hoof. "I might, yes, of course ... know somepony, that is," she said, composing herself ... a little. "May I examine the wares?" She held out a hoof to take the cup and looked at Quicksilver for permission.
    "Sure, take all the time you need!" Silver sipped his drink and smiled another of those winning smiles. "So, your friend makes two ponies now that have some sort of interest in eyeballs, and that means we have the potential for negotiation. Tell me, just off the cuff, what do you think they would propose as a fair trade for these?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Starstruck leaned over enough to see what was inside the cup and promptly raised an eyebrow. It wasn't that it unsettled her, she was just intrigued that such a thing could be considered currency. She watched Rattle Tail's reaction with further curiosity and the conversation had gone sufficiently interesting for her slight annoyance at being interrupted to melt away and be forgotten. She gave Silver a slightly incredulous smile and shake of the head.

"Seriously, this is the new currency? Is it just any eyeballs or are they special somehow? Just curious, it might pay to know," she noted, half to herself.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, take all the time you need!" Silver sipped his drink and smiled another of those winning smiles. "So, your friend makes two ponies now that have some sort of interest in eyeballs, and that means we have the potential for negotiation. Tell me, just off the cuff, what do you think they would propose as a fair trade for these?"
    "Two ponies? Who's the other?" Rattle Tail asked as she took the cup and scooped one soft, blubbery eyeball into her hoof and turned it this way and that to examine it. She gave it a little sniff, then let Silver Tongue have a lick at it. Once the snake had had its look, she held the eye back up and squinted through its pupil. "Hmm ... I see ..." she muttered, then did the same with each of the eyes in the cup in turn.

Open my Brain: 3+1+3= 7

What does Rattle Tail see in the eyes? Are these just any eyeballs, or what are they?

17. - Top - End - #227

You're on entirely the right track: Positive is afraid of betrayal. You can see through to the fear, relentlessly scanning, searching, analysing. Her mind is relentlessly looking for patterns and threats, real or imagined, because of that deep vulnerability. The mental scars are as real as the physical ones and any play on that will demand a reaction. That fear flows on to some other vulnerabilities - the fixation on mentats is one. You seriously doubt she could function if she was cut off from her supply; she has absolutely no shortage of them in this facility but can't genuinely leave this place for that reason.

Positive's eyes seemed to water, but she perked herself up and put on a fake smile. "There is -" she croaked, paused, tried again, "there isn't any point talking about it," she said. "Can't dwell on the past." She reflexively offered Slick a packet of jelly beans, not even thinking when she did it. "What I'm more interested in is solutions. Ponies are naturally bad at friendship, and extraterrestrial influence componds the issue, so I theorise that by use of brain extraction I can provide training wheels to encourage more empathic behaviour in a controlled environment."
    Slick swam through the feelings, awash and, if she was telling the truth, a little overwhelmed. This was always disorienting.

"And what happens once all the ponies are brain-extracted, Positive Reinforcement? Do the training wheels come off, so we can live by the ideals of friendship without being coerced into it? It's a noble goal you have, but how do you see it ending?"

Let's find out about what she feels guilty. For what does she crave forgiveness, and of whom?

18. - Top - End - #228

"Two ponies? Who's the other?" Rattle Tail asked as she took the cup and scooped one soft, blubbery eyeball into her hoof and turned it this way and that to examine it. She gave it a little sniff, then let Silver Tongue have a lick at it. Once the snake had had its look, she held the eye back up and squinted through its pupil. "Hmm ... I see ..." she muttered, then did the same with each of the eyes in the cup in turn.

Open my Brain: 3+1+3= 7

What does Rattle Tail see in the eyes? Are these just any eyeballs, or what are they?
    Oh these aren't just empty eyeballs. See, when a living creature dies, the last image that its eyes saw is captured inside the eye forever.

There's something alive in every single one of those eyes. Something dark and threatening and shadowy, wearing the storm as a cape, eyes blazing in the reflections. Its teeth are bloody and its victory is complete and it wears a crown made out of bones and destiny. These eyes are full and full of purpose.

Tell me about your eyes. Do you trust them? Which one do you trust more? Or do you trust someone else's?

Slick swam through the feelings, awash and, if she was telling the truth, a little overwhelmed. This was always disorienting.

"And what happens once all the ponies are brain-extracted, Positive Reinforcement? Do the training wheels come off, so we can live by the ideals of friendship without being coerced into it? It's a noble goal you have, but how do you see it ending?"

Let's find out about what she feels guilty. For what does she crave forgiveness, and of whom?
    "Like I said!" said Positive. "It's not up to me to decide that. Once everypony is friended up they'll be way smarter and more clued in than me, and I can just do whatever they say and know it's the right thing."

Oh yes, she craves forgiveness. From you, Sirocco, the Enclave, everyone. She knows that she's hated and is going to be hated for what she's doing, but the only thing she knows is to keep doubling down on the decisions she's already made on the hope that one day it all works out and she's proven right. She feels guilt but she has no idea how she could possibly go backwards from where she is.

