New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bhaakon's Giantslayer II: On a Boat!

You head off to complete any minor tasks remaining before the evening meal. Sylvia delivers up the goat to its fate. Biggums procures a small measure animal fat to grease the gears, but only after threatening to summon up the Captain to command the cook directly. Apparently lard is a precious resource in the barge's galley.

Though what the cook was using it for is a mystery, as your super features nothing fried, sauteed, baked, or even browned. Instead you get another smokes trout, same as with breakfast, and a boiled mash of some purplish, slightly gummy tuber. At least the pickled vegetables are tasty--probably because they were bought by the barrel from a craftsman in Trunau instead of made on board.

Spoiler: Anyone, DC 18 perception. Sylvia, DC 10 Intellligence
    Show
    Despite remembering your favorite stall-mucking wizardess hand-delivering a goat to the ship's cook for slaughter, you're surprised and disappointed to note a complete lack of fresh meat being served.

As you settle down to eat in the cramped space of the galley/dining room, one of the crew members drops an oar-calloused hand on Jeis's shoulder and squeezes painfully. "Get you gone, shrimp. Raag says I gotta risk my hide hauling pinkskins through hordelands, but he didn' say nuthin' bout givin' up my seat to one."

A few of nearby half-orcs turn to watch the potential altercation with interest, and a couple others pointedly ignore it, but none make a move to stop the instigator. Neither the captain nor coxwain is present at the moment, having taking their meal in the chart-room.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeis

Wiping his forehead, Jeis suppresses his Aetheric display and nods to the half-orc saying, "You're pretty lucky. Just a week or two ago, I wasn't strong enough in my talent to lift someone bigger than a babe." To the Captain Jeis just nods, hoping that he wouldn't really be needed for too many such rescues... and that biggums wouldn't jump in again if there were such rescues to be made.

When Asdoukar... complements(?) Jeis, he merely rubs the back of his head and says, "Better than that one time we were pulling you and that cursed fake hammer up from that pond."

__________________________________________________ ________
    Later at Dinner

Used to such teasing from his childhood in Trunau being a scrawny weakling, Jeis knows he should probably stand up for himself. However, Jeis doubted he would have to put up with the crew long, and really disliked the thought of getting blood everywhere. I would also probably be the one to patch him up afterward and that would just be awkward. So Jeis just grabs his fork, lifts his food tray with his telekinesis and finds somewhere else to eat.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2015-09-13 at 09:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar

Still in armor, Asdoukar eats the food -both servings if he can have it- when he sees the half-orc talking to Jeiss.

This was going to be a problem. Should he settle it now?

But Jeiss walks out. Asdoukar almost smirks knowing that the half orc could have been a paste on the wall if Jeiss wanted it.He keeps staring for a second, wanting to see if anyone had anything to say to him, armored and holding a hammer, before sitting again down.
    Spoiler
    Show

I debated with myself hard on how Asdoukar would handle this. I ended up thinking that he would let it pass when not directed at him.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Eric stays seated where he was, next to Jeiss. "Hey, Jeiss, sit back down. These gentlemen must be mistaken, because they obviously didn't realize you were the one that saved their crewmates just a bit ago. And they also obviously don't know that we all charged through a siege to attack a gang of catapult-wielding giants. So I think there must be some confusion as to the seating arrangements here, right guys?"
    Spoiler: diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+9)[22]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Biggums, the Little Giant

Biggums starts to rise to go to Jeis' defense when Eric step in. The big man settles back down into his corner and watches, still ready to intervene of things go sour.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Completely uninterested in the half-orc's superiority complex, Sylvia eats her meal in relative silence until after Eric tries to get a handle on the situation. "We could talk about all the things we've killed before getting on this boat if you want, but personally I'm more interested in the things that have died while on it. The fact that one of the goats I was trying to herd around the stalls all afternoon isn't in my stomach right now is kind of disheartening. I don't suppose any of you know what happened to it since I brought it to our dear chef?"

