1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Blood Magic Spells

Hey there, it's my first time posting here.

Well, let's get right to it.

I wanted to create a school of magic for spellcasters that didn't rely on spell level or have any spell slots, but instead went by removing hitpoints that cannot be healed unless done so by a long rest.

Blood Coiling
    As a bonus action, deal 3d4 damage to yourself that cannot be healed unless by a long rest, or incur one level of exhaustion, you increase you or an ally's attack, spell attack or spell save DC by a quarter of that amount, a minimum of +1. This does not stack, and lasts until the end of the target's next turn.

Blood Casting
    Regain a 1st Level Spell Slot, deal 1d6 Damage (2d6 for a 2nd level spell slot, 3d6 for a 3rd level spell slot, etc.) to yourself that cannot be healed unless by a long rest. This can be done as many times as you want until you fall unconscious.

Blood Rage
    You use Blood Magic to make someone fly into a frenzy, attacking everything they see. Deal 1d10 damage to youself that cannot be healed unless by a long rest. Target must make a Wisdom Saving Throw that beats your spellsave dc. On a failed save, the target is enraged for as many rounds as the amount of damage that was deat to yourself (IE: A roll of 4 would cause the rage to last for 4 rounds, it cannot end early unless done so by a wisdom saving throw that beats your spellcasting dc.)

The Blood Rage acts as the Barbarian Rage.

Blood Boil
    You use your abilities to make the blood of your enemy boil.
    The caster deals 1d6 damage to him or herself that cannot be healed and the target makes a con saving throw at your spellcasting DC, taking half damage with a successful save. The caster can intensify the damage, but will be required to use more blood.

Yourself - Target
    1d6 - 2d10
    2d6 - 3d10
    3d6 - 4d10
    4d6 - 5d10
    5d6 - 6d10
    6d6 - 7d10
    7d6 - 8d10
    8d6 - 9d10
    9d6 - 10d10

I don't feel like this is as good as it can be, and I would appreciate assistance in making it as balanced and fun as possible.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Blood Magic Spells

Blood magic on paper seems like a great idea, very thematic. My only issue with it, however, is fundamental: can the wizard afford to lose hit points to power these abilities, given he has the lowest hit dice in the game? It adds salt to injury that he cannot simply heal this damage with neither magic nor short rests. This is a mage that will die very quickly, my friend.
    I do hope that you could get it to work somehow, however. As blood magic is insanely awesome. Best of luck!
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

"Follow me, and I will protect you,
    Laugh with me, don't you cry,
    Please, just trust me
    One of us has to!"
    —Vamber, The daring Martyr, portrayed by Ceika's amazing avatar skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!
    D&D 5th Edition Binder Class - a collaborative effort. (WIP)
    My (well, our-) Vestige Codex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

So would it be safer for the Wizard if the damage was lessened, or if the damage done could be healed?
    Last edited by Dr Verdugo; 2015-08-30 at 03:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Verdugo View Post
    So would it be safer for the Wizard if the damage was lessened, or if the damage done could be healed?
    Perhaps, or you can try using your hit dice to power it instead of hit points. Like, this ability costing a 1d6 from hit die, which you roll and this happens.
    It won't directly lower the Wizard's hit points, but it would cost him from the total he can recover from short rests during the day. Keep costs low and the effects tempting, otherwise people might start getting hesitant to use your class when other traditions offer something for nothing.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.

"Follow me, and I will protect you,
    Laugh with me, don't you cry,
    Please, just trust me
    One of us has to!"
    —Vamber, The daring Martyr, portrayed by Ceika's amazing avatar skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I trust you mister DM! I just don't trust your NPC's!
    D&D 5th Edition Binder Class - a collaborative effort. (WIP)
    My (well, our-) Vestige Codex

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The problem about blood magic is, either It's too costly or weak (if the character draws the blood of himself) or too powerful (if he draws it from someone else... or a lot of "someones ").
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

6. - Top - End - #6

Maybe the best approach to this is as a sorcerous origin... with a feature that allows you to regain sorcery points by spending hit dice, an additional (unique) metamagic that supercharges spells by burning hit points, a feature that only activates when the sorcerer is wounded (giving them easier access to their blood, as in the Kingkiller Chronicle books) and maybe a capstone that allows them to regain sorcery points when they kill something other than a construct or undead?

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
    I'm British; expect some sarcasm.

Spoiler: Testimonials
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Spoiler: Play-by-Post
    Show
    DMing: Children's Toys (OOC), A Faerie Affair (OOC)
    Playing: Alysűla Qualirine, Chandara Lueltar

Extended Homebrew Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

What if taking damage makes your magic stronger? You could make a class feature that says something like: "Once per turn, whenever you take damage from an attack made by a creature, you add half the damage taken to the damage of your next attack against the creature that attacked you."

As an example, lets say a goblin slices at a Blood Mage for 6 slashing damages. The Blood Mage uses the pain from the strike to fuel his casting as he launches a Fire Bolt at his foe. The Firebolt will do 1d10 + 3 Fire damage because of the goblin's initial attack.

If that's too strong, you could make it something that recharges at a short rest.
    Last edited by Molemanking; 2015-09-01 at 09:37 PM.