New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's Rebels IC

Eva laughs at everyone's reaction to the Hellknight and somewhere buried deep within her heart she felt a sliver of pity for the man but not enough to hide her obvious amusement. Approaching the dark skinned elf, the halfling takes on a mock tone of pity "Oh my, it would seem that we have hurt the poor man's only feeling, I think we should apologize or maybe give him a hug. Or better yet, do you have a tissue because this man clearly has an issue? We wouldn't want that helmet to rust shut would we?" Snickering at her insults Eva nodded back to the tiefling before returning her focus on the one gloved man.

"Excellent let us go forth post haste, I would dearly hate for our crowd to grow any larger than it already has..."
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #92

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Nobility) (1d20+5)[17]

Aaron's expression grows ashamed as the man addresses his presence. After the halfling and Hellknight have said their peace, the young man steps forward. "I expect no sympathy and ask for no pity, but I had as little choice to be born to my family as this lady had to be born of fiendish blood," he says, gesturing at Cynissa. "My family has rejected me, no solace will be offered by the tyrannies of either church or state, and most will see me only as a noble-born fop. None of that matters, right now. All that matters is stopping the madman who has usurped the seat of government from destroying my home. If you can help, as I have heard you can, then lead on, please."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

"So you are not with any particular organization? That makes sense, if you were they'd probably have caught on the Night of Ashes." Cynissa is beginning to get a clearer picture of what's going on. "I'm impressed. Working all on your own, and the news managed to spread as far north as Korvosa. I wouldn't be surprised if it rang in Pezzack or Corentyn. But wide reach doesn't mean deep reach." Cynissa thinks back to her handbills. No, there is no deep reach there at all. No ties of loyalty or remembrances of shared struggle, only a fleeting memory. "I'd imagine most of the people in Aria Park today came out spontaneously."

Cynissa's studies had prepared her well. Galt's and Andoran's revolutions had followed this pattern. "One of two things usually happens in these situations. If the action is sustained, people formulate a program together, en masse as the Galtans call it. If it's dispersed, most people return to daily life, but a few gather to discuss the situation and lessons to take away. What we're doing looks like the latter. And it can be done in public, in case passersby want to join in.

"But you're not just interested in a discussion circle, are you?" she says shrewdly, giving the stranger an appraising look. "You want a job done, and by politically reliable people? Yes, privacy seems like a good idea." Cynissa gestures at the—she supposed—ex-noble. "Lead on indeed."
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 09:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing sounds of assent not once, but numerous times, the man grins. "Let's be off, then!" Gingerly stepping over the bodies of the unconscious militia, he begins to lead you through the back streets of Jarvis End, in a distinctly north-eastern direction. Drawing up the red hood of his gold-embroidered cloak doesn't make him look less inconspicuous, but it does draw attention to his upper class status. It's a gambit to deter the attentions of guards not looking to offend someone above their station. None of you are stopped, and after a few minutes on foot, you reach your destination.

Not two blocks away from the Kintaro Opera House, the five of you find yourselves in front of a weathered, but comfortable looking storefront with high windows. The sign above the stoop reads 'Crissali's Fine Tomes', and bears the insignia of a reading glass resting atop a small stack of books. "Don't worry." your guide murmurs, "The dottari rarely enter there. Nandy Crissali has built up somewhat of a reputation for banning politics of all sort in her establishment. It's something of a neutral zone among this district's shops, but it's a great place if you're looking for magical lore or some arcane items for sale. If she's in a good mood, she'll let us use one of the back rooms for a while."

Inside is an inviting parlour, complete with a separate cafe area and endless shelves of books. There are a few patrons, but it's largely empty at the moment, likely due to the aftermath of the protest. Behind a large desk near the door sits an attractive, curvaceous woman who looks to be in her late twenties to early thirties. Through a pair of spectacles, she gives you all a hard look before nodding at the man and motioning up towards the back before turning back to her own manuscript. Dropping a small bag of coins on her desk in gratitude, the man begins to head up the stairs and through a small oak door, into a well-furnished room absent any books. The man moves close to the end of a long table and, sitting himself down in one of the chairs, tosses the black leather glove onto the wooden surface. "Well, I guess I won't be needing that any longer." He waits for each of you to get comfortable before beginning. A few of you might notice that, for the first time since you've met him, this man appears deadly serious.

"The truth of the matter is that meeting each of you was no coincidence. I didn't organize the protest, but I helped facilitate it. I was watching each of you from the crowd, and I must say you availed yourselves marvelously. I knew that once the Lord-Mayor appeared, everything would go to Hell, so I got out of there early. I figured I would reach out to each of you again, but fate intervened in my favor, and you found me first. Today, you proved yourselves to be people of uncommon skill, and I am a man of uncommon needs.

My name is Rexus Victocora, and until last week's Night of Ashes, I was one of the city's nobles. My parents' estate burned to the ground that night - I escaped simply because I was studying at the Alabaster Academy during the fire. There were other fires that night, as you know; fires that many believe were started by Barzillai Thrune or his agents in an attempt to crush any spirit of rebellion Kintargo might have left.

Now, more than ever, we need that spirit of rebellion to stay strong, but Thrune's actions have driven into hiding those who would resist. Anyone capable of once rallying the city to a cause, such as Lord-Mayor Jilia Bainilus and my parents, are missing at best. More likely, they're already dead. Simply put, I mean to overthrow this corrupt regime. I cannot do this on my own, but with the aid of talented citizens such as yourselves, I have hope that we can. Will you aid Kintargo? Will you save this city from the devil?"

