New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Dreamscarred press] Build questions thread

Kind of get the feeling since the build only knows 10 maneuvers and can ready 6 of them at a time, maybe adding in a few Advanced Studies and extra readied maneuvers would help it out. Especially if the Advanced Studies are taken early so that they can be swapped out for some higher level strikes to use to actually fuel the Blade Caster's ability to deliver spells with strikes and strikes with spells.

Any thoughts on what to grab or change out?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaAntares View Post
    Looking back at Steel Coils, it may be superior to Hooded Killer's Stance, in that you deal damage when you initially succeed on your grapple check (and all ones afterward), but I am not sure if it actually counts as the constrict ability.

If it does count, then it's superior in almost every way, since it's 4d6+str/dex. But Hooded Killer's Stance does have its uses, especially if you want to knock someone out quickly.

Though, if your guy manages to get to level 20, he could run both stances (or one and Steel Grappler's Attitude) and be the undisputed world wrestling champion.

Also keep in mind that he can grapple creatures of any size, unlike most other combat maneuvers!
    Steel Grappler's Attitude is pretty baller. I'm thinking the 9th level feat may be used to pick up that stance.

Does anyone know of a way to get flight on a 9th level Steel Commando, that doesn't require rebuilding the entire character to gain access to Silver Crane? Or is that best left to equipment and caster support?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Steel Grappler's Attitude is pretty baller. I'm thinking the 9th level feat may be used to pick up that stance.

Does anyone know of a way to get flight on a 9th level Steel Commando, that doesn't require rebuilding the entire character to gain access to Silver Crane? Or is that best left to equipment and caster support?
    Use the 1st level Unbroken Stride stance from Sleeping Goddess. It'll cost you 1 feat to get through Advanced Study but it gives you flight by 10th level.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I have a rebuild coming soon, my first pathfinder character although I have been gaming for quite some time, currently my thoughts are for a 4 Warder (home brew archetype focusing on twf and firearms) and 2 other levels and I am leaning towards another POW class using practiced Initiator. Another choice is 4 warder and 2 magus( eldrtich archer, hexcrafter moded for white hair) although there are issues with it, for one I am not sure how understanding my DM will be about two custom archetypes since I feel one is pushing it a bit not matter how well written I think it may be, another is the relative lack of power from so few caster levels. We have an artificer so I am confident that I can acquire and buff up my magic items that would but since I have somehow become the default tank as well as backup heals (silver crane) and Dpr I am stressing my choices a bit. Straight up warder would be doable but honestly sounds a bit boring even with my custom archetype. I would prefer to be full bab so I can get improved TWF and cluster shot. I am leery to post my stats because they are mostly very good and folks around here seem to have a masochistic urge to use point buy, but I am old school. Any thoughts?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Now that Path of War Expanded is released I would like to get some help to stat out a Harbringer.

Ok no heavy armor so Medium Mithral is best we can do without multiclassing. This makes me think of much more of a DEX build for the AC and reflex saves especially since they dont get a class bonus for it. Intelligence gives a partial Attack bonus increase and later a decent damage bonus also it affects our saves with our strikes so I kinda feel it should be either 1st or second in priority.

so with a 20 point stat buy
    ST 10 = 0
    DEX 16 = 10
    CON 14 = 5
    Int 15 = 7
    Wis 10 = 0
    Cha 8 = -2

That lets you add a point to Int at 4th lvl without too much hassle. Now for race choices Ratfolk make an interesting choice with a +2 Dex and Int for a -2 in STR but the Small size can hurt damage a bit. Human is still the gold standard for an early Feat and could kick up the Dex to 18.

So I guess the question is do you guys think that the difference in damage dice on the weapon is easier to account for with the boosts from Stances/strikes? Or does it even matter since there is a lot of debuff power to the class independent of damage?

Moving on for Style and maneuver choices, I love the way the Cursed Razor style reads but I am curious if anyone has used it?

