New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Will Save World for Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Ardon did that after we last saw him (and after the argument. The Nightmare spirit was laughing because it had won the argument). That is presumably why he told Manuel to get over there, he had to set up the bomb carefully and Manuel had shown he was good with devices. While Manuel was doing that, he presumably executed his brother and chopped off the head.
    Ah, I somehow managed to miss this page, where all of that stuff happened. Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Probably not well done though. He gave into the nightmare spirit, murdered his brother (Unless he did some weird things to make a fake head) and killed who knows how many innocent people to slightly delay anyone following and to instill fear into others. To put it another way he literally brought a bomb into that worlds version of an airport for the purpose of making them afraid of him. It couldn't even be argued that he did it solely to delay pursuit because he could just as easily been placed on that side of the portal and didn't need to include the head. Ardon was making a statement by putting his Brother's head into the device, making it into a bomb and sticking it through the portal though. The statement is that he will kill anyone in his way and he doesn't care who he kills to get what he wants. In other words Ardon became a terrorist (on top of the mass murderer he already was).
    I can't really blame him for bombing a group that was actively preparing to come through the portal and murder him. It's certainly not the worst thing he's ever done.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I can't really blame him for bombing a group that was actively preparing to come through the portal and murder him. It's certainly not the worst thing he's ever done.
    It wouldn't be bad if that was a military base (well it would be bad as he was still killing random people but you know what I mean). That however, was a public transport building with tourists in it that are just traveling and are completely unrelated to Ardon's bounty. The area around it might have been heavily guarded but it is not like people couldn't be walking along when the bomb goes off and it is literally right next to a gate where random travelers come and go (for the scale here is the comic.).

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not well done though. He gave into the nightmare spirit, murdered his brother (Unless he did some weird things to make a fake head) and killed who knows how many innocent people to slightly delay anyone following and to instill fear into others. To put it another way he literally brought a bomb into that worlds version of an airport for the purpose of making them afraid of him. It couldn't even be argued that he did it solely to delay pursuit because he could just as easily been placed on that side of the portal and didn't need to include the head. Ardon was making a statement by putting his Brother's head into the device, making it into a bomb and sticking it through the portal though. The statement is that he will kill anyone in his way and he doesn't care who he kills to get what he wants. In other words Ardon became a terrorist (on top of the mass murderer he already was).
    A few things.

to instill fear into others. To put it another way he literally brought a bomb into that worlds version of an airport for the purpose of making them afraid of him.
    1. Exactly, he was making a statement to the feywild. He's saying "This is what happens when people come after me. Leave. Me. Alone." And i for one would like to believe the point came across.

and killed who knows how many innocent people to slightly delay anyone following and to instill fear into others.
    2. Re-read the page again, that specific gate was on lockdown, the only people there were security guards and Torrin's men, all of them armed and willing to go back through the portal to get Ardon. hardly innocent. And since the gate was on lockdown, there would likely be no civillians nearby, not close enough for the bomb to do serious damage to at least.

3. You know that "Fzzt" that happened in the second last panel? My guess is that means the gate's sister gate on the feywild was destroyed, nobody will be using that gate for awhile, not until either a new one is built or the old one is repaired at least. And if that's even possible, it will likely take a long time, or Ardon wouldn't have bothered. He's ensuring exactly what Jeskin was planning didn't happen, you know the whole "Grab as many security guys as you can and get ready to march (back) through with us" thing? Yeah. That can't happen now, even IF those guys are/were alive.

It couldn't even be argued that he did it solely to delay pursuit because he could just as easily been placed on that side of the portal and didn't need to include the head.
    I wouldn't be surprised of Ardon has a plan to destroy the portal on his end as well, to doubly ensure they can't get to him through the same gate. This way both gates are destroyed, possibly permanently, and any immediate threats are eliminated.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

The point may of come across but we all know how well something like Ardon just did would go down with the government. Even if the feywild government are complete ********s like they seem to be, there is no way they can just ignore that.