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nobility) DC 13
    Show
    The man's tale adds up with your knowledge of House Victocora: one of the oldest of the families that makes up the Court of Coin, their interests include practices like fishing, and the more esoteric arts of high literature and poetry. Fervently free-spirited, the Victocora have long espoused Kintargan civic pride. The leader of the house, Baroness Porcia Victocora, had a single son named Rexus, bit the estate recently burned to the ground and the family itself has been scattered. All of the details match up, which would seem to indicate that this is indeed the heir to House Victocora.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Hitori stares at the man incredulously. "My my, I think I've just been insulted! To have such treasonous words spewn in the presence of an armed member of the Order of the Rack! You think yourself above my jurisdiction just because you have money?"

He stands up angrily, reaching to draw his blade. "I am the - huh?" he blinks and grips his sword. "...So that's how it is."

Hitori often entered a state of pure focus by touching his weapon, and he noticed things he had regarded as trivial before. Of the five others in the room, three were women and all were likely armed. Starting a fight here would only cause trouble, and possibly end in his death.

The knight releases the weapon after a moment. "You clearly have not thought this through. This is no city. It is a territory of the Chelish Empire. Do you think Queen Abrogail will turn a blind eye to any sort of organized resistance? Even if you were successful, you would only sign an entire population's death warrant."

He sits back down, crossing his arms. If everyone in this room were a man, he'd happily fight and take down as many of them as possible before dying for his Empress.

6. - Top - End - #96

Eva follows, still somewhat paranoid about travelling along with a Hellknight, thinking he will call for back up and have everyone arrested without any specific cause. Their contact seemed to be fairly well equipped with knowledge and above ground connections which the halfling was appreciative of considering her allies could only help from the shadows and not in the open in a time like this, sure they could go to a hide out but that would endanger others and she sure as hell wasn't going to Hellknight anywhere near the Bellflower network. The book store was pleasant enough, truth be told Eva wasn't much of a reader since she was more focused on her art or on her 'extra curricular' activities which didn't exactly leave her with much spare coin to spend on leisure reading. The proprietor seemed as pleasant as a slap in the face but considering the circumstances Eva was glad they would have a quiet place to speak; however, she did manage to pocket extra lumps of sugar to spite the woman as she made herself a cup of tea.

She was glad the man dropped the act, she greatly preferred getting the business proposition out of the way swiftly so they could move onto agreeing on courses of action. She listened silently as she sipped her tea, allowing the man to say his entire story before commenting, the tea itself was rather flat probably due to age but it was warm and soothing nonetheless.

Placing her tea on the table Eva smiles "First of all, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Rexus, may I simply call you Rex? I am sure you already know our names but for the benefit of the remainder of you I suppose it would be polite to respond with my own, I am Evagria please feel free to refer to me as Eva since that is what my friends call me by and I am sure all of us will be getting very familiar with one another. Now as for the matter at hand, I owe this city a great deal for it is truly the only city in this empire that is a relative safe haven for my kind and I would personally like to keep it as such. Therefore you can count on myself to aid you in your struggle to rid the city of the thrice damned usurper and maybe even do away with a few other outdated traditions.... like the worship of only Asmodeus. Really the city needs more variety and that bloody temple is so brutally ugly!"

Looking to the Hellknight Eva only sighs "That's right sit back down rusty, I would give you 6 seconds before you were good and dead and as for 'this is not a city this is part of an empire' just shut it. Cheliax has been on the decline for ages, now is the time for Kintargo to become its own separate city state and do away with the stupidity of House Thrune that has been a blight for decades."
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2015-09-22 at 02:06 PM.
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #97

NecromancerGuy

Aaron looks bewildered and confused by the long, extended speeches and hostility of his companions. Listening and watching quietly as they speak, he looks around the room slowly, trying to take in the diverse group. After a moment he rubs his eyes and shakes his head as if to try and clear his mind. He shows no reaction to the various statements or actions after Victocora's introduction, but instead waits until everyone else has settled back down.

"I am not the smartest man, nor the most observant, so I admit to being a bit lost here. Lord Victocora," he addresses their host directly. "You seem to know of me, at least - have we met? Your family name is familiar and I know of the recent fire, but cannot recall your face." Aaron takes a deep breath and continues. "I would deeply like to see Kintargo rise again from the pit into which she has fallen, but what makes you trust a Hellknight, of all people, with plans of sedition? Surely you have seen in him something none of us have?"

The young noble's face shows none of the hostility found on the halfling or tiefling women's faces, just deep concern and confusion. "He has all but drawn his weapon on us a moment ago! The threat he presents is real - why should we trust him?"

8. - Top - End - #98

Sighing at the halfling's never ending torrent of criticism (not a single thank you for rescuing her from people assaulting her either, big surprise), Hitori leans back in his chair and then gasps audibly as his weight shifts. "Damn knee...be right back, I need to clean this."

The knight stands up and limps to the restroom. Once he confirms it is empty, he will sit down and slowly remove his leg plate, picking up a towel to mop up the blood before cleaning it with water and bandaging himself.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Once the hellknight leaves the room, Rexus turns to the rest of you, although his gaze is pointed primarily at Aaron.

