Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Edge of Humanity OOC.

Since I'll need this before taking the rest of Alala's response: "Fort Save" - (1d20+17)[20]

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Since I'll need this before taking the rest of Alala's response: [roll0]
    You will make a lovely statue.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

RoC and THEChanger. I am so satisfied I can get a choice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    But, but – This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    GM for Rokugan ItS | Shinomen | OOC
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    more

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Would the Death Ward property on a magic item protect me from that effect?
    I'm also naturally immune to paralysis and poison.
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2016-12-10 at 12:41 AM.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Would the Death Ward property on a magic item protect me from that effect?
    I'm also naturally immune to paralysis and poison.
    You are protected from death, but not the "agony" part of the spell, which has no paralysis or poison or disease descriptor.
    But, but – This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    more

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey there, Everyone

The name is RoC and I'm here to be your substitute DM for the next short while. I've heard a general layout of what has happened and have read through the main IC thread. With that said, I'm scared that I might have overlooked a few small things (probably missed it in THIS thread ).

1. If you guys could help me with a recent timeline, it would be most appreciative. While ~Corvus~ has caught me up on the background and general direction that he is after, getting your impressions of recent events can help maintain continuity of feel. Also, I'll admit that tracking the events from after the party split up has been unusually tricky for me.
    2. While it may seem obvious, I wanted to make sure that "In Search of Humanity" has been a parallel IC thread to "At the Edge of Humanity". Was totally confused when half of the party vanished from one thread until I checked the other.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ahh, Realms of Chaos, we meet again! (Only about 6 years after the last game, mind...)

As far as I can recall, the 'Finding the Parts' thread is currently on the morning of the third 'day' since the party split. Day 1 was the long, long trek through the underdark, ending in the rest just beside the magical wall. Day 2 was when we found Eurykhrys, and ended when we rested with the elves. Day 3 has just started with Eurykhrys deciding that she wants us to die slightly more than she wants us to kill her, and discovering in the process that Alala's charge damage can be avoided by repeatedly dumping her on her arse before she gets a chance to charge you

Can't help you with the other thread's timeline, I haven't been peeking (much).

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

For the other group (which seems to be tragically lacking in presence of either Nyarai or Silver Night), they got teleported to the edge of Elven space and a battle between human wizards (day 1) and spend the next 2 days running around the Craazian steppes. Their guide, Nalla, has just been killed by agents of the Slyth Corp, and are engaged in...talks.
    more

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'm around, just only checking this thread periodically. However, will be more present now that I see it is running again.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I've been checking in too, but I got blindsided by our elf guide being vaporized, and I was like, "Okay, I need to take a step back to parse this and how Jerid would react to it." I never quite figured it out.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    I've been checking in too, but I got blindsided by our elf guide being vaporized, and I was like, "Okay, I need to take a step back to parse this and how Jerid would react to it." I never quite figured it out.
    I do try to keep you on your toes :smallgrin:
    more

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Welcome, RoC. That's a tall order to take over someone else's custom campaign. I salute you.

I can appreciate the desire to reconcile the time lines of the two threads – it's what I would try to do if it were my campaign. That said, I do not think the PCs will notice, nor that the players will mind. (I know I wouldn't.) If/when everyone gets back together, it's more likely to be, "Long time, no see. What were you guys up to? Oh, really? Well, now we're all off to try to save the world."
    Custom Class

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Fingers crossed:
    "Fort vs Exploding" - (1d20+17)[32]

Anyway, I think it's your turn again, ~Corvus~. There's only Tai who can actually act this round.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-12-12 at 10:19 AM.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, Guys. I am now 100% caught up with the two threads. As soon as I get a few questions answered through PMs, I'll be ready to move the story along and finally bring you guys back together. In the meantime, though, are you guys using typical Initiative rolls for combat? If so, we may need some from everyone (assuming that I'm not missing some in the IC threads, which is totally possible).
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Group initiative, I think. Which we didn't get to roll, because Eurykhrys was the only opponent, and she ambushed us.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alright. Alala's not charged recently, so she's got her full 30AC for once. Then you hit her with a 4 point dex penalty, so she's down to 28. By my count, that means she was hit by 1 viper (viper 2) for 5 HP damage (reduced to 3 by her armor), and a DC13 poison, against which she rolls "Fort vs Poison" - (1d20+20)[26]. Plus 16 non-lethal damage. Then the Fast Healing heals 2 points of each of those, leaving her down 13HP/14NLHP. Plus the CON damage if I just rolled a '1'.

Edit: Nope, heals non-lethal first, not both together.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-12-12 at 06:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

And thus we have an enigmatic caster losing her marbles, willing to risk those that might have called her friend.
    more

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Some questions (particularly because I am not so certain about spell casting):

1. I think successful defensive casting avoids my AoO, but as I understand it, it is no defense against my readied action.

2. Because my readied action damage is "[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm]damage[ taken] during the action," it must be added to the concentration check to successfully cast. (Footnote 2 of the table specifically refernces readied actions.) That means (assuming Tai's energy ray touch attack hit, she has a minimum DC 69 concentration check to make to cast her spell. ("I'm a very smart rat. I planned this out.")

3. Assuming she succeeded anyway, I need to know if Alala and Omar are within the blast. (I'm thinking Omar's wall of thorns might block it.) Because this is a case for damp power, and Tai needs to know if he needs to augment it to protect them, too. (Damage is revised to minimum.)

