New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default The divide between users, when it comes to naming Durkon's doppelganger

Ever since the reveal that the vampire who took control of Durkon is not in fact Durkon, people have been at a loss of what to call him. Some people decided to make up nicknames like Durkula, Darkon or Undurkon, while others decided to use an abbreviation of his formal title (HPOH).

With his resignation from the high priest of Hel position, all of the people calling him HPOH were left without a name to call him, so a new divide formed, as some people started gravitating towards the nicknames, some others started calling him fHPOH, and others gave him that really long and unpronounceable name that I'm too lazy to search and copy-paste into this thread.

With the strip 1022, Roy calls Durkon's doppelganger "Guy pretending to be Durkon". I am a Durkula person myself, but now that we have a semi-official way to call him, I am starting to lean towards that( or to be more exact, its acronym, which is GPTBD). Frankly, what I hope is that there will be a strip dedicated to all of the members of the OOTS having a forum-like discussion in which they decide what to call the vampire from now on. The way I imagine that discussion going is Belkar coming up with some of his original nicknames, while Elan suggests a more Thog-like approach, and convinces everyone to start calling him Not-Durkon from now on.

So, which name are you all leaning towards for Durkon's doppelganger at this point?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The divide between users, when it comes to naming Durkon's doppelganger

Dorkula, because I don't like him
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The divide between users, when it comes to naming Durkon's doppelganger

I call him Durkon, because that's the only name he's ever answered to. He's not Durkon, Roy's friend, but he's still a Durkon.

Usually the context makes it perfectly clear who I'm referring to. Otherwise, I may call him "Vampire Durkon".
    Last edited by hroşila; 2016-02-09 at 10:32 AM.
    ungelic is us

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I lean towards the unpronounceable one. What is it again?
    ...Fishy-Murgle-Smack?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeean_lion View Post
    and others gave him that really long and unpronounceable name that I'm too lazy to search and copy-paste into this thread.
    Do you mean Phyrnglsnyx? It's perfectly pronounceable as fear-en-gil-sniks or as [fyːrŋlˌsnɪks].

So, which name are you all leaning towards for Durkon's doppelganger at this point?
    Phyrnglsnyx. Actually no, I prefer Ph'rnglsn'x.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Durkoff is still the best.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Don't see what's wrong with Durkula--it's entirely obvious who you're referring to when you use it, and it gives a neat method of differentiating between the evil vampire spirit currently inhabiting Durkon's body, and the original Durkon spirit imprisoned in his head.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I too prefer the jumble of pronounceable yet difficult to remember letters and syllables.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

My reasoning hasn't changed since the first thread on this topic: Until/Unless it becomes apparent that his designated understudy in the Godsmoot is not his thrall and therefore subject to his every whim, he's the still the de facto High Priest of Hel; so I'm sticking with HPoH for now.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    My reasoning hasn't changed since the first thread on this topic: Until/Unless it becomes apparent that his designated understudy in the Godsmoot is not his thrall and therefore subject to his every whim, he's the still the de facto High Priest of Hel; so I'm sticking with HPoH for now.
    Hihg Priest In Exile, in a way?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Agreed. Durkula is just painful to read.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'm quite sold on Guy Pretending To Be Durkon (GPTBD). Vampire In Durkon's Body (VIDB) isn't bad, though.

(Personally, I never minded Durkula, but apparently some people are allergic to it, so I'm fine with something else. I will use that horrifying alphabet soup of a name, however, when someone forcibly types it with my cold, dead fingers.)
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2016-02-09 at 02:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lurky Corpsewhiskers. If it's good enough for the Belkster, etc.

And, of course, Macey Shadows for the new High Priestess.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I call him the High Priest of Hel or "Durkon". The transfer of his position is a sham, after all.

I don't know why people find some of the nicknames annoying (except for the new unspellable one, at least), but I don't see much reason to use them either.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with Durkula--it's entirely obvious who you're referring to when you use it, and it gives a neat method of differentiating between the evil vampire spirit currently inhabiting Durkon's body, and the original Durkon spirit imprisoned in his head.
    I use Durkula or not-Durkon. Clarity and ease of communication is important. Acronyms and deliberately difficult jumbles of consonants do not accomplish that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I used to use HPoH, but now i prefer "Durkon"

17. - Top - End - #17

I use HPoH. Considering that the other priests of Hel are his thralls, I don't think he's actually stopped being Hel's high priest.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Durkula, Durkon, the vampire, Durks, Durkoff, Darth Durk for all I care. Anything that isn't too unwieldy and, in context, is understood by everyone. That's the weakness of Phyrnglsnyx or any of the abbreviations, you have to be in on the joke to be in on the conversation. GPTBD is only a good name when everyone in the discussion realizes what the abbreviation is supposed to mean. If you do want to go the way of abbreviations, than shorter is better. HPOH is still pretty easy to memorize and/or figure out, TGWSBBAHWTBMH is a little harder.