"You're right. From what I saw, that man upholds law and order in this city above all else. He's the kind of man we want to be opposing, not the kind you invite back to your secret headquarters." Leaning in, you can see the hint of a mischievous smile playing around the edges of his mouth. "And that's why I want him to join. How else are we going to be able to outthink our opponents? Besides, you saw him leave the protest, defying orders. He's likely given up his commission. That, to me, speaks of a man who holds himself to certain standards."

"I'm not asking any of you to trust him. But we should keep him close. If he is a spy for Thrune, that will become clear early on, and we can feed the regime misinformation. And if he isn't... when we retake this society, we'll have a former hellknight on our side. He can offer legitimacy and security to a rebellion such as ours. And, if need be, blackmail is another option available to us. He attended this meeting willingly. Who's to say we can't simply coerce him to our cause?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-09-22 at 07:34 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Lillisandra follows the man and unusual coterie willingly- Jessica knows her way around Kintargo as well as any, she'll be fine. She smiles approvingly at the building to which they are led. "Hidden in plain sight? Nice." She murmurs under her breath as she passes through the door into the musty room. She seats herself across from the Hellknight, unintentionally behind the... naive-looking young man. Only a little surprisingly, she finds herself nodding along with the man's commentary. As she opens her mouth to respond to his question, everyone starts talking at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    "Now as for the matter at hand, I owe this city a great deal for it is truly the only city in this empire that is a relative safe haven for my kind and I would personally like to keep it as such. Therefore you can count on myself to aid you in your struggle to rid the city of the thrice damned usurper and maybe even do away with a few other outdated traditions.... like the worship of only Asmodeus. Really the city needs more variety and that bloody temple is so brutally ugly!"
    Lillisandra's mouth falls further and further agape as the Halfling woman speaks. When she finally pauses for breath, she takes the opportunity to interrupt. "I can't believe what I'm hearing: you have voiced my own thoughts, almost exactly!"

She nods along, agreeing with Aaron's voiced concern. As their contact relates his take on the matter, she nods slowly. "You make good sense, Master Victocora. Indeed, it would be a fairly trivial matter to ensure the lone knight poses no risk to us- should he prove foolish enough to draw his blade and make the threat. I would still hear more of what you suggest- specifics, if possible. I'm certainly interested in making changes, but I'm somewhat less interested in risking my neck- or worse: my mother's neck- on some would-be noble's fool errand. How do you plan on affecting this proposed change?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

Nandy Crissali? The name tickles at the back of Cynissa's memory like a badly folded collar on the nape of one's neck. She is pretty sure she'd heard it before. It feels like a youthful memory, but that doesn't fit with Rexus's description of the woman. While Cynissa had fallen into student politics early and never looked back, Crissali doesn't sound like the kind of person to run with the radical crowd. She'd taken refuge from politics in her profession. Maybe she had become disillusioned at some point? Cynissa resolves to find out.

Crissali's shop is just the kind of place Cynissa would like to spend her time. It is possessed of an extensive collection, a calm atmosphere just shy of austere, and a comfortable reading area. Crissali herself plays the role of unimposing fixture, communicating with expressions alone, but Cynissa can sense her power. If she sells her own arcane items, she must be an accomplished wizard, more accomplished than Cynissa for sure. I suppose that's what happens when you put your studies first.

While the others follow Rexus to the back room, Cynissa dawdles. "Excuse me," she says, "but did you by any chance attend the Villegre Gymnasium1 as a girl? Rexus was telling us about your shop, and your name rang a bell." Cynissa gets no response but an owlish look from Crissali, and steps back awkwardly. "Okay. Well, I can't stay and talk. But maybe after we're done in back? I'm Cynissa, if that helps." She turns tail and flees up the stairs.2

She hangs by the door while Rexus and the others talk, waiting for a suitable opening in the conversation. It gets heated very quickly, however, with the Hellknight seemingly just reining himself in from beating the lot of them senseless, and Eva almost goading him to do it. In fact, the whole conversation rapidly seems to focus on the soldier, with the other nobleman questioning his loyalty and him eventually storming out. He shoves Cynissa aside with great relish to get at the door, but she catches herself on the wall and takes his seat.

"I am truly sorry to hear about your parents, Rexus," she says, finally. Her voice is heavy. She had lost people to counter-revolution, but never so finally. Cynissa worried for Leon in Korvosa and Amalia in Pezzack, but as far as she knew they are still alive. "The reaction demands its blood price. I can only say that it speaks well of your family that Thrune chose them to pay it. It's small comfort, but when he is gone, they will be remembered as martyrs.

"Since we're making introductions, I'm Cynissa and you all know where I stand," she continues, her voice hardening from its consoling tone into a polemical chisel. "But I would like to clarify a few points. First, Rexus, you were right to bring the Hellknight along, and not just for the reasons you said. Already he has made a valuable political contribution. If we are to organize for the revolution, it cannot be limited to Kintargo alone, or even to the whole of Ravounel." Looking pointedly at Eva, Cynissa easily transitions into a brief summary of the argument that had impressed Eliasa Leroung. "The empire is bound, not by mere law, but by trade. Our whole economic life depends on Cheliax buying from and selling to us. If Abrogail is displeased, she could let Kintargo wither on the vine. As such, the revolution here depends upon the revolution in the whole country.3

"That might seem like an impossible task, but it isn't really. Outside Kintargo, Pezzack merely waits for a power to break the blockade, and I've heard of promising developments in Westcrown as well. Human chauvinism makes enemies wherever it goes: among halflings, among tieflings, among strix. They need a banner, and Kintargo can be that. What Kintargo needs is not reformers or assassins, but an organization that is in tune with the thundering masses, and can help sharpen discontent into concerted. conscious action." Confident in her experience and analysis, Cynissa looks from the elf to Rexus. "Does that sound like what you had in mind?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    1 Co-ed private secondary school, smaller, newer and less prestigious than, e.g., Lady Docur's School for Girls. Wholly made up out of my head.
    2 The RP has already moved on, so rather than try to retcon a conversation in, I figured I'd put it off for later.
    3 I'm aware of the scope of the AP. Cynissa's planning for the post-game.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 09:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Hitori sighs and walks out of the restroom, taking a seat again at the table. His armor has been cleaned and his steps, while uncertain, no longer leave a trail.