4. I think the math on empower spell is off: I've understood it to be +50% of the variable effects, so that would be the dice roll before any modifiers. Damage as I would calculate it (after damp power): 11*1.5+11=27.5; damage if modifiers are also increased: (11+11)*1.5=33. Ref for half.

Speaking of which: Ref Save - (1d20+18)[23]
    Custom Class

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

My reading of the Readied Action rules is that Tai's action would interrupt Eurykhrys' turn, but precede the actual action that triggered it.

Quote Originally Posted by d20SRD
    The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.
    Which, to my way of thinking, would only force a concentration check if you managed to trigger it part way through a spell that takes more than a single action to cast.

Anyway, you don't need to shield Alala from the blast - she's got plenty of HP to spare, this seems to be the end of the combat, and she's got that fast healing amulet on.

Though I'd also like to know if I need to roll her reflex save.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

. . . except that the description under the Concentration skill is specific: "damaged during the action" (fn. 2) "Also, damage stemming from an attack of opportunity or readied attack made in response to the spell being cast (for spells with a casting time of 1 standard action) or the action being taken (for activities requiring no more than a full-round action)." (Bold added)

Discussion under the Ready Action option expressly alludes to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Ready Action
    Distracting Spellcasters
    You can ready an attack against a spellcaster with the trigger "if she starts casting a spell." If you damage the spellcaster, she may lose the spell she was trying to cast (as determined by her Concentration check result).
    The "occurs just before the action that triggers it" language is not always applicable, or it must be carefully understood. In the case of a readied attack, I understand it to be damage during the spell casting but before the spell is complete. This makes sense of the usage in the Concentration table as well as the text references thereto.

Similarly, counterspelling: it would make no sense to view a counterspell as preceding the spell you are countering. It counters by being done at the same time.

That's how I make sense of the rules, at least.

Oh, and the pp cost to extend the damp power to Omar and Alala is trivial. (I want to say ~ 4pp.) Tai would rather you saved your HP for absorbing something that might otherwise hurt him. ("Always looking out for number one, even if you think I'm being altruistic. I'm one of a kind, after all, and an endangered species.")
    Custom Class

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

....aaaand that's why I shouldn't try weighing in on rules questions at 1:55AM. It's *way* too early in the morning to read footnotes!

As for the protection, I was more gambling that the nearly-dead Eurykhyrs won't be able to hit Alala with anything else, so she'll have fast healed all the damage before it becomes relevant.

Plus Alala's just going to Iron Heart Surge her way out of the chains (Since she can't make the Strength or Escape Artist checks to escape any other way), so they won't get a chance to deal more non-lethal damage to her either.

*shrug* Still, it's your PP, and I doubt you'll miss 4 of them that badly.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

Some questions (particularly because I am not so certain about spell casting):

1. I think successful defensive casting avoids my AoO, but as I understand it, it is no defense against my readied action.

2. Because my readied action damage is "[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/concentration.htm]damage[ taken] during the action," it must be added to the concentration check to successfully cast. (Footnote 2 of the table specifically refernces readied actions.) That means (assuming Tai's energy ray touch attack hit, she has a minimum DC 69 concentration check to make to cast her spell. ("I'm a very smart rat. I planned this out.")
    THis I can't argue with. Deleting post to modify it.
    more

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    *shrug* Still, it's your PP, and I doubt you'll miss 4 of them that badly.
    I'd forgotten about your fast healing, which really does make it unnecessary. (This battle should be over really soon, I think.)

Still, it's the same pp cost, whether it helps just Omar or both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Corvus~ View Post
    THis I can't argue with. Deleting post to modify it.
    But, but –

This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.

(It's nice to be right about something every now and then, as long as I don't make a habit of it.)
    Custom Class

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

But, but –
    This is the internet! Everyone argues everything. You can't just let me think I'm right. That's not how things are done in this age.
    Sigging this.
    more

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Flatterer.
    Custom Class

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh god. First IC post. EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

^^^

Honestly, that was me when I realized I was turning control of the game (temporarily) over to another player. At some point I gotta sit back and hope it will turn out alright =)
    more

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Let's see if I can hear and get back into this thing.

Hear: (1d20+12)[22]

UGH
    Last edited by Nyarai; 2016-12-16 at 08:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A. The forum is giving me grief with some sort of floating banner at the bottom of the screen, redirects, and pop-up attempts. Checking the Board/Site Issues forum, it looks like this is not an isolated thing, but I don't think the Admins have gotten to it yet. (Lots of user complaints; no Admin posts yet.)

B. Dang! Those snakes are good. I thought my AC would keep me pretty well protected, but two of the three rolled well enough for hits. I did not notice a roll for miss chance, though, so in the event that's still needed:
    snake 1 (1d2)[1] (low misses)
    snake 3 (1d2)[1] (low misses)
    Custom Class

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

All righty.

Took a bit off digging to rediscover the monster stats being used in this campaign. Think I've got a good hand on this now.

Spoiler: To Players in Snake Central
    Show

Both snakes that would have hit now miss, so you're good there.
    While I generally don't prompt these things, everyone in snake central is free to make Knowledge (Local) or Knowledge (History) checks to learn a bit about medusae if you have not otherwise made the attempt.