New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default How to read the players/dmg/monster manual

Ive recently moved internationally. I figure 5th ed is the most likely rule set to find a group to play a game of my liking. I find pathfinder and 3.5 groups have huge variance in them so finding one that matches you is hard work. With this in mind I come to GinPG boards with an interested question having recently read the free material I realized that the rules as written is not how most experienced D&D players read them. However for a new player it is even worse (chances are Im going to be forming a group with newer players). So I set about a little project of reading the material in a sensible order where you learn about how to build a character after you understand what kind of character you want to build. I do not have the core rule books yet but I am planning to get them soon. Before I get them and sit down and read them I am curious about how you the great community either read or would advise a new or experienced player to read the book the first time.

This is the kind of thing I set out for the basic rules. It turned into a bit of an essay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Reading the basic rules of 5th edition.
    The rule book is set out as a reference book which means there are a lot of rules collated in a sensible order for reference. This however means there are a lot of rules you probably don’t need to know about between where you are reading and what you wish to be reading. So I thought it would be a good idea to offer some advice to people about how to go about reading the basic players hand book for the first time. Keep in mind many people who have played past additions will likely already follow this advice naturally or skip things that do not change between editions such has flavour text . Flavour text is the information that describes something without telling you how things work. Think of it as the sauce on a meal, it is what changes the game from a bland number game into an amazing experience.
    Without any more delay let us start with the order of reading.
    Part 0 or introduction:
    The introduction is a very good place to start it gives you an understanding of what D&D is about. Many players of past D&D editions will skip this however I still think it is worth reviewing for experienced gamers as a reminder of the scope of this edition to make sure everyone is playing the same game. Each of the subheadings hold some significant topics you may wish to discuss with any given DM before you start a campaign, which things they enjoy focusing on or not focusing on can change a game dramatically. Also in this conversation is where many “house rules” can be discussed.
    Part 1: The flavor text at the beginning of this chapter lets you start thinking about building a character. Read beyond first level. Then to build a character you need to have an understanding of the rest of the book. Skip to Chapter 2 Races

Chapter 2 races:
    The first page has an overview of what your race choice will impact. Although you might not understand what each heading means at this point it will let you be able to compare a little of the knowledge below. Then continue reading into the different race selections. Read each race Dwarf, Elf, Halfling and Human until you reach the name section. If you wish to learn more of the races read the sub race section if you feel you already have enough in your head for now save it for later. Likely when you have picked the race you wish to play.

Class
    Read each of the classes stopping at creating a X heading. Then any classes that strike your particular fancy read the creating a X heading. Stop at the class features.

Chapter 4 Personality and background:
    Depending on the type of game you are playing the important of the information here will vary. This gives depth to your character and enables you to understand how they experience the world. This is the key to roll playing rather than rolling dice and playing. Read and note the subheadings, any you do not instantly understand read the text below. Reading the Alignment section of each rule set is important it has gone though some changes in the past. The alignment section is open to a lot of interpretation so this is another important part to discuss with your DM. If you do not understand it the DM can likely direct you to the most fitting alignment from your other conversations about the character you are looking to build. Another point to discuss with your DM is if they are playing absolute alignments or sliding scale alignments. The first means that your actions should reflect your alignment. As in someone who thinks like this would do that. The second means your alignment reflects your actions. As in someone who does this would think like that. This can have a minor or significant impact on your game depending on many factors it is a good idea to have a grasp of how much your DM cares or is focused on alignment.
    Personality Characteristics section read all. Backgrounds section read the flavor text of each background type acolyte, criminal, folk hero, noble, sage and solider. Stop at proficiency.

Skip to Part 2: Playing the Game:
    Read down to the heading of chapter 8 adventuring.
    At this point you should have enough information to create a character. Head to the end of the book and get a character sheet. It is a good idea to get a copy of this the internet should have something you can download (make sure you get fifth edition they may vary on the one in the book) or you can photocopy it. Head back to part 1: Follow the step by step process. Completing the reading of the section of choice as you select them. Following the example read dwarf at step 1, Fighter at step 2 etc. You will want to know the ins and outs of things as you go so you will likely read back to these things. As you need to know each part. If you are having trouble making choices you can either read more sections of each one or remember the thoughts from the personality and background section and try to match it with the flavor text of the races and classes.

Now you have a character head over to Equipment section. Read part of the start of the equipment section that relates to your class based on proficiency you got from your class and or race selection. In this section focus on the tables as lists using the texted to explain anything you do not know what they are. Weapons and armor are the first sections because for many characters this is the most important items they can buy for adventuring. There are many different items later in the chapter but you may wish to skip over these until you understand the game better. You will find rereading this whole section later worth your time.
    Now it is time to head to the combat chapter. Read everything in this chapter some of the things may not apply to you now but they might later. Also it can be helpful to know what might happen to you.
    You should read the spell section next. If you did not pick a spell casting class you can gloss over this section casting a spell is a part of combat and it is important to know how this works when you are in combat with a spell caster even if you can not cast spells.
    Chapter 11 Spells. If you cast spells you will need to read the section of this book relating to your class. Read the section related to class cleric or wizard. Read the spells in the levels you can cast. It is also a good idea to read at least one spell level higher than you can cast so you can plan a head.

As a non spell caster reading spells can be handy to learn about any magic’s that could aid you but it is not required.

Now it is time to read chapter 8 adventuring many of the things in this chapter are the focus of the DM of your gaming group however it is good to have a general understanding of how they work.

So any great advise for ordering your reading rather than reading a reference book start to finish. Over my D&D career I often find myself as a DM in groups when DMs wish to play a PC so any advice on that reading would be good too. I personally have D&D experience from original basic but I figure it is best to read every new Ed as a new player so you bring less bias from the last.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How to read the players/dmg/monster manual

I would advise you to take a step back and let people do things their own way. Different people process information in different ways. As an example, I enjoy reading rules books cover-to-cover, and will re-read them until I have memorised where everything is. Other people hate reading and learn better when things are explained verbally or via a practical demonstration.

For a bare-bones introduction for new players (assuming some familiarity with gaming conventions, maybe from video games), I would say the most important parts to read are the first page of the introduction and chapters 7 and 9. You may want to verbally emphasise the lines "1. The DM describes the environment... 2. The players describe what they want to do... 3. The DM narrates the results of the adventurers’ actions."

For absolute newbies, ask them what sort of person they want to play, then create a character for them. For people who know roughly what they're doing, give them a quick verbal overview of the classes (bards are travelling jacks-of-all-trades who create magical effects using music, etc.), then advise them to read the whole section for whichever classes appeal to them. For people who play MMORPGs, it might be useful to describe typical party roles as well (barbarian = tank, etc.).
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-09-05 at 08:07 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig