New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 13: Inspire: Shuffle Meta

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I kind of agree, I'd like to see more 'you play the deck we build' decks, as it evens out opportunities for players, plus it offers some interesting possibilites, like violating the 2 card cap.
    I very much agree with that. Ragnaros v Nefarian and the TGT preview Brawl were easily my favorites, entirely because they were prebuilt decks. Also partially because they let you play with cards you didn't normally have access to (granted only because they weren't out yet in the latter case, but still), but I think even a Brawl with prebuilt decks that didn't have anything not normally available would still be more fun than any other type of Brawl they've done.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized this Brawl makes Dr. Balanced even more balanced.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Just realized this Brawl makes Dr. Balanced even more balanced.
    I hereby propose that we change Dr. Balanced's name to 'Omnipresent Goblin', in honor of a great hero of our time.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Eh, I'd say I like this Brawl more than the usual "let's just add more RNG to the game" ones, but less than the extra mana ones or the preconstructed deck ones.

The main thing that keeps me from really liking it is that it feels like it restricts deck options more than anything else. You absolutely have to throw in all the good deathrattles (Shredder, Creeper, Loot Hoarder, Nerubian Egg, etc), then add whatever class cards seem good, some silence because you know your opponent will have a ton of deathrattles, and maybe Undertaker and/or Lil Exorcist if you can fit them, and that's pretty much the deck, every time. You can maybe tweak it more towards aggro (Leper Gnome) or control (Piloted Sky Golem, Sneed's Old Shredder), but most decks will look a lot alike, which is kind of dull.
    Knife Juggler is pretty good as well thanks to double deathrattle summons.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Knife Juggler is pretty good as well thanks to double deathrattle summons.
    I think he's a bit of a 'win more' choice, since your can rely on your opponents to kill him first unless you contrive to stop them. That said, Turn 2 creeper into turn 3 juggalo did get a lot stronger.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Went face huntard for this Tavern Brawl mainly due to having the 2 win hunter/druid quest. I don't feel like rerolling because I'm having terrible luck with quest lately.

lost the first match vs another face hunter... ball of spiders became decent because the 1/1 spiders are giving you two beast and refill your hand quickly late game. I counter with lil exoist but he just keep running spiders into it until he got an owl to silence me. I got him down to 4 but he played a king of beast and it was GG for me.

The next one was vs a Shaman... I'm guessing he's trying the reincarnate combo but it was just too slow. He had Feugen out but decided to hit my face and triggered my freezing trap. I managed to finished him off before I get to see what the rest of his deck look like.

Then I got pitted against a zoo... he could have won but he decided to hit my harvest golem with my knife juggler still on the board... it spawned 2 2/1 and it killed the rest of the 1/1 he had on the table... He hellfired anyways but I just played more sticky creatures afterwards and just out raced him in dmg.

Then with sufficient gold I tried an arena:

Spoiler: My Mage Draft!
    Show
    (Mage)/Warrior/Hunter

1.(Argent Commander)/Crazed Alchemist/Ancient Mage

2.(Sooth spewer)/Grim Patron/Young Priestess

I was tempted to take Grim Patron. Not sure why it's ranked so low...

3.(Harvest Golem)/Grimscale Oracle/Silverhand Regent

I'm tempted to pick Regent... I think the sure 2/1 spawn is better then a possiblity of many 1/1 spawns later...

4.(Flame Cannon)/Unstable Ghoul/Lord of the Arena

5.(Draknoid Crusher)/Lost Tallstrider/Darkscale Healer

6.(Earthen farseerer)Razorfen Hunter/Ice Barrier

7.(Boneguard Liet)/Venture co Merc/Southsea Deckhand

I'm flooded with a lot of decent 3 drops but not seeing any 2s... and the venture co is very tempting pick... not sure if I picked correctly

8.(Murkla's Champion)/Blackwing Corruptor/Arcane explosion

Heartharena say Blackwing Corruptor (by a bit) due to synergy with Draknoid Crusker, but even without the synergy the 5/4 body is better then the 4/3 body...I think I've made a mistake here.

9.(Bluegrill Warrior)/Tournament Attendee/Murloc Tidehunter

10.(Kirin Tor Mage)/Counterspell/Fencing Coach

11.(Lost Tallstrider)/War Golem/Mad scientist

Feels like I missed the Mad scientist here... Heartharena say Last Tallstrider by a mile... then again it's pick 11.