The gate was barred in the link I posted before but that didn't keep that random npc from being at the gate right next to that one(and there was another person there just a minute ago) or those two from the gate just two down from that one. Just because a gate is locked down doesn't mean the gate about 20 feet away is locked down as well and presumably that wasn't a small blast if he was sure it was going to destroy the gate (and even if it was, there would be shards of metal flying everywhere).

Unless there is some magical reason (There may be) one gate can't be worked on while the other is being worked on/found, blowing up the feywild one still wouldn't be needed as it will almost certainly take longer for them to get someone out to fix that material gate than it would take to repair the feywild gate (If they could be repaired, if they couldn't my point of blowing up the material instead of murdering random people comes up again).

Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

He blew up some oxygen tanks, not a nuke. I doubt any civilians were in the blast.

Not that Ardon would care if they were.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

He blew up some oxygen tanks, not a nuke. I doubt any civilians were in the blast.

Not that Ardon would care if they were.
    If the explosion was big enough to seriously damage the gates with some wiggle room so it doesn't fail then it is probably strong enough to break that container it is in and spread shards of metal everywhere (Otherwise he would be risking the container funneling the blast away from the gate). Unless either Ardon or Manuel are masters at explosives I can't see how he could have reliably made an explosion big enough to nearly guarantee the gates being damaged but no one 20 feet away being hurt from shards of flying metal. Maybe the guards absorbed most of the chunks or the explosion was small enough that the chunks lost energy before hitting any civilians who may have been standing 20 feet away but it doesn't seem likely.

Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Okay but consider; Ardon blows up Feywild gate. This gate was how they connected to the gate Ardon is standing beside. So, since that gate is broken, they are unable to check up on the gate Ardon is standing beside, and must fix the feywild gate.

then Ardon destroys the gate he is standing beside, and the Feywild has no way of knowing this happened unless they send someone through annother gate and have them make the likely quite long trip to and back from the material plane gate. So they sepnd lets say a month repairing the feywild gate and start it up, nothing. It won't work because it's sister gate was also destroyed. Now they need to take even MORE time sneaking gate tech past mortals on the material plane in order to fix the gate Ardon was standing next too. Ardon just won himself a long arse time to skip town and cover his tracks.

That is assuming the gates work anything like how i think they work, which they might not.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

That seems to be assuming the Feywild government sends no one to check up on the other side of the gate before seeing if that side works or not. Imagine you were an extremely rich individual tracking someone who you put a million gold bounty on (presumably higher now that Torrin has been killed, the feygate is destroyed and possibly for revealing secrets to mortals if any of the people that met him survived/were raised) and suddenly they destroy your one means to get bounty hunters to their area quickly. You are willing to pay an extremely high bounty getting them and presumably you have an intelligence that is absolutely ludicrously high (Ardon's intelligence isn't low and Torrin was an int based caster. It suggests who ever had them is extremely intelligent unless it doesn't work this way in their world). You don't just assume he leaves the gate undamaged, you send someone out to make the long trip to the portal and if it isn't needed then cool you just lost a small pittance compared to Ardon's bounty in wasting that person's (and their guard's) time and if it is needed then you saved time on a necessary repair.

Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Banned

Why are you so caught up on the idea that there are civilians standing around, or another gate withing a 20 foot radius? We've seen nothing of the sort, and it's a comic so we would have if that was the author's intent. You're getting all bent out of shape about the murder of a bunch of people we have no reasonable reason to believe exist.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Why are you so caught up on the idea that there are civilians standing around, or another gate withing a 20 foot radius? We've seen nothing of the sort, and it's a comic so we would have if that was the author's intent. You're getting all bent out of shape about the murder of a bunch of people we have no reasonable reason to believe exist.
    I linked earlier showing the gate right next to this one. Here it is again. They seem to be about four Ell body lengths away from one gate to the other so even if she is five feet tall it would be with in 20 ft. Lets say theoretically there is no one there despite Ell randomly seeing two people when she walked by saying that is coincidence. Would he be in the right if there just happened to be no one other than the guards nearby?

Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

4 bodylengths is very generous. It looks like almost double that to me.

Also, this is the guy who murdered his "biggest fan" in cold blood for a pair of pants. Of course he's not in the right. You're right that I don't particularly have a problem with him killing guards who are perfectly willing to kill him and all his friends though.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

It's also plausable that the guards cleared out nearby civilians the moment they saw a locked-down gate opening up. I'd say "because it's probably the team sent to capture a dangerous criminal and they don't want civvies getting hurt", but the guards at the gate are clearly unaware of this spesific mission for one reason or annother.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

To quote Ardon, "I don't want to be one of the 1d4+1 *******s that get I-told-you-so'd into an early grave", seems the area of effect wasn't THAT big to warrant being overly concerned about random civilians.

Also, eladrin can use fey step :P

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm not sure if the explosion hit any innocents, but I doubt doing so was Ardon's goal. Not that he would care for collateral damage.
    But I think his intention was to delay and/or discourage the guys hunting him (and getting rid of his brother's party of course).

Considering they started hunting him because he called himself Lord of Owlbears I can't really blame him for his methods*.
    Okay, there is whatever happened with the Lord of Drakes' daughter
    (sounds ambigous to me, the poster only said he caused her death not that he killed her. It is possible she died because she associated with him. Or he failed to protect her or something like that. Maybe she was his fiance? What Jeskin said during the interrogation makes me think it's something like that)
    and those guys that died because of his distraction when he ran away.
    (That one kinda is his fault. Intentional or not his orders caused the owlbears to kill all those people. But again, he was already hunted because the bigwigs didn't like the title he chose for himself)

*Okay I can, but it is kinda understandable. Besides, he is chaotic evil and from a evil-ish society. He doesn't know better.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Been reading the Will Save World for Masks too and thought that was a good end for it first chapter.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    Again.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess raise dead isn't powerful enough for this. Maybe they have to use one of the better, higher level versions.
    Or the universe hates them and Barry was always a undead skull and can't be resurrected.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I guess raise dead isn't powerful enough for this. Maybe they have to use one of the better, higher level versions.
    Or the universe hates them and Barry was always a undead skull and can't be resurrected.
    This webcomic is largely 4E ruleset-based. Raise Dead is a level 8 ritual, and can only work on relatively recent corpses of living creatures. The same ritual is used on Epic-level PCs, but with more costly reagents. It may be possible to re-create undead using a different ritual, but it's very unlikely a cleric of Pelor would know it, let alone be willing to cast it.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2016-05-12 at 12:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I guess that backstory of his from the vote incentive is a great reason for causing Groffnar to retire from adventuring.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, so today's punchline was great. I don't know why but I'm still chuckling at it now, several minutes after finishing the strip.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

22. - Top - End - #142

...you know, if I had to have picked a non-fey race that would get along with Ardon before this arc, "dwarf" would not have been it. But here we are.

Explains why the shopkeeper is able to handle Ardon so well though.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The contract makes me expect some kind of trickery that results in Ardon not getting paid.
    Especially after the dwarf helped him doing the same to Odivallus.
    Even better if he has to pay the dwarves for giving him the job.

24. - Top - End - #144

Does anybody know what orc this is?
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Does anybody know what orc this is?
    Took me a while to remember, it was "Orcs, the musical"

26. - Top - End - #146

Aaaaah oooooh damn, poor guy.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

27. - Top - End - #147

...I can't tell if the Nightmare Spirit genuinely wants to be Ardon's cohort or if it's just gaining his trust to betray him at a later date. Then again, they're an evil team, it's probably both.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

28. - Top - End - #148

BarbarianGuy

Is that LSN working it in a fanboi red dress out front?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes Odie, you did indeed screw up.

I was seriously wondering for the past few pages "They are gonna tell him she's human before they meet right?"

I expect this lack of foresight from Odivallus, but what the heck was Ell thinking?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Repeat after me: Everyone in the party but Ardon is dumb.