New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Though at some point there has to be Profit for Ardon in it otherwise he wouldn't have waited for them to appear.

Seriously though why let him be the leader, even if you are a pointlessly loyal paladin the party still should have just chosen another leader (not that any of them would be good at it). They can't trust him to have goals they agree with just makes him a really poor choice even if he is their best strategist.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    No one who has ever followed one of Ardon's plans has been better for it except Ardon. His teammates tend to ignore him because allowing Ardon to succeed at whatever (usually poorly conceived) goal he has that day isn't their singular, unequivocal overriding purpose in life. Much as he tells them it is.

Edit: his party is brainless enough not to have killed him yet though, so I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them
    That's just objectively false. Despite being a selfish little monster, Ardon's plans are ultimately responsible for every bit of success they've ever had. Partially because they're all incompetent, and partially because he's the only character in the entire story that actually does anything proactive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Though at some point there has to be Profit for Ardon in it otherwise he wouldn't have waited for them to appear.

Seriously though why let him be the leader, even if you are a pointlessly loyal paladin the party still should have just chosen another leader (not that any of them would be good at it). They can't trust him to have goals they agree with just makes him a really poor choice even if he is their best strategist.
    Partly because none of them want to be a leader. Mostly because his plans do have a solid history of actually benefiting the party. At least, they did until Odie tried to murder him in cold blood, and then the rest of the party made the decision to leave him to die when his brother showed up. He was actually slowly becoming a better person before that point.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    That's just objectively false. Despite being a selfish little monster, Ardon's plans are ultimately responsible for every bit of success they've ever had. Partially because they're all incompetent, and partially because he's the only character in the entire story that actually does anything proactive at all.
    Other people helping them out has been responsible for every bit of success they've had. Whether it be minions, mystery ranger, Ellie's parents, or what have you the group, Ardon included has been hard carried through every single encounter they succeed at. Ardon alienating literally everyone and frequently backstabbing said people has done more to hinder them than help.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    Other people helping them out has been responsible for every bit of success they've had. Whether it be minions, mystery ranger, Ellie's parents, or what have you the group, Ardon included has been hard carried through every single encounter they succeed at. Ardon alienating literally everyone and frequently backstabbing said people has done more to hinder them than help.
    I'm not sure if you're letting your distaste of Ardon color your view, or if you actually did read some sort of alternate version of the comic. Ardon is responsible for beating the original dungeon (twice), the Nightmare spirit, Dire, and his brother. Other characters were present, but Ardon's plans were ultimately what carried them to victory every single time. Yes, he does require help from others sometimes, but that doesn't invalidate his contributions.

In fact, the only arcs where Ardon wasn't primarily responsible for their victories are the joke arcs. The livestock, the squirrels, or the clowns.

Edit: I guess the Sons did kill Dire in the latest meeting, so Ardon's only responsible for the vast majority of their victories, not all.

For today's comic: Maybe this will finally be the push El needs to stop enabling Ardon? I doubt it, but surely she has to wise up eventually.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-05-11 at 12:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The thing is Ardon's original plan was never going to be about preventing damage to the city and its citizens. In fact there is a chance that it would somehow require such damage. This is the sort of thing Ell and Peanut want to prevent, but Ardon is 100% okay with.

Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Ardon planed to sacrifice the city to destroy the Army.

As far as what Ardon gets out of it, I could see him doing this just to kill Fortyfive since he most likely considers him a lose end.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-05-11 at 01:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876

Ell, what you should do is heal Peanut and run from Ardon. The creep has hold you hostage enough...

Except that it will not help the entire city, which Ardon also holds hostage now (whether or not his "plan" will prevent mayhem, we don't know).
    So, revised advice: Ell, what you should do is heal Peanut and work with Ardon, starting with him telling you the plan. Because, really, Ardon can't solve this crisis as a single-man-party. He HAS to heal them if he wants to win.

Of course, Ell is a SHY paladin. She will hope desperately that Ardon is actually a good guy, she will not confront him on his motives and his plan (which he doesn't have anyway, ofc). So she will swear an oath as a paladin by her paladin sword to obey him and do what he says (like... raiding the mayors palace for gear, putting the torch to a quarter of the city for minimal losses, murder the town's finest who obstruct her doing "good"?).

Sure, it could go differently, with Ardon actually having a good plan, but I don't believe that Ardon's Army will be publicly hailed as the "Heroes of South Crossing" once this is over. Maybe Ell will become a blackguard; it would be character development.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Banned

This comic really has gotten quite dark. I keep expecting things to take a lighter turn again at some point, but it just never happens.

Can you even redeem 45 from this? He's worse than Ardon now in my book.