12.(Flamestrike)/Fen Creeper/Pilot Shredder

13. (Argent Horsemen)/Mirror Image/Tournament Attendee

14. (Tinkertown tech)/Wisp/Shieldbearer

15. (Pilot Shredder)/Frost Elemental/Murloc Raider

16. (Frost Elemental)/Arcane Intellect/Duplicate

17. (Ice Barrier)/Arcane Explosion/Ironforge Riftlemen

Hearthstone Arena actually says to pick Arcane explosion! I kinda loled.

18. (Polymorph Boar)/master swordsmith/Gagetzen Auctioneer

19. (Frostbolt)/Flesheating Ghoul/Reckless Rocketeer

20. (Grand Crusader)/Clockwork Giant/Spellbinder

21. (Mechwarper)/Salty dog/Archmage

22. (Sorceress Apprentice)/Northsea Kraken/Argent Squire

Heartharena says release the Kraken! but I wanted the girl :(

23. (Lowly Squire)/Flamelance/Scarlet Crusader

Heartharena says Flamelance. I would have picked Crusader but I'm flooded with 3 drops

24. (Sunwalker)/Goblin Blastmage/Coliseum Manger

Heartharena says Blastmage from all the mech I have. I think Sunwalker is the safer choice.

25. (Novice Engineer) / Silent Knight/ Raging Worgan

Heartharena says silent Knight... I'm thinking this is probably my last chance at a 2 drop.

26. (Flamestrike)/Grimscale Oracle/Mana Wyrm

27. (Mana Wyrm)/War Golem/Spellbinder

Really tempted to picked the War Golem because I don't have a finisher. Mana Wyrm for early game.

28. (Spellbreaker)/Goldshire Footman/Gurbashi Berserker

29. (Questing Adventurer)/Flamewalker/Target Dummy

Heartharena says flamewalker due to all the spell synergy.

30. (Madder Bomber)/ Kirin Tor Mage/ Saboteur

So far I'm 3-0. Looking back I don't think I've made good picks but the two flamestrike carried me. I actually went to reddit and saw a posting about kripp's advince on Arena... I tried to remember some of the advice including envisioning my deck's win condition... which in this case is mid-range... I need to survive and do some damage into the mid game and then go for the face because I got no big creatures into the late game. I need to bait a lot of creatures out and then flame strike them and then start the damage race.

This is also the best deck I've drafted mainly due to dumb luck (two flamestrike, Flame cannon, and a Frost bolt) but it's also strange since I got so many three drops. We'll see if my luck continues.
    Last edited by TechnoWarforged; 2015-09-09 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Talking about infractions can get you infractions

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I think it takes less to dislodge a deck from the meta than you might think. Nerfing the Gadgetzan Auctioneer only pushed its mana cost up by one, yet it went from being a dominant component to the meta to completely non-existent. The notion that Patron could have one less attack and yet still be viable against aggro is more evidence, I think, that it's an appropriate nerf. Going from 3 to 2 attack also opens it up to shenanigans like Cabal Shadow Priest.

There's lots of decks that can deliver a big chunk of damage in an OTK, when their combo shows up, though. What makes patron so strong currently is that it's components are strong enough outside the combo to hang in there in an attrition battle until the combo can be brought to bear. In any case, my point remains: "Patron created this problem, Patron should be nerfed to fix it".
    The reason why Patron Warrior is so much better and consistent than Math Warrior is because the Patron's self-replicating ability means that the warrior can now provide his own board to combo for large Frothing Berserkers Turns as well as a flood of Patrons providing an additional win condition. Most people's problem isn't with Patrons themselves (almost all classes have ways of removing a flood of 3 health minions), but with the ridiculous OTK damage conditions where even armoring up to 25 with an empty board doesn't protect them. Reducing their damage to 2 would lower the power of the deck a bit, but it wouldn't solve the underlying problem of really heavily buffed Frothings. Some decks can do a lot of burst from hand (hello Malygos), but not 50+.

Back when Blizzard was still nerfing cards, they nerfed Miracle Rogue and they nerfed Buzzard + Unleash because they didn't think OTK combos were fun and they didn't think punishing someone for playing minions was fun either. Frothing Berserker violates both.

Honestly, I think Patron is a fun deck that seems mostly balanced (except for heavy control decks), but it has a pretty good matchup percentage against all decks, with no clear weaknesses and can be frustrating to play against.