13. - Top - End - #103

NecromancerGuy

Aaron continues to look uncomfortable, but holds his tongue regarding further concerns. He listens to the others speak without understanding much of what is said, but seems willing to accept Victocora's reasons. After everyone else has spoken he looks expectantly at their host to answer his companion's questions.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

"It does indeed. But better yet, I have a specific place in mind! You see, I've learned of a place to start." Rexus begins rummaging around his things, looking for something.

"My mother, Porcia, was a high-ranking member of a secret society called the Sacred Order of Archivists, a band of Iroran scholars dedicated to the protection and restoration of history. I learned this on the day after the Night of Ashes, whereupon I was approached by a halfling named Laria Longroad, who claimed to be one of my mother's contacts. I didn't believe her claims at first, but then she showed me this." From behind his cloak, he retrieves a small wooden coffer and a note. While he begins to open the former, he invites all of you to read the latter.

Spoiler: The Note
    Show
    My dearest son,

If you are reading this, what I have feared has come to pass and I am dead. For many years, I have belonged to the Sacred Order of Archivists and have worked to free Kintargo from Chelish rule. I have learned much about Kintargo's secret history, and fear the time will soon come when the city needs the return of its Silver Ravens. You have likely not heard of the Ravens - few have. Mentions of them have been strategically redacted by the agents of House Thrune, but during the civil war, the Silver Ravens worked to ensure Kintargo's safety. They were heroes in their day, and I fear that Kintargo needs their kind again. Do not believe the government's claims that Lord-Mayor Bainilius abandoned us! Darker things are afoot, and I fear that all who work against Thrune may find themselves in danger in the days ahead.

The Silver Ravens maintained numerous hideouts within Kintargo's walls during the civil war. I have located one such site: the chambers below a building known today as the Fair Fortune Livery. If you are reading this, I was unable to seek further answers there myself. Gather heroes to your side, my son, and search below the livery. There, if my research is correct, you will find something to teach you more of the Silver Ravens and their legacy.

Do not let my death be in vain. Stand up for Kintargo. Bring the Silver Ravens back to life!

Once he's made sure that everyone has read it, Rexus wastes no time in speaking again. "I'll be the first to admit my own shortcomings when it comes to adventuring. That bit back there with the militia was just fluke, and I don't think I'm comfortable going down into the Fair Fortune Livery alone. Not to mention..." He pauses, clearly embarrassed. "I can't go for any length of time without my alchemical treatments. They keep me healthy. When people think of 'heroes', I'm afraid I don't come to mind. So I need your help."

"Laria told me she spoke to my mother 7 days ago, just after the late Lord-Mayor Bainilius vanished. At the time, Laria thought that she was overreacting, but after the destruction of my estate, she knew my mother had been telling the truth. She sought me out and delivered the message and coffer, along with her condolences and an offer to stay at her establishment, the Long Roads Coffeehouse."

Opening up the coffer, Rexus reveals a small treasure trove. Located inside are a purse of gold, a Victocora signet ring, a very fine looking silver dagger, and a set of bracers emblazoned with what looks like a stone wall. There is also a mithral key, but Rexus takes that for himself.

"This is all that remains of my inheritance. The key has sentimental value, but I hope you can use the rest of it to help me in uncovering and rebuilding the Silver Ravens."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-09-23 at 06:49 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #105

Hitori's eyes scan the letter silently as he considers everything the man has said. The Silver Ravens...a dangerous group, to be sure, and this man was suggesting they revive the group as its new members? The idea seemed absurd at first, but Hitori remembered the words that brought him to this rally to begin with. "You come highly recommended by Sabinus".

Rexus stated that their gathering was no coincidence, and he had not excluded Hitori from that statement. Though he had stated that his arrival was unexpected, Hitori could not shake this odd feeling that his former commander was tied to the whole event somehow. If he went along with all this nonsense this man was spewing, would it lead him to Sabinus's secret location? Could his actions help restore the Order of the Torrent, and possibly even expel the Order of the Rack from Kintargo?

Liberating the city was a fool's errand, obviously. They should be focusing on making it better. Perhaps civil disobedience would be effective, and the presence of Hitori, as a member of the Order of the Torrent, a group that stood for the people and did its best to help others, would raise morale and inspire those who may be afraid of suppression by force to join their side. The knight thinks back to the night he ransacked that noble's estate looking for books. Words have power...but Hitori was not comfortable denying the people of that power. Perhaps these people had a certain, inalienable right to own their property in the comfort of their own home, even if they may intend to use it for some devious purpose down the line. Hitori was no scholar or philosopher, it was not up to him to decide who or what was right or wrong. He was a warrior, and he had to make a decision.