So anyone have any play experience with this class to share? I would like some info before I push too deep and have to start over.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

You don't play a Harbi if raw damage is all your interested in. What you really care about is landing your strikes, and the extra accuracy of small size is almost certainly worth losing a point or two of damage, especially since you aren't going to be using full attacks. (Which isn't to say you have to go Ratfolk over human, just that damage dice shouldn't be the deciding factor.)

Many people believe Int should be your top stat on a Harbi, and there's a lot of justification for that. I don't think have a slightly higher attack stat is the world's worst decision though.

Sadly, I've done a lot more theory crafting with the Harbinger than actual play. But Cursed Razor is dope as heck. Lots of good maneuver choices. It also can synergize with lots of feats to help you spread the Cursed condition around and wrack up extra damage. I think more than any other discipline, Cursed Razor really benefits from going all in on, if you want to use it at all. Your Dark Focus, maneuvers, stances, feats, and even your archetype can all be used to push Claiming, Cursing, and Crippling as your shtick.

Cursed Razor Style is also pretty sweet, but do note swift actions are a premium resource for a Harbinger.

Ratfolk, Human, and Tieflings all make for really solid choices.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 2016-03-20 at 02:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that Elemental Flux and Black Seraph have powerful enough debuffs to go pretty well as Harbinger's main disciplines, but CR is pretty strong too and doesn't need a discipline swap to boot. But yeah, a Harbinger's focus should be debuffs and not damage-the other classes are far better choices for that.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Malevolence, Grasp of Darkness, and Aura of Shared Misery look good for damage. On paper at least.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You don't play a Harbi if raw damage is all your interested in. What you really care about is landing your strikes, and the extra accuracy of small size is almost certainly worth losing a point or two of damage, especially since you aren't going to be using full attacks. (Which isn't to say you have to go Ratfolk over human, just that damage dice shouldn't be the deciding factor.)

Many people believe Int should be your top stat on a Harbi, and there's a lot of justification for that. I don't think have a slightly higher attack stat is the world's worst decision though.

Sadly, I've done a lot more theory crafting with the Harbinger than actual play. But Cursed Razor is dope as heck. Lots of good maneuver choices. It also can synergize with lots of feats to help you spread the Cursed condition around and wrack up extra damage. I think more than any other discipline, Cursed Razor really benefits from going all in on, if you want to use it at all. Your Dark Focus, maneuvers, stances, feats, and even your archetype can all be used to push Claiming, Cursing, and Crippling as your shtick.

Cursed Razor Style is also pretty sweet, but do note swift actions are a premium resource for a Harbinger.

Ratfolk, Human, and Tieflings all make for really solid choices.
    Ok so taking a second look at it Ratfolk puts me at 18 dex, and 17 int in a good spot to hit 18 Int which would also be worth another +1 to hit since its half Int mod to my attack rolls.

That would put a lvl 4 harbinger at +11 to hit with Weapon Finesse using strikes before any weapon bonuses like MW or a +1 weapon. Using the Aura of Misfortune stance gives a -2 to their saves and puts the Save DC of a lvl 1 strike at DC16(base of 11 + 4 Int + 1 Dark Focus) with a -2 to their will save. A Cleric with 18 Wisdom would still need to roll at least a 10 to pass at all. Any other Class other than a divine caster will need at least an 14(Wizard with no bonus Wisdom) if not an 18( Low will save and no +Wisdom).

That sound pretty damn creepy and at lvl 6 it goes up by +2 for Discipline focus feat and it could be another -4 to their roll if you use the Bad Karma counter on them.

So there are multiple really good feats for boosting the "Dark Claim" ability without being human they are a bit difficult to choose from. I am really torn between one of Dark Allure/Presence and Grasp of Darkness. I get one feat at lvl 1 and another at lvl 3 which would probably be Weapon Finesse so the budget is tight at this lvl. All 3 choices make great buff/Debuff of the core abilities but at low lvl I am leaning towards Grasp of Darkness to get Multiple claimed targets at once.

Any other opinions?
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

10. - Top - End - #130

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hida Reju View Post
    puts the Save DC of a lvl 1 strike at DC16(base of 11 + 4 Int + 1 Dark Focus)
    +2 for discipline weapon.

11. - Top - End - #131

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    +2 for discipline weapon.
    Dark Focus is also competence, so it overlaps the bonus from Dark Focus.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dark Focus is also competence, so it overlaps the bonus from Dark Focus.
    Dark Focus is definitely insight in my PDF.
    Last edited by squiggit; 2016-03-20 at 03:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Planetar

So I recently came up with the idea for a build after reading Unquiet Grave for a dhampir character focused on it. It's pretty easy to get a dhampir with good racial stats to fit a warlord, mystic, or harbinger, but I settled on a Svetocher Warlord, but I'm still up for suggestions on that.

Now, the default discipline weapons for Unquiet Grave are varied compared to most of the disciplines I am used to: polearms, natural attacks, and axes, with scythes being included. I came up with three paths I could go down:

Polearm build. Upsides: haven't played a polearm build before and I have been meaning to, which makes it a bit more appealing personally. Upsides: Reach is awesome, and control is also awesome. Also, streamlines the build. Downsides: Not too familiar with the style (there are so many polearms, which do I choose?), a bit feat-intensive, somewhat more dependent on stats. Focus on Unquiet Grave, with Piercing Thunder as secondary, and the occasional Golden Lion or Scarlet Throne thrown in there.

Nodachi build. Upsides: as a weapon, the nodachi counts as both a polearm and a heavy blade, so it's extremely versatile, and is a pretty good 2-handed weapon either way. I'm familiar with the build and it's not very feat-intensive. Also, doesn't have to use dexterity for as much as the polearm build, which could be good if I don't have a very good stat roll available. Downsides: no reach, and I'm a playing half-vampire using an almost-oversized katana. Focus on Unquiet Grave, with some Scarlet Throne, Piercing Thunder, and Golden Lion thrown in there.

Dual axe build. Just a thought, but using twin battleaxes and Thrashing Dragon (along with Prodigious TWF). Upsides is that it works well for both Thrashing Dragon and Unquiet Grave, and Thrashing Dragon Style augments other disciplines very well; at higher levels you can even TWF with polearms using Piercing Thunder, so that is an option down the line. Downside is I'm not overly interested in a TWF character, and he is very restricted to that style. Focus on Unquiet Grave and Thrashing Dragon.

So, anyone with a little more experience have any thoughts?

14. - Top - End - #134

PirateGuy

no experience with unquiet grave. and i would not recommend the vampire with big katana build. no one will take you seriously :P

you could go hussar warlord, use a scythe and just be the grim rider. nice theme to that one :P
    or push the vampire part more and play the new sanguinist medic for bloodtrading with your pals ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as polearms go, there are two that stand out to me; the Guisarme and the Fauchard. The Guisarme is Martial so no need to spend a feat or spend 1500gp on a cracked white pyramid ioun stone to weild it. That being said, the Fauchard has an incredibly tastey crit range that begs for Improved Critical or Keen.

Polearm builds really depend on what you are doing. If you just want to jab things with a stick it isn't feat intensive, but zone control is. For a typical Zone Control build you need: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Fury's Fall, and Greater Trip to do the basics of your job. So five feats down and a minimum 13 Int.

If you want to Zone Control, I recommend getting access to Eternal Guardian as a discipline. It has several manuevers that allow you to either get into a good position or to keep foes close to you when tripping them isn't easily accomplished.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding the Nodachi, I'll suggest just clearly stating that its dual group and 1d10 18-20/x2 crit range makes it the optimal weapon choice. Better to be seen as a shameless optimizer than an overtly obsessive weaboo.