(Yes, that actually stands for something, I'm not going to say for what, that way I either get a demonstration of my point, or I get to be impressed.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeean_lion View Post
    Ever since the reveal that the vampire who took control of Durkon is not in fact Durkon, people have been at a loss of what to call him. Some people decided to make up nicknames like Durkula, Darkon or Undurkon, while others decided to use an abbreviation of his formal title (HPOH).
    And then there are yet others who are not into such shenanigans and call the vampire by the name he answers to, Durkon, safe in the knowledge that it is clear from the context in a given post whether we are talking about the vampire spirit or the dwarf soul.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm still calling him Phyrnglsnyx until he gives himself an actual name.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    I'm still calling him Phyrnglsnyx until he gives himself an actual name.
    and possibly after, if it isn't appropriately silly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #23

RangerGuy

Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong with Durkula. It conveys the message well enough that someone who comes into the forum for the first time is capable of figuring out the meaning without needing some extra context (which the unpronounceable name and HPoH, when it only shows up as an acronym during any given conversation, fail to do).

There are a bunch of other names that also fit this criteria, and they're all equally fine. But calling Durkula "Jfoadjwofjsi" or whatever is just bad communication in a medium that is supposed to cater to a somewhat broad audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    There are a bunch of other names that also fit this criteria, and they're all equally fine. But calling Durkula "Jfoadjwofjsi" or whatever is just bad communication in a medium that is supposed to cater to a somewhat broad audience.
    It's actually an insider joke. The comic has a relatively broad audience, but the forum is a community, and it tends to make jokes which aren't understandable by outsiders: "Haley is half-celestial! Everything is Trigak! The vampire called gymnosphynx!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's actually an insider joke. The comic has a relatively broad audience, but the forum is a community, and it tends to make jokes which aren't understandable by outsiders: "Haley is half-celestial! Everything is Trigak! The vampire called gymnosphynx!"
    The vampire is a Gynosphinx?

While i'm sure this could add another level of humor for the tavern goers in #710, the Gynosphinx is a Magical beast which i'm pretty sure is incompatible with the vampire template.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    The vampire is a Gynosphinx?

While i'm sure this could add another level of humor for the tavern goers in #710, the Gynosphinx is a Magical beast which i'm pretty sure is incompatible with the vampire template.
    No, it's just that I couldn't remember how the actual fake unpronounceable name is, and there is an X in it. Phylostorgix? Anyway, writing Gymnosphynx instead of Gynosphynx is another insider joke - Gyno- means "womanly", Gymno- means "naked" Sphynx.

27. - Top - End - #27

SolithKnightGuy

I was worried this might start...

I tend to use HpoH until someone else breaks the Phyrnglsnyx barrier in a thread, then I accept that it's use isn't my fault and other people who can figure out how to change their sigs (I'm on the mobile site only) bear the burden of explaining how the name came about.

Bear in mind Phyrnglsnyx is the 'Brooklyn Rage' of my jokes. It was never meant to catch on.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

28. - Top - End - #28

I've mostly gone for Durkula up to this point, but maybe TEFKAHPOH (The Entity Formerly Known As `High Priest of Hel`) might be worth considering - it has the merit of actually being pronounceable, unlike most of the initialisms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

29. - Top - End - #29

I'm not fond of Durkula, Durkoff, Undurkon, Darkon and that kind of names because in my mind, in the same way than "Vampire Durkon", they only work if the vampire was Evil Durkon. But he's not.

I found HPoH quite flawless from #946 to #1017, so fHPoH will do for the moment.

Also I find it fun that the forumites have so many different names for him. We sound like Belkar :D
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm going to take a page from D&D history, and call the vampire "The Creature Durkon". Of course the original Durkon probably didn't have ranks in "Craft: Alchemy", so I can't call him "The Alchemist Durkon".

(Ten points to anyone who gets the reference!)