"...The first thing that would be necessary, for the Silver Ravens to exist in this city, would be the expulsion of the Order of the Rack," he states quietly, after a time. "Information is the Rack's natural enemy, if they catch wind of a group like this in the city, attempting to rile up interest and rebel, they will hunt them down and suppress it. Or they will suppress the people who learn of that information before they are able to spread it. Rumors will be the Ravens' biggest ally, and rumors are easily squashed."

16. - Top - End - #106

Eva skimmed the letter getting the gist of it and was surprised to Ms. Longroad involved in this, she was not a member of the Bellflowers and was adamant about not getting involved which at the time was rather concerning but now made perfect sense. I suppose membership in one secret organization is generally enough to keep you busy... When she arrived about the bit about restoration of the 'Silver Ravens' she couldn't help but chuckle since it would appear she would soon be a member of two unless she gave up one in favor of the other. Liberating halflings from slavery was indeed important but if the city is under lock down then they couldn't continue that line of work until the matters of the city were dealt with first. Sighing she looks up and raises an eyebrow at the mention of 'alchemical treatments'.

"For someone who managed to deal with four men without so much as getting a wrinkle in your shirt, your statement about not being able to be a hero seems rather suspicious. Why can you simply not just stockpile such treatments or find the means to make them yourself while operating as a Raven Agent? Not to mention a former noble as a figurehead for the cause would make a fine addition to any liberation movement since it would show that the nobility actually cares about the city and its people instead of licking the heels of House Thrune like a whipped bitch. I have no qualms about reviving this old faction but the former issues I have just mentioned are rather unsettling and not a very good indication of this newly forged fellowship."

The knight of course had to spatter nonsense, typical of an idiot fed propaganda for most of his life. She silently endured his ramblings before sweetly turning to him "Underestimating the power of a rumor is unwise and something I would most certainly except from a Hellknight who has trouble hearing through their helmet. It takes a great deal of effort and mass genocide to full suppress a thought or an ideal which is what rumors inspire and they spread much faster than a legion of Hellknights can march. The key to running a successful secret society is to keep it secret, something you are obviously not accustomed to which is a good thing on most accounts because if a Hellknight actually started thinking outside of the rather limited scope we would be in quite a lot of trouble. Making an overt move to oust the local authority is effectively suicide at this point which may be your intention at this current moment and if that is the case can you quietly shuffle that tin can of yours someplace private where you can carry it out at your own leisure? Our first objective is establishing a base of operations that can be easily fortified and abandoned at a whim, mobility is the key to success, after that we must begin bolstering our ranks before we even attempt to conduct missions. Speaking of missions they will have to be subtle jabs that undermine the power of our oppressors potent enough to make a difference when added up but discreet enough to be overlooked and with the intention of empowering the people who we ultimately need to win the support of. Now what you will be good for is giving us information regarding patrol times and routes, numbers, deliveries, basically anything that would allow us to cut off some resource from the Hellknights. You are trained to think like one which will prove to be an advantage in some respects but in these initial stages in this case it will do much more harm than good."
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

"Do not sell yourself so short, Rexus. I walk with a cane and—" Cynissa stops herself. She'd been about to reveal that if she can't prepare spells, she grows sickly and weak. But the Silver Ravens don't really need to know that, do they? "And let's just say your treatments do not sound so exotic to me. And yet you call me a hero," Cynissa says skeptically. She is prepared to dispute the whole premise. The masses do not need heroes. Maybe for protection in extreme circumstances, or as symbols, or people to look to for advice (assuming it was sound advice), but definitely not as leaders. Down that road lies Bachuan, where the guiding lights of the movement had, by their iron leadership, stripped the masses of agency and thought, hollowing out the substance of the revolution. "If I am, then so are you.

"I agree with Eva that the focus of our activity should be on the people, not on the regime. We can do nothing without support, and the people need confidence, consciousness of purpose, and a measure of discipline if they are to bestir themselves against Thrune." Cynissa turns to the rambling fiddler. She clearly has some experience organizing, no doubt doing good work. But—even though the workers surrendered the initiative there—Korvosa had overthrown its queen. Pezzack maintains its independence to this day in spite of the blockade. Neither revolution had been carried through by the coup of a secret society. "I think we part ways, however, on the matter of secrecy. Secrecy is best for ensuring our individual, physical safety. But if we want to be effective politically, as an organization, we cannot conceal our ideas or our goals. Every slave offered his freedom, every toiler turned against her boss, must know who helped them, why, and what they can do to further the cause. In this hideout of ours, we must maintain a printer so we can circulate analyses, prescriptions, and calls to action in the name of the Silver Ravens." She looks keenly at Rexus's gold. "I wonder if Porcia left us enough to buy one.1

"But that's for the future. For now, we can go to the Fair Fortune Livery, and see what we shall see."

Show
    1 According to PFSRD, it's actually a hundred gold short. Ideas are expensive.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 09:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Rexus raises his hands in the face of three different approaches to liberating Kintargo. "You're all raising some good points. But my mother left this in the hopes that we would take up the legacy of Silver Ravens past. Why not go and find out for ourselves how they fought against House Thrune a hundred years ago? If nothing else, it might contain the location of a potential base of operations. Can we not table this discussion until later?"

Looking at the drow and the oracle, Rexus adopts a puzzled expression. "I've heard from these three, but what are your thoughts on this? Cynissa is right about legitimacy, and I think a member of House Tanessen will help more with that than even myself." He looks at Lillisandra. "Would I be mistaken in guessing you're a member of Calistria's flock?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #109

NecromancerGuy

Gulping, Aaron says, "What would you advise we do with the signet ring? I have mine, for whatever good it will do, and I assume you have one of your own in addition to this one..."

