New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Grandeur of Delusions - A PF Mesmerist Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    It's not FAQ/errata, so it's not RAW, but it's worth noting as RAI. He can say that "emotionless" means you can provide emotion components on spells, but "Emotionless" in the Inner Sea Bestiary only notes a -4 penalty on Sense Motive checks.

Edit: Also, I think he deleted that post. I've tried Googling it, and I can only find people quoting him, not him saying it. I think this is the page it was originally from, but his post is gone.
    Maybe we can cast Summon Rogue Eidolon to see what's up with that?
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Regarding intimidation check out Calming armor: swift action to suppress all local emotion affects. Boom, psychic casters without a class ability solutions can buy this.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/a...Abilities.html

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Arguable, actually. Afb, doesn't calm emotions also lock out emotion components?
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It should, since it's not a harmless spell.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Spamalot in the Playground

Calm emotions does, but the armor does not cast the spell, it only uses the spell in its construction.

It's a moot point anyway, the armor only calms down "any agitated opponent threatening her."
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-09-04 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's your handbook, I can only tell you what he said.
    I think it's as silly as saying that because Dwarves have a racial ability called "Greed" they take a penalty on saving throws against beguiling gift.

[Race] has an ability called [Name]. Therefore, they suffer [affect that might make sense fluff-wise, but is not even remotely referenced in the ability's description].

Now, if there's something in Occult Adventures that says something like "Creatures immune to mind-affecting effects cannot provide emotion components for spells," I'll cede the point in an instant.

Also - under Wisdom, you still have a reference to emotion components locking you out of spellcasting, which is not the case.
    Fixed. Thanks!
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

7. - Top - End - #37

Whereas I think it's silly to state that something that doesn't feel emotions can achieve "a particular emotional state" or feel "desires and animal impulses." And the dwarf example isn't really comparable, because it's not an end-run around an intentional limitation in an entire magic system.

Regardless I do agree with you that it needs to be clarified, but don't be surprised if it is.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #38

MindFlayer

Calm emotions does, but the armor does not cast the spell, it only uses the spell in its construction.

It's a moot point anyway, the armor only calms down "any agitated opponent threatening her."
    I think it's arguable, but you're probably right. Here's my case.

Calming armor is dyed or stained a soothing color, usually blue. As a swift action, the wearer can create a 5-foot aura around her that quiets the emotions of any agitated opponent threatening her. A creature that is raging or under an emotion effect must succeed at a DC 15 Will saving throw or those effects are suppressed (but not dispelled) for as long as the aura persists. The aura can be used up to 10 rounds each day, though the rounds don't need to be consecutive. Ending the aura is a swift action.
    The first line is just the fluff on what the designer intended. It's armor, psychic magic didn't exist yet, of course you're going to be using it against those threatening you. But the second line is the actual mechanic benefit, and all it says is that "a creature...under an emotion effect must succeed at a DC 15 Will saving throw or those effects are suppressed." RAW, you must succeed at a will save (which you can choose to fail) to retain your emotion effects.

Alas, it's an aura. While not defined anywhere I can find, most aura affects are bursts or emanations with a duration coming from the caster and it seems "aura" is intended as a generic but not formally defined term for those. Usually those spells/affects apply to the caster as well (Paladin Aura of Good, Holy Aura spell), sometimes (e.g. Cloak of Dreams) they don't affect the caster.

Here the "fluff" line is relevant, it indicates this is intended not affect the caster, so you wouldn't lose your morale or positive emotion affects and can't suppress your negative ones.

But I think it would be fair to use this as a template to design a different version that would have the affect we want.

--BREAK--

So another easy way to "shut down" psychic casters occurred to me - continuous damage, such as this spell:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/a...ainStrike.html

Psychic casters under this effect would have to always pass a concentration check of 20+half damage(negligible)+spell level, and with a sickened penalty. Or they could sacrifice a move action to bring it down to 10+etc., but this would make it easier for a melee fighter to get in their face and force two concentration checks if they want to cast a spell by casting on the defensive. Not too bad.