I've seen a lot of suggestions about what to nerf, with a lot of people targeting different pieces:

Emperor Thaurissan nerfs:

1) Stop him from reducing costs below 1: This already has precedence in cards like Summoning Portal. Would stop some of really big frothing turns by limiting the number of free whirlwind effects.

2) Make Thaurissan proc at the beginning of the turn: Frankly, this would kill the card and make it unplayable. I've rarely seen Thaurissan live past one turn and a 6 mana 5/5 is terrible.

Warsong Commander nerfs:

1) Limit the charge given to minions to 3 or below; if the creature goes above then charge is removed: I don't find this to be that overpowering since I do like the Inner Rage Patron getting charge and there are other cards like Raging Worgen that would be affected.

Frothing Berserker nerfs:

1) I think Trump was the one who suggested Frothing Berserkers get nerfed to 2/3 so that only 2 whirlwind effects can be used: I wonder how much this limits the "out of hand" OTKs with no board.
    2) Berserkers only proc on friendly minions taking damage: I like this nerf quite a bit since it does fix the problem where enemies were scared to play minions because it'd add more damage to the berserkers.

Battle Rage nerfs:

1) Brian Kibler suggested that since Patron is a combo deck, attacking the insane card draw of Battle Rage might be the answer. He suggested that it only draw cards from damaged minions, excluding face damage. That makes it useless as just a plain cycle and lowers the card draw and thus time for the Patron Warrior to draw the requisite combo cards.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen the suggestion to make Frothing Berserker a 3/3, and I think that's a good one. It has all the benefits of making it a 2/3 (only two whirlwind effects rather than 3), but with a slight buff to damage to ease the pain a bit.

More than anything, I think the key thing to keep in mind is that Patron Warrior isn't a problem because it's powerful (it is, but not as dominant as problem decks of the past, and that dominance is already slipping), it's a problem because of the explosive burst potential it has. Being able to deal that much damage in a single turn is not healthy for the game, regardless of whether it makes the deck too strong or not.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Draft comments
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWarforged View Post

3/3 for 5. In Mage, 6/5 for 7, so not as bad. Still, unless you get quite lucky, you're getting subpar value.

3.(Harvest Golem)/Grimscale Oracle/Silverhand Regent

I'm tempted to pick Regent... I think the sure 2/1 spawn is better then a possiblity of many 1/1 spawns later...
    Golem is easily the better card.

I'm flooded with a lot of decent 3 drops but not seeing any 2s... and the venture co is very tempting pick... not sure if I picked correctly
    I'd pick Venture Co. here, but I'm greedy. Boneguard is fine.

Heartharena say Blackwing Corruptor (by a bit) due to synergy with Draknoid Crusker, but even without the synergy the 5/4 body is better then the 4/3 body...I think I've made a mistake here.
    I like Mukla's because it's a luxury pick no matter what else you pick. Corruptor is bad unless you draft at least a few other dragons, which probably means making suboptimal picks, which is never worth it.

Feels like I missed the Mad scientist here... Heartharena say Last Tallstrider by a mile... then again it's pick 11.
    If you already had a couple good secrets you'd pick Mad Scientist, but otherwise, no.

I'd pick Arcane Explosion. It's more likely to do something useful.

Definitely release the kraken.

Heartharena says Flamelance. I would have picked Crusader but I'm flooded with 3 drops
    Squire is the worst pick of the three. Flame Lance is a giant-killer, Crusader almost always generates card or tempo advantage. Squire is basically a 3/2 for 3 or a 1/2 for 1, which is weak sauce.

24. (Sunwalker)/Goblin Blastmage/Coliseum Manger

Heartharena says Blastmage from all the mech I have. I think Sunwalker is the safer choice.
    Four mechs. Eh. I think Sunwalker is safer too.

Heartharena says silent Knight... I'm thinking this is probably my last chance at a 2 drop.
    Novice Engineer isn't a 2-drop, it's a cycle card. I'd actually give preference to Raging Worgen, but Silent Knight is about as good.

Flamewaker is really good. I'd have picked it.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    almost all classes have ways of removing a flood of 3 health minions
    Really? This is news to me, because last I checked, the only classes with a non-combo AOE3 were Warlock and Mage. This must be some definition of 'all classes' with which I'm not yet familiar.

Some decks can do a lot of burst from hand (hello Malygos), but not 50+.
    Doing 50 damage from hand is only a problem for Wallet Warrior, because 30 will do the trick for literally everyone else.