Spoiler
    Show

Is diplomacy needed here? (1d20+11)[16]
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah...well...we'd...uh...better to avoid a fight, no matter how impressive you are." The half-orc stammers back at Eric, dropping his hand from Jeis's shoulder "We gotta trade with the orcs, and lots of 'em won't take kind to us carryin' other types of folk into their lands. You think you'd like us takin' orcs to Trunau?"

However reasonable his argument, he's lost all his bluster. The half-orc turns and retreats out through the door to take his meal on the deck. "Didn't know he was the one who rescued Krothu..." He mumbles as he heads out.

-----------------------------------

Sylvia's question draws a shrug from the nearest of the crewmen, Barka, the woman who had been standing watch when you first arrived at the barge. "Probably the officer's table. Raag and Halrex eat with us most nights, but sometimes they get special food." She explains between spoons of mashed tuber.

Spoiler: DC 7 SM
    Show
    You don't think she's lying outright, but she is being deceptive.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar

Asdoukar looks at his plate, realizing that indeed, there is no meat to be found in this gruel. Well, officers were like all over the world.

Spoiler
    Show
    SM (1d20+2)[6]

Edit:A persons' man is, my Asdoukar. Gaze that can cut a diamond.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeis

Half-raised to leave his seat, Jeis looks to the fleeing half-orc, turns and gives Eric an inscrutable look before he finishes standing with his tray and follows after the half-orc that just left. Once out on deck, Jeis looks for the half-orc that just left before him. Once he spots him, Jeis walks over and says, "Mind if I sit here with you? It's way to cramped in there."

"Sorry about Eric," Jeis says as he sits down, "He can be a bit touchy at times, but he is good to have beside you in a fight." Putting down his tray, Jeis reaches out a hand to the half-orc and says, "My name is Jeis by the way, since we weren't properly introduced."

Spoiler
    Show
    Good guy Jeis, making friends with the bully who tried to bully him.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Giving Barka a skeptical glance, "Oh? Is that right? Maybe I should go seem them about it. I'm sure we could work out some kind of deal..."

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive (1d20-1)[16]

.....It's not actually a bluff, I've got nothing better to do than go talk to them about it, so I guess I'm just calling her bluff. Not really sure there's any sort of check needed here...

....short post, not much/anything to describe action wise.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Jeis finds the half-orc leaning on the railing, devouring his fish in big, messy bites. He flashes a surprised glance as the you Trunauan approaches, but doesn't leave. He chews loudly as Jeis says his piece, then responds. "Look, sprout. You have my thanks for saving Krothu, but it doesn't change what I said. If the orcs find out you're on board...if we're lucky, they'll refuse to trade. If we're not..." He thinks for a moment before continuing. "It doesn't matter how good your friend is at fighting. This isn't a fighting boat, it's a trading boat. If we get into a fight with the orcs, we lose. Even if we win, we still lose. You understand? This barge needs to work the rivers in Belkzen and Last Wall both. There's a good reason why every crew member has mixed blood."

----------------------------------------

Barka shrugs her indifference to Sylvia's idea and continues eating. "Your time to waste. They won't share none."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Eric responds as the man leaves, "I am sure the captain has considered how to disembark us without harming his future prospects. Trunau depends on this ship too much for us to want it put at risk."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Shrugging her shoulders, Sylvia gets up from her chair and starts to head to the officer's table. "Guess we'll find out, won't we? Unless you care to tell what it is you know?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy to get her to talk (1d20+11)[25]

Anyway, I had expected more of a reaction from her....damnit now I don't know what to do. Oh well, winging it.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"I know that special cargo is the Captain's business, and not my secret to share." Barka bites off her words before she can say anything more specific, whispers a not-very-nice word in orcish and lets out a resigned sigh. After taking a second to compose herself, she continues. "Look, if you're that interested, go ask Raag real nice. Just leave my name out of it. Last thing I need is a double shift on the bilge pumps for flapping my jaw, OK? All you heard from me is that the officers are eatin' roasted goat in the chart room."