He then reaches out and carefully inspects the dagger, noting the silver traces forged into the metal. "Why is this dagger silvered? It is lovely and well made, but the softer metal makes it less effective in a fight, and this doesn't look like any of the sacrificial daggers that my family...uses..."

Looking embarrassed and ashamed at his questions, he looks at the rest of the party, clearly feeling out of his league among the more experienced revolutionaries.

20. - Top - End - #110

Hitori listens to the halfling speak. He sighs and crosses his arms, trying to process everything that has been said. "So, you think that secrecy is important, at least until we have enough people on our side to make some large ruckus all of a sudden. And you..." he mutters, chancing a glance at the tiefling before turning his gaze back to the shorter woman, "think that we need to stand out for the people, and give them the courage to stand up for themselves and join our cause."

He looks down at the table. "I'm not sure I can help you, this is a lot to take in. But I do know I can't go back to the Order. They have good points. A lot of them, really. I can understand why they believe as fervently as they do. But walking around this city and watching the Church of Asmodeus destroy its integrity from the inside out, I feel like I've lost sight of what I originally joined the knights to do. I'm no chivalrous warrior. I have never fought to protect anyone. My duties were always about revenge, and that was it. My strength was all that mattered, because if I wasn't strong, then I was dead."

The knight is silent, then looks up at the orphaned lord. "I am Hitori1. And if you want to free this city from Thrune's grasp...well, then I suppose our goals align somewhat inelegantly. I wish to get rid of the corruption in the church, and restore the Order of the Torrent...after I find my commander. I imagine that the two of us could work together and accomplish both. I don't think it would use up too much of your resources to clean up the temple."

1 - A Varisian term meaning 'alone'. He pronounces it as one word so it sounds more like a name (He-TOR-i), where the actual word is pronounced (hi-to-ri).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lillisandra waits patiently as the note is passed around the table away from her, leaving her to read it last. She looks up as the hellknight speaks up, stunned incredulity on her face. The expression fades to confusion and then suspicion before she quickly shakes her head to dispel whatever thought was troubling her and returns her attention to the note.

A few moments later, a brief snort of amusement passes her mouth and nose. She looks up at the motley gathering and raises a pointed, silvery eyebrow. "heroes," she mouths, with unmasked disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    [Rexus] looks at Lillisandra. "Would I be mistaken in guessing you're a member of Calistria's flock?"
    Lillisandra's painted lips turn up at the corners, into a delicious grin. "Why, I cannot imagine what would ever cause you to make such a baseless accusation!" With a knowing look, she licks her lips lightly, and adds, "I might get in quite a lot of trouble, were the authorities half as perceptive as you. As for my thoughts..." After a moment of reflection on the spoken and read words of the last few minutes, she takes a deep breath and begins to speak.

"You suggest extremely dangerous work; your mother goes so far as to make a recommendation for heroes. I look around this table and see an... odd assortment. Unless I miss my guess, you have as many performers and prostitutes at this meeting as you do warriors." She looks at the tiefling with an inquisitive expression, before adding: "possibly more. I feel some inclination to question your judgement, based upon that alone.

Of course, one must have means of protecting oneself, when engaged in my line of work, so I, for one, am both confident and curious enough to at least see what waits for... you? Us? beneath the livery. Finally, if he
    "- she points to Hitori- "Is willing to say aloud that the Order of the Rack has existed beyond its purpose, I have to admit some level of excitement. It's clear to the common people that Thrune needs to go. If it's clear to the uncommon people, well, now we might have a place to start. I will join you, to fulfill your mother's final wish, and discover what the Silver Ravens can do to stir the hearts of Kintargo."

She rises from her chair and extends a hand to Rexus- more to be kissed than shaken. She smiles at him, peering intently into his eyes. "Lillisandra Moordaine, at your service." From her stance, closer to him, she looks the man up and down in an obviously appraising manner, and opens her mouth slightly. "Besides," she begins, falling into her chair. "You're not bad too look at." With a wink, she leans back in the chair- half relaxing, half not- and smiles at the semi-surprised reaction all men bear, when complimented upon their appearance.

22. - Top - End - #112

The halfling sits around patiently letting everyone speak their piece Why do I get the sinking feeling that this is going to be a terribly difficult group to deal with and that remaining inebriated for most of its duration is the most appealing option? This just sounds like a bad joke in the making, 'So a devil scholar, midget fiddler, dark elf whore walk into a bar to see a human nobleman arguing with a pompous ass.... yep sounds about right.

Taking a breath and letting it out slowly, Eva does her best to smile "So it would seem we are all companions, how lovely, I suppose we should get going because the longer we wait the more time we give the Mad Mayor to think of some other half cocked proclamation." Sighing at the last part the halfling finishes her tea before standing up, ready to get going.
    Blarg...

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Judging by the expression on Rexus Victocora's face after hearing Lillisandra's last comment, you'd think he had eaten a bad batch of Vyre mushrooms. It's somewhere between being flattered and being embarrassed, and he maintains eye contact with the curvy drow for only a moment before lowering his gaze and addressing Aaron's question. "That silver ring belongs to House Victocora, but that doesn't really exist any more, I'm afraid. Better if you sold it and used the profits - it's not exactly safe to wear in public any more, and besides monetary value I don't really see the purpose in a useless piece of metal." He purses his lips for a moment, staring at the ring before hardening his gaze.