17. - Top - End - #137

Planetar

That is a thought... and there are two ways to turn the mount into an undead. I'm not too big on it, though; mounts are fine, but I prefer to go either to one extreme (small character mounted on a medium mount) or the other (mammoth rider? MAMMOTH RIDER!). I'm fairly certain I want to go polearm. It's not a fighting style I've played before, and I think I like the feel of it on this character. But as I said, I am new to the style (lockdown?), and very new to Piercing Thunder. I feel I have a good gauge for the merits of Unquiet Grave, but Piercing Thunder I'm gonna need help with.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Lockdown refers to a specific style of melee build. The focus isn't on damage, but instead control. The general principle of it is to threaten as large of an area as possible with your weapon and then trip enemies inside of it. Doing so allows you to more readily control the positioning on the battlefield.

Say you threaten 10ft with a polearm and an enemies moves through this area provoking an attack of opportunity. You substitute a trip attempt for the attack, and if you succeed the enemy is now prone on the ground. His movement has stopped and the rest of his turn is wasted. He even has to spend his next move action to stand up.

Another possibility is that the enemies having seen this, will waste actions trying to go around your area of control. This accomplishes the same goal, by letting you and your allies dictate battlefield placement.

19. - Top - End - #139

Planetar

I know that much. Well, the trip part is a reminder... Piercing Thunder is more aimed at direct damage it seems, and being mobile. The benefits seem to be always being in a position to hit (won't have a great movement rate, but will have a good reach and acrobatics. I'd like some control, but damage I think is a better thing for me to focus on; control seems like a Warder would be better off, and I want to make lots of use of Unquiet Grave.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

That actually reminds me, I should put this here since this is the thread that sparked its creation.

Unquiet Grave Guide

For your build, I like the Nodachi. Who cares if someone might think you watch anime? It's all about how you're fluffing your character. Besides, Unquiet Grave and Scarlet Throne are two of my favorite disciplines. Throw in Mithril Current (possibly Bushi) for some more shenanigans.

Also, is there a popular half-vampire anime swordsman that I'm forgetting? One doesn't quite jump to mind for me...

Polearms are great for reach, but I do agree that that style of play is better on a Warder. Though that doesn't mean it can't be good on a Warlord as well.

If you're not interested in TWF, obviously you should skip the third build. It's also very feat intensive, and is better on a Dex build.
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

21. - Top - End - #141

Planetar

I realized, when I actually looked up what weapon group the scythe is actually in, that it works as well with with the nodachi trick (but not as well). Anyway, I think I'm going to be using polearms and just branch out into zone control in a minor way. Still, it might change.

22. - Top - End - #142

RedSorcererGirl

So, I'm making a Medic with a focus on archery. I'm thinking of taking the Tempest Gale Style line of feats.

I kinda wanna improve Dirty Trick, but the problem is that Combat Expertise is utterly useless for a ranged character, and I'm not sure if I would take Martial Power in its place. Are there any ranged-friendly options to take Combat Expertise's place?

Or should I just ask my GM to have Tempest Gale Style be the prerequisite feat?
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So, I'm making a Medic with a focus on archery. I'm thinking of taking the Tempest Gale Style line of feats.

I kinda wanna improve Dirty Trick, but the problem is that Combat Expertise is utterly useless for a ranged character, and I'm not sure if I would take Martial Power in its place. Are there any ranged-friendly options to take Combat Expertise's place?

Or should I just ask my GM to have Tempest Gale Style be the prerequisite feat?
    Maybe try this feat?

24. - Top - End - #144

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Maybe try this feat?
    Unfortunately it's still useless for an archer, due to the inability to flank with ranged attacks without investing in certain feats.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

I could use some help with a Mage Hunter build I am working on. It is for a low to mid op game a friend is running.