The woman then picks up her half-eaten meal and leaves the galley, intent on not spilling any more beans than she already has.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeis

Out on the deck, Jeis nods at what his dinner companion said and says, "If any of the orcs come sniffing around I can make myself scarce, Eric can keep a low profile too... as long as someone is handy with a rag to keep him from shouting obscenities at the orcs, Asdoukar could probably fit in a barrel, Sylvia can probably magic herself to either look like a half-orc or just turn invisible, and the orcs can hardly fault you for taking on Biggums when the orcs themselves work with giants from time to time." Jeis takes a bite of his rather disappointing potatos before saying, "If all goes well, none of the orcs will even know we were on-board. Though if some orcs do find out and attack... we just need to make sure none escape and then make it so the bodies won't be found for a long-long time."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Nodding to Barka, the dhampir looks around for Raag and, upon finding him, goes on her merry way in his direction. Smiling pleasantly when she gets there, she takes on a pleasant tone, "I was wondering, do you think you could help me out with something? I overheard an interesting rumor about that goat that I brought to the chef being served in the chart room, I was curious if you knew anything more about it."

Spoiler
    Show

MORE DIPLOMACY (1d20+11)[26]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Eric turns back to his food, despite the prospect of it being less than thrilling. He figures it best to let Sylvia do whatever it is she is going to do without interference.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

The chart room is located beneath the aftcastle, behind a heavy iron-bound door with an impressive (and, fortunately, disengaged) lock. Sylvia knocks as she's hauling it open--she's not uncivilized, after all--to find Raag and Halrex seated at a large oval table. Half of the polished wooden expanse is covered with maps, charts, rutters, and ledgers, all hastily swept aside to make room for the lightly roasted goat haunch on the other half of the table.

The officers tear into a half-devoured goat leg with gusto and razor-sharp daggers, the outside charred while the interior proves barely warmed and still bloody. They continue slicing off strips of meat and devouring them as Sylvia speaks, though both turn their eyes towards the interloper as soon as the door is open. The Coxswain is the first to speak.

"You heard right, stablewench. Meat is for officers and their guests. You get promoted to first mate of shyte shovelin' on the first day?"

Raag nearly chokes on a chuckle, and a mouthful of goat. After a moment of coughing on a few long pulls from a crockery jug (the writing on the side is orcish, promising swift death to the weak and mere crippling inebriation to the strong). "Get that shtick out yer rear, Hal'." He finally slurs. "Our passssenger had the intentional fortitude to barge in here and interrupt our meal. Let'sh reward her bravery with a prime cut."

Halrex complies, slicing a good-sized chunk of meat from near the bone. It's so rare that you can practically hear it bleating...and you can actually see it bleeding. The Coxswain skewers it on the clipped tip of her long dagger and offers the morsel to Sylvia.

Spoiler: DC 15 Perception
    Show
    One of the books pushed to one side of the table appears to be a cargo manifest of sorts. "Appears" because you can only judge by the way it's organized, the words themselves are just a jumbled mess of letters that add up to nothing but gibberish in every language you know.

Spoiler: Linguistics, DC 12
    Show
    Raag probably thinks he's clever, writing his cargo manifest in code, but anyone with half a brain and a couple minutes to look at it could tell that he's using a simple substitution cipher. Painfully simple, as it turns out. He's just shifting the Taldan alphabet three letters to the right. Having more than half a brain, you can decode the text almost as quickly as you can read it. Most of it is a list of the mundane goods you already saw heaped on the deck a this morning, but the first entry from before the barge's arrival in Trunau is more interesting: "Bakkara, the horror from the Mwangi Expanse."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Happily taking the proffered piece, Sylvia sinks her fangs into it, savoring the flavor. "But now I'm curious what why it wasn't shared with the crew. Sure, this is delicious, but I'm sure they would have appreciated the meat. Especially after that incident with the alligators."