Back when Blizzard was still nerfing cards, they nerfed Miracle Rogue and they nerfed Buzzard + Unleash because they didn't think OTK combos were fun and they didn't think punishing someone for playing minions was fun either. Frothing Berserker violates both.
    If that's true, the Sea Giant and Mind Control tech should also get nerfed, not to mention every sweeper spell in the game. I'd argue the justification behind the Buzzard and Auctioneer nerfs was the near-infinite single-turn draw potential they offered. By that logic, the card to nerf is battle rage, but that seems like a poor choice, given that, again, the card wasn't a problem before BRM.

Honestly, I think Patron is a fun deck that seems mostly balanced (except for heavy control decks), but it has a pretty good matchup percentage against all decks, with no clear weaknesses and can be frustrating to play against.

I've seen a lot of suggestions about what to nerf, with a lot of people targeting different pieces:

Emperor Thaurissan nerfs:

1) Stop him from reducing costs below 1: This already has precedence in cards like Summoning Portal. Would stop some of really big frothing turns by limiting the number of free whirlwind effects.

2) Make Thaurissan proc at the beginning of the turn: Frankly, this would kill the card and make it unplayable. I've rarely seen Thaurissan live past one turn and a 6 mana 5/5 is terrible.

Warsong Commander nerfs:

1) Limit the charge given to minions to 3 or below; if the creature goes above then charge is removed: I don't find this to be that overpowering since I do like the Inner Rage Patron getting charge and there are other cards like Raging Worgen that would be affected.

Frothing Berserker nerfs:

1) I think Trump was the one who suggested Frothing Berserkers get nerfed to 2/3 so that only 2 whirlwind effects can be used: I wonder how much this limits the "out of hand" OTKs with no board.
    2) Berserkers only proc on friendly minions taking damage: I like this nerf quite a bit since it does fix the problem where enemies were scared to play minions because it'd add more damage to the berserkers.

Battle Rage nerfs:

1) Brian Kibler suggested that since Patron is a combo deck, attacking the insane card draw of Battle Rage might be the answer. He suggested that it only draw cards from damaged minions, excluding face damage. That makes it useless as just a plain cycle and lowers the card draw and thus time for the Patron Warrior to draw the requisite combo cards.
    Another notion would be to nerf Patron such that it doesn't summon itself, but another 3/3 card, like Kodorider. You'd probably have to knock the cost down to a 4-drop, but that would limit the insane board spam that Patron can achieve.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In other news, I got a kidnapper in a pack from my last Arena run (went 9/3, my best in quite a while). That's an auto-dust card, right? It sure seems like garbage.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Because outside of a deck constructed around it, it's a bad card. A 3/3 for 5, or a 3/2 and 3/3 for 7 in Mage - both quite bad and very likely to die easily.

You don't take Mad Scientist when you don't have good secrets.

Being brutally honest, your own pick is the laughable one. Ice Barrier is nigh useless in arena, as it does nothing for board control, which is what decides the game in that format. This was between Arcane Explosion and Ironforge Rifelman. Personally, I think I'd lean towards the Rifelman, just due to it being a body with an upside, even if both are weak for the cost, but there's an argument to be made for either.

No matter how many 3 drops you had, Crusader would be a better pick than Lowly Squire. A 1/2 for 1 is poor, and a 2/2 for 3 if you hero power when you play it is hardly better. With your quantity of 3s, though, I would say take the Flamelance instead.

Engineer was almost certainly the worst of the three. I can't be as certain of Silent Knight, since I haven't played arena since TGT dropped, but Raging Worgen is definitely far better than the Engineer, regardless of how many 3s you had.

It's also just plain a more reliable, solid card than Questing Adventurer. So yeah, should've been the pick.

In other news, I got a kidnapper in a pack from my last Arena run (went 9/3, my best in quite a while). That's an auto-dust card, right? It sure seems like garbage.
    Oh yeah, definitely.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2015-09-10 at 02:22 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Comments! comments everywhere!

Spoiler: My Mage Draft!
    Show
    (Mage)/Warrior/Hunter

Because it's bad if your whole deck isn't tailored around it

I would have probably taken Venture Co. It's still pick 7, you can go with the best card

Mukla's Champion is surprisingly good. The Corruptor is really, really good if you have the dragons, though. If you draft more dragons, Corruptor is better for sure. Otherwise Mukla's is better. It's a bet, and you chose the "safer" one. Not a mistake

I'd take Scientist. 19 more picks, you have a good chance of finding a secret sooner or later. And mad scientist with a secret is pretty much broken.