Race: Dwarf Spell Smasher (replaces Hatred/Defensive Training), Craftsman (replaces Greed)

Class: Aurora Soul Mystic 5/Mage Hunter 10/Mystic+5

25BP

Str:7
    Dex: 22 (16base +6 Enhancement)
    Con: 22 (14base +2 Race +6 Enhancement)
    Int: 17 (11base +6 Enhancement)
    Wis: 36 (18base +2 Race +5lvl +5Tome +6 Enhancement)
    Cha: 5 (7base -2 Racial)

Initiative: 18 (6DEX +4 Imp Init +4 Dueling +1 Dusty Rose +1 Luck +2 Runeforged Weapon)

Saves:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fort: 18 (6 Base +6 Con +5 Enhancement +1 Luck)
    Ref: 20 (8 Base +6 Dex +5 Enhancement +1 Luck)
    Will: 29 (10 Base +13 Wis +5 Enhancement +1 Luck)
    +7 Against Spells (+4 Steel Soul, +1 Glory of Old, +2 Insight)

Armor Class:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Full: 49 (10 + 9 Armor +6 Dex +5 Deflection +5 Natural +13 Wis +1 Luck)

Touch: 35

Flatfooted: 42

CMD: 28

Attacks
    Spoiler:
    Show

Unarmed Strike: +34/+29/+24
    Damage: 1d8+20
    Special: +2 To Hit/+2d6 damage against Transmuters, Dimension Anchor 1 round on Hit

Traits:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Glory of Old: You receive a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against spells, spell-like abilities, and poison.

Trapspotter: You gain a +1 trait bonus on Disable Device checks, and that skill is always a class skill for you. In addition, you can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps, like a rogue.

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Acrobatics +11
    Autohypnosis +36
    Craft (Sculpture) +30
    Diplomacy +20
    Disable Device +30
    Heal +18
    Perception +36
    Sense Motive +24
    Spellcraft +26
    Stealth +42

Feats:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1st) Weapon Finesse (Retrain to Skill Focus: Stealth when a Guided AoMF is purchased)
    Mystic 1)IUS
    3rd) Improved Initiative (prereq)
    Mystic 3) GUS
    Lord of the Wheel 3) Lurker in Darkness
    5th) Step Up(prereq)
    MH1) Disruptive
    7th) Hellcat Stealth
    9th) Steel Soul
    11th) Riven Hourglass Style
    MH8) Spellbreaker
    13th) Teleport Tactician
    15th) Riven Hourglass Eternity
    17th) Advanced Study
    19th) Riven Hourglass Eternity

Manuevers Known Breakdown
    Spoiler:
    Show

Lvl1: Clock Watcher, Eldritch Shield, Inner Sense, Disturbing Blow, Leaping Dragon, Flurry Strike.
    Stance: Elemental Nimbus

Lvl2: Spark Strike
    Stance: Sands of Time

Lvl3: Fading Strike

Lvl4: Chronal Aggression, Swap Spark Strike for Energy Spark

Lvl5: Flickering Defense
    Stance: Riven Hourglass Stance

Lvl6: No Change

Lvl7: Equivocate, Swap Leaping Dragon for Fetch's Wrath

Lvl8: Stance: Formless Dance

Lvl9: Gleaming Imprisonment

Lvl10: Swap Flurry Strike for Relativity Burst

Lvl11: Plagiarism

Lvl12: No Change

Lvl13: Mirror Demon Waltz, Swap Disturbing Blow for Temporal Dilation
    Stance: Sandbearer's Swiftness

Lvl14: No Change

Lvl15: Obsidian Negation

Lvl16: Redirecting Flux, Swap Chronal Aggression for Heart of the Time Lord

Lvl17: Break the Hourglass (Advanced Study: Septenial Seal, Lunar Penumbra)

Lvl 18: Beat The Clock, Swap Flickering Defense for Strike of Elemental Destruction

Lvl 19: Banish to the Beyond
    Stance: God of the Hourglass

Lvl 20: Free Swap that is undetermined

Spells Known:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cantrips:
    Detect Magic
    Mage Hand
    Ghost Sound
    Prestidigitation
    Read Magic

Lvl1:
    Blood Money (Page of Spell Knowledge)
    Grease
    Obscuring Mist
    Long Arm
    True Strike
    Silent Image