Spoiler
    Show

Failed the check, don't know what to do, sorry for wasting everyone's time

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Halrex flashes a tight frown, a little miffed that Sylvia didn't exactly quail in the face of eating blue meat. If she notices how the dhampir went about savoring her morsel, the Coxwain doesn't say anything. "Officers get privileges. Better food, private room, cut of the profits, a say in what gets done and how. If the crew wants meat, they can buy their own goats. We pay 'em in coin as well as meals."

For his part, Raag laughs approvingly as Sylvia shows no disgust at the uncooked goat, and takes another swallow from his jug. "If yer so worried bought the crew, why didnya just catch one o' those 'gators to cook up? Yer friends coulda dun it easy enuf. The archer had one half dead, and the shrimp coulda plucked from the water like he did my man and the giant."

"But that's the past, ain't it? No use discussing what's done. How 'bout you head back and get some rest, eh? You got your curiosity sated, and a reward for yer efforts. Might not be so nice if I catch you nosin' 'round the boat again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to continue if you want, but it will take some fancy speechifying to get the information now that you've blown the perception check. I'm going to advance to the next day for the rest of the players.

--------------------------------------------------------

The work day starts early on the boat, with the Coxswain shouting and cursing and upending the hammocks of snoring sailors. The cook enjoyed a bit too much of his rum the night before and overslept his own rising time, leaving you with a cold breakfast of ship's biscuit, a scant handful of dried fruit, and more smoked trout. You expect more grumbling, until you realize that the food isn't any worse than yesterday's tasteless gruel and overcooked egg.

On deck the dawn breaks clear, though the muggy atmosphere promises afternoon thunderstorms. Each of you go to your assigned jobs, same as the day before, except for Jeis. Raag tells the young man to hang close on the deck and help the ship's carpenter repair the broken section of railing.

"Don't expect you to do any woodwork, lad, unless you're secretly good at it." The Captain explains once he can speak to Jeis alone. The half-orc's breath is a little boozy, but he speaks clear enough. "Just sparing you from the sweeps. Think of it as a reward for rescuing my man yesterday. Hal' takes it as a challenge to break the new rowers, you see. Bit of a mean streak, but she gets results. "

Spoiler
    Show
    Same checks as yesterday, please. Except Jeis, who can do as he pleases.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Asdoukar

Asdoukar decides that so far, he likes boats. The job was easy, there were plenty of places to chew your tobacco and all in all, someone else did all the moving. Come the morning, he starts to climb back to the nest, armor, hammer and all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb (1d20+6)[12]
    Perception (1d20+9)[18]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Biggums, the Little Giant

Biggums sets to work with fresh fervor the next morning, aiming to repair the loading mechanism. Any improvement to the fire rate of such a large machine was generally the best way to improve performance, after all.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Craft: (1d20+10)[26]
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeis

"Thank you Captain." Jeis says in response to the Captain basically giving him the day off. "I just got a crash course on carpentry and building back home, so I will see if I can help out at all with repairs. At the very least, I can hold the new rail in place while it is being attached."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jeis actually has knowledge: Engineering as a class skill and it does have a point in it... so might as well roll that and see if I can help out with some knowledge. (1d20+4)[20]

If that fails or does nothing Jeis will probably help out by holding the new rail in place so it can be fixed properly.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, then, you can help finish the job quickly and spend the afternoon resting!" Raag replies, a bit surprised that Jeis has offered to work, but pleased. As he'd made clear previously, he didn't have much patience for those who wouldn't pull their weight.