Ice barrier was the worst of the lot. Both others are subpar but better than nothing. Ice barrier is a very, very weak card which doesn't do anything.

The kraken *was* the best card. Did you need the 2s? i didn't check your curve

Flamelance is OK removal, and scarlet crusader is premium 3. Maybe the curve tells you to avoid 3s, but i'd take Flamelance then.

Novice isn't really a 2-drop. Either of the others was a better choice

And Flamewaker is also the best card of the lot

This is also the best deck I've drafted mainly due to dumb luck (two flamestrike, Flame cannon, and a Frost bolt) but it's also strange since I got so many three drops. We'll see if my luck continues.
    Flamecannon and Frostbolt aren't really the game-winning cards in a deck (more like Fireball and Water Elemental), but yeah, there are few "bad" cards there.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

It has been several months since I last accomplished this. Last time was march I think.

Spoiler: The dream is real!
    Show
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just starting poking my head back in to Hearthstone and it's making me really mad, since I keep being punked by cards that didn't exist when I played and couldn't possibly have.

The adventure cards are bad enough, since 750 gold is roughly 2 weeks worth of income for one wing.
    Then I see the Shaman cards and just breath in the power creep.

About the only success I've been having is with my priest suddenly buffing minions to 30/30 (side note: it was heartening though, to note that owls are still the bane of everyone's existence)
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Well, most "power creep OP op" cards are commons, so crafting them is not really a big deal.

Also, apparently Shaman is still bad (despite Tuskarr totemic and Totem Golem)

And frankly, this expansion did not bring much (if any) power creep. Most decks are still viable, with a few optional changes.

new decks have arisen, but they're not really more powerful than the "old" ones
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2015-09-10 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    It has been several months since I last accomplished this. Last time was march I think.

Show
    Wow, that's brutal. If it makes you feel any better, I've done that a couple times too. Sometimes your draft and your mulligan conspire to kill you dead.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I just starting poking my head back in to Hearthstone and it's making me really mad, since I keep being punked by cards that didn't exist when I played and couldn't possibly have.

The adventure cards are bad enough, since 750 gold is roughly 2 weeks worth of income for one wing.

About the only success I've been having is with my priest suddenly buffing minions to 30/30 (side note: it was heartening though, to note that owls are still the bane of everyone's existence)
    As a new player, I totally hear you on the adventure wing cards; aside from maybe Patron (okay, and Secrets Paladin too; these still cost a decent amount of dust though, so you won't be getting em for awhile; they require adventure cards too!), the only way to run a cheap good deck is via aggro, and that all but demands Haunted Creepers if you don't want to be at a disadvantage; unlocking these via F2P for essential cards is kind of excruciating.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Well, most "power creep OP op" cards are commons, so crafting them is not really a big deal.

And frankly, this expansion did not bring much (if any) power creep. Most decks are still viable, with a few optional changes.

The problem being that being behind the meta reduces win rates and thus income potential, reducing the ability to get new cards. And then there's the sort of problem like having a Hunter deck built around beast sacking having the key cards nerfed.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Really? This is news to me, because last I checked, the only classes with a non-combo AOE3 were Warlock and Mage. This must be some definition of 'all classes' with which I'm not yet familiar.
    Why are you limiting excluding combo sweeps? They're pretty common among meta decks and the opponent needs to combo cards to get multiple patrons anyway.

The ones I can think of are:

1) Rogue: Blade Flurry, +2 Spell Power + Fan of Knives (unlikely)
    2) Mage: Flamestrike, Frost Nova + Doomsayer, Spell Power + Blizzard (less likely)
    3) Priest: Lightbomb, Spell Power + Holy Nova (less likely)
    4) Warrior: Brawl
    5) Paladin: Equality + Consecrate
    6) Warlock: Hellfire, Shadowflame + a minion
    7) Shaman: Spell Power + Lightning Storm or Just Pray to RNGesus

Druid and Hunter are the only classes without a way of dealing with a board of 3 hp minions with current meta decks.

Doing 50 damage from hand is only a problem for Wallet Warrior, because 30 will do the trick for literally everyone else.
    True and there are combo decks that can do a lot of damage in a turn. I am amused by the "He was behind massive taunts with 20+ health and still died" posts that populated reddit a lot.