Note that this spell and the mass version are bonus spells for the Pain Psychic discipline, which is this week my favorite discipline. They are also early access for the Psychic, he gets them at spell level 2 and 4. It's a Fortitude save, early access, and especially nasty for psychic casters, so I'd expect it to be a standard selection for Psychics who expect to fight other psychic casters.
    Last edited by Slithery D; 2015-09-04 at 11:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silence is a good Spell to know for a Mesmerist since they don't have to worry about verbal components to their spells.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    Silence is a good Spell to know for a Mesmerist since they don't have to worry about verbal components to their spells.
    Excellent point. Making a note of it.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2015-09-05 at 06:07 AM.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

11. - Top - End - #41

Note that some of their spells do still require speech though, e.g. Suggestion.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #42

MindFlayer

Or telepathy at higher levels.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Concerning the fear/Intimidate problem, I thought of an interesting solution: the Magical Lineage trait.

It lets a single spell count as -1 level for purposes of metamagic. Any psychic spell caster that has access to Remove Fear could select it with this trait, and use Logical spell with it starting at level 1 as a 1st level spell.

It's a bit of a trait/feat/spell known tax, and it takes a full-round action which sucks, but it's another solution, particularly if you're playing mostly at low levels or in a game with little wealth for rods.

14. - Top - End - #44

MindFlayer

That's a good catch, but the resource investment and action economy is bad enough on it that I think potions are the way to go, and then only if you're facing 3+ rounds of intimidation.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Love the guide, man. The class looks sick, and I really like your penalty boxer idea.
    I'm having some trouble understanding your Big Trouble build, though. From the situation you give it seems like you're vital striking (with piercing strike without having feinted yet), followed by feinting, followed by another attack.
    The closest to that I can figure out is feinting as a move action, activating surprise strike, hitting with vital strike, and getting the follow-up attack at a -5. That still wouldn't let you get Piercing Strike in, though.
    Or, I guess you could feint as a move action, activate piercing strike, and then attack. Doesn't let you get the second attack, and you suggest in the guide that surprise strike is much better than piercing strike as soon as you get it.
    Unless you're suggesting that as you level up as a vexing daredevil you can activate multiple dazzling feint abilities, but that doesn't seem to be true.
    I'd love some clarification regarding this archetype build, please ^__^

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ectar View Post
    From the situation you give it seems like you're vital striking (with piercing strike without having feinted yet), followed by feinting, followed by another attack.
    The closest to that I can figure out is feinting as a move action, activating surprise strike, hitting with vital strike, and getting the follow-up attack at a -5. That still wouldn't let you get Piercing Strike in, though.
    Or, I guess you could feint as a move action, activate piercing strike, and then attack. Doesn't let you get the second attack, and you suggest in the guide that surprise strike is much better than piercing strike as soon as you get it.
    Unless you're suggesting that as you level up as a vexing daredevil you can activate multiple dazzling feint abilities, but that doesn't seem to be true.
    I'd love some clarification regarding this archetype build, please ^__^
    Anything you're seeing about piercing strike in the build was from my first draft of the build where I somehow thought that piercing strike would turn out to be more damage than surprise strike (which is obviously not the case).

So what you're doing is:
    Feint as move action, choosing surprise strike
    Vital Strike standard action
    If Vital Strike hits, you get the bonus from surprise strike

Interestingly, you can apply multiple dazzling feints on a single attack if you can somehow feint more than once:

At 3rd level, each time a vexing daredevil successfully feints against a creature under the effect of her hypnotic stare, she also chooses one of her dazzling feint benefits to activate.
    (Emphasis mine). You can't use the misdirection mesmerist trick (as it contains the sentence "The target doesn't suffer any additional effects that the mesmerist or the subject would cause on a normal feint or Bluff check"), but if you can find another way to feint as a swift action, you could feint (swift), feint (move), Vital Strike (standard) and get two.