Spoiler: Future predictions that I hope are wrong.
    Show
    This is really starting to look like a tragic story where Ardon inevitably kills his entire party one at a time while slowly dragging El along with him until she finally snaps and he kills her too. I really hope we're not headed that way. I don't mind a darker tone, but the grimdark has been a bit extreme lately.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    This comic really has gotten quite dark. I keep expecting things to take a lighter turn again at some point, but it just never happens.

Can you even redeem 45 from this? He's worse than Ardon now in my book.

Spoiler: Future predictions that I hope are wrong.
    Show
    This is really starting to look like a tragic story where Ardon inevitably kills his entire party one at a time while slowly dragging El along with him until she finally snaps and he kills her too. I really hope we're not headed that way. I don't mind a darker tone, but the grimdark has been a bit extreme lately.
    Can you forgive a character for things done while under mind-control? 45 was deconstructed, rebuilt, and reprogrammed by the assembly plant's central system. I don't believe he's really acting under his own free will at this point (and arguably wasn't before - he just had a fairly open-ended task previously, which left a lot of leeway in how to achieve it.)

9. - Top - End - #879
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Can you forgive a character for things done while under mind-control? 45 was deconstructed, rebuilt, and reprogrammed by the assembly plant's central system. I don't believe he's really acting under his own free will at this point (and arguably wasn't before - he just had a fairly open-ended task previously, which left a lot of leeway in how to achieve it.)
    But... If 45 was never doing anything on his own free will, than it does not really matter in the first place. he never was a friend. This is who 45 is, but Focused. And I think it's who he always was.

10. - Top - End - #880

At least I remember no indication that he has a problem with his role.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Banned

Chandea (or whatever her name is) has been surprisingly competent lately.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, someone has to be competent, the main team most certainly isn't right now.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Well, someone has to be competent, the main team most certainly isn't right now.
    They often are, but Ardon, despite helping them quite a bit with his planning, is too much of a wild card for any of them to rely on. This combined with Ardon not distributing information properly so that they even know whats happening, results in Ardon saving the party when he gets them over their heads. Which he uses as leverage in the future, to manipulate the party even more.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Starting to think that by the end, that no characters will be left.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    Starting to think that by the end, that no characters will be left.
    Nah, Ardon will still be around and thriving.
    Somehow that makes it worse.

Besides, there's no skull. Chandrea will be fine.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2018-05-30 at 12:54 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes me think she has a lot of HP for a Ranger and and Elf, but really, if she's been soloing quests, she's probably just a really high level.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Banned

Anyone want to translate all that binary? I'm obviously too lazy to do it.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Two updates ago, panel 2 "ACQUIRING TARGET", panel 5 "TARGET LOCKED".

Current, panel 1 "VITAL SIGNS DETECTED" in the top block, then "ACQUIRING TARGET".
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-05-31 at 08:17 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #889
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Two updates ago, panel 2 "ACQUIRING TARGET", panel 5 "TARGET LOCKED".

Current, panel 1 "VITAL SIGNS DETECTED" in the top block, then "ACQUIRING TARGET".
    See? This is the type of in depth characterization I was worried about missing out on. Thanks for translating it.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So its head counted as a seperate creature?

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    So its head counted as a seperate creature?
    Or maybe just subverting the trope that humanoid robots have all their brain like functions in their head. There really is no reason for it to be there.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm betting each limb counts as a separate creature, which is also why it gets so many attacks per round.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #893
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Looks like Head, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, and Legs are each a separate creature. Head is destroyed, leaving the other 4 intact.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Or maybe just subverting the trope that humanoid robots have all their brain like functions in their head. There really is no reason for it to be there.
    I would agree if it wasn't for the skull ghost we see in that panel.

25. - Top - End - #895

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I'm betting each limb counts as a separate creature, which is also why it gets so many attacks per round.
    Naturally. It explains why the Giant robot got so many attacks: they are multiple robots pretending to be only one.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Voltron confirmed.

27. - Top - End - #897

Well, I didn't expect to see a sniper rifle in this comic, then again I didn't expect to see an atomic bomb or airport security either.

Now let's see what Ardon's plan is...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-06-28 at 12:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Well, I didn't expect to see a sniper rifle in this comic, then again I probably didn't expect to see an atomic bomb or air port security either.

Now let's see what Ardon's plan is...
    Spoiler: Wild speculation
    Show
    Ardon will offer the construct army firearms technology if they leave the local humans alone.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Spoiler: Wild speculation
    Show
    Ardon will offer the construct army firearms technology if they leave the local humans alone.
    I highly doubt that will happen because I highly doubt it would work.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #900

Also how would Ardon profit, he waited for them for a reason.