The barge's railing is a simple affair, little more than square-cut lumber held together with simple but sturdy joints and dowels. Jeis had seen plenty of the same helping rebuild in Trunau, where the rush to throw up a roof before the Spring rains and dearth of skilled carpenters had precluded any embellishments in the reconstruction of parents' home. As predicted, he helps the ship's carpenter get the replacement railing installed away by mid-day.
    Spoiler: Jeis
    Show

It wasn't that surprising that the railing had failed right below the block and tackle used to haul the trawling nets aboard--the area was strained daily by the weight of soaked hemp and fish. But that hardly explained why the broken ends where the wood had given way showed the telltale teeth marks of a saw. Someone had cut halfway through the railing shortly before the incident, leaving it dangerously compromised.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: perception
    Show
    (1d20+8)[27] since I can't take ten (or is that only Biggums?)
    Eric takes up his post, confident in his abilities and reasonably satisfied with the journey thus far.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Eying the still bleeding bit of lamb, the dhampir can't help herself. Her stomach may be human enough that it can't process entirely raw meat safely, but the combination of cooked and yet bloody meat offered here was something she hadn't thought entirely possible. I should learn how to cook. Ultimately, the temptation was far too strong to resist, and so she opted to keep pushing rather than back down now.

Smiling, "At least now I can see why you don't want to share with the crew...but Jeis isn't the only person on this ship who's magically inclined. I wouldn't object to putting my arcane talents to use if it could get me a place at this table."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplo rolled in OOC (1d20+11)[28]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Raag flashes a skeptical glance, but doesn't dismiss Sylvia immediately. "Talentsh like what? Jeish can move cargo, and dat's the verry bizziness this boat ish in. Don't need no hedge mage shetting fire to the mizzenmash."

Halrex interrupts. "Raags sayin' that if all your magic is good for is fighin', you can turn around. Fightin' is nice to have when you need it, but it ain't profitable. You want to take meat from our table, you gotta put some gold on it first."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2015-09-19 at 01:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

Smirking, she decides to take the statement literally and conjures up a small golden statue on top of the table. "Enough gold for you? Though, I admit, that won't last forever. I can create more permanent changes to things that already exist, however. I could easily repair any damage to the boat, or alter the size or shape of anything that needs it. If necessary, I could even dam the river for a while."

Looking contemplative, deciding that it wasn't worth hiding her necromantic talents, "And if anything...irreversible and unfortunate were to happen to the crew or anyone foolish enough to ambush us, such as if we hadn't been able to save those two from the alligators, I can keep you from being short-handed. They wouldn't be suited for any complicated tasks, but they'd have more stamina than any of the rowers."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Raag plucks the statuette from the table and examines it for a few minutes, feeling its heft and even bending one of its arms to check if it's as malleable as pure gold. "Jushta parlor trick," he says, though the gleam in his eyes shows that he's considering the possibilities. "Unlesh it lasts. No profit in shammin' folk. Not fer long, anyways. But maybe yer useful...if we start to sink or find a river needs dammin'. Till then, think o' shomethin' you can do to make real gold." As if to punctuate his statement, the duration of Sylvia's creation expires and the little statue crumbles away into nothingness.

When Sylvia's pitch turns to mention of the undead, Halrex loudly summons up a load of mucus and spits onto the deck at the dhampir's feet. "Don't mention that again where the crew can hear." She says, coldly.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Jeis

Seeing the saw marks on the old rail, Jeis wonders why someone would try to kill the fishing crew. This was the rail used for drawing in the nets after-all, so whoever sabotaged them obviously knew that the rail would break when the catch was brought in.

Considering that Jeis barely knew the crew or what motivations they would have for drowning a fellow crewman, Jeis decides to take the issue of the sabotaged rail up with the captain and goes to find him. "Captain. The new rail is all finished." Taking a look around to make sure him and the Captain are alone, Jeis adds, "Also, I thought you should know, the old rail didn't break on it's own. Someone gave it a head start by sawing halfway through it."
    Last edited by bcool999; 2015-09-19 at 04:27 PM.