"Eva is right: there's no time to waste here. After the riot, the dottari will be on the lookout for anybody matching the descriptions of the protesters. I'm sorry to say, but you made your faces known to the authorities, and we're a little too close to the sight for my liking. The Fair Fortune Livery is located in Redroof, but if we hurry, we can explore it and get back across the Bleakbridge to the Long Roads Coffeehouse before dusk." Gathering himself up, the ex-nobleman takes a moment to get one last good reckoning of each of you on the way out of the back room. You may have shaken his confidence that he selected the right people for the job, but he seems content to carry on.

Near the main bookshop door, Cynissa finds herself pulled aside by Crissali herself, who is somewhat of a good mood. "I thought I recognized you! I'm actually a graduate of the Alabaster Academy, but I took a class at Villegre a million years ago." Smiling, she puts a piece of paper in the tiefling's hand. "I've written my home address there. I make it a rule not to fraternize with my clients here, so if you're looking to talk, that's where you should look for me." The shopkeeper then nods at Rexus with slightly more approval than she did when your group was entering the premises. From his own smile, you can see already some of his faith has been rewarded.

It takes some time - you're not exactly sure how long, a bit longer than half an hour perhaps - but eventually, the six of you arrive unmolested at the street across from the Fair Fortune Livery. The aged stable leans slightly to one side, its roof precariously propped up by aged wooden walls. It seems to sag down in between the two buildings on either side of it. Neither of those establishments could be considered 'thriving' by any sense of the word, the Redroof district being what it is these days. But they still do seem a far sight less abandoned than the Livery itself. A pair of large wooden doors hang largely ajar, and if you look, you can see into the half-light of the main stable's thoroughfare itself.

"Well... it doesn't look like much. I can't imagine anybody using this place as their secret headquarters." Turning his nose up at the vague smell emanating from the opening, Rexus waves you forward, as though to indicate that he does not want to be the first one inside.

Show
    Once you guys get inside, I'm going to start asking for checks and the like. I'll also be using Passive Perception to describe things in new areas, to save you the trouble of rolling every time. To paraphrase Nolan!Bane: "Now is not the time for checks! That comes later!"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #114

Eva smirks at Rexus "Isn't that the point of a hide out, to be deceptive in appearance? It's not like we will want to advertise our location to the authorities, besides give us some time and I am sure we can make it more comfortable for you soft nobles." Focusing for a moment she summons four globes of light to surround her before silently unsheathing her blade.

She looks at the others "Can't be too careful, this place has been abandoned and we don't know what kind of vermin have taken up residence in this building. Some rats may be larger than I am for crying out loud, though those type usually sit themselves atop of thrones." She gives a smiles a gives a wink before entering inside the worn down building.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So casting dancing lights and drawing her weapon.... better safe than sorry right?
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #115

The knight walks through the city with the others, careful to maintain his distance from the others, lest passing guards appear suspicious. He chuckles to himself, relieved that his helmet and armor are indistinguishable from another even to another hell knight, though he knows that Commander Starblade could tell them all apart somehow. Still, it wasn't very likely to see the Commander out of the barracks so he walked confidently and with nothing to hide as usual, even stopping a fellow member of the Rack to ask how patrol was going. Complete camouflage.

When they arrive at the Livery, Hitori laughs at the halfling's caution. "I welcome vermin of any size to harm me through this much metal. Stand aside, the front line is no place for a woman."

Not bothering to draw his sword, Hitori strolls boldly up to the entrance and opens the door, walking inside and looking around without attempting to conceal himself.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Cynissa smirks slightly at Lillisandra's glance and comment. She could have meant any number of things, all of them amusing. Cynissa is neither a prostitute nor a performer, but she'd rubbed shoulders with a few of both over the years. In Pezzack one of Amalia's chorus girls had been arrested for moonlighting as a prostitute. Cynissa had been with her at the time, discussing security for the upcoming show, so the Dottari hauled her in too. They spent a merry night in the holding cell. The next morning when the dear woman's Sczarni "manager," as she called him, came to bribe her out of jail, she convinced him to get Cynissa out too. She survived Second Ashes, but Cynissa had lost touch with her when she fled the town. Maybe it is time to fix that.

It certainly looks like an auspicious time to renew old acquaintanceships. Nandy's turnaround surprises Cynissa, but that just makes it all the more welcome. "Alabaster, huh? You must have stories … I'll be sure to stop by and hear them all," she says, tucking the address safely into the front cover of her spellbook. "I'd give you my address, but I just got back into town and I don't think the flophouse where I'm staying allows guests." She shrugs, giving a little wave. "Don't worry, I'll have found a place when I come to visit. Ta!"

As it happens, the road to the Fair Fortune passes near Cynissa's flophouse, on the edge of the Devil's Nursery. Not for the first time, she feels a pang of guilt at the sight of the slum. Her parents' house is only a little way away, on the western edge of the district, where the buildings are older, less densely-packed, and more solidly built. Here she is making promises—to herself and others—to keep in touch, and she'd been too busy, and if she was honest, a little bit ashamed, to reconnect with them. That will have to change.