Here's a few ways I've found to do that with a quick search, but two of them use non-standard subsystems:

Wave Strike
    Moonlight Stalker Feint
    Passing Trick (possible action economy problems)
    Mythic Improved Feint
    Greater Feint (with the Stamina system)

There's also the Steel Serpent maneuver Rattler's Feint, but it's 4th level.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can you feint against a foe while you are invisible?
    I can't find anything that specifically prevents it, and it WOULD be useful on enemies that have uncanny dodge and the like.
    So you can cast invisibility on yourself, stare down a foe, and move into position on round 1. Round 2 feint as a swift action with moonlight stalker, feint as a move action from improved feint, and you've got 2 dazzling feints to apply to your attack.
    If there were some way to attack as a swift action (seems unlikely) the same type of trick would work.
    If you want to grab another feat (probably power attack), be human and pick up the trait blood of dragons to gain the requisite low-light vision.

And I am playing with the errata'd version of amateur swashbuckler, so I dropped that to follow this silliness.

1-Blind fight
    3-Combat Expertise
    5-Moonlight Stalker
    7-Intense Pain
    9-Vital Strike
    11-Moonlight Stalker Feint

Is it good? Probably not. But, I'm amused.
    And it comes online just one level after you get greater invisibility, so you can do it several times per combat.

I have a tiny feeling this isn't RAI, but it should work as written, and I like it.
    Last edited by Ectar; 2015-09-10 at 01:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Re: Feinting while invisible. I can't see anything about it, either. After a little thought, I'd allow it as a GM because there are plenty of ways to feint without your opponent seeing you (throwing your voice to make it sound like you're coming from another direction, batting at your opponent's weapon, etc.).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's your handbook, I can only tell you what he said.
    Still, it's nice when what he said can be found and verified instead of apparently having been deleted which does raise questions as far as legitimacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Still, it's nice when what he said can be found and verified instead of apparently having been deleted which does raise questions as far as legitimacy.
    Sure, I guess. *shrug*
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, I guess. *shrug*
    For example, to me, that says he was reading forums, posted his opinion, then someone else at Paizo went "Wait, did we decide that's how it works?" and they're in internal discussions.

Because psychic robots and undead shouldn't be crippled on principle. Especially the Androids, who aren't even immune to the effects that lock out emotion components. And yes, having to cast everything through a rod, or with a metamagic feat applied, is crippling.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    For example, to me, that says he was reading forums, posted his opinion, then someone else at Paizo went "Wait, did we decide that's how it works?" and they're in internal discussions.

Because psychic robots and undead shouldn't be crippled on principle. Especially the Androids, who aren't even immune to the effects that lock out emotion components. And yes, having to cast everything through a rod, or with a metamagic feat applied, is crippling.
    The wording of the Empathy racial feat suggests they are immune, because it allows them to be affected by morale and fear effects. If they're not immune then I agree, it's fine, but if they are then that should be a double-edged sword and they should need the feat to use psychic magic.

Fun fact: Undead aren't actually immune to fear (otherwise you couldn't turn them.) They're immune to mind-affecting, but I wouldn't say that means they're incapable of feeling emotions.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Archives is currently feeding me a 404 error, so I'm running off of PFSRD.

And looking at it, I find the source of confusion. Emotionless is not the relevant racial ability here. All that does is -4 to Sense Motive. Relevant here is the Constructed racial trait
    Constructed: For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger's favored enemy and bane weapons), androids count as both humanoids and constructs. Androids gain a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects, are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion, and are immune to disease and sleep effects. Androids can never gain morale bonuses, and are immune to fear effects and all emotion-based effects (2 RP.)

Funny, since that has nothing intrinsically linking it to being emotionless.