You also see Starstruck there. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong to Starstruck, but she might have, and she obviously thinks very highly of Starstruck so the thought that she might have somehow upset her is a deep, low, painful point of paranoia.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-10-01 at 12:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

"Seriously, this is the new currency? Is it just any eyeballs or are they special somehow? Just curious, it might pay to know," she noted, half to herself.
    Silver just smiled right back and shrugged. "Nothing is the new currency. Which means everything is. If ponies are willing to trade it, then that's all I need. The trick is to know enough ponies and enough about all of them to have some idea of what they want."

"Why, the pony who traded them to me in the first place, of course! They saw enough value in these eyeballs to offer them in exchange for goods and services, and if a thing's common enough to happen once, it's bound to happen again. I just had to think a little about who might have similar, ah, values. I could probably find some more if it came down to it, but since my cousin is fond of you, I thought I might ask you first."
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2015-10-01 at 02:32 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Oh these aren't just empty eyeballs. See, when a living creature dies, the last image that its eyes saw is captured inside the eye forever.

There's something alive in every single one of those eyes. Something dark and threatening and shadowy, wearing the storm as a cape, eyes blazing in the reflections. Its teeth are bloody and its victory is complete and it wears a crown made out of bones and destiny. These eyes are full and full of purpose.

Tell me about your eyes. Do you trust them? Which one do you trust more? Or do you trust someone else's?
    Trust her eyes? No. No more than any other senses, or anyone elses eyes. But if she has to follow one of her eyes, she does think a little higher of the left one. They work together well, but left on their own the right one likes to get fuzzy on the truth. Trust her vision, though? Absolutely. Her vision is infallible, divine, and she'll look down at anypony who thinks otherwise.

Her eyes are a pretty light blue like forget-me-nots, often a little tired or aged but clear like the kinds of crystal blue, mirror blank lakes that might have existed before the war made such a mess of everything. The sort of lake you could lose yourself in, just marveling at your own reflection in the water. Her eyes are pretty, though her smile - when it happens, which it does frequently, of course - is probably the prettiest thing about her.

"Why, the pony who traded them to me in the first place, of course! They saw enough value in these eyeballs to offer them in exchange for goods and services, and if a thing's common enough to happen once, it's bound to happen again. I just had to think a little about who might have similar, ah, values. I could probably find some more if it came down to it, but since my cousin is fond of you, I thought I might ask you first."
    "I see, yes," Rattle Tail said as she put the eyes back in the cup, but held on to the cup for now as she leaned back in her seat. "One or two of these eyes may not be worth much, but if you get enough of them, well, then I could ... make use of them, yes." She tapped a hoof on the table next to the cup as she thought. "These are eyes, good for seeing, good for finding your way. Your way to something, or someone, perhaps. I could offer you traditional payment, boring but practical. Or perhaps there is somepony ... well, some person perhaps ... you would love to see but can't find, or can't get to.

"I have my ways," she said with an enigmatic smile. "Tell me a name, and I could bring them to you. Might that hold your interest?"

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Your guys are waiting outside. Lt. Haze salutes upon seeing Sirocco. "I've dispatched Radar Glitch and Swamp Gas to look for alternate entry points," she said. "Are we going in sir?"
    "Blueberry muffins, and no." Replied Sirocco "putting aside that we'd need more than two squads to assault this place, there have been some new developments. I would not have this facility damaged; It will be important to our long term goals."

"Rally the squads, and return to camp. I will want to speak to you and Sarge separately and privately once we are there."

He inwardly considerd which of his senior staff could be brought in on the events of today safely, some might react in unproductive ways to the news that their commanding officer was now a brain in a jar.

With the orders given he turned and headed back to the science lab.

22. - Top - End - #232

"Blueberry muffins,
    Weather Balloon jumped down from behind him, quiet as a dagger in the night, lowering her laser rifle.

and no." Replied Sirocco "putting aside that we'd need more than two squads to assault this place, there have been some new developments. I would not have this facility damaged; It will be important to our long term goals."

"Rally the squads, and return to camp. I will want to speak to you and Sarge separately and privately once we are there."

He inwardly considerd which of his senior staff could be brought in on the events of today safely, some might react in unproductive ways to the news that their commanding officer was now a brain in a jar.

With the orders given he turned and headed back to the science lab.
    "Yes sir," said Haze, whistled up the troops, and took the formation back to camp.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-10-01 at 07:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes sir," said Haze, whistled up the troops, and took the formation back to camp.
    Sirocco smiled as Weather Balloon appeared.

"Oh, and Lieutenant?" He said, before Haze left. "Release Apple Cart, but have somepony from Sigma follow him. I want to know where Twoflower and his gang are holed up."

24. - Top - End - #234

Sirocco smiled as Weather Balloon appeared.