Cynissa's guilt propels her forward, toward the mission Rexus had set them. To her surprise, she doesn't actually slow the group down much. Hitori, Lillisandra, and Aaron are all weighed down by their armor, and Eva seems delighted to jape around them. Only Rexus is impatient, but that makes sense. Of all of them, he has the best idea what they might find in the Fair Fortune. He is certainly the most prepared for the sight of the rotting wreck of a building, though Eva and Hitori recover quickly.

"Well, Eva," she says, chuckling at the halfling's joke and pointedly ignoring Hitori's instructions not to approach the building. She raps on the wall with her cane. The damp, mildewy clapboard panel creaks, caves, and finally breaks. Fat, white termite grubs wriggle from the splintered ends and fall to the floor. "It probably wasn't on the verge of collapse back in the day. But a thriving business is its own form of camouflage. The rats ignore you if you're respectable." Cynissa practically spits the word.

Bearing in mind that they're here for information, as soon as the door is open Cynissa performs a simple divination. It isn't terribly likely that the old Ravens had left anything magical in plain sight, but if they did she wants to be sure.

Show
    Cast detect magic.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-09-25 at 09:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

NecromancerGuy

Aaron follows the odd company out of the bookstore and across town. At the abandoned building he listens as the others argue and then watches with surprise as the Hellknight brashly enters the building. Drawing his favored longsword and readying his shield, Aaron cautiously ushers the others in behind Hitori and covers the rear.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Inside the Livery, the air reeks of stale urine, and worse. Broken desks, scuffed tables, and torn chairs crowd the thirteen horse stalls, all of which are covered with a healthy layer of dust. A grated-off alcove along the southeast wall seems to house the only relatively intact wares. But that's not the first thing to capture your attention.

Near the center of the stable, three dogs lie dead. At least, they're probably dogs; what's left of their remains makes it somewhat unclear where one corpse ends and another begins. They seem to have been torn apart, and their remains piled up together intentionally after death. Whatever did this had some strength. Swarms of flies and maggots cover the fleshy detritus, which would also suggest that they have been here for a while, but not an exceptionally long time. More than a week, but less than a month. Rexus curls his lip at the sight of it, clearly not pleased to be anywhere near the scene. In fact, the nobleman retches and nearly curls over into a ball, the contents of his stomach almost evacuated right then and there. It takes him a few moments to comport himself. "I... I'm sorry. Not used to this kind of thing just yet." Leaning on one of the banisters for support, he shakes his head vigorously as though to dispel the images in his mind.

Those of you not imminently focused on the carnage might notice something else, above your heads: there is a silvered gleam on one of the fifteen foot high rafters. Further observation reveals it to be another ring, made of a fine old platinum. But why would somebody nail it to the rafter? More disturbingly, you can hear... things. Not quite music, more like fragments of sound. There are strange markings that appear and disappear on the walls, and as you walk further in, there are strange cold and hot air patches in the Livery's atmosphere.

Something is very wrong here.

Show
    You're welcome to search the area for things (that will involve Perception checks). Climbing the rafters to get to the shiny thing is a DC 15 Climb check. This won't be a combat encounter, so I'm not using Roll20 yet, just setting the mood! Here's hoping you guys turn this place into a permanent base.

Results for Cynissa's detect magic on the area:

Round 1 - There are magical auras within the 60 ft radius cone of detection.

Round 2 - There are six separate auras, but the power of the strongest one is Faint.

Round 3 - There are two auras active in the main space (creating the hot and cold air patches), two more on the wall (creating the marks), another making strange noises in the air above you, and two more in the stable whose effects you haven't seen yet. The sources of these auras aren't in your line of sight, but you can still make DC 20 Knowledge (Arcana) checks to recognize the effects.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2015-09-25 at 10:37 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #119

Eva held her tongue at the Knights overt display of sexism, surprised that he was able to demonstrate that the opinion she held of him should be far lower than where she already placed it. Cynissa's jab was able to soothe her temperament somewhat and even she could not resist playing along "I suppose we are destined to be haunted then by all matters of vermin as long as we remain in the presence of a certain individual we can never call ourselves 'respectable'."

The odours emanating from the inside were overbearing but the sad truth is that Eva had smelled worse and furthermore the scents triggered memories of her captivity where she had to endure the scent of other's filth and even the stench of the dying. If she wasn't in such a somber mood she would have chuckled at Rexus' reaction but alas she was too wrapped up in the past to concern herself with the weak stomach of a noble.

The grisly sight of the dogs depressed her even further, she couldn't even imagine the pain these poor creatures were forced to withstand before death finally took them. Silently she prayed for their well being despite them being only mere animals, Sarenrae was not fickle about blessing any creature as long as they had the slightest intelligence. Steeling herself she forced herself to take a closer look at the gory display because whatever caused this may be nearby and if she was able to perceive a trail she could possible prevent an ambush. Realistically most hideouts had more to them than meets the eye so it would make sense that there would be a secret door on the premise that led to a more private level so after inspecting the remains she wandered around looking for the sign of hidden passageways.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So I suppose this requires 2 perception check, one to notice a trail or anything else off about the dead dogs and one for secret doors...

dogs perception (1d20+7)[13]
    doors perception (1d20+7)[19]
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #120

Hitori sighs at the scene before him. He examines the corpses, checking for any sign of demonic ritual. Afterwards he says a silent prayer to desecrate the area and unceremoniously picks the three dogs up and takes them outside, looking for a waste disposal container or area designated for waste disposal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[15]
    Knowledge (Religion): (is this a religious sacrifice?) (1d20+5)[13]
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+5)[7]