If that's true, the Sea Giant and Mind Control tech should also get nerfed, not to mention every sweeper spell in the game. I'd argue the justification behind the Buzzard and Auctioneer nerfs was the near-infinite single-turn draw potential they offered. By that logic, the card to nerf is battle rage, but that seems like a poor choice, given that, again, the card wasn't a problem before BRM.
    I hate Mind Control Tech with a fire that burns, especially in arena when you can't make an informed guess if you're playing against a deck with it.

Also, Patron allows pretty disgusting turns with battle rage where you create a flood of patrons and then draw to refill your hand; Thaurissan also helps. It makes Battle Rage a little more consistent than it was in Math Warrior.

Did you play before BRM? I can see that being an issue but TGT hasn't introduced much outside of Secret Paladin. Totem Shaman doesn't work well since it loses to Paladin pretty hard, which is very popular now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I've been trying to make a Patron Warrior variant with Axe Flinger and Wild Pyro, and been failing miserably. Either I don't know my business, or creating a wacky deck that is also viable is no small feat. Or both.
    You may want to take a gander at this video. Purple had a similar idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqFf...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Joran; 2015-09-10 at 11:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

So, Tavern Brawl. Everyone's playing Hunters and Shaman. Me? No, sirree, of course not!

I play Poor Man's Mysterious Challenger.

Which basically means Paladin + all the secrets + Mad Scientist + Brewmaster minus Mysterious Challenger of course because I'm a scrub.

So far: four wins in a row, with two of them being concedes after they see 4 secrets on my face. Not a vast data pool, but man, fun times. The brewmasters work perfectly with those Owls as well as any silenced stuff.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

The problem being that being behind the meta reduces win rates and thus income potential, reducing the ability to get new cards. And then there's the sort of problem like having a Hunter deck built around beast sacking having the key cards nerfed.
    I'd suggest taking a look at Trump's basic decks. Very straight forward decks and still fairly strong. He's doing a free to play run right now. Not sure how far he's gotten so far. Someone tried another free to play run a little while back and made it to rank 4 I think in the month they gave themselves (granted probably a ton of time since they were a professional streamer). The key to playing free to play and reaching high ranks is basically getting good at arena. Otherwise your gold income is feebly low.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

i am doing quite well in brawl with Priest
    12-1 so far
    deck has 6 individual silences and 2 mass silence
    all the sticky mechs of course
    and multiple ways to use his cards against him

only loss was to a shaman beyond gawd draw
    turn 3 he coins out a piloted shredder with no silence in my hand
    turn 4 he attacks..ancestrals it(deathrattle:respawn this minion when it dies) and then reincarnates it..now i am looking at 2 spawns from it(dont remember what..not like it mattered) and 3 more shredders.............
    yeah...game over

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post

Druid and Hunter are the only classes without a way of dealing with a board of 3 hp minions with current meta decks.
    hunter only..druid has "destroy all minions and replace em with treants" and/or spellpower + starfall
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2015-09-10 at 12:40 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground

Priest is really nice in this brawl. Stealing deathrattles with Shadow Madness was always one of my favourite things in Priest, now it's twice as fun!

The funniest moment in the brawl so far was when my Shredder dropped two explosive sheep. That's basically Twisting Nether in this format

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I'd suggest taking a look at Trump's basic decks. Very straight forward decks and still fairly strong. He's doing a free to play run right now. Not sure how far he's gotten so far. Someone tried another free to play run a little while back and made it to rank 4 I think in the month they gave themselves (granted probably a ton of time since they were a professional streamer). The key to playing free to play and reaching high ranks is basically getting good at arena. Otherwise your gold income is feebly low.
    Also, you don't need to rank high to start chipping away at that card deficit, you just need to earn enough gold to get into the Arena and do moderately well in Arena. Once you're in Arena, the quality of your collection and the amount you've spent on cards doesn't matter.