As far as the undead thing, IIRC, it comes down to the line about all Fear effects being mind affecting. I've brought up the same argument, and always get the response of turning being a specific overriding the general of undead being immune.
    Last edited by Vhaidara; 2015-09-10 at 04:14 PM. Reason: bolding relevant line

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #54

Archives is currently feeding me a 404 error, so I'm running off of PFSRD.

And looking at it, I find the source of confusion. Emotionless is not the relevant racial ability here. All that does is -4 to Sense Motive. Relevant here is the Constructed racial trait
    Constructed: For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger's favored enemy and bane weapons), androids count as both humanoids and constructs. Androids gain a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects, are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion, and are immune to disease and sleep effects. Androids can never gain morale bonuses, and are immune to fear effects and all emotion-based effects (2 RP.)

Funny, since that has nothing intrinsically linking it to being emotionless.
    Ah yes, that's what the immunity is coming from. Regardless, that feat does remove their immunity along with the emotionless quality.

Regardless, I take the viewpoint that if you're immune to emotions you shouldn't be able to provide emotion components.

As far as the undead thing, IIRC, it comes down to the line about all Fear effects being mind affecting. I've brought up the same argument, and always get the response of turning being a specific overriding the general of undead being immune.
    Right, I agree it's a specific exception, I just brought it up to demonstrate that there are exceptions at all.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun fact: Undead aren't actually immune to fear (otherwise you couldn't turn them.) They're immune to mind-affecting, but I wouldn't say that means they're incapable of feeling emotions.
    Mark and I actually had a conversation about that back when Paizo reintroduced the language making Intimidate a mind-affecting fear effect that had previously been removed during the conversion from 3.5. Apparently as far as Paizo is concerned, undead cannot feel emotions. That's also why they have some psychic creatures that really should be undead, like the Spiritualist's Phantom, as outsiders instead.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

::facepalm:: I can't believe the text for them being immune to emotion-based effects was right above Emotionless. You were right, Psyren. Changing it in the guide now.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Mark and I actually had a conversation about that back when Paizo reintroduced the language making Intimidate a mind-affecting fear effect that had previously been removed during the conversion from 3.5. Apparently as far as Paizo is concerned, undead cannot feel emotions. That's also why they have some psychic creatures that really should be undead, like the Spiritualist's Phantom, as outsiders instead.
    This...is kinda rapidly becoming one of those things that they are gonna have to make an official stance on.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mental Potency (Ex): At 5th level, the mesmerist can affect more powerful creatures or a greater number of creatures than normal with his mental effects. Both the HD limit and the total number of HD affected with each enchantment or illusion spell he casts increase by 1. For enchantment and illusion spells he casts that target a number of creatures greater than one, the number of creatures affected also increases by one (so a spell that targets one creature per level would be affected, but a spell that targets only one creature would not be). For example, a 5thlevel mesmerist could affect 5 HD worth of creatures with sleep, affect 2d4+1 HD worth of creatures with hypnotism, and change the categories for color spray to “3 HD or fewer,” “4 or 5 HD,” and “6 or more HD.” The number of additional HD or creatures increases by an additional 1 for every 5 levels beyond 5th, to a maximum increase of 4 at 20th level.
    I don't have a clue how usefull it is but Mental Potency seems to work on both Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation.

Are there any Conjuration or Evocation spells that have an HD limit?

I know the additional number of affected targets part would be usefull to some extent.

29. - Top - End - #59

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    I don't have a clue how usefull it is but Mental Potency seems to work on both Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation.

Are there any Conjuration or Evocation spells that have an HD limit?

I know the additional number of affected targets part would be usefull to some extent.
    The ability specifies Enchantment and Illusion only though?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    The ability specifies Enchantment and Illusion only though?
    Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation are illusion spells that let you simulate conjuration and evocation spells, so knowing what spells from those schools match the parameters of the ability helps you pick the ones you'll copy as illusions.