Lvl2:
    Glitterdust
    Mirror Image
    Shatter
    Web

Lvl3:
    Channel Vigor
    Magic Weapon Greater
    Irradiate
    Wind Wall

Lvl4:
    Caustic Blood
    Invisibility, Greater
    Hail Storm

Lvl5:
    Baelful Polymorph
    Mask Against Divination (Page of Spell Knowledge)
    Teleport
    Wall of Force (Page of Spell Knowledge)

Lvl6:
    Dispel Magic Greater
    True Seeing (Page of Spell Knowledge)

Gear:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Goz Mask + Circlet of Mindsight, Headband of Mental Process +6 Int/Wis, Golembane Scarab + AoMF (Guided, Phase Locking, Rune Forged (Commanding), Cloak of Resistance +5, Carapace of Natural Armor +5, Ring of Freedom of Movement, Ring of Protection +5, Sandals of Quick Reactions, Defiant Deathless Shadowed +5 Elven Chain Shirt, Wicked Wings Demonic Implant, Tome of Understanding +5, Luckstone, Cracked Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone, Amethyst Pyramid Ioun Stone, Wayfinder with Clear Spindle Ioun Stone Resonance, +1 Dueling Umbrite Gauntlet, Pages of Spell Knowledge ( Blood Money, Wall of Force, Mask Against Divination, True Seeing)

821,350GP/880,000GP spent

Defenses:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Weapon Absorbs 3 harmful transmutation effects/day

Invisible to unintelligent Undead

Special Senses do not beat Stealth Automatically

DC35 CL check to detect with Divinations

Reduce Channel Energy damage by 10, 25% to negate Negative Levels

Immune to Mind Control from Evil Sources

Doesn't eat/drink

Can see through Fog/mist/smoke normally

Blindsense 60ft against creatures with an Int score that are not immune to mind affecting

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hi there,

I've got a gestalt Skull & Shackles game I'm trying to build for. Half of my build is planned to be something "skilly", like an Investigator or an Archaeologist Bard. Other half I was figuring on an initiating class. I got a Hawkguard/Investigator statted up fairly easily, but I'd really rather place more emphasis on "Rapier Stabby" than "Bow Shooty".

So I'm trying to decide if I could make a Warlord (a Tiefling, Rakshasa-blooded), possibly with Privateer archetype but I'm not hard-committed to that, that mainly does melee (preferred Scarlet Throne or Steel Serpent with a rapier) but also has just enough ranged ability (Solar Wind, the Oncoming Storm lightning variant) to not be in trouble if he should need to go ranged.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to build that out?

Thanks,
    Ghorrin Redblade

27. - Top - End - #147

Just posting a bit of food for thought for my fellow builders here related to the PoW content.

Celestial armor and Celestial Full plate armor count as one size category lighter then its base type and breaks the normal rule that you need armor proff of the true type of armor that it comes from. You need to be good to make it, not to wear it.

Unarmed strikes in most cases will be superior in damage by far due to the content you will find in PoW. There are some exceptions to this rule, but thanks to armor enchants such as Brawling, the +2 damage bonus from Broken Blade, +2 discipline focus damage, the deadly agility feat (if you go dex) and Broken Blade's and the soon to come out Fools Errand bonus damage, and lastly, thrashing dragons two-weapon fighting bonuses, you can get damage that gets into the 100s by level 10 or earlier.

Scarlet Throne is heavily wisdom focused, but provides a way to make builds that have low BAB not an issue. Thanks to Zenneth strikes, strikes that hit touch ac, or ignore armor bonuses to ac, boosts that give a large +5 to your next attack, and a style feat that is more or less unlimited counters, you can make gish builds, and other builds that where formerly simply not viable.

Dont look at path of war as just a way to boost damage. Where PoW really shines is debuffing. Nearly every discipline has access to some sort of effect - sicken, trip, dirty trick, shaken, blinded, cursed, and even some untyped. While it is often best to be able to kill a target in one round, the harder, boss like monsters you will face with insane HP or AC can be shut down quit easily with these. PoW allows you a way to gain bonuses to many of these CMB checks over the feat normal ones.