"Oh, and Lieutenant?" He said, before Haze left. "Release Apple Cart, but have somepony from Sigma follow him. I want to know where Twoflower and his gang are holed up."
    "Yes sir," said Haze, and the troops walked off - they didn't fly, it was still pouring down buckets and it'd be dangerous, but none of Team Sigma had shifted from their posts despite the cold and miserable conditions.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes sir," said Haze, and the troops walked off - they didn't fly, it was still pouring down buckets and it'd be dangerous, but none of Team Sigma had shifted from their posts despite the cold and miserable conditions.
    Sirocco frowned at the rain, had it grown stronger since he'd gone inside? Sigma were well acquainted with bad weather, so their ability to hold up under it was expected.

Alpha, on the other hoof, how had they fared?

26. - Top - End - #236

Sirocco frowned at the rain, had it grown stronger since he'd gone inside? Sigma were well acquainted with bad weather, so their ability to hold up under it was expected.

Alpha, on the other hoof, how had they fared?
    Not great. They were doing their level best to keep up discipline given that you were already mad at them, so they hadn't slacked off here, but you could tell their morale was in the toilet and as soon as they were off duty they were going to bitch up a storm in the mess. Given the poor availability of tents in the area, camp wasn't going to be much better for them either.

Even apart from the obvious morale issues this lack of shelter was going to cause, you had hundreds of ponies in cold, damp conditions without any sort of tradition of waste management or ground-based hygiene. Your camp is wet, miserable, filthy and on the verge of breaking out with incapacitating new diseases. If you're lucky (and you are, you made the start of session Hard roll) you'll have a few days to get ahead of this but after that you're in for bad times.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-10-01 at 09:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

"I see, yes," Rattle Tail said as she put the eyes back in the cup, but held on to the cup for now as she leaned back in her seat. "One or two of these eyes may not be worth much, but if you get enough of them, well, then I could ... make use of them, yes." She tapped a hoof on the table next to the cup as she thought. "These are eyes, good for seeing, good for finding your way. Your way to something, or someone, perhaps. I could offer you traditional payment, boring but practical. Or perhaps there is somepony ... well, some person perhaps ... you would love to see but can't find, or can't get to.

"I have my ways," she said with an enigmatic smile. "Tell me a name, and I could bring them to you. Might that hold your interest?"
    "I think we might be able to work out a trade on something like that. Of course, I don't have a name right off the top of my head, but if you'd be willing to owe me a favor like that I'd say we're square. Now then, how many eyes are there in a name?"

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Starstruck was further intrigued to hear this and she wondered to herself just what those ways were. She was half tempted to follow this Prophet and keep her under surveillance to get to her secrets but it would be a pretty major investment of her time with no guarantee of what they'd gain from it, it would only be to satisfy her curiosity and she knew Haze wouldn't authorise such a venture. For now she just made yet another mental note and tried her level best to sip her drink in what she hoped was a very casual and disinterested way.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

29. - Top - End - #239

"Like I said!" said Positive. "It's not up to me to decide that. Once everypony is friended up they'll be way smarter and more clued in than me, and I can just do whatever they say and know it's the right thing."

Oh yes, she craves forgiveness. From you, Sirocco, the Enclave, everyone. She knows that she's hated and is going to be hated for what she's doing, but the only thing she knows is to keep doubling down on the decisions she's already made on the hope that one day it all works out and she's proven right. She feels guilt but she has no idea how she could possibly go backwards from where she is.

You also see Starstruck there. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong to Starstruck, but she might have, and she obviously thinks very highly of Starstruck so the thought that she might have somehow upset her is a deep, low, painful point of paranoia.
    Well, that was just one more reason to bring in Starstruck. But maybe not just yet. Starstruck was the ace in the hole, and it wouldn't do to show that too quickly.

"Well, speaking as a disembodied brain who's currently speaking with everypony else in the tank, I feel like you should know that most of the ponies you've... assisted, shall we say? Are none too happy with the change. I can manage for myself, but I have to be a representative of the rest of the brains. They want out. And it'd be a lot easier on my own conscience to have a way to undo what we do, so that when we've learned about friendship we can go on and try it for ourselves."

And the one last thing she'd gleamed from Positive's mind... It was hard to avoid this. She was almost scared to trespass in this last sanctuary, but she had to know. WHat was her loest moment?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

"I think we might be able to work out a trade on something like that. Of course, I don't have a name right off the top of my head, but if you'd be willing to owe me a favor like that I'd say we're square. Now then, how many eyes are there in a name?"
    "Well now, that might depend on the eyes and the name," Rattle Tail said, scratching her cheek thoughtfully. "Tell you what, how many eyes do you have, and can you point me to who sold them to you?"

Starstruck was further intrigued to hear this and she wondered to herself just what those ways were. She was half tempted to follow this Prophet and keep her under surveillance to get to her secrets but it would be a pretty major investment of her time with no guarantee of what they'd gain from it, it would only be to satisfy her curiosity and she knew Haze wouldn't authorise such a venture. For now she just made yet another mental note and tried her level best to sip her drink in what she hoped was a very casual and disinterested way.
    Rattle Tail was still watching Starstruck out of the corner of an eye, paying subtle attention.

Spending another hold (1 remaining): how could Rattle Tail get Starstruck to follow her, and not just to watch, but as a believer? Not that Rattle Tail minded being watched, of course.