Now I've gone on record saying that I think free to play games are inherently bad, since they effectively trade drudgery for fun to drive you towards paying the publisher. In the case of Hearthstone, the drudgery part is the frequent curbstompings free-tier players will experience at the hands of better-equipped players while they build their collection. But compared to some of the F2P garbage shenanigans I've seen in the marketplace, it's pretty innocuous.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post

Show
    Ouch, your deck doesn't even look that bad. Bad luck runs rampant, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post

For what it's worth, I think that full on adventures are a good way to actually spend money to support the game. Buying cards pack after card pack in the hopes of chasing after some elusive legendary is a big money sink, but the expansions come out very rarely (there are all of 2 so far) and for $20 you get a fun experience, some strong new cards, and a bit of humor. Considering the time I've put in and enjoyed so far, I'm glad to give the game some support through that channel without breaking bank elsewhere.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    For what it's worth, I think that full on adventures are a good way to actually spend money to support the game. Buying cards pack after card pack in the hopes of chasing after some elusive legendary is a big money sink, but the expansions come out very rarely (there are all of 2 so far) and for $20 you get a fun experience, some strong new cards, and a bit of humor. Considering the time I've put in and enjoyed so far, I'm glad to give the game some support through that channel without breaking bank elsewhere.
    I definitely agree with this. The adventures are fun in and of themselves. It's also not gambling on packs, you get fixed cards. They're also more efficient when comparing real money to gold value than packs are. Buying the adventures with real money and then packs with gold, will net you more packs than doing the opposite (assuming the same amount of gold and real money spent in both cases).

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think Blizzard are going to have to do something about how hard it is for new players to catch up, sooner or later. It's still not toooo bad, but once another expansion comes out, that's more than 10,000 gold on wings. Now obviously you *can* build a collection for free, and obviously you *can* do well with a basic deck. But people point to stuff like Trump hitting Legend with a F2P deck, forgetting that most players, and certainly most new players, aren't going to be as good or well informed about how to play the game as Trump is.

I don't think Hearthstone is pay to win. You can't buy specific cards (outside adventures, which everyone gets at the same time and opportunity and cost). If you could - pay £3, get Ragnaros, or whatever, it would be pay to win, utterly unfair, and I would most likely stop playing. It's 'pay to avoid grind', which is fine, and obviously Blizzard has to make money; they didn't make Hearthstone out of the kindness of their hearts.

It's all well and good to say people need to learn the game and persist. And certainly new players make horrible decisions all the time, decisions that lose them the game. But even if only half your potential playerbase try a game, lose horribly, and then blame it on their lack of cards and never come back, that's not good. I mean, I don't think those players are *right* to think that, but as the amount of cards they don't have gets larger and larger and larger, it'll be harder to persuade them that you can go pretty far with high skill and basic cards.

Also, it's not even necessarily about winning. I'm a total Johnny - I like making decks with stupid gimmicks and seeing if they work. I don't care if I win a lot, because when I do and it all comes together, that's the fun part. But I still need a big card collection to make the interesting decks I want to.

It's not a physical card game. They don't seem likely to retire any cards, or start new seasons with whole new archetypes. I don't think we're far off the card deficit that new players start with being unsurmountable - beating it will take too much effort for what's supposed to be a fun, silly, throwaway game for most people who play it.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

I considered the F2P Trump deck, but I'm not so sure it can stand up to the current meta/players at the higher ranks, and I believe he effectively admitted that things have gotten significantly more competitive since he fielded it.

That said, you _can_ make a cheap and competitive Patron/Midrange Hunter/Secrets Paladin deck, even if it does require saving up to buy an expac wing or three which absolutely should stand up to the meta, and allow you to achieve a respectable rank. However, what you're saying is fundamentally correct; if things continue as they are they're certainly going to reach the point where a casual player will absolutely get chewed up and spit out by this game. In fact, we might be there presently, or by the next adventure release; quite a few friends of mine who have burnt out on Hearthstone and warned me about the game have said as much.

As for P2W, obviously there is an element of that in that you have an avenue of paying for power, while disenchanting/crafting allows you to translate money into precisely the cards you want. Currently it's not to the point where, as a new player, I feel things are hopeless unless I commit money to the game (I've been quite successful outside of top ten netdecks vs ****ty common/basic decks I'm stuck with for questing), but I'm not going to lie, it is discouraging to get my ass beat by blatantly superior cards with a particularly high F2P barrier like the adventure sets; something which comes up with reasonable frequency during aggro vs aggro games (Haunted Crawler/Nerubian Egg/Loatheb).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Mech Mage is probably the cheapest competitive deck for F2P since you can eschew adventure cards.

That said, F2P really pushes towards just playing Arena, where neither money nor experience break card parity. (RNG, on the other hand...but hey, you signed up for a card game, it's only natural.)