It does not matter how powerful of a martial artist you are, you have one glaring weak point. That weak point is the grappled condition. By being grappled, you are unable to use any strike, boost, or counter that does not say otherwise, and you loose the benefit of your stance you are in. Make sure to obtain a way to free yourself from grapples (aka freedom of movement, or other)

Stalkers are one of the most dangerous martial classes of all your options. Between having a rather game breaking dodge bonus to ac, forcing foes to roll twice to hit you, and the ability to do 1d10 deadly strike damage with x4 weapons, you can quickly dispatch any foes that are even remotely a threat. Pair this with their discipline selection and skill set, and you end up with a super rogue who can teleport with ease and (depending on your build) attack with strikes out to 30ft, and force anyone that would even react to you being there to roll a will save or you just will not even be noticed. While I have yet to compare them yet, the only class I can see comparable to danger on the battlefield would be Harbinger.

Warlord's on the other hand are one of the most game breaking of the options. Heavily CHA based, they get to use their CHA for the parties flanking bonus (effectively giving +5 or more bonus to hit to any ally flanking. This is often not even seen until level 20 in most classes), access to golden lion that makes flanking child's play to achieve. They have a gambit system that adds a luck bonus - a bonus that is almost never in conflict - to whatever your gambit may be that you are attempting. This again can cause CMB bonuses to end up in the 20s by level 5-7, allowing you to do insane things, such as tripping dragons (ive seen it happen first hand!) They get an aura that you can change based on the parties needs, but the first two are really the only two that are needed. One covers Fort related saves, the other Will related saves. Keep up your will save aura, and you have your CHA twice to your will save due to class features + your wisdom bonus as well, making controlling your mind not really a worry. While the class is not a true damage dealer, you get all of the above just from class levels, leaving your build 100% up to you. Everything from ranged combat, to two weapon fighting are options, and even their archetypes are no laughing matter.

Warder gets some love from me too thanks to PoW Expanded. I will only note one thing of import. When you recover your moves, you have a wide threat range and can make AoOs with ease. You can force your foes to come to you. AoO's are normally not a major threat...until NOW. Thanks to the Seize the Opportunity feat, you can take the vital strike feat chain, and effectively have mini full attacks sort of on every AoO. Since Warders get Combat Reflex's for free, the only thing you need for these feats is the proper BAB.

Lastly, unless you are feat starved, for effectiveness, there is almost no reason to NOT take a style feat of some sort. They are immensely powerful when used properly, and you can have both a style feat and a stance up at the same time.

I hope this helps some of you with your builds :)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hi there,

So for the Skull & Shackles game mentioned above, I decided to go the other way, lean heavily into archery (with a Privateer Warlord and the Oncoming Storm lightning variant of Solar Wind discipline), and just make melee the option of last resort. I came up with this as a selection of feats. Anyone got any feedback for this proposed order of feat selection?

1: PB Shot, Precise Shot
    3: Rapid Shot
    5: Discipline Focus (Solar Wind)
    6: Solar Wind Style
    7: Deadly Aim
    9: Solar Wind Flare
    10: Quick Draw
    11: Solar Wind Inferno
    13: W. Finesse
    14: Mixed Combat

I know I missed Improved Precise Shot, but I think Solar Wind boosts and such can cover a lot of that ground, no?

Thanks in advance.

Ghorrin Redblade

29. - Top - End - #149

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsondawn View Post
    game breaking dodge bonus to ac
    Sorry, couldn't walk past that. Can you please elaborate how stalker's dodge bonus to ac is game breaking?

30. - Top - End - #150

RedSorcererGirl

The grappled condition does not suppress maneuvers. Only the pinned condition does.

Quote Originally Posted by GhorrinRedblade View Post
    I came up with this as a selection of feats. Anyone got any feedback for this proposed order of feat selection?
    Seems good!